Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • urv123
    • By urv123 5th Jun 17, 9:49 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    urv123
    Lack of sound insulation in block of flats
    • 5th Jun 17, 9:49 AM
    Lack of sound insulation in block of flats 5th Jun 17 at 9:49 AM
    Hi there
    I've purchased a property on a ground floor block of flats and to say that it could do with some soundproofing is an understatement!
    However, the issue i'd like to ask for help with is the following..

Everytime the tenants in the flat above me go to urinate/use the toilet, I can hear them very loud and clear in my flat. What is causing this and is this a problem which can be resolved? I read somewhere that it could be that the SVP pipe needs insulating, but when i'm in my bedroom/in the toilet, it sounds like they're in the room urinating on top of me! It's so loud!
    For now, i've tried the following:

1.Soundproofing the ceiling in the toilet with rockwool, 2x15mm plasterboard & a sheet of tecsound.
    2. rockwool around the SVP pipe...which has made no difference...do i need to do anything specific here?

Is there anything else I can try/do to stop the sound of people urinating above me?! How is this sound travelling? Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 5th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    • 5,872 Posts
    • 4,620 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 5th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    • 5th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    An insulated floating ceiling may help. The toilet will be fixed directly to the floor so the sound will travel directly through the floor/ceiling structure. A floating ceiling is separate from the current floor/ceiling so should hopefully reduce the noise.

Asking them to whizz on the side of the pan would be cheaper.

If you try this please update your post with the results.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 05-06-2017 at 10:29 AM.

• EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 5th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 5th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    • 5th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    Asking them to whizz on the side of the pan would be cheaper
    Originally posted by Norman Castle

As Norman Castle says, if the toilet is fixed directly onto the floor and the floor/joist/ceiling construction is the typical wood and plaster then the whole floor/ceiling will be acting like a loudspeaker magnifying the tiniest noise. If you've ever stood in a shed with a tin roof in the rain you'll understand the concept.

A floating ceiling may help a bit, but it would only be similar to placing a piece of cloth over the front of a loudspeaker. The only way to really cure the problem is to break the solid path that allows the sound of urination in the toilet to be transmitted to the floor/joist/ceiling construction. This would mean getting the upstairs neighbour to install a floating floor with a layer of insulation underneath.

Unfortunately unless the neighbour is easily embarrassed, the most you are likely to get them to do is to add a 'Please urinate quietly' sign near their toilet.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • westv
    • By westv 5th Jun 17, 1:02 PM
    • 4,219 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    westv
    • 5th Jun 17, 1:02 PM
    • 5th Jun 17, 1:02 PM
    Is someone taking the p*ss here?

• Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    • 5,872 Posts
    • 4,620 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    For now, i've tried the following:

1.Soundproofing the ceiling in the toilet with rockwool, 2x15mm plasterboard & a sheet of tecsound.
    Originally posted by urv123
    Did this make any difference with regard to airborne sound such as talking?

• urv123
    • By urv123 22nd Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    urv123
    • 22nd Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    An insulated floating ceiling may help. The toilet will be fixed directly to the floor so the sound will travel directly through the floor/ceiling structure. A floating ceiling is separate from the current floor/ceiling so should hopefully reduce the noise.

Asking them to whizz on the side of the pan would be cheaper.

If you try this please update your post with the results.
    I tried this and no improvement
    • urv123
    • By urv123 22nd Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    urv123
    • 22nd Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    Did this make any difference with regard to airborne sound such as talking?
    It's definitely made a difference regarding airbourne noise, but not impact noise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,413Posts Today

8,099Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A year of fighting to break the link between mental illness and money problems... https://t.co/LXgjxdv36O

• Today's twitter poll: Is Conservative pact with DUP necessary for stable govt during the crucial Brexit time, or should it've stayed alone?

• RT @thisismoney: First cash machine was used 50 years ago today: 50 facts you never knew about ATMs https://t.co/nh5kqb5Ml5

• Follow Martin