Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happyhero
    • By happyhero 6th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1,102Posts
    • 54Thanks
    happyhero
    my email wont change from IMAP to POP, help please
    • 6th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    my email wont change from IMAP to POP, help please 6th Jun 17 at 1:16 PM
    Hi, I have a Sky email account and I use Incredimail which up until last few days worked fine. My emails downloaded from Sky to my Incredimail on my PC but now they are staying on my Sky account too which I dont want.

After Googling I found out that this is due to my Incredimail being set to IMAP and that if I changed it to POP then I could make it remove the emails from the server.

I'm not sure what could have happened in the last few days to make this happen so I can only assume some update or something changed it, sounds a bit odd I know but cant think of anything else.

Anyway if I now remove the account on Incredimail it will only allow auto setup as I set up the account as new and it always inserts imap.tools.sky.com which works but leaves the emails on my server too.

So I looked on the Sky Help about this and it said to go to properties on the account settings and simply change it to pop.tools.sky.com which I did but it never downloads any emails this way.

Any idea what is wrong, I am stumped, tried restarts and everything.

Any help appreciated.
Page 2
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 14th Jun 17, 3:41 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    Shrimply
    In this way it would still empty my server Inbox as it loads my Thunderbird Inbox, like I have been doing up to now with Incredimail, I mean what is the benefit with this senario in using IMAP instead?
    Originally posted by happyhero
    The difference is that IMAP understands folders, so it's all one easy process. I personally think it's a more flexible option.

You could use POP3 but uploading back onto the server isn't going to be as easy.

Under the set-up I described Thunderbird would move the emails out of the inbox on your server, so as you want, you would have a clean inbox when you logged on online but by uploading to a separate folder, you can also access all your archived emails from anywhere, should you need to.

It is of course entirely up to you, and could be set-up using POP3, in this case you would probably want to set up the server to copy the emails to another folder to act as a back up, rather than Thunderbird.
    • happyhero
    • By happyhero 15th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    happyhero
    The difference is that IMAP understands folders, so it's all one easy process. I personally think it's a more flexible option.

You could use POP3 but uploading back onto the server isn't going to be as easy.

Under the set-up I described Thunderbird would move the emails out of the inbox on your server, so as you want, you would have a clean inbox when you logged on online but by uploading to a separate folder, you can also access all your archived emails from anywhere, should you need to.

It is of course entirely up to you, and could be set-up using POP3, in this case you would probably want to set up the server to copy the emails to another folder to act as a back up, rather than Thunderbird.
    Originally posted by Shrimply
    Hi Shrimply decided to try Thunderbird on my mothers PC as I had previously installed Incredimail for her and had recently had major problems with it and had resorted to just getting her emails from the server.

Anyway after installing Thunderbird my immediate concern is its almost impossible to set up a simple password login for it (I Googled a bit to see if there is any options for this after I couldn't find it in Thunderbird). My mother has emails that she wants to keep private as one relative in particular comes round and uses the PC and is a bit too nosey.

Do you know a way to resolve this missing password login?
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 15th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    Shrimply
    This Add-On should prevent Thunderbird opening until a password is entered, which I think is what you want.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/addon/startupmaster/versions/?page=1#version-1.6.2
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,481Posts Today

8,485Users online

Martin's Twitter