Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marty1888
    • By marty1888 6th Jun 17, 10:55 AM
    • 437Posts
    • 206Thanks
    marty1888
    Letter before Claim - Wright Hassall/ZZPS
    • 6th Jun 17, 10:55 AM
    Letter before Claim - Wright Hassall/ZZPS 6th Jun 17 at 10:55 AM
    I received a LBC today from Wright Hassall on the instructions of ZZPS stating that I have 14 days from the date of the letter to settle the PCN claim.

In December 2016 I was issued with a ticket for parking 'Without Valid Permit or Authority' in my space at work.

Unfortunately the permit had fallen from the windscreen when the PCN was issued but I do have valid authority to park there and have done for 8 years without issue.

Intially I rang the number on the PCN and requested that they remove it as it was my allocated space, paid for by the company I work for and that I have a valid permit to park there. They requested I send over photos so I did along with a formal email appealing the ticket.

They replied back with their own photos and said that they did not dispute that I had authority to park there just that I hadn't been displaying a permit at the time.

Should I have received a POPLA at the point where I emailed the appeal?

Subsequently, a letter was received to the Registered Keeper of the vehicle (my partner) and she passed on my details to them via email.

For the past number of months ZZPS and Wright Hassall have been contacting me regularly in regards to the alleged debt which has now increased from £25 to £196.00 inlcuding additonal charges.

What are my options here?

Thanks.
    Last edited by marty1888; 06-06-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Page 2
    • marty1888
    • By marty1888 27th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    marty1888
    Actually, they haven't bought the debt; the last letter is still a debt collector's letter as it refers to "our client".

You can of course make a complaint to the CSA, as MIL Collections are a member, although based on past experience the CSA are equally useless.
    Originally posted by Castle
    I'll see them in court. There isn't a hope in hell that I'm paying £196 to them.
    • marty1888
    • By marty1888 5th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    marty1888
    So MIL don't seem to be giving up on this one.

New letter received stating:

FINAL DEMAND

Despite previous letters sent to you, the above debt still remains unpaid.

Your name and address may now be referred for independant (sic) verification and then reviewed by our legal department.

Our client believes this debt is lawfully due and payable and as such could be subject to legal action.

Yours faithfully,

Nobody because we didn't bother signing it

Collections Department

• beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 5th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 6,467 Posts
    • 8,286 Thanks
    beamerguy
    So MIL don't seem to be giving up on this one.

New letter received stating:

FINAL DEMAND

Despite previous letters sent to you, the above debt still remains unpaid.

Your name and address may now be referred for independant (sic) verification and then reviewed by our legal department.

Our client believes this debt is lawfully due and payable and as such could be subject to legal action.

Yours faithfully,

Nobody because we didn't bother signing it

Collections Department

Originally posted by marty1888
    They won't give up, well they do when blasted in court
    or they scupper themselves and discontinue.

"Our client believes this debt is lawfully due" <<< PROVE IT

Taking into account that they must now follow the new
    claim procedure, they have big hoops to jump through
    if a court is to accept their claim.

There letter means nothing , it's just the MIL way to scare you
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 5th Oct 17, 11:45 AM
    • 51,730 Posts
    • 65,376 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    It's just a debt collector letter - MIL do seem to have dumbed down since last year!
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• marty1888
    • By marty1888 5th Oct 17, 12:03 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    marty1888
    They won't give up, well they do when blasted in court
    or they scupper themselves and discontinue.

"Our client believes this debt is lawfully due" <<< PROVE IT

Taking into account that they must now follow the new
    claim procedure, they have big hoops to jump through
    if a court is to accept their claim.

There letter means nothing , it's just the MIL way to scare you
    Originally posted by beamerguy

What is the new claims procedure?
    • safarmuk
    • By safarmuk 5th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 1,124 Thanks
    safarmuk
    https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/pdf/protocols/pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims.pdf

As of October 1st the protocol required for a Business (e.g.a PPC) to pursue a "debt" from an individual (e.g. you) has changed - see PDF above.

If the PPC want to now bring a claim against you they must follow this new protocol. The new requirements will mean the PPCs solicitors spending much more time on the LBC and also providing you much more information (things they currently do not do). This will not fit well with the current cost model.
    • marty1888
    • By marty1888 5th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    marty1888
    https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/pdf/protocols/pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims.pdf

As of October 1st the protocol required for a Business (e.g.a PPC) to pursue a "debt" from an individual (e.g. you) has changed - see PDF above.

If the PPC want to now bring a claim against you they must follow this new protocol. The new requirements will mean the PPCs solicitors spending much more time on the LBC and also providing you much more information (things they currently do not do). This will not fit well with the current cost model.
    Originally posted by safarmuk

Based on the above new requirements it would seem that this is simply a scare tactic to get me to pay now so they can make some money out of it. I will happily see them in Court if required but that process may now well cost them a lot more than the claim is worth.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 5th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 6,467 Posts
    • 8,286 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Based on the above new requirements it would seem that this is simply a scare tactic to get me to pay now so they can make some money out of it. I will happily see them in Court if required but that process may now well cost them a lot more than the claim is worth.
    Originally posted by marty1888
    Did you ever see Crocodile Dundee about a knife ?
    You can now be Crocodile Dundee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POJtaO2xB_o
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • marty1888
    • By marty1888 6th Oct 17, 12:32 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    marty1888
    Did you ever see Crocodile Dundee about a knife ?
    You can now be Crocodile Dundee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POJtaO2xB_o
    Originally posted by beamerguy

Funnily enough I watched it on Film4 a few nights ago.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,146Posts Today

6,477Users online

Martin's Twitter