Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Snowbelle
    • By Snowbelle 3rd Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    • 317Posts
    • 91Thanks
    Snowbelle
    Positive feedback then buyer asks for refund
    • 3rd Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    Positive feedback then buyer asks for refund 3rd Jun 17 at 11:42 AM
    I've had a buyer left me positive feedback for an item then an week later has sent a message saying it was not as described and can I refund them and that they will return the item if I provide a pre-paid label. Do I just ask them to open a case with ebay and accept the return then refund?
Page 2
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Jun 17, 12:50 PM
    • 11,058 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Just to clarify a few bits here.

I'm not sure if all sellers are able to do this, but if you are, then ask them to open a return SNAD rather than a standard SNAD case.

All they need to do is click "I would like to return my item" in their purchase history, and that will open up the return.

If they enter the reason as SNAD you will be asked to pay for the return if you accept it.
    Originally posted by ontheup1972
    If a SNAD is opened, the seller will in effect have little option but to accept the return. If they don't the buyer can escalate and it is almost entirely ruled in the buyer's favour.

Once you accept, ebay will send the buyer a tracked return label to the buyer to print out. This will cost you £2.99 which will be paid in your next monthly invoice. You will not get a defect for this,
    Ebay will give the seller an option to use the eBay label or to use their own. It is almost ALWAYS better to use your own label as you retain control over an item being lost/damaged in transit. If the seller has sold an item which doesn't have the weight/dimensions in the listing, eBay may make their own assumption about which service is relative to the return. The prices start at £2.99. That said, if the seller choses to use an eBay label, all of the prices and services are shown when go through to decide on the label choices.

If the buyer claims that they do not have a printer, you would have to find another way of getting a label to them - but you wouldn't be charged £2.99 from ebay if the buyer has not printed their label out.
    If you use an eBay label, the seller isn't charged unless the label is used. If it is printed and not used, the seller isn't charged.
    • ontheup1972
    • By ontheup1972 4th Jun 17, 1:41 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    ontheup1972
    One of the things you "corrected" I'm not getting - for example sending a label yourself gives more control than through ebay in the event of a lost or damaged parcel? How so, can you expand on that?

I find it easier just to deal with return cases and get ebay to send the label, it's a simple process. You can't select that through an ordinary SNAD case and that's why I advised the return route because some people will want the easiest option.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    • 11,058 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    One of the things you "corrected" I'm not getting - for example sending a label yourself gives more control than through ebay in the event of a lost or damaged parcel? How so, can you expand on that?
    I didn't "correct" I tried to clarify what you had written! If you contract the carrier, you are in control of making the claim. If you contract ebay to contract the carrier, they are in the ones who will have to reimburse you should the carrier lose/damage the parcel. From experience, that isn't easy. We don't use ebay's returns labels now. There are many examples on the ebay boards, it's like hitting your head against a brick wall with them sometimes!

I find it easier just to deal with return cases and get ebay to send the label, it's a simple process.
    The process is very simple if you buy a Hermes label. Address it to yourself, pay for it and then upload it. If the buyer doesn't ever use it Hermes will cancel. I say Hermes, but there are many other carriers or agents who will do the same.

You can't select that through an ordinary SNAD case and that's why I advised the return route because some people will want the easiest option.
    Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "that". What can't you select?
    • ontheup1972
    • By ontheup1972 4th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    ontheup1972
    You can't select that ebay send a label through a SNAD can you?

To be fair it's been a while since I've had to deal with a SNAD case, I rarely have to deal with returns.
    • ontheup1972
    • By ontheup1972 4th Jun 17, 1:57 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    ontheup1972
    Also, I didn't know you could do returns through Hermes by addressing a label to yourself. It does sound easy but so is clicking a button to send an ebay label.

I've never used Hermes because everything I send (apart from the occasional UPS parcel) goes through DMO.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 11,058 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    You can't select that ebay send a label through a SNAD can you?

To be fair it's been a while since I've had to deal with a SNAD case, I rarely have to deal with returns.
    As a seller, if I get a SNAD I get the option to refund without return, send a label, use the ebay label or ignore the case.

If I opt for the ebay label, I get the choice, usually of 2-3 services, RM, Collect Plus or Hermes.
    • Snowbelle
    • By Snowbelle 4th Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Snowbelle
    I'm not sure if all sellers are able to do this, but if you are, then ask them to open a return SNAD rather than a standard SNAD case.

All they need to do is click "I would like to return my item" in their purchase history, and that will open up the return.

If they enter the reason as SNAD you will be asked to pay for the return if you accept it.

Once you accept, ebay will send the buyer a tracked return label to the buyer to print out. This will cost you £2.99 which will be paid in your next monthly invoice. You will not get a defect for this,

If the buyer claims that they do not have a printer, you would have to find another way of getting a label to them - but you wouldn't be charged £2.99 from ebay if the buyer has not printed their label out.
    They've now opened a "return request" and I have 4 options the first being accept the return and:
    "You pay for postage and can send our return label or your own. Wait to get the item back before you refund the buyer."
    I didnt realise there were different SNAD they could open.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    • 11,058 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Also, I didn't know you could do returns through Hermes by addressing a label to yourself. It does sound easy but so is clicking a button to send an ebay label.

I've never used Hermes because everything I send (apart from the occasional UPS parcel) goes through DMO.
    You can do a returns label for any of the carriers. It's just a case of it being in reverse and the buyer using it instead of you.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 11,058 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    They've now opened a "return request" and I have 4 options the first being accept the return and:
    "You pay for postage and can send our return label or your own. Wait to get the item back before you refund the buyer."
    I didnt realise there were different SNAD they could open.
    Originally posted by Snowbelle
    As they've opened a case you need to decide what you want to do.

They are the standard 4 options.

What is the weight/size of the item? It will almost certainly be cheaper for you to print a label through Parcel2go or Hermes themselves than use the label eBay supply. The minimum charge eBay make is £2.99 but it depends on the size etc.
    • Snowbelle
    • By Snowbelle 4th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Snowbelle
    You can do a returns label for any of the carriers. It's just a case of it being in reverse and the buyer using it instead of you.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    OK thanks.
    • Snowbelle
    • By Snowbelle 4th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Snowbelle
    As they've opened a case you need to decide what you want to do.

They are the standard 4 options.

What is the weight/size of the item? It will almost certainly be cheaper for you to print a label through Parcel2go or Hermes themselves than use the label eBay supply. The minimum charge eBay make is £2.99 but it depends on the size etc.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Its small so will be £2.79 with Hermes so will send them this label.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Jun 17, 2:26 PM
    • 11,058 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Its small so will be £2.79 with Hermes so will send them this label.
    Yes, save yourself a bit of money on the lowest ebay label and you get control over the carrier should it be lost/damaged.

Just log into your Hermes account or register one, send the label to yourself and when it's paid you can take a screenshot and upload it to the ebay case along with the tracking number. Then accept the return.

You can also put the buyer's post code into the parcelshop finder to let them know the nearest access point for them.
    • Snowbelle
    • By Snowbelle 9th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Snowbelle
    Have now received item back only the buyer sent it via RM and didnt use the Hermes label I sent them.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jun 17, 3:07 PM
    • 11,058 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Have now received item back only the buyer sent it via RM and didnt use the Hermes label I sent them.
    You can contact Hermes and they will cancel and refund your label, usually takes a few days. You can send the RM postage fee back to them via Paypal.
    • Snowbelle
    • By Snowbelle 9th Jun 17, 6:33 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Snowbelle
    Thanks for everyone's help on this - refund now sorted and fees credited back to my account.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jun 17, 7:59 PM
    • 11,058 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Excellent. Love it when it all sorts itself out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,524Posts Today

7,543Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin