Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Luckbealadytonight
    • By Luckbealadytonight 4th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Luckbealadytonight
    Ex still uses my address to advertise his business online.
    • 4th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    Ex still uses my address to advertise his business online. 4th Jun 17 at 9:51 PM
    Hi.

I have found my address linked to his work adverts online and can't seem to remove it. I jave emailed the websites but it is still there. Any ideas of wjat I can do?
Page 1
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 4th Jun 17, 9:55 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 1,387 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    • 4th Jun 17, 9:55 PM
    • 4th Jun 17, 9:55 PM
    If anyone trys to contact the business via your address respond that the business has moved & you've no forwarding address.

There is lots of out of date info out there. If he's doing it deliberately as soon as he realises he's lost business because of it he'll stop.

Jen
    • maman
    • By maman 4th Jun 17, 10:09 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    • 4th Jun 17, 10:09 PM
    • 4th Jun 17, 10:09 PM
    Could you email him (or the business) and tell him to change his website?
    • Luckbealadytonight
    • By Luckbealadytonight 5th Jun 17, 6:12 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Luckbealadytonight
    • 5th Jun 17, 6:12 AM
    • 5th Jun 17, 6:12 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have asked him, (his business isn't a big one, He's a self employed roofer). He still hasn't acted upon it at all The trouble is I've had people knocking in the door and sending letters to me because he owes them money. I've managed to sent them away and stop some of the letters but I just don't need this hassle on my doorstep because I have young children to look after.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 5th Jun 17, 6:24 AM
    • 11,027 Posts
    • 6,270 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 5th Jun 17, 6:24 AM
    • 5th Jun 17, 6:24 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have asked him, (his business isn't a big one, He's a self employed roofer). He still hasn't acted upon it at all The trouble is I've had people knocking in the door and sending letters to me because he owes them money. I've managed to sent them away and stop some of the letters but I just don't need this hassle on my doorstep because I have young children to look after.
    Originally posted by Luckbealadytonight
    All well and good, however, have these incidients only occured since he became your ex?
    I couldn't believe that they didn't occur prior to that, SE flyers usually are printed.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 5th Jun 17, 10:05 AM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 5th Jun 17, 10:05 AM
    • 5th Jun 17, 10:05 AM
    Put up a quick note saying X Roofing is no longer at this address.

I mean it's not that much hassle to open the door and say - no that business is not based here, goodbye
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 5th Jun 17, 10:15 AM
    • 7,755 Posts
    • 7,844 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 5th Jun 17, 10:15 AM
    • 5th Jun 17, 10:15 AM
    Any letters - Simply put them back in the postbox unopened with No longer at this address clearly written on them.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 5th Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    • 7,152 Posts
    • 8,806 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 5th Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    • 5th Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    Ask him nicely.
    Ask him firmly.
    Shout at him.
    Scream at him.
    Send him a threatening letter.
    Send him a solicitors letter.
    Get a court order against him.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 5th Jun 17, 11:35 AM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 5th Jun 17, 11:35 AM
    • 5th Jun 17, 11:35 AM
    Ask him nicely. - great
    Ask him firmly. - ok
    Shout at him. - dont
    Scream at him. - face a harassment charge
    Send him a threatening letter. - best not to
    Send him a solicitors letter. - waste of money
    Get a court order against him. for what?
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters

Not sure how serious your post is...
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 5th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 6,026 Posts
    • 7,772 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Do you have a forwarding address or contact details for him? If so, start providing these.
    It is some hassle, but if you get someone show up, saying to them "Neither [his name] nor [business name] have been at this address since [date] but to the best of my knowledge he is at [his address], his phone number is [number] and email is [email] means that they are far more likely to leave and not return. If you are getting phonecall then record an outgoing message saying something like "If you are trying to reach business/ ex's name, you have a wrong number, the correct number and address are *****"

For letters, mark them 'return to sender - not at this address' You are perfectly entitled to open them in order to get information to get them to the correct place, so opening a letter to get a phone number or the sender, so you can ring them and given them his current contact details would be fine, but you are not under any obligation to do that.
    Unless you countersigned anything for the business, or your house in in joint names, then you are not liable to anyone and are not obliged to let anyone in.

Bear in mind that it is common for debtors to claim to have moved, so if there are debt collectors looking for him they will be sceptical - you may find it is useful to keep a print-off with his new details which you can hand to them, and perhaps something such as a photocopy of your council tax bill showing your single person's discount, or your tenancy agreement in your sole name, so you can show that you are telling the truth when you tell them he doesn't live there.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Jun 17, 11:27 AM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 20,229 Thanks
    Slinky
    I'd put up a note outside with his new address and contact details on for people to see for themselves. If he's got people chasing him for money, it's not in his interest to update his website is it?!

As for post, I'd make sure that got redirected on to him also, takes no longer to scribble it on the envelope than chuck in the box with RTS on it.

If he owes money, he should pay it.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 6th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    chesky
    Be very careful if you are receiving any kind of benefits. Both the DWP and HMRC are very sharp on whether ex husbands have actually moved out if their previous address still appears on business papers or bank accounts. It can take ages to sort out as they don't always believe wives who say 'he moved out ages ago'. They have to prove it.
    • Luckbealadytonight
    • By Luckbealadytonight 12th Jun 17, 11:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Luckbealadytonight
    Not sure how serious your post is...
    Originally posted by Guest101
    What do you mean by that please? Is it you are Not sure this is a big issue or that you think I would make it up?
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Jun 17, 1:36 AM
    • 7,152 Posts
    • 8,806 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    What do you mean by that please? Is it you are Not sure this is a big issue or that you think I would make it up?
    Originally posted by Luckbealadytonight
    It was a reply to my response, not a reply to your question.
    • tealady
    • By tealady 13th Jun 17, 5:52 AM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 3,208 Thanks
    tealady
    If your ex is not responding to a polite request can you post on his website to say he does not trade from your address (or on his FB page if he has one). That would be honest, factual and alert potential customers.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    If your ex is not responding to a polite request can you post on his website to say he does not trade from your address (or on his FB page if he has one). That would be honest, factual and alert potential customers.
    Originally posted by tealady

You could, but he'd just delete it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin