Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oj29
    • By oj29 6th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 2Thanks
    oj29
    Furniture delivery - ruined carpets
    • 6th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    Furniture delivery - ruined carpets 6th Jun 17 at 4:51 PM
    Hi all,
    I recently ordered some new furniture from IKEA to be delivered to a new house which had not been moved into yet and had to pay £35 to actually have it delivered. Yes, really, £35 for delivery!

As advertised on their site, they will also bring the furniture into your desired room, up the stairs, etc. since I was paying £35 I figured they could at least put it all in the correct rooms. As this is IKEA they should be doing this day in, day out so I had no worries at all; it turns out they contract out this service to a courier company.
    Anyway, upon asking them to bring it upstairs I saw that the brand new cream carpets installed throughout the house were now covered in mud from the boots.

After complaining to IKEA I was told they would be investigating it with the delivery company and they may be in touch. I pestered them but didn't really get anywhere. I did tell them that actually my contract is with IKEA and not the delivery company, I should not be dealing with the delivery company in any way - thats their business. Completely out of the blue I received a phone call from a solicitor acting on behalf of the delivery company who wanted me to send some photos across of the 'damage' and also to get some quotes to clean the carpet and send them across.

I was just wondering how to approach this? I don't really see why the delivery company are contacting me and attempting to intimidate me in giving up on this, really IKEA should have issued a refund and paid for the cleaning costs and then they should have tried to retrieve this from the delivery company?

Thanks in advance
Page 3
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 9th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    upon asking them to bring it upstairs
    seems to me like you invited them in and failed to lay paper down or ask them to remove their muddy boots.
    • adonis
    • By adonis 9th Jun 17, 10:42 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    adonis
    Some people don't like outside footwear being worn in the house which is fine especially if you have light carpets.

Then it would be a good idea to buy a box of disposable overshoes
    £3.99 for a box of 100 from Screwfix for delivery and tradesmen to wear.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Jun 17, 12:24 AM
    • 19,242 Posts
    • 9,357 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Originally posted by adonis
    You are late to the party.

Such overshoes were suggested earlier in the thread and it was pointed out that many delivery agents already now bring their own such overshoes to avoid any such claim as in this thread....
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Jun 17, 9:55 AM
    • 9,968 Posts
    • 6,966 Thanks
    neilmcl
    seems to me like you invited them in and failed to lay paper down or ask them to remove their muddy boots.
    Originally posted by NotRichAtAll
    Probably wouldn't be allowed to remove footwear, particularly if it's safety footwear when delivering heavy objects.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 10th Jun 17, 10:07 AM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 3,402 Thanks
    glentoran99
    When IKEA delivered to me I'd to sign then hadn't caused any damage, did you not?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,794Posts Today

8,408Users online

Martin's Twitter