Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tain
    • By tain 6th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 442Posts
    • 587Thanks
    tain
    0 WOW
    Travelodge: -Never- book breakfast before you stay
    • 6th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    0 WOW
    Travelodge: -Never- book breakfast before you stay 6th Jun 17 at 9:01 AM
    I've recently been stung by the cowboys at Travelodge regarding a breakfast booking on one of their saver rates.

They make the fact that the hotel booking is non-refundable (they don't even refund it when you find urine on the bed sheets btw), but at no stage do they make it clear that any extras you bought in advance also wouldn't be refundable.

The only place it states this is hidden in their terms and conditions just before you confirm your payment, and even then it isn't clear as it just says 'extras' and isn't explicit as to what any of them are.

I imagine this also includes wifi, car parking, late checkout, early check-in, and any additional booking fee for card payments.

Besides them hiding that this is also not refundable, the thing I find abominable more than anything is that you can purchase all of these extras on the day at the exact same rate. There is NO benefit to buying these in advance. So to not refund this is criminal IMO.

On Travelodge's normal rates, you need to cancel before noon on the first day to get a refund, so I'd assume you also can't cancel breakfast for a refund after this point. But again - there is no financial benefit to this anyway, so little point booking in advance.

I'm reporting this to trading standards as well as it is deceptive and adequately ambiguous that it is clearly done to scam you of your money, so if anyone has advice on this, I'd appreciate it.
Page 3
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Jun 17, 3:05 PM
    • 4,315 Posts
    • 26,068 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    On their website
    This is a saver rate and is non-refundable. Subject to saver rate availability you may be able to amend stays for a £5 fee.
    And I need glasses!
    Your thoughts fade
    As you shake between the fags
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 10th Jun 17, 5:04 PM
    • 4,782 Posts
    • 9,503 Thanks
    I have spoken
    I shall pass on the OPs advice to the downstairs staff
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 10th Jun 17, 5:58 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    I use Travelodge quite regularly. I've only once had breakfast, which was booked in advance as part of the saver rate - to be honest I guess I assumed neither the room nor the breakfast was refundable if I wasn't able to stay for some reason.

However, I shall heed your advice and not book breakfast again in advance. Good luck with your claim but I'd be surprised it you're successful with it.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 11th Jun 17, 12:06 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 19,072 Thanks
    Doc N
    Tain, you make a perfectly valid point, and it's a very useful warning to people - thank you.

Ignore the trolls who just love picking holes in valid points and trying to defend the indefensible.
    • wise owl 3
    • By wise owl 3 11th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    wise owl 3
    Thank you, your advice could be useful in the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin