Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • taptaps
    • By taptaps 6th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    taptaps
    Using same conyenacer as seller
    • 6th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    Using same conyenacer as seller 6th Jun 17 at 1:47 PM
    Hi

Would you recommend finding out who the seller is using for conveyancing then using them too so that its simpler?
Page 1
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 6th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    sparky130a
    • 6th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    Absolutely no way.

And

a) It won't make things simpler
    b) Do you not want your legal representation to only have your interests in mind?
    c) Any conveyancer worth their salt would turn you down flat. It's a conflict of interests. They can suggest someone in their firm but i'd turn that down too.

Don't do it...
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 6th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    I have known it happen in some very rare circumstances, where both buyer and seller were existing clients of the same firm, and a separate partner was looking after each file.

But aside from that don't, for the reasons Sparky has outlined.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 6th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 3,777 Posts
    • 2,358 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    their not from the same estate agent are they??? Generally avoid services from EA, they have a markup in price and commission for the EA, guess who pays for it?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 6th Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    their not from the same estate agent are they??? Generally avoid services from EA, they have a markup in price and commission for the EA, guess who pays for it?
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    My experience is they are generally useless with it.

I have 3 - 4 local firms I direct clients towards, who are totally independent from my firm, and I receive no commission, nor have ever sought any. I might get a bottle or two at Christmas, if that counts.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 6th Jun 17, 2:49 PM
    • 3,777 Posts
    • 2,358 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:49 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:49 PM

I have 3 - 4 local firms I direct clients towards, who are totally independent from my firm, and I receive no commission, nor have ever sought any. I might get a bottle or two at Christmas, if that counts.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA

Try telling that to Connells or countrywide. Because of the bad rep of EA's in general I avoid them altogether.

Just getting a building survey quote from them 2 years ago and it was almost double i got quoted independently which confirmed my suspicious, rip off.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 6th Jun 17, 2:53 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:53 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:53 PM
    The same solicitor / conveyancer can't work for both of you as it would be a conflict of interest. Sometimes different people from the same firm can work for each of you but they would have to be completely segregated, and so would not make things any more efficient.
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 6th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    sparky130a
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:59 PM

Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    TBF we all know who we are talking about. The "national" companies.

And they do push it. It's income stream. Given your reasoned comments on here i have to presume you're not of their ilk...
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Jun 17, 5:38 PM
    • 41,100 Posts
    • 47,243 Thanks
    G_M
    • 6th Jun 17, 5:38 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 5:38 PM
    Hi

Would you recommend finding out who the seller is using for conveyancing then using them too so that its simpler?
    Originally posted by taptaps
    Yes, I'd recommend finding out who the seller is using for conveyancing.

But then I'd recommend NOT using them.

Find your own conveyancer who is totally independant of and unconnected to

a) the seller
    b) the seller's estate agent
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 6th Jun 17, 5:45 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    I twice used a solicitor from the same firm, in the late 80's.

That went well, but I am perhaps a bit more cynical now.
    • BiBi
    • By BiBi 7th Jun 17, 12:37 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    BiBi
    I am moving from one town to another one nearby. Turns out the seller is already being represented by 'my' solicitors in the new town.
    The solicitors called to say it was a conflict of interest so couldn't represent both of us and clearly advised I had the choice to go elsewhere or I could use 'my' solicitors in my current town.

I chose the latter and there have been no problems. It hasn't made anything any quicker I don't believe, I'm still as frustrated at the slow progress as everyone else waiting to exchange on here seems to be!! But, in my current experience, I've not had any problems, so I'm thankful for that
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 9th Jun 17, 10:52 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    A colleague managed to move a chain along, by putting out that everyone had agreed on a certain moving date ; and once the rumour got legs, everyone actually got on with it.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Jun 17, 10:59 PM
    • 5,803 Posts
    • 5,550 Thanks
    davidmcn
    I am moving from one town to another one nearby. Turns out the seller is already being represented by 'my' solicitors in the new town.
    The solicitors called to say it was a conflict of interest so couldn't represent both of us and clearly advised I had the choice to go elsewhere or I could use 'my' solicitors in my current town.

I chose the latter and there have been no problems. It hasn't made anything any quicker I don't believe, I'm still as frustrated at the slow progress as everyone else waiting to exchange on here seems to be!! But, in my current experience, I've not had any problems, so I'm thankful for that
    Originally posted by BiBi
    Well, they haven't told you about any problems. The risk is that your solicitor might be more inclined to turn a blind eye to issues rather than rock the boat with one of their colleagues by asking awkward questions. And you don't find out until e.g. when you come to sell.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 11th Jun 17, 6:57 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    The risk is that your solicitor might be more inclined to turn a blind eye to issues rather than rock the boat with one of their colleagues
    Fair point. Two heads are only better than one, if they can think independently.
    I last bought a house in 1989, when the business was less adversarial.
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 11th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    sparky130a
    Fair point. Two heads are only better than one, if they can think independently.
    I last bought a house in 1989, when the business was less adversarial.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    I don't even think it is that.

Correct me if i'm wrong but National chains were much less common back in 1989?

Now they are everywhere, sometimes multiples in any given town.

That's a massive overhead cost.

Office leases,staff costs,heating,electric etc etc....

Those costs need covering before any profit. Any income stream is worth considering.

Like Father Dougal said...

"As you know Ted i'm very cynical.."

But i believe those income streams are to the detriment of mainly the buyer but also the vendor...
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 11th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    Mickygg
    Absolutely no way.

And

a) It won't make things simpler
    b) Do you not want your legal representation to only have your interests in mind?
    c) Any conveyancer worth their salt would turn you down flat. It's a conflict of interests. They can suggest someone in their firm but i'd turn that down too.

Don't do it...
    Originally posted by sparky130a
    This is wrong.

It's not a conflict of interest as long as different partners deal with the case. Any conveyancer worth their salt will turn you down? Not from my experience.

OP by chance when I bought my last house I was using the same solicitors as my buyers. Different partners for buyer and seller. This was only 5 years ago.

From offer to completion was 2.5 months and all smooth. I would do it again Definately.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th Jun 17, 9:33 PM
    • 5,803 Posts
    • 5,550 Thanks
    davidmcn
    It's not a conflict of interest as long as different partners deal with the case. Any conveyancer worth their salt will turn you down? Not from my experience.

OP by chance when I bought my last house I was using the same solicitors as my buyers. Different partners for buyer and seller. This was only 5 years ago.

From offer to completion was 2.5 months and all smooth. I would do it again Definately.
    Originally posted by Mickygg
    It's enough of a potential conflict that it's prohibited in Scotland (except within some very narrow exceptions). Not sure why the English don't take the same view.

Like I said above, the fact it was "all smooth" shouldn't necessarily be reassuring.
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 11th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    sparky130a
    This is wrong.

Originally posted by Mickygg
    Which is exactly to a word what I stated was it not?

Please don't be disingenuous with the editing of my posts. It helps no one.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 12th Jun 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Perhaps many of our stories are a case of, "Once bitten, twice shy ; once bitten very badly, shy for a long time".
    • scriv
    • By scriv 13th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    scriv
    Having recently sold a property to a family member and asking to use one solicitor with different partners in the practice, the solicitors declined stating 'conflict of interest' as the reason.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,586Posts Today

7,516Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin