Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoMax1
    • By JoMax1 5th Jun 17, 10:46 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JoMax1
    0 WOW
    Ryanair bags
    • 5th Jun 17, 10:46 AM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair bags 5th Jun 17 at 10:46 AM
    I have a flight to malaga booked later this month and have just logged on to add a bag and they want £105 for a 15KG bag and £125 for a £20KG ... OMG paid half that at Easter ... no one is going to pay those prices!! Ive not read about any increases as wouldn't have booked with them if I had known. Am I missing something here?
Page 2
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 8th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    The dimensions specified include the wheels.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    I know what the dimensions state, it's a pity the overhead lockers don't reflect that.

So I ask again - would you be happy to sit with luggage on your lap for the duration of a flight because there is no room above due to the fact that everybody has decided to carry all their luggage in the cabin rather than just keep it to the stuff they need for the flight?
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 16,403 Posts
    • 98,016 Thanks
    maman
    OK, because with Easyjet it means that most people take the Michael and take a small suitcase on wheels as hand luggage in an attempt to avoid hold luggage fees.

In my opinion, if it has wheels then it is hardly HAND luggage!!
    Originally posted by bertiewhite

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but taking hand luggage of a specified size on board is allowed by the airline so I'm not surprised that passengers avail themselves of the opportunity.

I do have an issue with passengers who lie the bags flat when they take up more space than standing side on. I have moved things myself but I would like the staff to be more vigilant.

What generally happens is when staff notice that most lockers are getting pretty full they alert the gate and then hand luggage is put into the hold at no charge. I don't think you'd ever be expected (or allowed) to sit with your luggage on your lap for the duration of a flight.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 8th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    I don't think you'd ever be expected (or allowed) to sit with your luggage on your lap for the duration of a flight.
    Originally posted by maman
    Easyjet did at the beginning of April - hence the flavour of my posts.
    • maisie06
    • By maisie06 8th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    maisie06
    It's a cheap flight, they make money on all the extras such as hold luggage, seat selection etc, if they didn't cheap flights would cease to exist. Either pay the extra - I never do, just take hand luggage and yes my hold case does have wheels but fits in witn cheapo airline dimensions and it takes up less room than some ridiculous ovesized handbags I have seen carted about...Surely you don't need whole wardrobes of stuff for a week in Malaga?

Unfortunately it's the joy of mass, cheap travel you just have to suck it up.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 8th Jun 17, 7:13 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 8,444 Thanks
    LilElvis
    It's a cheap flight, they make money on all the extras such as hold luggage, seat selection etc, if they didn't cheap flights would cease to exist. Either pay the extra - I never do, just take hand luggage and yes my hold case does have wheels but fits in witn cheapo airline dimensions and it takes up less room than some ridiculous ovesized handbags I have seen carted about...Surely you don't need whole wardrobes of stuff for a week in Malaga?

Unfortunately it's the joy of mass, cheap travel you just have to suck it up.
    Originally posted by maisie06
    Depends on your definition of "cheap". We booked with Easyjet in February for 2 adults and 1 child flying to Malaga for the last week of May and the basic flight cost was £1300 before hold luggage and seat selection.
    • JoMax1
    • By JoMax1 8th Jun 17, 7:23 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JoMax1
    Well maybe but I paid £64 at easter return for the same journey adding the bag a few weeks before the flight..
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 9th Jun 17, 7:43 AM
    • 9,623 Posts
    • 6,127 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Well it's against regulations to do this on take off and landing.
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 9th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    AlexMac
    Wow; I used to fly Ryanair and would only ever take hand baggage for that reason.

We've given up on 'em, not cos of that, but we can't stand the 30-mile dawn drive or the £50 taxi to any of their London airports...

So now we use London City to Malaga; partly cos we can get to LCY in under half an hour on our scroungers' pensioners' bus pass, partly because of civilised flight times, and also as it takes minutes to get through security there!

Ironically, there are still BA flights to Malaga from LCY later this month from £200 return; and that includes carry on and a 23 kilo checked in bag!

Pity you ain't an East Ender
    • richardw
    • By richardw 9th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    • 17,974 Posts
    • 7,355 Thanks
    richardw
    With large hand luggage the answer is to incentivise people to check it in with cheaper prices for this size and a free prize draw game.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • JoMax1
    • By JoMax1 10th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JoMax1
    Price has reduced now !! On the app £65 for 15kg and £95 for 20kg... Still dearer than Easter .. gonna wait and check again in a few days
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 10th Jun 17, 6:33 PM
    • 4,121 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    stoneman
    All flights I have been on RA last year and this it was announced at the gate that only the first 90 passengers would be allowed to take hand luggage on, the rest would be put in the hold. We always offer to have them put ours away, we usually ask at bag drop if they wanted to do it there for free and sometimes they say yes.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Jun 17, 6:47 PM
    • 16,403 Posts
    • 98,016 Thanks
    maman
    Well it's against regulations to do this on take off and landing.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Were you asked to sit hugging your bag or did you choose to?
    • MrsBartolozzi
    • By MrsBartolozzi 10th Jun 17, 11:05 PM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 48,801 Thanks
    MrsBartolozzi
    Don't forget Ryanair let you take on another cabin bag too. I travelled with them twice in the past couple of weeks and took a cabin sized suitcase with wheels which went in the overhead locker and a 17L backpack which went under the seat, at my feet.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
    • JoMax1
    • By JoMax1 12th Jun 17, 7:27 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JoMax1
    Prices have been changing daily,... its now £80 for 20kg and £65 for 15kg on the app... about £20 more if you book online!!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 12th Jun 17, 7:39 PM
    • 18,417 Posts
    • 42,177 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I know what the dimensions state, it's a pity the overhead lockers don't reflect that.

So I ask again - would you be happy to sit with luggage on your lap for the duration of a flight because there is no room above due to the fact that everybody has decided to carry all their luggage in the cabin rather than just keep it to the stuff they need for the flight?
    If the lockers are full easyjet will put luggage in the hold for free, not make you keep it on your lap for the entire flight.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 14th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 3,208 Posts
    • 7,129 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    If the lockers are full easyjet will put luggage in the hold for free, not make you keep it on your lap for the entire flight.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Yup, I've had that offered while waiting at the gate a few times. My hand luggage contains my valuables (laptop, DSLR, lenses - about £3,000 worth to replace with new) so I never avail myself of that offer as I'm not letting it out of my sight..
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Ryanfuego
    • By Ryanfuego 15th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Ryanfuego
    No need to take a lot luggage in your situation. I suggest you to take some smaller bag, because the price for one big luggage is quite high and it does not worth it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,938Posts Today

9,360Users online

Martin's Twitter