Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 4th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    • 2,319Posts
    • 33,491Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 5th June 2017
    • 4th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 5th June 2017 4th Jun 17 at 10:34 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Right here we go!!!

Muggles Monday ~ Kitchen & Dining Room
    Level One...
    Open the windows and let in the light
    Clear and wipe the work surfaces & table
    Wipe the units and appliances
    Clear and wipe table, replace cloth if necessary
    Level Two...
    Wipe the little appliances and put them back in their homes
    Wipe over the cupboards and large appliances
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Clean out drawers and filters
    Level Three...
    Thoroughly clean the cereal/baking
    Shine the grotty windows
    Clear and wipe window sills
    Wipe the inside doors.. inside.. and out!!
    Extras
    • HHI
    • Fill a bag for charity shop
    • Deweb the downstairs of the house!!
    • Wipe out the fridge.. meal plan for the rest of June!
    • Scrub the sink and tiles
    • Clean the lightshades
    • Bake a cake/buns or prepare a new meal for our family!

Thumping Tuesday ~ Living Room, Hall and Stairs
    Level One…
    Open the windows and turn on some music!
    Wipe and water the plants
    Wipe over sticky sofas.
    Level Two…
    Dusting, even if around everything
    Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
    Clean TV, any fluffy electricals and defluff behind the radiators!
    Level Three…
    Wipe paintworks and any grubby marks off walls etc
    Vacuum under any furniture you can.. please don't injure yourselves!
    Clean any other glass like mirrors, pictures etc
    Tidy shoes, coats and bags .. wash any that need washing and putting away not we have warmer weather!!
    HHC in the porch

Extras
    • Clear a hotspot or 3!
    • Clean light shades/fittings and lamps
    • Clean a window or two.
    • Wash any smelly soft furnishings!
    • Clear one hotspot, or just spend at least 5 minutes tackling it
    • Wash a pair of curtains, or some nets or a throw from a chair or bed
    • Groom the hairy pets... or the children lol
    • 29 fling boogie

Wishful Wednesday ~ Working from Own Lists

Thursday Scrubfest- Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
    Level One…

Clean & wash floors in these rooms
    Air the room.. fling open the windows and let in the summery air!!
    Replace sponges and toothbrushes that need doing!!
    Level Two…
    Clean baths, toilets, don't forget the outside and under the rim and sinks.. shine the taps with a toothbrush!!!!
    Dust PC and clear any clutter from desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
    Clean the windows in these rooms...
    Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
    Level Three…
    Wipe down tiles in bathroom.. defragment your pc while doing this.
    Empty and clean out all the upstairs bins!
    Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
    Collect any stray laundry from upstairs.
    HHG.. if your garden is already beautiful go out and enjoy it for half an hour!!

Extras…
    • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
    • Fling all those empty bottles and tubes
    • Binbag dance.... ready.. set.. go!!!!!!!!
    • Empty out the bathroom cabinet.. clean it.. fling what you don't need and stash the rest in a beautiful manner.. in alphabetical order please!
    • Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc whatever needs cleaning.
    • Do any toothbrushes/sponges etc need replacing?
    • HHI... a bit more gone!
    • Throw out/get rid of 3 things from every room in your house!!

Carry over from Wednesday - Master Bedroom and Landing
    Strip off smelly bedding and sling it in the wash, replace well before bedtime!
    Vacuum the mattress and air the duvet
    Find 10 things to get rid of!
    Make sure those smoke alarms are working!!! (DO NOT put this off as it was a life saver for me when we had our little kitchen fire!!!)
    Remove anything that should be elsewhere.. your bedroom is NOT a shed!!
    Remove some dust bunnies and wipe over the light shades
    15 minutes sort out of the landing gibble.. see if you can find something to rehome

Freaky Friday- those frightening kids rooms and spare rooms
    Level One…

Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
    Spend at least half an hour doing something for yourself!!!!! paint your nails, make an appointment to have your hair done, a lovely soak in the bath.. whatever you feel like!!
    Level Two…
    Vacuum the floor
    Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Don’t forget the light shade and curtain pole!!!
    Strip beds, turn and vacuum mattresses!! and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
    Level Three…
    Drag everything out from under the bed too.. there is floor under there!!
    Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
    Wipe the grotty patches of the walls and woodwork
    Wipe the radiators, skirtings and window & door frames!
    Extras
    • Wash a set of curtains, nets, duvet or throw
    • Sort through one box or toys.. if you have no children find a box of junk.. is there anything that needs to go?
    • End of week fling!! grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!
    • Clean out any pets!
    Last edited by Natty68; 08-06-2017 at 10:58 PM.

Debt free as of 3rd May 2012
    But still struggling financially
Page 4
    • anajames
    • By anajames 8th Jun 17, 2:09 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    anajames
    My new kitchen is coming on,but it's wearing washing up in the bathroom.I must go to the shops and buy food that can be cooked in the microwave.
    Thank you for the lists Natty and Valle.
    Originally posted by Busy granny
    There is always a great feeling for a woman getting a new kitchen. Congratulations. Happy cooking.
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 8th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    • 6,676 Posts
    • 84,808 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Hello

Usual Thursday night shenanigans. Having a pimms now.

I've achieved nothing today except loading the dishwasher...

Oh, the kids were washed after sports clubs. And fed. Several times.
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • Valli
    • By Valli 8th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 19,847 Posts
    • 225,691 Thanks
    Valli
    well...I have been appraised of plan A and plan B for September... there are similarities and differences!

Nothing done in house but have voted...
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debt to attack £6150.87 24/04/2017 £5584.11 22/06/2017
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 8th Jun 17, 11:24 PM
    • 35,812 Posts
    • 461,604 Thanks
    pigpen
    Jazee.. is she older than most other wooflets you've had done? Older doogies often take the trauma and the anaesthetic much harder than younger ones.

Mog has gifted Squeak ANOTHER dead rat.. that is 3 she has been hifted in 2 days.. she is still screaming.. traps ordered, just in case... even filthy vermin.. and they will not be 'humane' traps.. they will die.

Off to bed, I am shattered.. hopefully mine and many other sensible peoples dreams will come true .. and a fresh new outlook will be ahead of us tomorrow.. I can but hope. Prayers and wishes for all those who have healthcare needs and educators will be filled with positivity and hope.

nothing achieved.. but nighty nighty sleepy tighty.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 9th Jun 17, 6:14 AM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 33,778 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

Wide awake at 5am. Utility room floor washed, a load of washing in. Online banking checked and some money shuffled about.

So no clear winner in the election it seems, I am no expert in these things but it does not look like a good result for the country.. worrying times ahead.

Anyhow lots of paid stuff to plough through, flylady plans have gone to pot this week and the whole house needs dusting and hoovering really but I have stuck to the mealplan so that's good. Catch you all later x
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 9th Jun 17, 7:46 AM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 12,652 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all

Super quick visit as DDs friend arriving in a sec - her mum has asked if I can take her to school as she has had to go into work. Kids have had cereal but asking for toast - will sort after I have slurped this cuppa!

Out at paid stuff all day so limited flying. Fajitas for tea so nice and easy.

Have fab days all x
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 5.6.17 - £123,900
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Busy granny
    • By Busy granny 9th Jun 17, 8:02 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 1,850 Thanks
    Busy granny
    Thank you,I am going to succumb to instant meals,but my son is coming in on Sunday,so I'll cook smoked haddock in the microwave.In a funny way this is a diet!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 9th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 46,476 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all.

Yes Piggers, Poppet is twice the age the other dogs were as she came into season at the time of the original booking so we've had to wait. However, I'm glad to report that mid morning yesterday she started to eat some chicken, and although she slept the rest of the day, this morning she is much more lively.

So far today, I have done the dailies, put a washload on and done the ironing. About to look at the list before the paid stuff, I am loving doing temping jobs.

Have a great day everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20)June £50 Total £5050.26/£12000

• Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 9th Jun 17, 8:43 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning.
    Quick visit while I stuff a piece of toast down.
    Day off from paid stuff today to drive to big city for DD hospital appointment. I can hear stirrings so at least she is out of her pit at the allotted time.
    WM loaded for this afternoon, DH doing a long day at work, so dinner will be easy pasta tonight. I'm fed up at looking at the contents of the fridge so will have to get imaginative.
    Have good days all.
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 9th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 38,875 Thanks
    Mumof2
    Hi all, I'm still around just been busy working! I've upped the days I'm part loaning 'Huck' to 3 so between riding him, working, looking after DH and the kids I don't have a lot of spare time. Hope to be around more now work not so pressurised; will have to see how it goes. Good news is my MH has got soooooo much better; having a horse again is helping beyond belief. I've actually dropped one of my clients as she was the worst payer but the most demanding; feel much better for it. DH had interview last Thursday and hopefully we should hear about the end of next week so yet more waiting.

Hope everyone is OK; I haven't read posts, just jumped straight in here. Going to print off today's list and see what I can get done. WM going and do need to vacuum lounge as well as any other delights that may be on the list!!

• atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 9th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 12,652 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    That's great news Jazee xx
    Lovely to "see" you again Mumof2 xx

Home for a super quick lunch before heading back to paid stuff. DH is home this afternoon after 10 days working away so he can do the school and pre-school run

No doubt my WM will be on overtime when he gets back!

xx
    MFW
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 9th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 38,875 Thanks
    Mumof2
    ATB how did you get on with DH away for 10 days? I found once a few days went by I was fine and soon got used to it .... the troubles would come when he was back as I'd been used to coping with everything so it always took a few hours to readjust.

Took Whiz to vet (took 3 nurses to hold him down to do his nails!!) and just got back from a lovely walk with him in the fields. Started tidying out S's room - my gosh, what a tip. He's just like his Dad though and hoards everything so I really have my work cut out. If he finds I've got rid of anything he gets v upset so a real juggling job to get him sorted. Going to have lunch now and then back to it again if no more work comes in.

• Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 9th Jun 17, 2:09 PM
    • 4,327 Posts
    • 43,779 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I hope the kitchen comes together really quickly Busy Granny. Interesting that it's the small things (washing up) that take on major irritant status when it's awkward.

Piggers if the traps are quick snap ones, personally, I think that's very humane even though they're regarded as not. I hope you get rid of them really quickly.

Good to see you back Mumof2 and it's lovely, really lovely, to hear you're feeling much happier.

We were at the count until 5.00 am this morning. If anyone is interested in politics may I say that it is one of the most interesting, and can be, most exciting things to be a part of and well worth taking the time to attend. PM me if you'd like details of how to be a part of it.

Flying will be back on track tomorrow. The lodger will be going back to London so we've got the house to ourselves again for a week which is much needed, and I can get things back to a decent standard. Fortunately it was pretty good before the hiatus and I've managed to keep on top of it by tidying and vacuumming before things got totally out of control. Thank goodness for the Flylady Thread - it's been an absolute lifesaver for the past six weeks.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 09-06-2017 at 6:14 PM.
    Keeping it AF
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 9th Jun 17, 2:34 PM
    • 6,676 Posts
    • 84,808 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Ooo my new phone is up and running!

And all my settings and contacts transferred too!

Have whizzed round the house today, bit of tidying, vaccing, s&s ing and we're in good shape.

Not so later as with 4 kids in the house after school I'm expecting things to get rowdy haha

Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

• Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 9th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 38,875 Thanks
    Mumof2
    Bossy new phone - how nice! Good luck with 4 little ones later!!

HoneyBear my head's in an altogether different place and it's such a blessing! My Dad used to do the electoral thingy and he used to enjoy doing it. Glad everything is in order for you.

Piggers we've used the snap shut traps; they were good until one time it didn't work properly and that wasn't nice. Generally though had no bother with them.

Having a cuppa after doing S's room - it was grim, I won't lie. Got rid of a carrier bag full of carp, moved everything around and vacuumed. Problem is J (main hoarder) has a lot of his carp in the room which he hasn't moved for yonks which gathers dust and S (deputy hoarder) sees what his Dad is doing and the behaviour is becoming ingrained in S. Got old phone boxes in there, old magazines, files etc. I hate it as it's S's bedroom and he suffers from asthma but can't get J to budge. Hoping when he's working again his motivation will come back.

Sorry, didn't mean to whinge then. Hung out washing which is blowing away in the wind and about to put another load in. S is off to cricket tonight (please no rain!) and Z got Explorers so me and J will be taxi service as usual!!

• bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 9th Jun 17, 6:10 PM
    • 6,676 Posts
    • 84,808 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Just hiding in the garage with a coffee

Actually, they've been lovely, just a tad loud haha. They've played really nicely and eaten everything.

But I just need a slightly lower volume for 10min

The two 8 year olds are discussing politics haha, they are funny, getting names mixed up and one suggesting we have a year off from prime ministers and just use the queen he might have a point!

Kitchen cleaned up after dinner but there are toy cars all over the LR floor and heaven knows what DD room will be like...
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

• YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 9th Jun 17, 9:54 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 33,778 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all, are you still in there Bossy?

Rubbish week, teenagers are stressing me out, work has been manic. Thank goodness its the weekend! Oh and I have been for an eye test and contact lens check and my right eye is really sore, what's all that about?

Have hoovered, tidied and swished through. Washing dried and (mostly) put away. Feet up now, wont be long before bed.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Jun 17, 7:12 AM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 46,476 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Hope you're all ok.

It's pouring with rain here so no gardening today, possibly tomorrow now.

Today I must:
    Take Poppet to the vet for her 3 day check.
    Go to H0me b@rgains and get toiletries and sweets.

And as I'm stuck with indoor jobs I need to tackle a paperwork mountain. Will need to do this in MAD half hours or it will drive me MAD.

Have a great day everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20)June £50 Total £5050.26/£12000

• atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 10th Jun 17, 7:23 AM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 12,652 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning All

It is persisting it down here, so TD will be going on shortly with the washing that is in. I have 6 hours paid stuff today so DH and the kiddies are in charge of domestics

Mumof2 - thanks for asking, I quickly get used to him being away. Since he set up his business 6 years ago he has been away regularly, the first trip being when DD was 3 days old for a week! So although I miss him, we manage fine

Cheeky Indian takeaway tonight, really looking forward to it. DH working all day tomorrow so kiddies and I will do the Aldi trip then.

Jazee - let us know how Poppet gets on x
    YL - Have a big hug love, I hope you get some rest this weekend and the boys stop stressing you out xx
    I hope Biscuitmonster is ok, miss her posts xx

Right bacon buttie time then must get myself presentable and out of the house. Given how puffy my eyes look, that the gods for good mascara!

xx
    MFW
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 10th Jun 17, 8:03 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 13,008 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    I saw a mouse yesterday. It ran across my study as I was on the phone to my legal advice team. My ex-boss is threatening me if I don't go back and work my notice and sort out the mess.

The mouse was just the last straw. Traps duly bought. Obviously I don't have intelligent mice up here. This morning it is an ex-mouse. It seems to have been a clean kill.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/6/17 £1226.18/£3,000, 40.88/41.37% of the year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,352Users online

Martin's Twitter