Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • portoman
    • By portoman 4th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    portoman
    Student Loan Payment Mistake. How can I claim back money paid to a student loan?
    • 4th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    Student Loan Payment Mistake. How can I claim back money paid to a student loan? 4th Jun 17 at 12:48 PM
    Hi

I got my loans in 1993 and I am paying my loans back direct to Erudio (one of the organisations that bought some of the loans), so I any money is not taken from any salary I have. However, my new employer has made a mistake and ignored or just not checked my employment form, and so £150 has also been debited for a student loan. So basically this month, I paid the money myself and they have also, mistakenly, received money from my salary. So money has been paid twice.

Initially I telephoned Erudio who said they haven't asked for the money to be paid to them (well no, the money has been debited due to payroll mistake), and the payroll dept where I work said they cannot claim the money back.

So what can I do - can I get the money back ? Will the student loan company (how many are there??), have a record of them receiving the extra money ? Would this be Erudio ? Does it go direct to the HRMC??

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 5th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    • 3,947 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 5th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    • 5th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    The money is paid to HMRC. You need to contact them.
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 11th Jun 17, 7:40 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:40 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:40 PM
    ...and make sure your payroll department uncheck the student loans box in time for next month's pay run!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

373Posts Today

1,928Users online

Martin's Twitter