Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • foolsgold99
    • By foolsgold99 6th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 376Posts
    • 71Thanks
    foolsgold99
    Home CCTV Recommendations
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    Home CCTV Recommendations 6th Jun 17 at 6:59 PM
    Hi,
    I'm looking for some recommendations for a home CCTV setup. Ideally I would like three cameras (4 is also fine). There are so many out there so recommendations from those in the know would be great.

Ideally I would like:

Great Low Light Capability
    Wide Angle
    Good Quality
    Power over Ethernet (POE)
    Waterproof - They're for outside
    Accessible via smart phone

I've read that SSD aren't great for CCTV systems so suppose that it'll be a hard drive.

Any link to a good system would be appreciated
Page 1
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 6th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    I've recently installed a Swann NVR4-4700 system. It's a 4M pixel camera system that comes with either 4 or 2 cameras. It came from Coditech via eBay. It is about as good as it gets for an easy to install home system.

While I won't profess to be an expert, a few tips that might help:

It's cheaper to buy a kit with 4 cameras than it is to get one with 2 and add extra ones.

The recorder is quite noisy, install it well away from bedrooms.

There are no junction boxes with the kits, you need a box around 3 inches or 4 inches square to keep the connections dry. A basic box is less than £2 from Screwfix.

You need to drill quite a large hole to feed the RJ45 plug through. The supplied cables are only indoor grade, if you need an outdoor run you need to source outdoor grade cables yourself. They are not expensive. High grade Cat6 cable with fitted plugs costs about £20 plus post for a 30m cable.

Infrared illumination looks impressive on fixed objects, unfortunately the cameras drop to a very slow shutter speed rendering moving objects little a blur. It's not a fault of Swann. Consider additional illumination on critical areas.

I've had cameras that drop dramatically in nighttime sensitivity due to a glitch stopping the ir blocking filter moving out of the camera light path when the light level drops. They needed resetting, unfortunately this involves pressing a reset button at the camera while reconnecting the Ethernet cable... don't install the cameras where you can't reach them with a short ladder or steps.

Spiders love spinning webs in front of cameras, you need a paintbrush on a stick, or a long feather duster to clear the webs on a regular basis.

If you need more info drop me a message.
    • bingo bango
    • By bingo bango 7th Jun 17, 11:10 AM
    • 2,459 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    bingo bango
    • 7th Jun 17, 11:10 AM
    • 7th Jun 17, 11:10 AM

Spiders love spinning webs in front of cameras, you need a paintbrush on a stick, or a long feather duster to clear the webs on a regular basis.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north

That. My biggest bugbear with cameras. I wake up each morning with hundreds of movement notifications due to the spiders.

The system I have cost just under £100 with two wired cameras. It has been in for about 6 weeks now, and the only real issue I have had (apart from the spiders!) is that one of the cameras is slow to go back to daytime mode due to the positioning under the eaves.

Not the easiest installation job ever, but certainly achievable with basic DIY skills.

The make is Annke and they have good selection of systems HERE on Amazon.

Bear in mind that whilst some of the systems are called '1080p' this refers to the display resolution, not all of the cameras. The ones I got are 720p. Perfectly fine for what they do, but make sure you get what you actually want!

Second the point that frozen made too about needing a junction box. I got an IP65 box for a couple of pounds in Screwfix, which is an absolutely necessary piece of the puzzle.

My box is very quiet. I have it sitting about 8 feet from my bed, and have never heard it operating....despite the best efforts of the spiders.

Also has a decent Android app which is very easy to use when set up.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 7th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 7th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    Biggest problem with my Foscam is it motion detects rain at night. About as much use as a chocolate teapot. Guess the best fix is to disable IR and put a nice bright motion-sensing light up...
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 7th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 1,504 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 7th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    I would highly suggest the hikvision range (usuaully rebadged as Swann) low cost and excellent performance
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 7th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 11,519 Posts
    • 6,448 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 7th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    Biggest problem with my Foscam is it motion detects rain at night. About as much use as a chocolate teapot. Guess the best fix is to disable IR and put a nice bright motion-sensing light up...
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    Unavoidable in whatever you buy, at the end of the day motion is motion, whether it's rain, fog or a human being.
    By far the worst thing is spiders, which try to nest on the camera due to the IR leds attracting flying insects. One of these can wipe out your HDD storage in just one night.

Positioning can help though, sheltering the camera can help, but other than that you just have to accept it.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • foolsgold99
    • By foolsgold99 7th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    foolsgold99
    • 7th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    Thanks to you all. It's much appreciated. There are just so many out there and like you have said, many quote numbers for image quality but these can be misleading.

It would be good to get recommendation and be able to see some sample day and night footage on YouTube.

I've seen of power over Ethernet powered ones which look like they would be easier to hook up. Again, not entirely sure though.

Thanks again though
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 7th Jun 17, 7:31 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 7th Jun 17, 7:31 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 7:31 PM
    there's no reason why you can't put an SSD in a CCTV box if that's what you want - to get a decent storage size SSD is quite expensive though at the moment and it'll be cheaper to get a 2Tb mechanical/normal drive than a 500Gb SSD.
    • foolsgold99
    • By foolsgold99 7th Jun 17, 8:13 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    foolsgold99
    • 7th Jun 17, 8:13 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 8:13 PM
    there's no reason why you can't put an SSD in a CCTV box if that's what you want - to get a decent storage size SSD is quite expensive though at the moment and it'll be cheaper to get a 2Tb mechanical/normal drive than a 500Gb SSD.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    After lots of reading the general consensus is that SSDs are not great for continuous writing so HDD probably best. Thanks though
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 8th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Somebody put an SSD in a Sky+ box which is the same principle, constantly reading and writing (for the Sky+ pause feature) and it was still going three years later so it can be done and SSDs are more durable now than they used to be...

But yes if you want the storage capability and option to hold recordings for any decent length of time, get the biggest drive you can get. You can get 4Tb ones now for just over £100.
    • anajames
    • By anajames 8th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    anajames
    I would highly recommend the hikvision range they are the same as the swann brand as people have mentioned it here already. Not so heavy on the pocket as well.
    • foolsgold99
    • By foolsgold99 9th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    foolsgold99
    I would highly recommend the hikvision range they are the same as the swann brand as people have mentioned it here already. Not so heavy on the pocket as well.
    Originally posted by anajames
    Thanks. Any links to one of those systems?
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 9th Jun 17, 9:33 AM
    • 978 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    rtho782
    I would look at the Ubiquiti Gen 3 cameras. Very good system.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,114Posts Today

8,611Users online

Martin's Twitter