Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ceegee
    • By ceegee 6th Jun 17, 11:35 AM
    • 768Posts
    • 467Thanks
    ceegee
    Nothing heard after interview
    • 6th Jun 17, 11:35 AM
    Nothing heard after interview 6th Jun 17 at 11:35 AM
    I attended a job interview at a "local" store of a national supermarket last Monday. I thought the interview went well and the manager said she had others to interview the same day and would then have a think about it and be in touch in a few days.

By Friday evening I had heard nothing and when I popped in to get a loaf of bread I saw that she was there so I approached her pleasantly and politely and asked if she had come to a decision yet. She told me that she has been very busy and has not had time to contact any of the interviewees yet.

I still have heard nothing. Should I just assume that I was unsuccessful? It seems a bit rude for her to have not got in touch one way or the other. Or is it just me being a bit pernickety?
    "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........"
Page 1
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 6th Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 2,710 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 6th Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    • 6th Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    I attended a job interview at a "local" store of a national supermarket last Monday. I thought the interview went well and the manager said she had others to interview the same day and would then have a think about it and be in touch in a few days.

By Friday evening I had heard nothing and when I popped in to get a loaf of bread I saw that she was there so I approached her pleasantly and politely and asked if she had come to a decision yet. She told me that she has been very busy and has not had time to contact any of the interviewees yet.

I still have heard nothing. Should I just assume that I was unsuccessful? It seems a bit rude for her to have not got in touch one way or the other. Or is it just me being a bit pernickety?
    Originally posted by ceegee
    Well it is only Tuesday morning and if she had not contacted people by Friday evening and doesn't work weekends only one working day has elapsed!

Most likely any contact will be by post so you are being a bit impatient to be honest.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Jun 17, 12:16 PM
    • 3,603 Posts
    • 3,673 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 6th Jun 17, 12:16 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 12:16 PM
    Yes you are being impatient. It's understandable in your situation but give them some more time. Being too pushy can be to your own disadvantage.
    • ceegee
    • By ceegee 6th Jun 17, 12:37 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    ceegee
    • 6th Jun 17, 12:37 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 12:37 PM
    The interview was Monday of last week.....the 29th May, and the job was to start this coming Saturday. She said it would be a few days and it is now 9 days. Oh well, it must just be me........!

Thanks for the replies though, folks.
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 6th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    • 6th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    It's normal to be on the edge of your seat but I'd maybe assume you haven't got it if you don't get a call by Friday, starting on Saturday is a bit of a moot point as these things get pushed back. It may very well be she hasn't got in touch with anyone yet regarding the job.

Try not to pin your hopes on anything and keep looking, and if you get it, you get it.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 6th Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,283 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 6th Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    Far too soon to chase. I would be following it up Friday at the earliest. And applying for more jobs.

It sounds like they have not made their minds up yet - if you hadn't got the job, she could have told you that when you met her in the store. Or she might have preferred to let you find out in writing to avoid awkwardness. Could mean anything really.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 6th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 6th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    Its annoying but try to hold out a bit longer. I recently had an interview and was told I'd hear within a week. 2 weeks later still nothing so I emailed and the next day was told I was unsuccessful. Then yesterday I received an invite to interview for a position I applied for 3 months ago! I'd completely forgotten about it and had assumed ages ago I hadn't been shortlisted. Everywhere is different. For me I think keeping someone waiting more than 2 weeks without an update is rude so after that I'd chase them. Good luck though.
    • mariposa687
    • By mariposa687 6th Jun 17, 5:17 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    mariposa687
    • 6th Jun 17, 5:17 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 5:17 PM
    Good luck, I'm in a similar position with an interview I had the other week and it is frustrating.

I've also been the person before who had to place job adverts and do the first pass at the applications that came in so I know how long it can take. I did want to get back quicker to some applicants but there were a lot of people involved in the process which can also hold things up. If you're out of work you're only focus is to find work but if you're the one advertising a position it may be one of many things on a long list you have to get done.

Hope you get it.
    • alexpg
    • By alexpg 6th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    alexpg
    • 6th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    I went for a job interview ten and a half years ago but haven't heard back. Do you think I should chase them up?
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 8th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 1,423 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Any news OP?
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • ceegee
    • By ceegee 9th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    ceegee
    I heard yesterday that I didn't get the job.

I am now almost in despair. I was working as a care assistant on a zero hours contract but was messed about so badly by them that, on top of a lifetime of stress and personal tragedy, I have become severely depressed. I have a referral to the psychiatric hospital for an assessment on Monday. I am 61 and have been divorced for 35 years. Bringing up my children on my own meant I couldn't afford to pay into a pension although I was able to work part-time to get us through, along with some child support from my ex husband.

I have been applying for alternative jobs for 3 years now and even tried to set up my own business at one point, but it didn't get off the ground.

The mental health issues go back as far as my childhood.

So, here I am.........61 with mental health issues and I just don't know what to do. Nobody wants to take on a 61 year old with mental health issues and there is no state pension until age 66.

I cannot go back to the care agency....it is split shifts starting at 7am and finishing at 10 pm and they are always dragging me out of bed on my days off to cover for "sickness" (especially when the weather is fine and everyone else suddenly becomes sick). Also, my eyesight has deteriorated with age and driving at night is terrifying. Plus, most of the clients that I see have dementia and I can't cope with that any more......I fear I might lash out.....I just can't do it any more.

Please don't anyone have a go at me........I can't fight anything any more, I have nothing left to fight with. My SSP runs out at the end of July and I don't know what to do.

Sorry for the rant and thank you to the posters who have been kind.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 9th Jun 17, 5:53 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    Sncjw
    Could you claim esa.
    • ceegee
    • By ceegee 9th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    ceegee
    I don't know regarding ESA. Having worked since I was 15, be it rightly or wrongly, I would feel bad about living off benefits/the taxpayer, even though I've been paying my dues for 42 years. I know it's no good whingeing about the increase in pension age.......it is what it is. I suppose I shall wait for the assessment on Monday.

I know that there are people like remploy who may be able to help with a job. I used to be a capable and reasonably intelligent person, but now I just feel useless......I want to work, but nobody seems to want to take me on...I feel like I don't belong in the world any more......the world is for the young and I don't belong in it any more.

Perhaps remploy might be able to help find me a new job, just something simple without too much pressure or responsibility or learning processes.

Sorry about miserable ranting and thanks for mentioning the ESA. I'm going to the hospital on Monday and I do have an appointment with remploy on Friday...so I shall see what happens then and what their advice is, at both places.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 9th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 1,423 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    So sorry to learn your news, quite their loss.
    I did think of you, this thread, when I saw this article only this week, not that I think you did anything wrong.
    https://www.coburgbanks.co.uk/blog/candidate-tips/how-to-follow-up-an-interview1/

Shall hope something better comes up for you as this question, (while not quite at interview stage) did spear me on to at least follow up on a job application.

All we can do is to keep trying.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • ljonski
    • By ljonski 10th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 3,331 Thanks
    ljonski
    would feel bad about living off benefits/the taxpayer,
    in that case you are your own worst enemy. you may feel better doing some voluntary work. But if you are too sick to work then you are too sick to work and that is the end of the matter. You should be taking things a bit more easy now that you are in the autumn of life. If you are mad keen to work then you must be pro active by knocking on doors that haven't opened yet. All the best . thinking about you and so is God..................
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 10th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    • 6,777 Posts
    • 12,452 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    It really p***ed me off when a prospective employer doesn't bother to contact me when they said they would. For example, if I had the interview on Monday and said, they will contact me regardless of the outcome by next Tuesday. If I didn't hear anything, I rang them on the Friday (3 days after) and they sigh and have 'how dare you ring us' tone to their voices.

I am in habit of doing this as my friend got a call one Friday from a place where she went for an interview saying 'Are you still interested in the job as it starts Monday'. They wrote to her, but RM lost the letter. She accepted and spent Friday afternoon and Saturday buying work clothes as just had her interview suit and 3 tops!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,245Posts Today

8,306Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin