Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 6th Jun 17, 7:51 AM
    • 5,531Posts
    • 2,090Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    Can't access server
    • 6th Jun 17, 7:51 AM
    Can't access server 6th Jun 17 at 7:51 AM
    i have a hp server running freenas. i am unable to connect to the mapped drive.

i have disconnected the drive and flushed dns but when i try to remap the drive i get an error 'dns server might be unavailable'

i can access the server settings with its ip address but am unable to map the drive and open the files on the server.

Is mapping the drive the best way to access the data?

any help appreciated
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Page 1
    • were
    • By were 6th Jun 17, 11:46 AM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    • 6th Jun 17, 11:46 AM
    • 6th Jun 17, 11:46 AM
    here is a general youtube link, and check storage status
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8bvtj-LQ_A

setup of windows shares https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQla4VRlgwQ
    Also instead of the nas name to avoid DNS in your home workgroup you could use \\192.168.1.nas_ip\nas_share_name

on your working PC or server you want to go to a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and press return and you get something like this, but my PC has ip v6 info missing

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-22-33-44-55
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.52(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 06 June 2017 10:12:48
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 June 2017 10:12:47
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

my gateway on my non existent nas should be the same as the pc values above. The router DNS should be set to either my enterprise DNS, or in some case a router, but i use opendns, and google dns

On my PC, knowing the ip address of the nas, i would check that the nas ip is within the correct range, also type ping 192.168.1.??? The ip can be found sometimes via the router (depends on the router) or nas device, or by using a network scanner(messy).

would suspect/guess a network cable, or nic, or nic on the router port, if the nas array is up and working.
    Last edited by were; 06-06-2017 at 2:12 PM. Reason: forgot to suggest to use the ip instead of the nas name
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 7th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    • 5,531 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 7th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    • 7th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    thanks for the replies. the nas has only just started disconnecting this week. not sure what smb packets are and haven't disabled them or made any changes to the pc. my isp is plusnet. i did manage to finally connect yesterday after rebooting the HP N54L but when i booted the pc this morning it was disconnected again.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 7th Jun 17, 8:50 AM
    • 2,508 Posts
    • 1,655 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 7th Jun 17, 8:50 AM
    • 7th Jun 17, 8:50 AM
    You would have known if you have disabled smb1 ..

You can either map it by IP address as shown above, that will work fine, or you could add an entry into your hosts file for the device ..

Both are solutions to your problem

Hope that helps
    Andy
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • toshi
    • By toshi 7th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    toshi
    • 7th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    • 7th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    I assume that you access to your server within a local network.

Also instead of the nas name to avoid DNS in your home workgroup you could use \\192.168.1.nas_ip\nas_share_name
    Originally posted by were
    Agree, This is the way to go

Using hostname would be quite messy and temperamental in Windows network, (Reverse DNS lookup etc), if you use a hostname for your server, try using an IP address. You really don't have to use DNS service to access a small Local network, and it would be easy for troubleshooting.

Basic: (assuming your server ip : 192.168.1.1

The first thing you need to do is
    Windows command prompt:
    ping 192.168.1.1
    then enter.

Can you get a response ? if no, no point do anything further. Get a response first. (May be physical cable connection, maybe your computer firewall block etc)

Ok, once get the response then

Try share mapping \\192.168.1.1\share instead of \\hostname\share

It should work, if not, just reboot your computer and try again. (Don't ask me why, but it seems Windows confuses sometime hosthame /ip mix environment)
    Last edited by toshi; 07-06-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: clarification
    • were
    • By were 7th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    • 7th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    ... my isp is plusnet.
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Connection loss on home units most likely have nothing to do with your isp, as it would be unwise giving internet access to your storage, without the right security and encryption.

Being lazy, on a pc would run Ping Info View http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/multiple_ping_tool.html
    This allows you to run continuous pings of multiple IPs. I would ping google.com, your router ip, your nas box ip every few seconds.

If the ip fails on all, it is either your PC or Router at fault. If you are sure the the nas box is really loosing its ping, the first thing i would do was to touch the top of the box to make sure it is not cooking, and the fans are working. Next would be to visit the freenas forums, do a search, and if that fails do a post. However I do keep thinking the word.... 'Drivers'

is your nas set up as zfs? Because zfs is reliable, and you can plug the zfs diskpool into any new system fairly easily.
    Last edited by were; 07-06-2017 at 2:50 PM.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 10th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 5,531 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    thanks again for replies. finally got around to looking at connection to nas today after losing connection again. instead of hostname\share I mapped ip\share and it connected immediately.

still don't know why after a couple of years of not having a problem the nas has started disconnecting.

now to look at laptop that keeps cutting out
    • were
    • By were 10th Jun 17, 8:33 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:33 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:33 PM
    you could always modify you Hosts file on your PCs they you can just type in \\nas_box\ rather than ip
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

318Posts Today

3,054Users online

Martin's Twitter