Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 6th Jun 17, 1:28 AM
    • 323Posts
    • 10Thanks
    blackcloud
    Why does Vokera boiler keep going off and on?
    • 6th Jun 17, 1:28 AM
    Why does Vokera boiler keep going off and on? 6th Jun 17 at 1:28 AM
    Good morning all,

I have a Vokera boiler and sometimes it keeps going off and on when the hot tap is running, like it will fire up run for a few seconds then turn off for a couple of seconds then back on again, over and over and over. So the water gets hot and then cools and then hot again and so on obviously.

Sometimes its ok, and if I turn off the hot tap and back on again but not at full pressure it works fine again. Any ideas what the issue could be? It just had a brand new part, I dont know what it was called now but it completely stopped working and needed a new board or whatever its called in January

I noticed the water pressure it at 0.5 when the boiler is in use and not in use. SHould it be higher? if so, how do I change it?

Thank you all in advance
Page 1
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 6th Jun 17, 6:18 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:18 AM
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:18 AM
    I would guess your plate heat exchanger is blocked, you could try, as a temp fix try setting the pressure to 1.5 and turn the hot water temperature to the lowest and see if it cuts out, if it does then there is nothing you can do but get it repaired, if it doesn't cut out keep increasing the temperature until it cuts out and keep it set just below the point that it cuts out. That should give you a constant hot water temperature until you repair it.

If im right and it's your plate blocked then it's possible to have it cleaned which may be cheaper then replacing but the reason it will have blocked is black sludge, I would say it will be definitely in your interest to have a power flush and magnetic system filter or a minimum of the filter put on the central heating return pipe to try and stop this happening again.
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 6th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    blackcloud
    • 6th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 6th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I have also noticed that since doing this not only does the water go hot and cold but when it goes hot it goes VERY VERY hot, much hotter than what I had programed it to be before it started to stop working properly.

How do I fix try setting the pressure to 1.5?

Its a vokera compact 28 se

It was only 5 months ago that there was NO POWER GOING TO GAS VALVE and the plumber REPLACED PCB WATER IN GAS VALVE FITTED NEW GAS VALVE TESTED OK
    Last edited by blackcloud; 06-06-2017 at 1:50 PM.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 6th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 5,167 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 6th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    get the thermistors checked,

to top up the pressure you should have a filling loop (like a silver braided hose between two pipes connected to two valves) one or both with have either levers or a center screw, open one valve then the other slowly (if it has two) you should hear the water going in & watch the pressure gauge it really won't take much water which is why you must open it/them slowly, once upto 1.0/1.5 turn the valve(s) back off
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 6th Jun 17, 2:13 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    blackcloud
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:13 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:13 PM
    Thanks, There is only a green light which does not go red, well it has in the past but not now. All it does is when the hot water is running the green light goes a steady green and after 5 seconds goes off starts flashing green then fires up again and goes steady green again and then the cycle starts all over again and again.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 6th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    What model boiler is it
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 6th Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    blackcloud
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    Its a vokera compact 28 se
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 6th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 6th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    If it doesn't goto a fault code I would think it has to be temperature related. Still think plate heat exchangers personally, sensors are possible that they are giving false reading but if they were that far out then I think you'd get a fault code, gas valve min and max not set correctly maybe but again think you'd get a fault code.

Don't think there's much anyone can do with out seeing the boiler at this point.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 8th Jun 17, 1:36 AM
    • 5,167 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:36 AM
    • 8th Jun 17, 1:36 AM
    If it doesn't goto a fault code I would think it has to be temperature related. Still think plate heat exchangers personally, sensors are possible that they are giving false reading but if they were that far out then I think you'd get a fault code
    Originally posted by Alex1983
    It doesn't have a plate hex, which is why I said check thermistors 1st before going down the de-scaling route
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 8th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Alex1983
    Southcoast is correct your model has no plate heat exchanger, it has a dual pass heat exchanger, which could be blocked but not as likely.

When it fires for the short time, what does it sound like.
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 8th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    blackcloud
    When it fires up and goes off, it just sounds like it always does when it fires up, the goes quiet then after a couple of seconds it fires up again.
    UPDATE:
    lanlord sent out someone to have a look at it. He said it was the sat and will get the part and come back today, he checked with Vokera who said its not possible for it to be that, so landlord sent out another guy who said that it needs a new gas valve as water is getting in from the outside wall into the gAS valve from the rain as he looked on the outside wall and said the slants were pointing downwards, which is the wrong way around which allows the rain/condensation etc to get into the boiler and into the gas valve.
    So I dont know whats going to happen now.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 9th Jun 17, 9:03 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Alex1983
    Does it work on heating? Just read back the previous and though it said it worked on heating but can't see where it says it.
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 9th Jun 17, 10:56 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    blackcloud
    NOw the boiler will not turn on at all now, red light the whole time
    Landlord says hes going to get it fixed but its been almost a week and still not fixed.
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 9th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    blackcloud
    The landlord said he is considering his options ie wether to fix it or buy a new boiler, so how long this will take him to "consider his options" maybe days, weeks, months, never. I dont know but he said he will get back to me in due course.
    Apparently it needs a new gas valve only. So now we just have to wait with no heating or hot water, he could have had Vokera fix it by now as they offer next day repair, he could have had this other engineer replace the gas valve too by now too but its thinking about what to do. But really not fair when he could have had it repaired days ago and has left us with no heating or hot water. I dont know what to do
    Is there any temporary measure to get hot water rather than boiling at kettle to take a shower etc? it does not have a cylinder this boiler. The shower is Gas supplied so not hot water from that either

He said I do not need you to contact me with loads of emails and texts everyday, I will do it when I want to. Not hundrereds at all, maybe 3 a day at best.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,422Posts Today

8,739Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin