Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dagsky
    • By dagsky 2nd Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    • 81Posts
    • 16Thanks
    dagsky
    Breakdown cover - Auto Aid or Start Rescue Or AA
    • 2nd Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    Breakdown cover - Auto Aid or Start Rescue Or AA 2nd Jun 17 at 8:20 PM
    Hi all. I'm looking at getting breakdown cover but i'm confused which company to go for. I've had a look at Auto Aid, Start Rescue, AA, RAC but still can't make my mind up as all the information i would like is not clear & precise on the relevant websites, i did try to call Auto Aid for clarification but sadly the person didn't understand what i was asking or they were just more interested in signing me up!

I would like breakdown cover that covers me at home, if i am away from home i would like the choice of being taken back home or my destination or a garage of my choice. I'm not sure if Autoaid or Start Rescue attempt fixing cars as the AA or RAC and that's something i would like.

Start Rescue seems to imply that they'll only go 10 miles from where i breakdown, but further reading says if my car can't be fixed by a garage in a day then they'll pay £100 towards where i want to go, but i'd be stuck in shetlands for the day! With the AA i get stuck, can't fix it, where do you want to go, that's what i would like.

Things like stuck/broken key, wrong fuel would be nice to have covered as well.

And one last thing i can't figure out, Start Rescue ( 3 Star) is ~£29/yr AutoAid is ~£43/yr & from my reading they're both offering the same thing, start rescue does say 6 call outs a yr but nothing mentioned in the wording of autoaid.
    Last edited by dagsky; 02-06-2017 at 8:45 PM.
Page 2
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    Eh???? The they do a good money saving deal for spouses, but are still competitive for unmarried singles

What have they done to upset you?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 2:32 PM
    • 15,096 Posts
    • 13,415 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Eh???? The they do a good money saving deal for spouses, but are still competitive for unmarried singles

What have they done to upset you?
    Originally posted by Quentin
    They do not cover an unmarried couple under one membership - we would need to have two single policies, at twice the price. We've been together for over 20 years, but have simply never felt the need to get a piece of paper to prove anything about our relationship.

GEM are quite happy with that, as are virtually every other provider.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Jul 17, 2:50 PM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    Most other providers charge more for s joint policy.

Autoaid do it for free but just for spouses.

As you are unmarried then you don't qualify. Most marrieds might agree it's not worth getting married for!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 15,096 Posts
    • 13,415 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Most other providers charge more for s joint policy.
    That's fine. I'm happy with paying a bit more for joint cover than single. But not twice as much. That's silly.

Especially when...
    Autoaid do it for free but just for spouses.

As you are unmarried then you don't qualify.
    ...and that, right there, is my point about 19th century attitudes.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    It's like oaps complaining because their single pensioner neighbour gets £200 winter fuel allowance but they only get £100 each just because there are 2 of em.

It's so unfair!!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 3:21 PM
    • 15,096 Posts
    • 13,415 Thanks
    AdrianC
    It's like oaps complaining because their single pensioner neighbour gets £200 winter fuel allowance but they only get £100 each just because there are 2 of em.

It's so unfair!!
    No, not at all.

Autoaid's pricing is
    Single - £x
    Couple A - £x
    Couple B - £2x

I've already said I'm quite happy for...
    Single - £x
    Couple A - £y
    Couple B - £y
    (where x < y < 2x)
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    They don't do deals for couples.

They do a special offer for spouses otherwise everyone is charged if they want to take out their cover.

If you don't like the price don't buy. They are allowed to do deals for certain applicants Its business!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 3:35 PM
    • 15,096 Posts
    • 13,415 Thanks
    AdrianC
    They don't do deals for couples.

They do a special offer for spouses
    Congratulations. You've understood my complaint.

Spouses are couples. Not all couples are spouses. The marital status of a couple is completely irrelevant to the arrangements they choose to make for their vehicle breakdown recovery - as other providers recognise.

otherwise everyone is charged if they want to take out their cover.
    Yet some couples are charged twice as much for the same product as other couples, for no justifiable reason whatsoever.

If you don't like the price don't buy.
    Which is precisely the attitude I took.

They are allowed to do deals.
    Yes, they are - just as I am allowed to point out their outdated attitude to relationships.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 9th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 14,766 Posts
    • 126,148 Thanks
    zagubov
    I use autoaid. I'm married so it's an even better deal, but if I wasn't I'd still use them. They've unofficially ditched the pay-and-reclaim stuff.

I don't know what it's like in all the rest of the UK but here in London most single people have flatmates or housemates, and I think all they're doing is stopping people including friends/tenants/lodgers/housemates etc. for free (although I've got to say if anybody would try to cheat on a deal this cheap, they should go and get a life).

AFAIK, they rely on your honesty; they never asked for a marriage certificate (I'm not suggesting anyone should cheat on an insurance company)
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    I use autoaid. ..... They've unofficially ditched the pay-and-reclaim stuff.......
    Originally posted by zagubov
    No.

It's official.

From the Autoaid website:

Important changes to your AutoAid policy
    With immediate effect you are no longer required to pay for the breakdown assistance services provided by this policy and then reclaim them from AutoAid.
    If you require breakdown assistance please call our 24 hour helpline on 0800 328 4439 or 01277 720700. AutoAid will deal directly with the recovery agent regarding any costs and you will not be required to pay the recovery agent at the roadside.
    The procedure described on Page 8 of your Policy Booklet (Claims Procedure) no longer applies to breakdown assistance services.
    Last edited by Quentin; 09-07-2017 at 8:48 PM.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 9th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    When the car stopped april 2016 and had to be ferried home they didn't charge me.
    • SlinkySalamander
    • By SlinkySalamander 29th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SlinkySalamander
    Just copied this from their website....

How does AutoAid breakdown cover work?
    If you experience a breakdown, just call our AutoAid helpline and we will arrange for the emergency roadside assistance.

AutoAid’s breakdown cover is personal based, which means you and your legal spouse or civil partner will be covered in any eligible vehicle you are driving at the time of the breakdown.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,183Posts Today

8,221Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin