Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tabithabooboo
    • By Tabithabooboo 5th Jun 17, 2:07 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 139Thanks
    Tabithabooboo
    Little Miss Spendy needs to change!
    • 5th Jun 17, 2:07 PM
    Little Miss Spendy needs to change! 5th Jun 17 at 2:07 PM
    I have been a member on this forum for a good few years and have had episodes of being mindful of my spending interspersed by ridiculous and needless shopping. I have now got to the stage where I am sick and tired of worrying about money and debt. I need to get serious! I am on my early 40s with a hubbie and two children, I earn a good income yet am always overdrawn and in debt. Always fire fighting with the finances.Totally unnecessary and no excuses...I just seem to have phases where I don't care about the consequences. I know what I need to do but I need to be accountable and this is why I am starting my diary today. It isn't likely to be a mind blowingly exciting read, but I am determined to write everyday to keep me on the straight and narrow and keep me away from those pesky shops and temptation. I love a list so I am going to start writing down all my aims and then prioritise where to start.
    I have a loan of 1170 and credit card debt of 1280. We bought a caravan for a holiday home and I took out a 7 year loan of 25,000 3.4% in April. I want to get the first two paid off before Christmas and reduce the big loan to as few years as possible. Any comments and support is appreciated!!
Page 2
    • Tabithabooboo
    • By Tabithabooboo 7th Jun 17, 10:40 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Tabithabooboo
    Just checked my eBay listings & currently up to £20, woohoo!!
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 7th Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 4,281 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    There are 100 cents in 1 dollar. There are 100 pence in 1 pound. It doesn't matter that it is in dollars, it works exactly the same. If you choose to purchase after the month free trial, you can swap the $ symbol for £ symbol. the numbers will remain the same.
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    • Tabithabooboo
    • By Tabithabooboo 8th Jun 17, 6:56 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Tabithabooboo
    Thanks Tallulah, I'll be giving it a go!
    • mobo1980
    • By mobo1980 8th Jun 17, 8:42 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    mobo1980
    Good luck Tabithabooboo

I am obsessed with lists also ! They just help to focus the mind so much .
    Lists for work , lists for cleaning , lists for shopping the lists go on I'm also a little obsessed with stationery (i'm a Capricorn that's my excuse !

Mobo xx
    CC1-£1729.53
    CC2-£4323.00
    LOAN-£14,519.05
    TOTAL DEBT £20,571.58
    Then there's the mortgage
    • Tabithabooboo
    • By Tabithabooboo 8th Jun 17, 4:32 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Tabithabooboo
    Thanks Mono, good to know it's not just me!! Now where are those post it's..
    • Tabithabooboo
    • By Tabithabooboo 8th Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Tabithabooboo
    A short update tonight, am totally pooped. Returned some items today, £60 back & made £12.50 on 2 ebay items. Still got 17 listed & a good few bids. Stuck to meal plan & own food & coffee again at work. Had to get some milk eye at Aldi but only got essential items. Resolve remains strong...
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 9th Jun 17, 7:38 AM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 8,860 Thanks
    phizzimum
    Hi Tabithabooboo

Just wanted to share something that worked for us.

About 10 years ago we had a timeshare (I know, I know, it seemed like a good idea at the time). Every time we used it I would pay a chunk off. I would work out how much a week's self catering accommodation would cost and that's how much I would pay off the loan. I didn't want us to think "yay, we're having a free holiday!" As it's not free until it's all paid off.

Hope you can keep motivated, you're doing really well. All those little changes do add up
    weaving through the chaos...
    • Tabithabooboo
    • By Tabithabooboo 9th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Tabithabooboo
    Thanks Phizzimum, what a great idea!! As well as the monthly payment I could factor that in, will defo look at that.
    Day 4- had to get some essentials today. Needed some face cleanser, normally spend £20, went for a £3.99 one & works a treat! Reminds me of the tv programme (can't remember the name) where they make a family try products without knowing the brand, amazing how we are sucked into spending more for certain brands (esp anti ageing!).I've never considered this for beauty products, defo going to try cheaper alternatives from now on.
    Still to do SOA & plan my budget. Have done meal plan for rest of month. Checking in here defo helps, as I said not a riveting read but its doing the job!
    • Tabithabooboo
    • By Tabithabooboo 11th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Tabithabooboo
    Well I'm still on track with no unnecessary purchases. Been at the caravan all weekend, stuck to the meal plan & enjoyed free activities with the kids. Have got loads of bids in tonight for eBay so hoping to make £50, fingers crossed!
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 11th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    • 6,009 Posts
    • 17,410 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Well I'm still on track with no unnecessary purchases. Been at the caravan all weekend, stuck to the meal plan & enjoyed free activities with the kids. Have got loads of bids in tonight for eBay so hoping to make £50, fingers crossed!
    Originally posted by Tabithabooboo
    Well done! The caravan sounds great
    Total debt (starting September 2016): €23,999/€27,000
    BOI credit card: €6,000/€7,000
    Loan:€17,999/ €20,000
    Emergency savings: €400/€1000
    • Tabithabooboo
    • By Tabithabooboo 11th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Tabithabooboo
    Made £65, woohoo!
    Love the caravan clearmydebts, its right on the beach, never tire of the seaside
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 11th Jun 17, 9:39 PM
    • 6,009 Posts
    • 17,410 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Made £65, woohoo!
    Love the caravan clearmydebts, its right on the beach, never tire of the seaside
    Originally posted by Tabithabooboo
    Oh fab position if it's right on the beach. Love the sea. We live in a seaside town and I grew up by the sea
    Total debt (starting September 2016): €23,999/€27,000
    BOI credit card: €6,000/€7,000
    Loan:€17,999/ €20,000
    Emergency savings: €400/€1000
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 11th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Reb2016
    Thats a great result with eBay, amazing how it can all start to add up.
    Light bulb moment June 2017
    Debt 13137.06
    Debt free date October 2020 41 months
    • Tabithabooboo
    • By Tabithabooboo 11th Jun 17, 10:16 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Tabithabooboo
    Day 7
    Reflections on the last week:
    1. I need to budget for more than monthly outgoings. I have already started working out annual expenditure.
    2. Meal planning/taking food to work needs some planning & dedicated time to organise.
    3. I need an emergency fund
    4. Writing in this diary keeps me accountable to myself.
    5. I have in the past failed as I have restricted myself too much them splurged, I need to be realistic & set long term goals.
    6. I have a house full of stuff that I can sift through & make some money. I need to see this as a project rather than a chore.
    7 I spend when I am unhappy or have a f***k it moment. I need to find alternative ways of managing these thoughts.
    I'm going to do a weekly reflection of what I'm learning to be able to look back on. Another crazy week ahead.. .Night all
    • Tabithabooboo
    • By Tabithabooboo 12th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Tabithabooboo
    Looking for some ideas....we would like to get a bench to sit outside our caravan ( it is South facing) & we thought about getting one with storage under to put wellies etc in. There is nowhere to put muddy shoes inside so this would be handy. Looked at b&q and they are £100 Normally would have just bought it but with my money saving hat on I stopped myself. It isn't essential but could do with something cheaper, esp with the summer hols coming up & we'll pretty much be living there. Does anyone have any super scrolling ideas??
    • Tabithabooboo
    • By Tabithabooboo 12th Jun 17, 9:49 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Tabithabooboo
    Super scrimping I mean!
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 12th Jun 17, 11:06 PM
    • 3,386 Posts
    • 13,065 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Either of you handy with an hammer? Make one?

We've made all our furniture, along with a tree house and castle with bridge and tower for the kids.

Everyone comments how lovely our garden is now, and 99% of the wood was reclaimed so free

DFW £523.71/£7348.71
    Rent Arrears £271.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £91.05 + £70 Cash + £25 Amazon
    • Tabithabooboo
    • By Tabithabooboo 13th Jun 17, 7:00 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Tabithabooboo
    Thanks H, you know my husband is pretty good so I'll get on Pinterest for some ideas...might need some serious bribing to get him to build something
    • Tabithabooboo
    • By Tabithabooboo 13th Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Tabithabooboo
    Your garden sound amazing btw Hidden!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,422Posts Today

8,739Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin