Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happyhero
    • By happyhero 6th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1,089Posts
    • 54Thanks
    happyhero
    my email wont change from IMAP to POP, help please
    • 6th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    my email wont change from IMAP to POP, help please 6th Jun 17 at 1:16 PM
    Hi, I have a Sky email account and I use Incredimail which up until last few days worked fine. My emails downloaded from Sky to my Incredimail on my PC but now they are staying on my Sky account too which I dont want.

After Googling I found out that this is due to my Incredimail being set to IMAP and that if I changed it to POP then I could make it remove the emails from the server.

I'm not sure what could have happened in the last few days to make this happen so I can only assume some update or something changed it, sounds a bit odd I know but cant think of anything else.

Anyway if I now remove the account on Incredimail it will only allow auto setup as I set up the account as new and it always inserts imap.tools.sky.com which works but leaves the emails on my server too.

So I looked on the Sky Help about this and it said to go to properties on the account settings and simply change it to pop.tools.sky.com which I did but it never downloads any emails this way.

Any idea what is wrong, I am stumped, tried restarts and everything.

Any help appreciated.
Page 2
    • crghsam
    • By crghsam 13th Jun 17, 9:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    crghsam
    Don't you need to create a new account and then copy across locally all the emails that were previously downloaded in IMAP?
    Also all emials on the server in folders will be lost as POP doesn't underan folders
    POP is POP3 by the way
    • happyhero
    • By happyhero 14th Jun 17, 10:43 AM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    happyhero
    Don't you need to create a new account and then copy across locally all the emails that were previously downloaded in IMAP?
    Also all emials on the server in folders will be lost as POP doesn't underan folders
    POP is POP3 by the way
    Originally posted by crghsam
    Hmm interesting, I would say what you say is right but funny thing is whilst in my Increddimail account I deleted the IMAP account and then immediately created the new POP account the way I described and the old emails were there already......can't think why I didn't lose them unless having the same email address kept them, but they definitely dont dissapear in Incredimail as you delete accounts.

I'm tempted to leave Incredimail now, I've kept it like a bad habit but I did like they way I could organise my emails better than on the server in it, so now not sure what to go for, any ideas, someone suggested Thunderbird, is that a favourite now?
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 14th Jun 17, 11:22 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    Shrimply
    I'm tempted to leave Incredimail now, I've kept it like a bad habit but I did like they way I could organise my emails better than on the server in it, so now not sure what to go for, any ideas, someone suggested Thunderbird, is that a favourite now?
    Originally posted by happyhero

Thunderbird is pretty great, and free, although it is highly customisable so can take a lot of getting used to.

I think as well you need to work out exactly what you want to do it and why. For example I think for what you are looking to do a sensible setup would be to use IMAP, then set Thunderbird to automatically move downloaded messages to a local folder on your computer (I'd also suggest copying these back onto a separate folder on your email server so that they are backed-up there too).

A program like Thunderbird is incredibly flexible so whatever you want to do is probably possible.
    Last edited by Shrimply; 14-06-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    • happyhero
    • By happyhero 14th Jun 17, 3:31 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    happyhero
    Thunderbird is pretty great, and free, although it is highly customisable so can take a lot of getting used to.

I think as well you need to work out exactly what you want to do it and why. For example I think for what you are looking to do a sensible setup would be to use IMAP, then set Thunderbird to automatically move downloaded messages to a local folder on your computer (I'd also suggest copying these back onto a separate folder on your email server so that they are backed-up there too).

A program like Thunderbird is incredibly flexible so whatever you want to do is probably possible.
    Originally posted by Shrimply
    I understand the basic difference between IMAP and POP3 i.e one emptys server and one leaves it on server which I can see would be an advantage for someone who accesses their emails from various places. But for me I only look at my emails on my home PC (I do have a google email too that I use for other stuff on my phone) and I like the way they download from my server emptying it and I then sought them out on my PC keeping what I want to keep for probably far longer than I need to.

I realise with POP3 I have no back up if my PC went wrong and that does now, since writing this post make me think, that may be a proble to worry about.

However you say Thunderbird is highly customisable so why wouldn't I stick with POP3 in Thunderbird and then upload the "to keep" stuff to a special folder on my server as you suggest?

In this way it would still empty my server Inbox as it loads my Thunderbird Inbox, like I have been doing up to now with Incredimail, I mean what is the benefit with this senario in using IMAP instead?
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 14th Jun 17, 3:41 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    Shrimply
    In this way it would still empty my server Inbox as it loads my Thunderbird Inbox, like I have been doing up to now with Incredimail, I mean what is the benefit with this senario in using IMAP instead?
    Originally posted by happyhero
    The difference is that IMAP understands folders, so it's all one easy process. I personally think it's a more flexible option.

You could use POP3 but uploading back onto the server isn't going to be as easy.

Under the set-up I described Thunderbird would move the emails out of the inbox on your server, so as you want, you would have a clean inbox when you logged on online but by uploading to a separate folder, you can also access all your archived emails from anywhere, should you need to.

It is of course entirely up to you, and could be set-up using POP3, in this case you would probably want to set up the server to copy the emails to another folder to act as a back up, rather than Thunderbird.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 14th Jun 17, 4:39 PM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    DavidP24
    don't you need to create a new account and then copy across locally all the emails that were previously downloaded in imap?
    Also all emials on the server in folders will be lost as pop doesn't underan folders
    pop is pop3 by the way
    Originally posted by crghsam
    don't you need to read a thread so you see it is old and solved?
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • happyhero
    • By happyhero 15th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    happyhero
    The difference is that IMAP understands folders, so it's all one easy process. I personally think it's a more flexible option.

You could use POP3 but uploading back onto the server isn't going to be as easy.

Under the set-up I described Thunderbird would move the emails out of the inbox on your server, so as you want, you would have a clean inbox when you logged on online but by uploading to a separate folder, you can also access all your archived emails from anywhere, should you need to.

It is of course entirely up to you, and could be set-up using POP3, in this case you would probably want to set up the server to copy the emails to another folder to act as a back up, rather than Thunderbird.
    Originally posted by Shrimply
    Hi Shrimply decided to try Thunderbird on my mothers PC as I had previously installed Incredimail for her and had recently had major problems with it and had resorted to just getting her emails from the server.

Anyway after installing Thunderbird my immediate concern is its almost impossible to set up a simple password login for it (I Googled a bit to see if there is any options for this after I couldn't find it in Thunderbird). My mother has emails that she wants to keep private as one relative in particular comes round and uses the PC and is a bit too nosey.

Do you know a way to resolve this missing password login?
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 15th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    Shrimply
    This Add-On should prevent Thunderbird opening until a password is entered, which I think is what you want.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/addon/startupmaster/versions/?page=1#version-1.6.2
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

998Posts Today

7,378Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin