Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 6th Jun 17, 8:51 AM
    • 1,386Posts
    • 148Thanks
    adonis10
    0 WOW
    Last minute holiday ideas
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:51 AM
    0 WOW
    Last minute holiday ideas 6th Jun 17 at 8:51 AM
    So, house renovation and repairs have hit our budget this year so haven't been able to plan and book anything. Struggling for ideas so looking for some inspiration - ideally 7-10 days between 22/7 and 5/8 to somewhere hot with nice beaches, sights and architecture etc. Greek islands a favourite but already done skiathos, skopelos, Athens, santorini, Mykonos, Naxos and Paros so struggling with where to go next in that region. Fancy Portugal and is cheap to fly but hotels are either super expensive or look shabby.

Any thoughts massively appreciated because hotels are few and far between it seems.
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 6th Jun 17, 9:56 AM
    • 17,964 Posts
    • 7,352 Thanks
    richardw
    • 6th Jun 17, 9:56 AM
    • 6th Jun 17, 9:56 AM
    Costa de la Luz
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 6th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    Sardinia - anyone been? Recommendations where to go?
    • lovesgshp
    • By lovesgshp 6th Jun 17, 8:17 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    lovesgshp
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:17 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:17 PM
    Northern Cyprus. Great food, reasonable hotel prices and more scenic than the Greek side.
    Last edited by lovesgshp; 06-06-2017 at 8:32 PM. Reason: typo
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 7th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    • 2,915 Posts
    • 1,469 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 7th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    Hotels in most places are going to be expensive for the weeks you have chosen as they are the first two weeks of the school holidays. If you want to try Portugal I would suggest the resort of Lagos out towards the west of the Algarve but be warned Portugal is very popular this year and falling air fares are normally a sign that there is very little accommodation left which means demand for flight seats falls.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 12th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    Hotels in most places are going to be expensive for the weeks you have chosen as they are the first two weeks of the school holidays. If you want to try Portugal I would suggest the resort of Lagos out towards the west of the Algarve but be warned Portugal is very popular this year and falling air fares are normally a sign that there is very little accommodation left which means demand for flight seats falls.
    Originally posted by Alan Bowen
    Indeed they will. It's frustrating but we have to go in the school holidays and they were the best two weeks I could take off work.

Anyone have any recommendations on Sardinia?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 12th Jun 17, 1:27 PM
    • 17,964 Posts
    • 7,352 Thanks
    richardw
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:27 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 1:27 PM
    Costa Esmeralda and around Alghero are pleasant parts of Sardinia.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 13th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    Costa Esmeralda and around Alghero are pleasant parts of Sardinia.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Costa Smeralda looks very appealing. Looking at flights, 26/7-4/8 seems viable which gives 8 full days (arrives late on 26/7 and departs early on 4/8) so I am thinking splitting our time between 2 different areas of Sardinia (3-5 nights in each). Is CS far from Olbia airport? Ideally two places that are not a million miles away from each other to minimise wasted time sitting on trains/coaches.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 14th Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    Looks like we have settled on Sardinia, flying into Olbia. The loose plan at the moment is to go to Porto Cervo/Baja Sardinia but really struggling to decide. Another factor is getting to where we are staying from the airport as this seems to troublesome (poor train links and expensive transfers) - has anyone done this trip and able to advise? Our flight will arrive at 20:20 which is quite late for the long train journey so another option could be to spend the night in olbia and head on from there early the next day or so.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 14th Jun 17, 12:10 PM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 3,990 Thanks
    blindman
    Looks like we have settled on Sardinia, flying into Olbia. The loose plan at the moment is to go to Porto Cervo/Baja Sardinia but really struggling to decide. Another factor is getting to where we are staying from the airport as this seems to troublesome (poor train links and expensive transfers) - has anyone done this trip and able to advise? Our flight will arrive at 20:20 which is quite late for the long train journey so another option could be to spend the night in olbia and head on from there early the next day or so.
    Originally posted by adonis10
    We flew into Olbia for our Sardinian holiday last year.

You can catch an airport bus into town IIRC

We stayed at an AirBNB place for a couple of days and then hired a car for the rest of the 10 days.

Transport in Sardinia is not that good so for me a hire car was essential.
    That said we did tour around the whole Island!

We did meet a single woman who did rely on coaches\local buses and then taxi for the last few miles to places, so it is doable.

There are some stunning quiet coast lines-still.

Costa Smerelda can be VERY expensive if you go to the wrong parts-it's a playground for the rich.
    Last edited by blindman; 14-06-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 14th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    adonis10
    We flew into Olbia for our Sardinian holiday last year.

You can catch an airport bus into town IIRC

We stayed at an AirBNB place for a couple of days and then hired a car for the rest of the 10 days.

Transport in Sardinia is not that good so for me a hire car was essential.
    That said we did tour around the whole Island!

We did meet a single woman who did rely on coaches\local buses and then taxi for the last few miles to places, so it is doable.

There are some stunning quiet coast lines-still.

Costa Smerelda can be VERY expensive if you go to the wrong parts-it's a playground for the rich.
    Originally posted by blindman

Yes, the more I research the more I can see it can be an expensive place to go. Do you have any other recommendations that are relatively near Olbia? We don't want to tour the whole island as only there for 7/8 full days but would like to see 2-4 places, whilst staying in a couple (don't want to be upping and leaving every night). A nice balance between cultural sights, beach relaxation and nice restaurants will suit us. It would also be nice to be relatively near a lively ish area; by "lively" I do not mean cheap, tacky clubby resorts, rather some nice restaurants and a few nice bars for the evening.

I am finding it really tough this year, sorting out a Greek island hopping itinerary last year was far easier!
    • blindman
    • By blindman 14th Jun 17, 1:02 PM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 3,990 Thanks
    blindman
    Yes, the more I research the more I can see it can be an expensive place to go. Do you have any other recommendations that are relatively near Olbia? We don't want to tour the whole island as only there for 7/8 full days but would like to see 2-4 places, whilst staying in a couple (don't want to be upping and leaving every night). A nice balance between cultural sights, beach relaxation and nice restaurants will suit us. It would also be nice to be relatively near a lively ish area; by "lively" I do not mean cheap, tacky clubby resorts, rather some nice restaurants and a few nice bars for the evening.

I am finding it really tough this year, sorting out a Greek island hopping itinerary last year was far easier!
    May be worth look at \asking Tripadvisor_Olbia_forum
    as our holiday was more a reminisce of the West\South coast and a first visit to the East Coast
    The aim was an eye to culture and some beaches. No night life!

Not even sure there is a night life on the East Coast around\near Olbia TBHO

The Gulf Of Oresei was our first visit-Some stunning scenery.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 14th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    adonis10
    May be worth look at \asking Tripadvisor_Olbia_forum
    as our holiday was more a reminisce of the West\South coast and a first visit to the East Coast
    The aim was an eye to culture and some beaches. No night life!

Not even sure there is a night life on the East Coast around\near Olbia TBHO

The Gulf Of Oresei was our first visit-Some stunning scenery.
    Originally posted by blindman
    I'll check it out.

Well, not night life in the sense of staying out until 3am, rather somewhere with some atmosphere after a nice restaurant so that we're not ending the evening at 9pm! Culture and beaches is exactly what we want for the daytime!

How did you book your hotels? We usually use booking.com with great success, but there does some to be a dearth of good hotels at a normal person's price which, admittedly, is more than likely due to time of year and how late in the day we are booking (house renovation took priority with our budget this year). We'd go up to £1200-1300 for a 8-9 night stay but that doesn't seem possible for a nice place based on what I am seeing on Booking.com
    • blindman
    • By blindman 14th Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 3,990 Thanks
    blindman
    I'll check it out.

How did you book your hotels?
    We booked B&B Adriana E Piermario in Olbia through Booking.com

Then everything else was AirBnB
    Some good-some dodgy

None of our accommodations had AirCon which was an error on my part.
    Make sure yours do !
    You are going in the high season
    Last edited by blindman; 14-06-2017 at 4:27 PM.
    • Ryanfuego
    • By Ryanfuego 15th Jun 17, 9:26 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Ryanfuego
    Try Croatia, amazing places I have seen in Zadar. Seaside is magnificent. Prices are low and people cool, very hospitable. Food is okay, but it really worth to go there on holiday.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 15th Jun 17, 10:36 AM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    adonis10
    Try Croatia, amazing places I have seen in Zadar. Seaside is magnificent. Prices are low and people cool, very hospitable. Food is okay, but it really worth to go there on holiday.
    Originally posted by Ryanfuego
    Have considered Croatia, maybe split and hvar. Been to split and Dubrovnik before and liked it very much, although was cool and windy as was in may so think July and august is a much better option.

Is there enough to do on hvar for 8 days?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 15th Jun 17, 10:53 AM
    • 17,964 Posts
    • 7,352 Thanks
    richardw
    ...Is there enough to do on hvar for 8 days?
    Depends if you've perfected the art of doing nothing and just getting very relaxed and being on holiday.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 15th Jun 17, 10:58 AM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    adonis10
    Depends if you've perfected the art of doing nothing and just getting very relaxed and being on holiday.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Absolutely!
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 15th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    • 4,373 Posts
    • 5,533 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    You could divide the time between Hvar and Brac. Both are easy to reach from Split by frequent Jadrolinija ferries. Timetables and prices here...

http://www.jadrolinija.hr/en/ferry-croatia?dpid=1631

We were in the Split area between 5-19 April this year, weather was very pleasant.

If you want an inexpensive place to stay close to Split old town and the Ferry Port have a look on Booking.com at Apartment Centar. Haven't stayed there yet, but have booked 2 x 2 nights for September to top and tail a trip to Bosnia & Herzegovina.
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 15-06-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 15th Jun 17, 6:58 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    adonis10
    Literally can't make a decision on Sardinia. Can't seem to find enough info.

Costa brava- any thoughts? Looks nice also, and not tacky like other costa's! Added bonus of flights which are much cheaper and from an airport 10 mins from where we live rather than going to London.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

442Posts Today

5,957Users online

Martin's Twitter