Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishgirl87
    • By scottishgirl87 5th Jun 17, 11:22 PM
    • 629Posts
    • 354Thanks
    scottishgirl87
    Any recent Scot House Move reviews?
    • 5th Jun 17, 11:22 PM
    Any recent Scot House Move reviews? 5th Jun 17 at 11:22 PM
    We're hoping to get our flat up for sale in the next month or 2 and are currently stuck in the minefield that is choosing an estate agent. I have started to get quotes from local agents who have sold in our estate recently, however, I'm finding Scot House Move by far the cheapest.

A little put off by the fact they don't have any active properties for sale within my area at the moment (those listed on their website are sold, under offer, etc.), not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. On the other hand Purple Bricks are coming in more expensive but have a number of properties in the area and a colleague recently used them also.

Has anyone any recent experience with Scot House Move??
Page 1
    • mysterymurdoch
    • By mysterymurdoch 6th Jun 17, 6:38 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    mysterymurdoch
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:38 AM
    • 6th Jun 17, 6:38 AM
    How much is your house worth?

It's tempting to see how cheap an online agent is, but a high st agent is likely to get you a higher price and if I sold again I'd use one
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 6th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    ellie27
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    We used them when we sold our house in 2014.

We knew what our house was worth, had it valued by a few agents and same houses were selling along the road so knew what was realistic.

We had 4 viewers in the first few days and had 2 offers.
    We went on to accept an offer and everything went smoothly. They took calls, arranged viewings, gave us quick feedback from viewers - normally the day after the viewing. They negotiated with buyers on price etc.

Would highly recommend them. We paid the £500ish upfront deal.

We wouldnt have got more using a high-street agent. We got our home report value which was the most we would ever have got. We would have been over £1500 more in fees with them.

If you are confident of the price you think you can market it at, and being realistic then go for it.
    Last edited by ellie27; 06-06-2017 at 8:40 AM. Reason: .
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 6th Jun 17, 8:53 AM
    • 10,594 Posts
    • 14,558 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:53 AM
    • 6th Jun 17, 8:53 AM
    Does it make that much difference who you use? As long as your property can be listed on portals such as Rightmove and whichever Solicitors Property Centre covers your area because that's where potential buyers will be looking. Your solicitor will receive offers and I assume you'll conduct the viewings yourself.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • mysterymurdoch
    • By mysterymurdoch 6th Jun 17, 9:20 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    mysterymurdoch
    • 6th Jun 17, 9:20 AM
    • 6th Jun 17, 9:20 AM
    We had 4 viewers in the first few days and had 2 offers.

We wouldnt have got more using a high-street agent.
    Originally posted by ellie27
    Sounds to me like you would. I got 4k over our home report value. Houses all over Scotland are selling for over home report value, assuming they're in desirable areas.
    • scottishgirl87
    • By scottishgirl87 6th Jun 17, 9:51 AM
    • 629 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    scottishgirl87
    • 6th Jun 17, 9:51 AM
    • 6th Jun 17, 9:51 AM
    Thanks all. I managed to get a copy of the Home Report of an identical flat in our estate which was valued at £168k so we're expecting a similar value.

Am I really likely to get a higher price via a traditional estate agent? Think I'll need to put a spreadsheet together of all quotes but one has quoted £1000 +VAT and the lowest percentage wise has been 0.7% of sale. Compared with Scot House Move at £645 including signage outside.
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 6th Jun 17, 10:15 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    ellie27
    • 6th Jun 17, 10:15 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 10:15 PM
    Very unlikely in my case. High street agents were wanting to advertise my house for much less than I actually put it on at. They are just desperate to sell and get their fee.

3 identical houses all sold within the 3 months or so before I put mine up, so it would have been unlikely I would have sold for much more than any of those houses. This was end 2014 and then in my area houses were selling under home report. Very different now though!
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 6th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    ellie27
    • 6th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 6th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    Those fees quotes are they the full amount or do you not have an initial advertising fee ontop of that? around £300?
    • scottishgirl87
    • By scottishgirl87 7th Jun 17, 8:20 AM
    • 629 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    scottishgirl87
    • 7th Jun 17, 8:20 AM
    • 7th Jun 17, 8:20 AM
    The quotes from high street agents do have an additional advertising fee around £300-£400. I put a spreadsheet together last night and to go with a traditional high street agent we'll actually only be around £900 worse off which doesn't seem that bad in the grand scheme of things. We're still debating what to do and of course that money is better in our pocket than there's but if a traditional agent is going to work for their money, so to speak, when Scot House Move won't as they'll be paid upfront then it might be worth our while.
    Last edited by scottishgirl87; 07-06-2017 at 9:13 AM.
    • gld73
    • By gld73 10th Jun 17, 5:20 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    gld73
    As a potential buyer, I wanted to view a flat back in January that Scot House Move was advertising - they said it was already under offer and so no more viewings would be done.

It's now June, and the flat is still advertised .... every month I've contacted them thinking the sale has fallen through and it's back on the market, but no, I'm always told it's "Under offer" or "sold". Given the flat was empty/chain-free and was likely to appeal to an investor, I'm pretty sure the transaction wouldn't take this long.

I suspect that SHM just want some profile in this area and so they're keeping the few properties they've had here as "live" on the property websites even though they're no longer available.

So not an opinion on SHM as a seller, but as a buyer, very frustrating!!
    • scottishgirl87
    • By scottishgirl87 10th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    scottishgirl87
    Thanks, gld. That's good to know. I think I've ruled them out now anyway as I noticed they don't provide a floorplan so I think I've decided to go with Purple Bricks instead
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,123Posts Today

7,000Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin