Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 6th Jun 17, 8:51 AM
    • 1,369Posts
    • 147Thanks
    adonis10
    0 WOW
    Last minute holiday ideas
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:51 AM
    0 WOW
    Last minute holiday ideas 6th Jun 17 at 8:51 AM
    So, house renovation and repairs have hit our budget this year so haven't been able to plan and book anything. Struggling for ideas so looking for some inspiration - ideally 7-10 days between 22/7 and 5/8 to somewhere hot with nice beaches, sights and architecture etc. Greek islands a favourite but already done skiathos, skopelos, Athens, santorini, Mykonos, Naxos and Paros so struggling with where to go next in that region. Fancy Portugal and is cheap to fly but hotels are either super expensive or look shabby.

Any thoughts massively appreciated because hotels are few and far between it seems.
Page 2
    • richardw
    • By richardw 15th Jun 17, 7:15 PM
    • 17,860 Posts
    • 7,280 Thanks
    richardw
    Lots of choice http://en.costabrava.org
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • CM66
    • By CM66 15th Jun 17, 7:39 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 2,598 Thanks
    CM66
    Just got back from Sardinia (for the 10th time - although for work not a holiday) its a beautiful island, i would recommend Alghero over Olbia for a holiday. Its apx 1h45 mins drive so not too bad.

There's beaches etc in Alghero, lots of lovely seafood restaurants and small bars in the old town (not clubby or traditional holiday resort type place)

Wherever you go, i would definitely get a car!
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 15th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    adonis10
    Just got back from Sardinia (for the 10th time - although for work not a holiday) its a beautiful island, i would recommend Alghero over Olbia for a holiday. Its apx 1h45 mins drive so not too bad.

There's beaches etc in Alghero, lots of lovely seafood restaurants and small bars in the old town (not clubby or traditional holiday resort type place)

Wherever you go, i would definitely get a car!
    Originally posted by CM66
    What sort of roads between Olbia and alghero? I'm not adverse to the idea of driving but my last experience of driving in Italy was the amalfi coast and that is something I never, ever want to repeat!

Why get a car wherever, is it quite sparse with great distances between places of interest?
    Last edited by adonis10; 15-06-2017 at 7:48 PM.
    • Blue264
    • By Blue264 18th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    Blue264
    I'm with you on the Amalfi Drive
    Have you considered western Crete, flying into Chania?
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 18th Jun 17, 11:51 PM
    • 11,476 Posts
    • 7,771 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Sardinia - anyone been? Recommendations where to go?
    Originally posted by adonis10
    I have looked at Sardinia and it seems wonderful, but accommodation and other costs are a good deal higher than elsewhere in Italy.
    How about Puglia?
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 19th Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    • 4,240 Posts
    • 5,296 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Was on Med/Adriatic cruise in 2013, due to call in at Sardinia [Cagliari] for the day.....when this happened.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509741/Sardinia-storm-tears-Italian-island-causing-death-destruction.html

Obviously it was too dangerous for the ship's Captain to take the ship in, so we had to 'ride out' a Force 12 for the next 36 hours.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 19th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,969 Thanks
    blindman
    What sort of roads between Olbia and alghero? I'm not adverse to the idea of driving but my last experience of driving in Italy was the amalfi coast and that is something I never, ever want to repeat!

Why get a car wherever, is it quite sparse with great distances between places of interest?
    Good motorway type not heavily used.

We drove from Olbia and stayed in Alghro for a couple of days.

It is the better choice.

Car makes life easier and quicker to get from A to B.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 19th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    adonis10
    Good motorway type not heavily used.

We drove from Olbia and stayed in Alghro for a couple of days.

It is the better choice.

Car makes life easier and quicker to get from A to B.
    Originally posted by blindman
    Sounds good and looks like what we will do. How long did it take you to drive from Olbia to Alghero? I am looking into changing our dates so that we can fly back from Alghero (taking the hit and flying to stanstead!) to save wasting time driving back to Olbia, although the dates don't align perfectly.

My other thought is now to take in Costa Brava for 3-5 days, fly down to Sardinia and spend another 3-5 there but I am not sure if this is logistically possible.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 19th Jun 17, 5:06 PM
    • 2,087 Posts
    • 2,963 Thanks
    gardner1
    So, house renovation and repairs have hit our budget this year so haven't been able to plan and book anything. Struggling for ideas so looking for some inspiration - ideally 7-10 days between 22/7 and 5/8 to somewhere hot with nice beaches, sights and architecture etc. Greek islands a favourite but already done skiathos, skopelos, Athens, santorini, Mykonos, Naxos and Paros so struggling with where to go next in that region. Fancy Portugal and is cheap to fly but hotels are either super expensive or look shabby.

Any thoughts massively appreciated because hotels are few and far between it seems.
    What about private rentals Owners direct or Homeaway have quite a few........granted some rough looking rentals but most are very good
    Have rented for last 2 years in Praia da Luz and Burgau both times fantastic beaches and no riff raff
    • blindman
    • By blindman 19th Jun 17, 7:23 PM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,969 Thanks
    blindman
    Sounds good and looks like what we will do. How long did it take you to drive from Olbia to Alghero? I am looking into changing our dates so that we can fly back from Alghero (taking the hit and flying to stanstead!) to save wasting time driving back to Olbia, although the dates don't align perfectly.

My other thought is now to take in Costa Brava for 3-5 days, fly down to Sardinia and spend another 3-5 there but I am not sure if this is logistically possible.
    2hrs-it's only 150Km and is a motorway.

Watch out for one way car hire fees.

Or you could catch the train -4hrs
    Last edited by blindman; 19-06-2017 at 7:26 PM.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 20th Jun 17, 7:35 AM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    adonis10
    2hrs-it's only 150Km and is a motorway.

Watch out for one way car hire fees.

Or you could catch the train -4hrs
    Yeah, I thought that but then we don't want it for the whole holiday. Really frustrating that to go anywhere decent you have to drive 100 miles from the airport and back. I think Sardinia is starting to look unlikely - flights have gone up £240 each now Gatwick to olbia and the lack of info on what we want (nice beaches, sights restaurants and slightly lively vibe at night - too much to ask?) just seems tedious. It's like Costa smeralda or nothing, but that's super expensive.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 20th Jun 17, 11:04 AM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,969 Thanks
    blindman
    Yeah, I thought that but then we don't want it for the whole holiday.

Really frustrating that to go anywhere decent you have to drive 100 miles from the airport and back.

I think Sardinia is starting to look unlikely - flights have gone up £240 each now Gatwick to olbia and the lack of info on what we want (nice beaches, sights restaurants and slightly lively vibe at night - too much to ask?) just seems tedious. It's like Costa smeralda or nothing, but that's super expensive.
    IMHO Alghero would fit your requirements without the exhorbitant cost of Costa Smerelda

Have you asked on Tripadvisor?

Lookaed at AirBnb for accomodation?
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 20th Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    adonis10
    IMHO Alghero would fit your requirements without the exhorbitant cost of Costa Smerelda

Have you asked on Tripadvisor?

Lookaed at AirBnb for accomodation?
    Yeah, I did think that but it just seems a hassle getting to and from olbia. We would get to olbia late so would stay over and then drive to alghero but wouldn't need the car until the drive back so would end up paying 2 x 1 way rentals, which could be costly. Also deliberating on a 18:55 flight back on the Friday or early Saturday (about 10am); benefit of the latter would be a nice full day on the Friday and up for a drive back and leave the rental car at the airport, or the cheaper flight on the Friday but only having part of a day - perhaps this wouldn't so bad, could spend the morning in alghero and then drive to the airport and drop car off there. Really frustrated that I didn't just book the flights when cheaper and work out the itinerary after!

Yeah, asked on trip advisor but the answers haven't been very conclusive.

Not looked at air bnb as assumed that is just staying at people's houses which we don't want to do.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 20th Jun 17, 11:19 AM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,969 Thanks
    blindman
    Yeah, I did think that but it just seems a hassle getting to and from olbia. We would get to olbia late so would stay over and then drive to alghero but wouldn't need the car until the drive back so would end up paying 2 x 1 way rentals, which could be costly. Also deliberating on a 18:55 flight back on the Friday or early Saturday (about 10am); benefit of the latter would be a nice full day on the Friday and up for a drive back and leave the rental car at the airport, or the cheaper flight on the Friday but only having part of a day - perhaps this wouldn't so bad, could spend the morning in alghero and then drive to the airport and drop car off there. Really frustrated that I didn't just book the flights when cheaper and work out the itinerary after!

Yeah, asked on trip advisor but the answers haven't been very conclusive.

Not looked at air bnb as assumed that is just staying at people's houses which we don't want to do.
    Have you looked at flights into Alghero?

not sure why you are fixed on Olbia
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 20th Jun 17, 11:27 AM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    adonis10
    Have you looked at flights into Alghero?

not sure why you are fixed on Olbia
    Yeah, much more expensive from a further away airport (stanstead) with a worse airline (Ryanair)! Not fixed on olbia, just cheaper and more accessible.

Ryanair to alghero from stanstead - total £540
    Easy jet from Gatwick to olbia - total £400
    Last edited by adonis10; 20-06-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 20th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 3,969 Thanks
    blindman
    Yeah, much more expensive from a further away airport (stanstead) with a worse airline (Ryanair)! Not fixed on olbia, just cheaper and more accessible.

Ryanair to alghero from stanstead - total £540
    Easy jet from Gatwick to olbia - total £400

Thought as much.

I think "last minute" "July and "cheap" do not go with Sardinia
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 20th Jun 17, 2:49 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    adonis10
    £261 to hire a car from Olbia airport and drop it at Alghero airport the next day. Ridiculous.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

322Posts Today

3,814Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin