Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tanyab
    • By tanyab 6th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 15Thanks
    tanyab
    Finding weight loss very hard :(
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    Finding weight loss very hard :( 6th Jun 17 at 6:35 PM
    Please help
    Is there somewhere where you can meet people but can weigh yourself privately?
    I hate this public weighing obsession even if it is just in front of the Group Leader!!
    I am too ashamed to weigh myself currently, never mind have a stranger be involved!!!
    Since the Menopause I have gone up 3 to 4 clothes sizes and would like to get to grips with it now I am 50.
    It is very depressing.
    I started peri menopausal when I was 41 but I have been properly post menopausal for 3 years now.
    I am very depressed about this.
Page 1
    • springdreams
    • By springdreams 6th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 31,354 Thanks
    springdreams
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    I am not aware of anywhere that offers the type of service you are looking for.

Have you spoken to your GP? Sometimes GP surgeries offer weight loss clinics. But you wouldn't get the support of a group through a clinic. They would simply weigh you and perhaps provide guidance on diet.

Another alternative would be to join one of the usual groups - Weight Watchers or Slimming World, and just go for the group support but tell the leader you are not comfortable yet with being weighed.

Note that when you are weighed in these type of groups your weight stays between you and the group leader. Others cannot see the scales, and you are not obliged to share your weight with others within the group.
    Last edited by springdreams; 06-06-2017 at 8:13 PM.
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    Originally posted by squeaky
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 6th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 10,991 Thanks
    Hermia
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    Note that when you are weighed in these type of groups your weight stays between you and the group leader. Others cannot see the scales, and you are not obliged to share your weight with others within the group.
    Originally posted by springdreams
    Exactly. I think all the mainstream slimming companies know public weigh-ins freak people out. I used to go to WeightWatchers and if you reached a milestone the leader would always ask if you wanted it to be mentioned to the class or not.
    • emilybc
    • By emilybc 7th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    emilybc
    • 7th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    Hi Tanyab,

Sorry to hear you are feeling depressed. Although I can't be much help regarding a group, there is a website called Minimins which is a big community of people trying to lose weight, with advice on different diets and methods.

Everyone there is very supportive and it might be a good place for you to go for help and somewhere to chat about weight loss. There might even be advice about weight around the menopause, specifically.

Take care and hope you feel better soon
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 7th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    • 8,010 Posts
    • 26,688 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 7th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    Have you tried myfitnesspal? you can weigh yourself privately but there is a large support community if you do want to talk about it.
    • tanyab
    • By tanyab 7th Jun 17, 5:50 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    tanyab
    • 7th Jun 17, 5:50 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 5:50 PM
    I will look into that thanks
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 7th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 22,286 Posts
    • 57,137 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 7th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    I started Michael Mosley's Intermittent Fasting, the 5:2 Diet in April 2016.

DD had bought me the book, so we both used the recipes to follow it. There is also a website with forums and people who are very helpful and encouraging.

It took me until September to reach target, with a holiday in the middle. I've since lost another 1/2 st, 2 st in total. OH has list 3 st.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 7th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 16,454 Posts
    • 278,267 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    • 7th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    I used to do the weighing at a slimming club and we had several people who didn't want to know what their actual weight was. They just wanted to know how many pounds up or down they were.

Suggestions above are very good. Good luck
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...

Attempt number 7854- W1-3 -6lbs
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 7th Jun 17, 7:15 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 2,521 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 7th Jun 17, 7:15 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 7:15 PM
    Could you separate the meeting people and weight loss parts? Weigh yourself at home, and meet people through a walking group or a low impact exercise class? Aquarobics is popular amongst ladies on a weight loss journey.

For the weight loss, set yourself small targets. I had a lot to lose when I started out and it was overwhelming. Breaking it down to half a stone at a time makes it far less daunting, and even after your first half stone you'll see quite a difference.

Good luck!
    • JeromeMarquez
    • By JeromeMarquez 9th Jun 17, 2:42 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JeromeMarquez
    Let's go to basic doing proper diet and exercise.
    • tanyab
    • By tanyab 9th Jun 17, 9:33 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    tanyab
    Thanks
    Anything to do with water is out but I might try a low impact class
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 11th Jun 17, 7:13 PM
    • 7,463 Posts
    • 5,377 Thanks
    pmduk

For the weight loss, set yourself small targets. I had a lot to lose when I started out and it was overwhelming. Breaking it down to half a stone at a time makes it far less daunting, and even after your first half stone you'll see quite a difference.

Good luck!
    Originally posted by IAmWales

You could take this further and just aim for the pounds at first. Have a non-weight goal to minimise emphasis on the weight numbers; eg lose a dress size in say x months.
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 12th Jun 17, 11:03 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    Ben84
    If you want to take part in the group, but have uncertainties about the weighing part, or really any of it, I don't think you'd be the first person to wonder about these things. It could help to contact the group leaders of some local groups, just talk it through with them and see where you end up. They may have some ideas that work for you.
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 16th Jun 17, 10:19 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    I find the best way to drop weight is to limit the amount of carbs I eat and when I do eat them its when I'm most active. Started two months ago on a fairly low carb diet coupled with running, starting weight was 17 1/2 st now sitting at 15st 9 granted this is mostly water weight but the difference is huge. Will take another few weeks before I start to see a reduction in fat.
    • Clowns and Jugglers
    • By Clowns and Jugglers 16th Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Clowns and Jugglers
    Probably best to try and do it privately, via an app.

No idea why slimming clubs (and hospitals) have public weighing sessions. I can see why it would put people off.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 16th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 987 Posts
    • 4,376 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    the mse old style board have a weightloss thread, they are very supportive, maybe you could join in with them?
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 28th Jun 17, 4:36 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 5,956 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Hey come and join us..on the old style thread....very inclusive. .no admitting your start weight...a few jokes..come and lurk for a while
    • Afternoonnapper
    • By Afternoonnapper 3rd Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Afternoonnapper
    How do you get to the old style?
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 3rd Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,872 Posts
    • 6,432 Thanks
    Ilona
    How do you get to the old style?
    Originally posted by Afternoonnapper
    You look down the list of forums for Old Style,

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

This is the thread you want.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143191

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 3rd Jul 17, 5:42 PM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 6,315 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Come and join us - we are very friendly

People have different goals and struggles - we just support each other.
    An alternative to weighing is to measure yourself instead. This can be done in the privacy of your own home and many people find that if the scales don't change much sometimes the shape and measurements do.

I just turned 50 and am peri or actually menopausal so weight loss has seemed more of a struggle this time - I have been lucky that my symptoms have been mild but I know that they are not for many people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,738Posts Today

8,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin