Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kleary
    • By Kleary 6th Jun 17, 5:06 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kleary
    Do I need to pay a parking charge for a free car park?
    • 6th Jun 17, 5:06 PM
    Do I need to pay a parking charge for a free car park? 6th Jun 17 at 5:06 PM
    I have received a parking notice for parking I a free customer car park. The car park is private land for a shopping centre and is free to park for customers. I am staff and have been given a parking notice for £80. I just want to know if I need to pay this and what would happen if I just ignored it?
Page 1
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 6th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 1,956 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 6th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    Look around here and you'll see similar examples, and the sorts of information the experts will need to help you. At the moment they can't as you haven't provided enough information.Do your own research and they'll help you with the details. Might take a bit of time though..
    • waamo
    • By waamo 6th Jun 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 2,068 Thanks
    waamo
    • 6th Jun 17, 5:20 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 5:20 PM
    You need the dedicated parking board found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

Be sure to read the thread that tells Newbies to read it.
    This space for hire.
    • GothicStirling
    • By GothicStirling 6th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    GothicStirling
    • 6th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    Are you sure that it doesn't have a time limit for parking?
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 6th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    Most "free" car parks have a time limit, sometimes you "buy" a free ticket.
    Most require you to park in bays.
    Some ( Lidl ? ) require at least one person from the vehicle to remain on the shopping complex.
    Some need you to be able to produce a receipt for more than an amount, if staying longer than a time.

First step is probably to check what the notice board said, and the charge notice.
    Chances are that you missed some small print.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 6th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    • 7,248 Posts
    • 7,284 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    Chances are that you missed some small print.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    Given that the OP has ignored the FIG they agreed to have read and understood on signup and posted this thread in the wrong forum and failed to read the sticky that would have answered all their questions, it looks pretty certain they missed the small print.

So now they need to get into the correct forum and start by reading the Sticky carefully.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 6th Jun 17, 6:43 PM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 2,068 Thanks
    waamo
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:43 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:43 PM
    Given that the OP has ignored the FIG they agreed to have read and understood on signup and posted this thread in the wrong forum and failed to read the sticky that would have answered all their questions, it looks pretty certain they missed the small print.

So now they need to get into the correct forum and start by reading the Sticky carefully.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    Chances are their next post will be "I've had a court claim for a parking fine what do I do?"
    This space for hire.
    • facade
    • By facade 6th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 1,387 Thanks
    facade
    • 6th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    Or their employer will stop it out of their wages.....

Staff isn't customers, so it is not free for staff, probably somewhere in the contact of employment it says you can't park there, under pain of dire consequences/fines/warnings/dismissal.

Take it to the parking forum as advised.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • RickRastardly
    • By RickRastardly 6th Jun 17, 10:45 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    RickRastardly
    • 6th Jun 17, 10:45 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 10:45 PM
    Well he doesn't work by himself, I cant help feeling this could have been averted by a simple conversation with a work mate along the lines of ''where do you park''.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 8th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 2,017 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    20aday
    I work for a supermarket and for any staff using the store's car park we enter our registration into a machine at the customer service desk (when joining the company) to avoid receiving any fines from Parking Eye.

When you're next at work ask them where you're supposed to park when you're a colleague and it might be a good idea to contact the company who've sent you the letter with proof you were working that day and not shopping at the centre.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    • 48,323 Posts
    • 61,790 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Wow, you actually work in a place where ParkingEye infest. I hope you don't rejoice in working for Morrisons, who signed up for 5 years with a ridiculous contract that allows PE to sue their customers. Madness, stupidity, Morrisons regret it so much they cancel every PCN, every time a customer complains. But they can't save those who ignore and get sued.

More fool Morrisons for signing 5 year long contracts with a firm they could have Googled an discovered in minutes that PE have form (PE v Somerfield should have been a warning to them).

Aldi and Asda are just as bad in allowing this monster to harass their customers, having swallowed the spiel about ANPR.

Not sure I could stomach them breathing down my neck every day at my workplace (no chance!!), trouble is most Supermarkets are so damn stupid they use parking firms despite the fact most locations DO NOT 'need' one at all.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 9th Jun 17, 10:49 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Maybe the OP will be back later, to complain that parking signs should also be in braille.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th Jun 17, 11:11 PM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 2,068 Thanks
    waamo
    This forum could do with a FAQ thread. One for Newbies that clearly instructed them to read it first.

Ideally it would contain answers to every question you could think of. It would be even better if it was a sticky thread.

Sadly I can't se it happening.
    This space for hire.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 9th Jun 17, 11:29 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    This forum could do with a FAQ thread. One for Newbies that clearly instructed them to read it first.
    Ideally it would contain answers to every question you could think of. It would be even better if it was a sticky thread.
    Sadly I can't see it happening.
    I'm hoping that one day some experts on saving money will set up a forum, but I am equally pessimistic.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Jun 17, 11:30 PM
    • 48,323 Posts
    • 61,790 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I'm hoping that one day some experts on saving money will set up a forum, but I am equally pessimistic.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    I was hoping that one day, someone might invent some sort of inter-network between computers so we could all talk to each other...but hey ho, that's just a pipe dream...

PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Half_way
    • By Half_way 10th Jun 17, 9:53 AM
    • 3,654 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    Half_way
    This topic/post appears to have been moved to the parking board from elsewhere.
    its also been 4 days since the OP started this topic, with no further information added.

If the OP ( original Poster - Kleary) is reading this then i suggest they do the following:
    Understand that private companys can not fine people.
    Ask collegues etc about parking , and see what the employee handbook ( or other such thing) says about parking)
    read the sticky thread in the parking forum
    post back here with some more information/ follow up, otherwise this thread will just become a talking shop
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 11th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    this thread will just become a talking shop
    Good point, we don't want that.
    In fact I was discussing such a problem with my brother last Tuesday, and I know it was a Tuesday, because my neighbour was washing his shed, and he always does that on a Tuesday, ever since his dog died, which was very sad for him, because it was a year to the day that his wife ran off with the milkman . . . etc.

OK, I'm done.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,222Posts Today

8,333Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin