Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 5th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 7,783Posts
    • 13,140Thanks
    Dreamnine
    What is the most you would pay for socks?
    • 5th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    What is the most you would pay for socks? 5th Jun 17 at 3:14 PM
    In John Lewis today I opted for their cheapest ones - a five pack of black with coloured toes and heels for £12. I know that you can get really cheap socks in other places but they tend to break apart and end up with bits stuck on your sole.

They had designer ones, also, I think going up to near £30 for a pack of 3.

How much would you spend on socks?
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
Page 2
    • two yellow roses
    • By two yellow roses 6th Jun 17, 2:57 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    two yellow roses
    I only buy Pringle socks. About £3 a pair.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 6th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    • 49,278 Posts
    • 134,781 Thanks
    colinw
    I would sell my soul to the highest bidder for a pair of black ankle socks
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 6th Jun 17, 4:53 PM
    • 22,539 Posts
    • 86,048 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Have been buying Primark multipacks for a while, but over the last year, the quality has dropped so much that they've become so thin that new ones have ended up with holes in after two wears.
    Before they were cheap enough to throw away rather than faff about with a needle and thread, but they're now a false economy, IMO, and I'll be going back up the pricescale again.

On the rare occasions that I've bought dearer socks, the difference in comfort and longevity is considerable - but it's the same with tights - the cheap ones can self destruct by simply trying to pull the things up, whereas paying more usually means that they can at least resist your fingernails and they only ladder when you catch your leg on something.

If I had the disposable income, I'd happily pay up to a tenner a pair - and would also go for more expensive clothing generally, as it would last longer, but when you've only got a few quid and need something to pass muster at work, you don't have the opportunity to save up.

I remember having a discussion with my mother where she said I was an idiot for buying things from M&S or suchlike when I could get 'five times the stuff from Primark'. I hadn't even mentioned the brands I get online. Yes, and whilst the old clothes have only given up the ghost after 3-5 years, if not longer (I've got some things where their age is measured in decades), I get about 3 months out of one item from Primark, 6 months for trousers/jeans, before the item has disintegrated or faded beyond all recognition, the latter being a problem at work, as they really don't approve of clothes that look tatty.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 6th Jun 17, 7:45 PM
    • 2,948 Posts
    • 4,775 Thanks
    avogadro
    The worst socks for shrinking, fading and getting holes in them were a pack of mens socks from ASDA. They were ridiculously cheap, but only lasted for one wear.

Possibly akin to the disposable items of clothing you get from vending machines in Japan.

• ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 6th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 2,535 Thanks
    ceredigion
    40 quid a pair
    https://www.trouva.com/boutique/lissom-muster-in-m47jb/sage-green-plain-knit-mohair-socks?utm_source=googleshoppingUK&utm_medium=cpc&u tm_campaign=googleshoppingUK&gclid=CjwKEAjwpdnJBRC 4hcTFtc6fwEkSJABwupNiQhscGy_1PtqTnxNGBqNs_iAf35M1L mzlpQuIGFRiDxoCLyPw_wcB
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 12th Jun 17, 11:08 PM
    • 2,928 Posts
    • 4,431 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    I have been buying primary socks, but have realised they just don't last .. today I have purchased m&s socks at 3 times the cost in a hope that they will wear better.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 13th Jun 17, 12:46 AM
    • 3,759 Posts
    • 4,790 Thanks
    jack_pott
    For just everyday socks not much. I have just bought some running socks that were about £11 a pair ... I figure if you are going to be spending 4-5 hrs running with wet feet then you need to have something that is comfortable.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    That reminds me of the Thorlo socks I used to use for fellwalking, they were £12 back in the 1990s. Very thick and comfortable, but a bit hot in summer.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Jun 17, 12:54 AM
    • 25,479 Posts
    • 102,942 Thanks
    candygirl
    Nothing

I don't wear socks
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    Are you Don Johnson?
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 13th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 6,774 Posts
    • 14,775 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    Because I wear boots most of the time, and because my daughter works in Loo Nook - she buys me all the cute animal animal socks when they are reduced to 50p. I have pandas . T-rexes, pooches, owls etc but my favorite ones have witches on broomsticks!!
    Hell in a handcart either way.
    • Helping_Hands
    • By Helping_Hands 21st Jun 17, 2:02 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Helping_Hands
    My cankles mean I need certain socks, so I buy from Cosyfeet £17 for 3 pairs, British made and last a fair decent time!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin