Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 5th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 155Posts
    • 48Thanks
    Carmk2008
    getting married on holiday
    • 5th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    getting married on holiday 5th Jun 17 at 1:20 PM
    Looking to see if anyone has done similar and how it went. We are going to Crete in sept we are going to get married when there it will just be us and our three kids and we will get a couple witnesses over there. Do you think this is selfish as we both agree about not being able to justify thousands on one day. We will throw a small party when we come back for family and friends. I am not that close to my family but my partner is so not sure how they will take it.
Page 2
    • chesky
    • By chesky 7th Jun 17, 12:06 AM
    • 782 Posts
    • 1,076 Thanks
    chesky
    Whose idea was it?
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 7th Jun 17, 8:02 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    Both, but she was more keen on it than me if I'm honest.
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 7th Jun 17, 9:56 AM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    Also you can lodge the certificate with the registrar general in London.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    That option was removed some years ago now.
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 16,672 Posts
    • 99,581 Thanks
    maman
    This is what I worry about as I couldn't care less about mine not coming but I do want whats right for her and have repeatedly asked if she would like her family there and she has assured me its about us and the kids so she happy to do this.
    Originally posted by Carmk2008

Please don't take this the wrong way but, as you've said you have an 18 year old child then family must have long since given up waiting for a wedding invitation!

I think you and your partner need to separate whether you're not inviting people just to save moneyor whether you just want a very private ceremony for 'romantic' or other reasons.

When DH and I got married (second time for both of us) we didn't feel it was appropriate or important to have a big, fussy wedding. We went to a registry office with just one brother and SIL. Then went for a slap up meal then went home and told the children, in laws (babysitting) and phoned rest of family. Then shared a bottle of bubbly. That was it and 37 years later we're still blissfully happy.
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 7th Jun 17, 5:25 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    Should've said our eldest is mine from another relationship although my partner has been in her life for 16years so she classes her as ours. My partners parents still think there will be the big day as there is the usual hints but being honest marriage was never a top priority for me don't know if this to do with the cost or the fact you see so many divorces nowadays or maybe I just don't buy into the tradition but I love my partner more than anything and after 16 years together surely we know each well enough to spend the rest of our lives together and as she suggested very low key and intimate which totally appeals to me so we agreed to go for it.
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 8th Jun 17, 2:10 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    I got married on holiday. We said to the families that they were welcome to be there if they wanted to, but we'd understand if they couldn't make it (it was a long haul destination). In the end we had a couple of friends and a few family members and it was lovely. Very easy to arrange, much less stressful than planning a wedding here, from what I hear.

It's ideal if you don't want a big fuss and want your life together to be the focus, rather than just a 1 day ceremony.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • Jackson_N
    • By Jackson_N 9th Jun 17, 8:09 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jackson_N
    In my opinion, you can get married on holiday if you and your husband want to do it, just do it (:
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 9th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    We have booked the ceremony to take place on holiday, just us two and the kids. I asked her again if she's sure this is what she wants and she was adamant it is. Guess we will just need to deal with any fallout that comes our way, looking forward to it now.
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 10th Jun 17, 9:57 PM
    • 16,467 Posts
    • 278,360 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Being nosey, where in Crete are you getting married? Crete is one of my most favourite places on the planet
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...

Attempt number 7854- W1-3 -6lbs
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 11th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    Its in Sissi at Sentido Vasia. Never been to Crete any recommendations for places to go.
    • 1972Angel
    • By 1972Angel 13th Jun 17, 11:14 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    1972Angel
    We got married in Lanzarote and we asked a small number of family and friends if they wanted to come - hubbys parents, 2 sisters, 1 partner and his niece came along with my parents, aunt and uncle and my daughter - my brother and girlfriend didn't want to and my best friend couldn't due to be 8 months pregnant with our now goddaughter.

It was their choice whether to come and whatever they chose was fine with us - at the end of the day it was what we wanted.

We did then host a barbecue back home for a more extended group of family and friends

In total in saved us half of what a wedding in the U.K would have cost but it wasn't about money it was about us and our dream of what we wanted the day to be
    • malebolge
    • By malebolge 14th Jun 17, 2:56 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    malebolge
    Two different experiences. I was very ill when my daughter decided to get married. We discussed it, and as she had two children from a previous relationship, she didn't want a church do and I really didn't feel up to being mother of the bride (I'd recently had a major heart attack & had other serious health problems). We decided that they'd get married in Barbados, just them & the children, then have a party when they got home. She had her dream day & a honeymoon combined and really enjoyed it. Yes, I would have liked to have seen her get married, but being practical, it would probably have been without me anyway had she got married in this country as I was in and out of hospital so much.
    Her friend recently got married in Portugal. All her guests were 'expected' to go too. (For 6 days). The cost of the flight/hotel & food was £1000+ per person. It was out of season so nothing much to do. The couple asked for money as a present so they could go on honeymoon. Add onto that a hen night that was 4 days in Spain, and people ended up paying round about £2,000 a head to be involved.
    Tbh, a lot of people suggested they'd have been happier (and wealthier) had they done like my daughter; got married on their own then had a do at home.
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 14th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    Just found out one of my partners workmates has just done the same except it was only the two of them, guess I know where the idea came from now, not that it bothers me. I heard my partner tell her mother about it and she says if that's what they wanted that's all that matters, hopefully she will feel the same for us.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,252Posts Today

9,530Users online

Martin's Twitter