Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 5th Jun 17, 10:58 AM
    • 101Posts
    • 56Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay my share of the TV licence?
    • 5th Jun 17, 10:58 AM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay my share of the TV licence? 5th Jun 17 at 10:58 AM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I live in a shared flat and my flatmates want to split the cost of a licence so we can watch live TV. I know I won't use the TV as I'm out a lot and already pay for Netflix. Should I pay up just to keep the peace?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 05-06-2017 at 2:52 PM.
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 2
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 9th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    Why don't you combine the cost of the TV license with Netflix - that way your flatmates and you can watch both, and you might be better off anyway - if there are 3 of you a third of the TV license and a third of Netflix is gonna be cheaper. Plus if you didn't watch live TV, you'd miss out on all the fun of the next general election coverage.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 9th Jun 17, 2:11 PM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 1,990 Thanks
    boliston
    there is enough election coverage without annoying tv coverage as well!

where do you draw the line? next you might be expected to pay a share of the sky sub if someone wants sky - i just find tv generally irritating so would refuse on principle to have anything to do with it
    • Paul H 42
    • By Paul H 42 10th Jun 17, 9:33 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paul H 42
    How would you share a fine if it was for you?
    If everyone plays the same game maybe there won't be a licence. If you answer the door when the TV's on, you might find yourself being fined for watching TV without a licence. You might find a court doesn't believe your protestations about never watching it. Then having played hardball over the licence would you be able to persuade your flatmates to play ball with you? If you are really sharing, and trying to have good relations, is it worth taking a stand over such a small amount of money (as others have pointed out)?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,597Posts Today

9,849Users online

Martin's Twitter