Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robert32
    • By robert32 6th Jun 17, 6:13 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 1Thanks
    robert32
    Deducting deposit for cleaning/rearraning furniture to original state
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:13 PM
    Deducting deposit for cleaning/rearraning furniture to original state 6th Jun 17 at 6:13 PM
    Hi there,

I've recently had a flat I've been renting out vacated. One of the tenants hasn't left his room in the cleanest of conditions and not returned the furniture to its original state. He has accepted this and offered to lose some of the deposit.

I don't want to take advantage and want to be fair. I intend to sort the issues myself, so what is fair deduct? Minimum wage * the time taken? The cost of bringing in a cleaner?

Any views welcome.

Cheers,

R.
Page 1
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Jun 17, 6:24 PM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 2,928 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:24 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:24 PM
    Rearranging furniture? You mean moving it around the room? How much will that cost you?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 45,188 Thanks
    G_M
    • 6th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    .... hasn't left his room in the cleanest of conditions and

not returned the furniture to its original state.
    Originally posted by robert32
    What matters is how it compares with the condition when he moved in. Comment please? and what exactly does the check-in inventory say? Did he sign it?

'Original state' or 'original position'?

If he's damaged it, then get quotes for repair/replacement.

If he's moved it, move it back!
    • robert32
    • By robert32 8th Jun 17, 12:44 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    robert32
    • 8th Jun 17, 12:44 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 12:44 PM
    Rearranging furniture? You mean moving it around the room? How much will that cost you?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel

Well, actually it takes quite a bit of time (hence the reason why it hasn't been done). Due to the shape of the room, it means dismantling beds, removing mattresses, reassembling beds, putting mattress back.., plus no doubt some cleaning .

So yes, I'm loosing at least an hour of my time to do this. What value can I place on that?
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 8th Jun 17, 12:52 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 8th Jun 17, 12:52 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 12:52 PM
    Is there a reason why the furniture needs to be put back to its original location? Why not leave it where it is and let a future tenant move it if they want to?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 2,472 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    £10 per hour plus cleaning materials. Let's say £30-£40 deducted from the deposit. Is it worth the hassle?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • G_M
    • By G_M 8th Jun 17, 1:14 PM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 45,188 Thanks
    G_M
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:14 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:14 PM
    Well, actually it takes quite a bit of time (hence the reason why it hasn't been done). Due to the shape of the room, it means dismantling beds, removing mattresses, reassembling beds, putting mattress back.., plus no doubt some cleaning .

So yes, I'm loosing at least an hour of my time to do this. What value can I place on that?
    Good grief! This is simply one of the costs associated with your business. When a tenant leaves, I go in and I know there will be jobs to do to get ready for the next tenancy.

Yes, if there is damage, I'll charge. If the place is dirty (and I made sure it was clean before that tenant moved in) I'll charge for cleaning. But there's always a bit of a wipe-round/hoover needed come what may.

Suck it up. Spend an hour getting the property straight, and be gratefull the place isn't trashed, or filthy, or abandoned with rent arrears.

(when I go shopping with women [apologies for the sexism] I'm amazed how they take clothes off the shelves, leave them lying around, leave them in the fitting room etc etc - the shop staff don't charge to put everything back; it's their job!)
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 8th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    parkrunner
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:25 PM

This has to be a wind up.
    • itchyfeet123
    • By itchyfeet123 8th Jun 17, 1:29 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    itchyfeet123
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:29 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:29 PM

If the tenant went to what seems like a reasonable amount of trouble to move it in the first place, I would wonder if it might be better the way s/he had it. Especially since you describe the room as being odd shaped, there's quite possibly something functional that is improved by the new layout, even if it's less aesthetically pleasing to someone who doesn't actually live in the room. Your next tenant might be pleased not to have to reverse your hard work.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 58,748 Posts
    • 341,864 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Clean and charge.

Leave the furniture ..... tell the new tenant they're welcome to move it around and point out how to dismantle the bed if it's not obvious.

The new tenant might prefer it how it is.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 8th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 2,310 Posts
    • 2,112 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Minimum wage.

But in seriousness, any reason why needs to put back and not just left?
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 8th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    • 7,670 Posts
    • 25,010 Thanks
    fairy lights

Why do the beds need to be dismantled to be moved? why move them at all?
    So what if you lose an hour of your time, you're a landlord, is spending one whole hour running your business really such a sacrifice?
    Jesus Christ man.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 8th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    aneary
    This is fairly common, my old landlord threatened a tenant with loose of deposit as a bed was in a different place (the bed did not have to be dismantled) I think this is a total !!!! take.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 8th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    • 2,971 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Does it specify on the inventory the exact position of the furniture? That would be quite unusual. If not, then you can't charge the tenant for moving furniture. As others have said, does it really matter?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 2,472 Thanks
    DoaM
    Any views welcome.
    I suspect OP won't be enamoured by the almost unanimous view of respondents.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • robert32
    • By robert32 13th Jun 17, 11:55 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    robert32
    Well, given the furniture was all over the place... room wasn't cleaned... and it took me in the end three hours to:

1. rearrange furniture
    2. clean
    3. put a curtain rail back up that had been put down

... so yes, I'll be taking something off. No, I don't see it as part of a tenant moving out. Whether it is on the inventory or contract may be important from a legal point of view, but not from the spirit of leaving a property in its original state. End of.

And actually the tenant had offered to sacrifice some of the deposit for the inconvenience, so my original post was to try and benchmark what would be fair to all concerned.

Thanks for the help.

Not.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 14th Jun 17, 12:04 AM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 5,100 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    I suspect OP won't be enamoured by the almost unanimous view of respondents.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Think you were right lol
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Jun 17, 12:05 AM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 45,188 Thanks
    G_M
    Glad you reached a compromise with the tenants.

But your 'not' seems somewhat unfair. You said
    Any views welcome.
    so should not be surprised if you received........ people's views!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,560Posts Today

8,317Users online

Martin's Twitter