Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jordanjim
    • By jordanjim 6th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 24Thanks
    jordanjim
    ebay authorised return although item was as described
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    ebay authorised return although item was as described 6th Jun 17 at 2:42 PM
    A buyer bought an item from me recently (quite large and heavy, went by courier). I posted clear photos of the item and mentioned a defect with it in the listing. I expected it to be bought by someone willing to repair it, or who didn't need the part that was actually defective.

The buyer has now started an item not as described case because he says that the item cannot be used with the defect. This should have been absolutely obvious to any person with common sense and it's quite clear that the buyer either didn't read the full listing, or didn't comprehend that the item would need repairing.

I responded to him stating that because the defect was listed in the description and photos that I am not able to accept returns. He has escalated it to ebay, stating a great big pack of lies - that I'm a professional dealer of this item trying to con him etc. I have no idea where he's got this from, as I'm a private seller of old stuff lying around the house and have only one other similar item in my other listings.

Unbelievably, ebay have told him to return the item for a refund, and have told me I'll have to pay return postage. This will likely put me out of pocket over £40 for couriers. I want to dispute this, but can't see a way of doing so until he's actually returned the item.

What would people do in this situation? Would ebay be at all helpful if I contact them by phone or email before the item's delivered? Should I refuse the parcel when it arrives? It seems that ebay will automatically give the buyer a refund and dock me for return postage if the item gets delivered back to me, and I have a horrible feeling that if I have the item then they'll just rule in the buyer's favour again in a dispute case because it'll be easier for them.
Page 2
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Jun 17, 1:41 AM
    • 58,746 Posts
    • 41,595 Thanks
    soolin
    give Paypal a call and explain to them and see what they say. they are great over the telephone
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    I agree, I would give PayPal a call and don't let this slide.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jun 17, 7:51 AM
    • 10,464 Posts
    • 7,039 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Just to add, Ebay give a buyer 30 days from latest or actual delivery date to open a case, Paypal give 180 days.

A buyer can still open a case in Ebay after the 30 days but they cannot escalate it. Sometimes when this happens, the funds are held in Paypal but there is no Paypal case open. Could this be the case here?
    • izzy65
    • By izzy65 9th Jun 17, 8:39 AM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 40,807 Thanks
    izzy65
    Thank you for all the replies, I will call paypal today. I really think that the help on this site is second to none
    The person who never makes a mistake never learns anything.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 9th Jun 17, 9:34 AM
    • 757 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Just to add, Ebay give a buyer 30 days from latest or actual delivery date to open a case, Paypal give 180 days.

A buyer can still open a case in Ebay after the 30 days but they cannot escalate it. Sometimes when this happens, the funds are held in Paypal but there is no Paypal case open. Could this be the case here?
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    The OP called ebay and was told no refund as over 30 days.
    • izzy65
    • By izzy65 9th Jun 17, 10:07 AM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 40,807 Thanks
    izzy65

Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Update, as theonlywayisup suggested there was no open case in paypal and having spoken to them this morning they have released the funds on hold as ebay say there s no substance to his claim
    The person who never makes a mistake never learns anything.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jun 17, 10:59 AM
    • 10,464 Posts
    • 7,039 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    The OP called ebay and was told no refund as over 30 days.
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    A buyer can open a case longer than the 30 day deadline implies. The 30 day deadline is for the case to have any substance, ie, that it can be escalated. Cases that are opened after 30 days cannot be escalated and it's purely a form of communication that ebay allow for buyer and seller.

The seller can still make a refund over 30 days but they can do it without threat of it being enforced.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,375Posts Today

7,268Users online

Martin's Twitter