Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tain
    • By tain 6th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 464Posts
    • 588Thanks
    tain
    0 WOW
    Travelodge: -Never- book breakfast before you stay
    • 6th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    0 WOW
    Travelodge: -Never- book breakfast before you stay 6th Jun 17 at 9:01 AM
    I've recently been stung by the cowboys at Travelodge regarding a breakfast booking on one of their saver rates.

They make the fact that the hotel booking is non-refundable (they don't even refund it when you find urine on the bed sheets btw), but at no stage do they make it clear that any extras you bought in advance also wouldn't be refundable.

The only place it states this is hidden in their terms and conditions just before you confirm your payment, and even then it isn't clear as it just says 'extras' and isn't explicit as to what any of them are.

I imagine this also includes wifi, car parking, late checkout, early check-in, and any additional booking fee for card payments.

Besides them hiding that this is also not refundable, the thing I find abominable more than anything is that you can purchase all of these extras on the day at the exact same rate. There is NO benefit to buying these in advance. So to not refund this is criminal IMO.

On Travelodge's normal rates, you need to cancel before noon on the first day to get a refund, so I'd assume you also can't cancel breakfast for a refund after this point. But again - there is no financial benefit to this anyway, so little point booking in advance.

I'm reporting this to trading standards as well as it is deceptive and adequately ambiguous that it is clearly done to scam you of your money, so if anyone has advice on this, I'd appreciate it.
Page 2
    • tain
    • By tain 6th Jun 17, 9:56 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    tain
    They arent conning people, the link to the Ts&Cs appears on every web page from landing to booking to confirmation. It is up to people to take the time to read the Ts&Cs before they book.
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    Are you talking about the link at the very bottom of their footer, in with about 30 other links? Because that's the only place it appears on the Extras page.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 6th Jun 17, 9:56 AM
    • 6,086 Posts
    • 5,234 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

so if anyone has advice on this, I'd appreciate it.
    Originally posted by tain
    well, my advice, for what it's worth,

don't book Travelodge again.

Y'all take care now.
    • tain
    • By tain 6th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    tain
    Hi,

well, my advice, for what it's worth,

don't book Travelodge again.

Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    Define what was meant by 'this', as you seemed to have missed the context entirely.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 6th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    Alter ego
    So what did you mean by "If anyone has advice on this I'd appreciate it"???
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • tain
    • By tain 6th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    tain
    So what did you mean by "If anyone has advice on this I'd appreciate it"???
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    Did you read the sentence before it? I can copy and paste if you'd like, but you seemed to have already done that in order to take it out of context.
    • tain
    • By tain 6th Jun 17, 10:00 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    tain
    Might be worth me trying again.

I'm advising people not to book Travelodge extras in advance, because it's not immediately clear when making the booking that you won't get your money back when booking these. There is no financial benefit to booking in advance, as you get the same price on the day.

Is anyone disagreeing with this advice?
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 6th Jun 17, 10:00 AM
    • 6,086 Posts
    • 5,234 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

Define what was meant by 'this', as you seemed to have missed the context entirely.
    I didn't use the word 'this', you did, you explain.
    Y'all take care now.
    • tain
    • By tain 6th Jun 17, 10:02 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    tain
    Hi,

I didn't use the word 'this', you did, you explain.
    I'm not the one giving advice for something that no one asked for.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 6th Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    • 6,086 Posts
    • 5,234 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

I'm not the one giving advice for something that no one asked for.
    so if anyone has advice on this, I'd appreciate it.
    Have you forgotten you asked for advice?
    Y'all take care now.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 6th Jun 17, 10:05 AM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 2,437 Thanks
    waamo
    I never said I didn't?
    You didn't (and still haven't) said you did either. Did you ask for a clean sheet and if you did what was the response?
    This space for hire.
    • tain
    • By tain 6th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    tain
    Hi,

Have you forgotten you asked for advice?
    I was quite careful in my use of the words 'something that no one asked for'.

I mean, why not give advice on driving in France while you're at it?
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 6th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 3,113 Thanks
    Oakdene
    I was quite careful in my use of the words 'something that no one asked for'.

I mean, why not give advice on driving in France while you're at it?
    Drive on the right hand side of the road....
    • tain
    • By tain 6th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    tain
    You didn't (and still haven't) said you did either. Did you ask for a clean sheet and if you did what was the response?
    Originally posted by waamo
    Do you mind if I ask what your point would be with this line of enquiry? It's not relevant to the point of my post.
    • tain
    • By tain 6th Jun 17, 10:10 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    tain
    I'm guessing I've picked a really slow day at the office for the Travel forum folk.

Let me share this again, as it's been missed about 4 times over:

I'm advising people not to book Travelodge extras in advance, because it's not immediately clear when making the booking that you won't get your money back when booking these. There is no financial benefit to booking in advance, as you get the same price on the day.

• martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 6th Jun 17, 10:13 AM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,498 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    I'm guessing I've picked a really slow day at the office for the Travel forum folk.

I suspect if this had been your original post then your chances of getting the sort of responses you wished for would have been greatly increased.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 6th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    • 6,086 Posts
    • 5,234 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

I never book extras, so your advice is lost on me.
    Y'all take care now.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 6th Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 2,437 Thanks
    waamo
    Do you mind if I ask what your point would be with this line of enquiry? It's not relevant to the point of my post.
    The opening post makes it sound like you walked in the room, found it a bit shabby then went straight to demanding a full refund.

It would be helpful to know if you tried to do anything to mitigate your loss like asking for cleaner sheets and what the response was. So far you've come across as rather evasive and it looks like you are sidestepping the issue although I appreciate this may not be deliberate.
    This space for hire.
    • stockton
    • By stockton 6th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    stockton

This is good advice and you are understandably frustrated and annoyed. I myself never purchase extras in advance because, as you say, there is no advantage and you never know what might crop up and cause you to cancel your stay. One thing I would say though is I have often stayed in Travelodges and they have always had a very high standard of cleanliness.

It looks like they have this thing covered in their t and c's and your prospects of recovering your extra's do not look good.

I did not need the advice myself because I know how ruthless TL are with cancellations; but who knows someone may read your post and avoid making that mistake. Thanks for the heads up.
    • GlennTheBaker
    • By GlennTheBaker 10th Jun 17, 8:15 AM
    • 2,770 Posts
    • 1,806 Thanks
    GlennTheBaker

So are you giving advice or asking for advice?
    • lea2012
    • By lea2012 10th Jun 17, 10:41 AM
    • 612 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    lea2012
    If I book a travelodge room I often book using the saver rate. I don't always book breakfast but have done in the past dependent on where we are and how long we are staying for. I wasn't fully aware that this was non-refundable although I would probably presume that it wasn't refundable as part of the saver rate. I don't usually read all of the t&c's for Travelodge TBH and if for any reason I couldn't go I would probably just not turn up or maybe if I had enough notice I would see if another family member wanted to use the room instead as they never ask for ID at check in anyway. I wouldn't go to the hassle of cancelling it, nor would i try and get a refund on any part of the booking.
    I suppose the only benefits to booking breakfast in advance is the fact that you know it is done and paid. I also presume that they have the capacity to cater for every single room in the hotel and that you wouldn't be told no if you tried to pay for it on arrival? As long as I knew I could definitely pay and book it on arrival, I would probably do this in future just on the off chance so thanks for pointing it out.
    Lea :confused:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,199Posts Today

6,122Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin