Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DFB35
    • By DFB35 2nd Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 367Posts
    • 704Thanks
    DFB35
    Keeping track of my mortgage - turning a new leaf
    • 2nd Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    Keeping track of my mortgage - turning a new leaf 2nd Jun 17 at 1:56 PM
    Hello

I want to start a fresh new diary to keep track of my mortgage and general everyday finances. And also to keep track of myself as I seem to be a bit all over the place mentally and when i used to keep a DFW diary in the past it really helped!

I will start with some figures:

Mortgage is £249,072 as at April (figures from noodle)
    Remaining term 34 years 3 months - we are 9 months into the 2 year fix

We are also planning two family holidays which we need to save up for but the long term plan is to focus on overpaying and reducing the mortgage term. We still have some money to return to the mortgage which we took out for an extension which did not go ahead (can give back 10% a year, so its currently sitting in premier bonds). Once all the money have been returned and the 2 year fix has ended we will rethink the mortgage term as well.

I want to go back to being completely frugal as we were when we were hammering down the debts, and any left over money at the end of the month is to be split between holiday pot and the mortgage pot.

Im currently build up the annual bills/car/emergency pot as well.

What we have so far:
    Holiday pot - £2,000
    Annual bills/ Car/ Emergency pot - £500
    Mortgage money pot - 0

Dont expect this diary to be exciting but if you want to follow my progress and see how I get on feel free and welcome aboard!
Page 1
    • DFB35
    • By DFB35 2nd Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    DFB35
    • 2nd Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • 2nd Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    Right Im going to set myself a few tasks to get me started:

1. Starting from Monday, I will bring my own coffee/ breakfast to work as got into the habit of buying a pastry/ coffee every morning which adds up! Im going shopping tonight (but husbands turn to pay yay ) so will pick up the cappuccino coffee sachets and maybe cereal bars enough for the week, all from Aldi. Will let you know how that goes next week. It sounds very simple but its part psycological as I really look forward to fresh pastry each morning and it almost motivates me to get out of bed (dramatic i know!) as it feels like a treat.. but I cant justify this cost everyday and what Ive learned from DFW is that every small step counts.

2. I will start decluttering the house again, I quite fancy trying Marie Kondo method but dont want to buy the book, so will make it up as I go along haha.

3. This weekend Im out which has been arranged for ages, a bit nervous about it due to some social anxiety and also dont want to spend lots. But I am going and will try to enjoy, I dont have a budget as such but the less I spend the better obviously...

4. After my night out, i will see how much I have left in my account and will make a budget for the rest of the month!

5. Starting next month I really need to sort out my travelcard, as currently paying daily with contactless.

Speak soon
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 2nd Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 5,436 Thanks
    themadvix
    • 2nd Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    • 2nd Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    It sounds like you've got a great plan there DFB, and it's good to have the holidays in there too - remember it's a marathon not a sprint! (If you really really miss the pastries, maybe you could allow yourself one once a month? You need to build some treats in otherwise you'll become disillusioned.)

Good luck!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Thisgirlcan
    • By Thisgirlcan 2nd Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Thisgirlcan
    • 2nd Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 2nd Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    Hi!
    I'd definitely have a pastry in there every now and then - whilst being frugal is good sometimes you don't want it to be completely joyless.

I'd highly recommend the KM method of decluttering, as such. You will make extra pennies selling things you find don't actually bring you joy! Can you get the book from the library?

Our mortgage is a similar amount to yours so I'm looking forward to following your journey
    • DFB35
    • By DFB35 2nd Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    DFB35
    • 2nd Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    • 2nd Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    I have visitors wooohoo and hello

I just re read my post and realised how pathetic and sad I sounded about the pastries..... But it's the little things... Basically it's part of a bigger problem/ issues with depression and anxiety, which my work is a huge part of. I'm slowly working through it all and it was another reason why I wanted to re start a diary! To try and keep myself positive and motivated. There is no solution but to continue in my current role for as long as I can, as for various reasons I won't be able to get another job with the same pay and benefits, so to make myself better I got into habits of treating myself. It used to be a 3pm chocolate/ drink from the shop to escape work for 5 mins and now is the fresh pastries ... BUT

I am taking control, and it's better for my weight too! I read somewhere that you shouldn't "treat" yourself with food like you are a dog. It sounds horrible, I know, i can't actually remember where I read this?! Might have been a dieting book.

Anyway I stopped the 3pm snacks ages ago, and have lost a lot of weight as well, which has crept up on me overtime. It was all part of the same journey, getting rid of debt and the extra weight, I have been doing calorie counting through my fitness pal since last November and have lost over 2 stone and I'm still recording to maintain it basically

Enough rambling..

Small achievements this evening - I have said no to a takeaway = money saved and better for weight. And I have got the coffee and cereal bars for my breakfast next week all in all for less than what it usually costs me for one day!

I'm feeling very positive at the moment
    Last edited by DFB35; 02-06-2017 at 9:31 PM.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 2nd Jun 17, 9:40 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 8,082 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    • 2nd Jun 17, 9:40 PM
    • 2nd Jun 17, 9:40 PM
    Good on you for harnessing that positivity!

I also resisted the siren call of the Chinese takeaway that Ive been fancying. Feels good to have eaten at home instead and I now don't feel so bad that I'm having a homemade dessert as I've got the cals left

Well done on Your weight loss- that's truly fantastic!

Have a lovely weekend DFB35
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £1914.25/ £2150. 89%
    Last 3 months- Jul £172.36 Aug: £212.52 Sep £161.63

Emergency fund £3725]/£6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 3rd Jun 17, 7:25 AM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 4,793 Thanks
    bexster1975
    • 3rd Jun 17, 7:25 AM
    • 3rd Jun 17, 7:25 AM
    Hello DFB35 and welcome.

Very good luck on your journey. I would echo what others have said about treats occasionally. I do agree however with your idea of avoiding using food as a treat.

Could I just say re: the job. I don't know how bad it really is for you, but my previous job made me so ill I ended up with a disability which is still medically treated. I was off sick for almost a year ( although that was mostly awaiting treatment). I should say that this is a physical disability, believed to be brought on by chronic severe stress. I returned for 12 months, then got another job. It actually pays better but that wasn't the plan. More importantly it's a much better job in a much better environment. The only good thing about my previous job is that it motivated me to want to be mortgage free. What I'm trying to say is, if the job is that bad, explore all the options to get out.

Bexster
    • Miss D Meanour
    • By Miss D Meanour 3rd Jun 17, 8:25 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    Miss D Meanour
    • 3rd Jun 17, 8:25 AM
    • 3rd Jun 17, 8:25 AM
    Hi DFB35

Popping in to wish you all the best with your plans and your diary.

I look forward to a hot chocolate every morning. I used to pick one up one the way into work, then I moved to Options. But I never found a breakfast that worked. I've now replaced Options and the mishmash of breakfasts with a chocolate flavoured protein shake (obviously hot water added not cold). Finally chocolate and breakfast all in one cheap, easy to do, still feels like a treat, bundle. So I know you will also find the perfect alternative to your morning pastries.

Definitely try the KonMarie method. I watched quite a few people on YouTube tracking their progress through the method and their homes before I gave it a shot. I love the concept of deciding on what to keep based on what makes you happy. I opted for reading the second book Spark Joy, mainly because it had simple diagrams and I often need to see something before it makes sense. There is also a KonMarie uk Facebook group and a KonMarie thread on MSE as well. So lots of support available close to hand.

Major congratulations on the weight loss to date. WOW! Sometimes it is easy to forget how much we've already achieved and I wanted to say you have already achieved so much.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how things go for you.

Take care
    MissDM
    LBM- June 2009 - 15 year plan started, Dec 2016 - half way there
    SPC - 10. #574. .......... How much will you spend 2017? #9
    Xmas 2017 - #40: £243 / £365. .......... CCCC 2017 - #9: £57 / £150
    PAYDBX 2017 #23: £5,868.85 / £8,100. .......... MFW2017 - #2: £5,198.29 / £7,000
    No matter how far you go, you always take yourself with you
    • DFB35
    • By DFB35 4th Jun 17, 9:02 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    DFB35
    • 4th Jun 17, 9:02 AM
    • 4th Jun 17, 9:02 AM
    Hi everyone, thank you for popping in and reading my diary

I'm up early after my night out, quite shaken and angry after reading the news now obviously I was only out locally yesterday so didn't even realise what was going on in London.

But it was nice catching up, and I really enjoyed myself. Also didn't have any anxiety at all and was able to join in conversations and felt heard etc.. Which is very positive.

On the money front I spent 10 on taxi, 25 at the meal and another 20 on cocktails so quite an expensive night really...

So the remaining money for the month is now 879, out of this I need to pay for travel (I pay daily by contactless, stopped getting an annual season ticket from work as hedging my bets in case work really gets to me and I have to quit). In some ways I like paying as I go as when I work from home/ holidays etc I don't have to pay. But it is more expensive than a monthly travel card so I need to re think that the only thing I cannot find my old oyster!!

So travel for the rest of the month - £8.60 a day = £163.40 woah so yeah def more expensive! As the monthly travel card is 158.30! Right I need to stop making excuses and find that blimming oyster (otherwise 5 for new one)

I also need to do two family shops, say 70 each and maybe couple of top ups, so let's say 160 approx.

Then I have a car payment of 166 and I have a credit card with 300 on it so will need to pay toward that. I haven't decided how much yet, tempted to just clear it and then start afresh next month!

Total is 790 if I clear the card or 490 of essential outgoings and then whatever I decide to pay towards the card. This leaves me between 89 and 389.... Ok just decided to halve the card.

Summary
    - 164 travel (or cheaper once I sort oyster)
    - 160 food (might be cheaper this is max allowed)
    -166 car payment (those who followed my dfw journey will be but yeah we just paid off family car and I took another car, the reasoning behind is that once we pay this car off we will be sorted on the car front for 10 years plus hopefully. And my daughter will be driving soon so we did need a second car).
    -150 to half the credit card bill (another oops as took the eye of the ball, but I will clear this in no time and will be back on track)

Leaving 239 - half will go to holiday savings and half to the new mortgage overpayment pot.

We also won 50 on premium bonds so I will put that in emergency pot.

Now I have a plan, let's see how my budget really plans out over the month!
    • DFB35
    • By DFB35 4th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    DFB35
    Hi DFB35

Popping in to wish you all the best with your plans and your diary.

I look forward to a hot chocolate every morning. I used to pick one up one the way into work, then I moved to Options. But I never found a breakfast that worked. I've now replaced Options and the mishmash of breakfasts with a chocolate flavoured protein shake (obviously hot water added not cold). Finally chocolate and breakfast all in one cheap, easy to do, still feels like a treat, bundle. So I know you will also find the perfect alternative to your morning pastries.

Definitely try the KonMarie method. I watched quite a few people on YouTube tracking their progress through the method and their homes before I gave it a shot. I love the concept of deciding on what to keep based on what makes you happy. I opted for reading the second book Spark Joy, mainly because it had simple diagrams and I often need to see something before it makes sense. There is also a KonMarie uk Facebook group and a KonMarie thread on MSE as well. So lots of support available close to hand.

Major congratulations on the weight loss to date. WOW! Sometimes it is easy to forget how much we've already achieved and I wanted to say you have already achieved so much.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how things go for you.

Take care
    MissDM
    Originally posted by Miss D Meanour
    Thank you for your message Miss DM, I will check out YouTube and Facebook and start decluterring! I also love the idea of sparking joy!
    • DFB35
    • By DFB35 4th Jun 17, 9:15 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    DFB35
    Hello DFB35 and welcome.

Very good luck on your journey. I would echo what others have said about treats occasionally. I do agree however with your idea of avoiding using food as a treat.

Could I just say re: the job. I don't know how bad it really is for you, but my previous job made me so ill I ended up with a disability which is still medically treated. I was off sick for almost a year ( although that was mostly awaiting treatment). I should say that this is a physical disability, believed to be brought on by chronic severe stress. I returned for 12 months, then got another job. It actually pays better but that wasn't the plan. More importantly it's a much better job in a much better environment. The only good thing about my previous job is that it motivated me to want to be mortgage free. What I'm trying to say is, if the job is that bad, explore all the options to get out.

Bexster
    Originally posted by bexster1975
    Thank you for your message Bexster, sorry to hear your job made you ill! But so good you found another and even better one, this gives me hope!

One reason why I think my current job is the top for me is whenever I job search, which is quite often, jobs with my skill, seem to be paying a lot less! And I know a few people who left they did have to take a significant pay cut.

It sounds really crazy, but I got very lucky as due to length of service really moved up the pay scale but unfortunately don't have qualifications etc. And I have fantastic pension package, which the company actually regretting as every time someone changes their hours etc they get a new contract with much less % contributions (as all new people get about half what the longer serving staff do!). And they not replacing people that leave.. I recon they want us gone to then hire graduates on lower pay/ fewer benefits.

I'm trying to hold on for as long as I can (actually hoping for redundancy which be great for me due to the length of service), but if things get much worse and I just can't cope, I will have to rethink and just take the massive pay cut.... Health is much more important you are right!
    • DFB35
    • By DFB35 4th Jun 17, 9:18 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    DFB35
    Good on you for harnessing that positivity!

I also resisted the siren call of the Chinese takeaway that Ive been fancying. Feels good to have eaten at home instead and I now don't feel so bad that I'm having a homemade dessert as I've got the cals left

Well done on Your weight loss- that's truly fantastic!

Have a lovely weekend DFB35
    Originally posted by Kittenkirst
    Hope you having a good weekend too! Thank you for your encouragement and well done resisting that takeaway
    • DFB35
    • By DFB35 4th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    DFB35
    Hi!
    I'd definitely have a pastry in there every now and then - whilst being frugal is good sometimes you don't want it to be completely joyless.

I'd highly recommend the KM method of decluttering, as such. You will make extra pennies selling things you find don't actually bring you joy! Can you get the book from the library?

Our mortgage is a similar amount to yours so I'm looking forward to following your journey
    Originally posted by Thisgirlcan
    I will check out your diary too Thisgirlcan it is scary amount but we can do it!
    • DFB35
    • By DFB35 4th Jun 17, 9:23 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    DFB35
    It sounds like you've got a great plan there DFB, and it's good to have the holidays in there too - remember it's a marathon not a sprint! (If you really really miss the pastries, maybe you could allow yourself one once a month? You need to build some treats in otherwise you'll become disillusioned.)

Good luck!
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Thank you for your message madvix, you are definitely right we should still enjoy our lives otherwise there's a danger of miserable existence to pay off the mortgage and then being too old to enjoy! We need to find the right balance! My main aim it to try and cut the unnessesary spending and just to keep and eye/ motivate myself to save.
    • DFB35
    • By DFB35 5th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    DFB35
    Just a quick update.

Having been so good on Friday I have fell of the wagon and got a takeaway on Sunday! Oh it was so good though As it was my turn to pay its -30 of my budget..... oops

Also still not sorted my oyster, Im really hoping it will turn up when Im decluttering!

But on the plus side, no morning pastry and I have used the aldis cappuchino/ coffee sachets - they are amazing, and very handy as you only need hot water (milk and sugar already there). I will definitely keep going with them

I have also been playing around on the mortgage calculator and have decided to change our term to 20 years, once the fix period ends next year. Im a little bit worried in case something happens to my job, but the monthly amount will still be low enough to allow us some breathing room. Was tempted to 15 years but that would be pushing it, I will continue to over pay instead.

The plan is after our holidays next year to really start hammering on the mortgage. And the reason for the holidays are pretty special, it will most likely to be our last "family" holiday as it were, because our eldest will be nearly an adult.

Anxiety wise I had another very good day! That is so strange as literally the week before I started this diary I was really bad, but these last few days I have been fine. This is one of the main reasons why I havent been to the doctor and not been officially medicated/ diagnosed. When I feel anxious I self medicate with Calms/ Valerian root tablets (dont know if this is good or bad but it really helps to calm me and its only herbal).
    • DFB35
    • By DFB35 4th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    DFB35
    Not been here for ages, just popping in to update the signature:

Holiday pot - £2,800
    Annual bills/ Car/ Emergency pot - £650
    Mortgage money pot - 0

The plan is to get to 1k in the emergency pot and then start diverting the money to the mortgage pot..

I know my holiday pot is taking priority at the moment and its not very Mortgage Free Wannabe but we are planning for these two holidays next year to be The Holidays of a Lifetime and our last proper holidays as a family (our daughter will be leaving for college the year after and then will probably be going on holidays with friends etc..)

I am trying to be as good as possible financially and making some changes in regards to top up shops and buying breakfast etc, some days I succeed but others I give in, but hoping to find a nice balance.

In regards to decluttering and sorting the house, I have sorted some bits of the garden, but nothing substantial in the actual house, waiting for my time off at the end of July.

Speak soon
    • DFB35
    • By DFB35 7th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    DFB35
    Right a lot has happened since my last post...

If you have been following my previous diaries you might have seen that I was at times really struggling with my job and it was making me anxious and depressed. The main reason being was I felt that even though I was working harder than ever, because our particular department wasnt doing so well we were made to feel unappreciated and unrewarded. In the middle of July it came to light that things have gotten very bad and we were offered redundancies. It was more or less voluntary but you know how these things are!

So rightly or wrongly I took it!! At the same time my husband has been headhunted for a new job with a higher salary... that was amazing it itself as he felt like I did unappreciated and down and has been looking for a new job on and off for YEARS... so to be offered this new job literally a week after my redundancy has felt almost like fate was stepping in for us!!

So new plan!

At first I have been looking for a new job, but if Im 100% honest I really need some time out to recover emotionally from the stress of my job, so we have decided to live just on my husbands salary for now..

Meanwhile I have signed up to do an open university course to try and retrain (and not to "waste" time as Im already 33 ). Because it is an open university I will be able to work alongside it if need be and study inn my own time, but the plan for at least a few months is to recover, concentrate on my course and be a stay at home mum for awhile. This feels so amazing I cannot even describe it! I have never been a stay at home mum bar 2 maternity leaves.. so Im really looking forward to it!

Of course I am a little bit scared and it does put us in a vulnerable position being on one salary, but for now this is the right choice for us. Im hoping once I feel better to take a part time job to add to our income or even go back to the city, depending how Im feeling and with my studies as well. Also Im hoping the fact Im studying my "career break" wont be counting against me on my CV??

In terms of our family holidays.. Maybe some people think we are mad but they are still going ahead! One in December and one in July next year. But other than that I will be saving my redundancy pay and living on one wage. I will be posting our SOA at some point, it will be tight but certainly doable! We have no debt bar mortgage and Im really keen to keep it this way...

Im still working as had to stay until next month, but after that I bet I will be a much more regular poster.

And I have finally Marie Kondo -ed my draws btw - it made a huge difference!
    Last edited by DFB35; 07-09-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    • DFB35
    • By DFB35 7th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    DFB35
    i have updated my signature but this does not include my redundancy pot:

Mortgage Overpayment pot- £0
    Emergency/ Bills/ Car pot - £500
    Christmas/ Birthdays/ Holiday pot - £0

My new plan from November will be to save:
    £50 a month in the emergency pot
    £50 a month in the Christmas/ Birthday/ holiday pot

And then whatever is left to be used as mortgage overpayment. The holidays are the "future" holidays if we can afford them and not the two family holidays we have already planned/ booked as these will be paid for from my original savings and redundancy money. Christmas this year will also be paid for from the original savings.

I know its a bit confusing, but I just wanted to separate the pots for when we drop to one salary and I dont want to disclose the exact amount of savings I already have/ redundancy money.
    Last edited by DFB35; 07-09-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    • Madcatgirl
    • By Madcatgirl 7th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    Madcatgirl
    Sounds like the redundancy/ husbands job offer could be a silver lining! Good luck with your new plan
    March 2016 - £178,914.59; July 2017 £146,160.38
    Mortgage end Sept 2043; Target - pay off by March 2022, now Sept 2021
    Target balance July 2018 £112,560
    • DFB35
    • By DFB35 8th Sep 17, 8:05 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    DFB35
    This is my projected SOA from November. I don't know if it looks realistic or not :S But we do have some savings and couple of areas I want to cut - mobile phones and Virgin media! I've been moaning about virgin for years but hubby doesn't want to give it up. Also I know there's a big chunk to hubby on his lunches/ entertainment but feel he deserves it as he will be the only earner?

There is 70 a month split between holiday/ entertainment/presents - this money will go in one pot and all extras will come out of it i.e. Haircuts (but I cut my own hair anyway!), clothes etc as needed.

There is 50 a month for emergency- this will go into emergency/annual bills/ car pot.

So here it is! Scary!!

[font=courier new]Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 2
    Number of cars owned.................... 1 We had two cars but sold one

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 0
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2256
    Benefits................................ 0 - we get child's benefit but this is saved for kids future
    Other income............................ 0 - I am planning to take a part time job eventually
    Total monthly income.................... 2256

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 795
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 160
    Electricity............................. 125 - this is for both gas & electric
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 40
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 78 - I know it's a lot! This is for 3 mobiles
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 90 - this includes internet/ tv/ house phone but I know it's huge! Needs cutting down
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 250 - I have put the in a separate account this month to try it out. Really hope to stick to it!
    Clothing................................ 0
    Petrol/diesel........................... 40
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 50
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0 - this will come out of emergency pot
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 16
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 15
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 30 - I'm planning to save it all in one pot (presents/ holiday/ clothes/ entertainment/ haircuts etc and just use as needed)
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Entertainment........................... 20
    Holiday................................. 20
    Emergency fund.......................... 50 - this will cover car maintenance
    Husbands travel......................... 231 - to central London!
    Husbands spending (lunches etc)......... 200 - I know this is huge but as he will be the only earner I feel it's fair he should enjoy his money a bit, this money would cover his daily lunch and entertainment
    Road side assistance.................... 10
    Adt alarm............................... 23
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2255.12

Assets

Cash.................................... 0 - we do have savings which I ideally don't want to touch!
    House value (Gross)..................... 400000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 14000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 414000

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 249000...(795)......0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 249000....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Total unsecured debts..........0.........0.........-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,256
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,255.12
    Available for debt repayments........... 0.88
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 0
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 0.88

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 414,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -249,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -0
    Net Assets.............................. 165,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,437Posts Today

6,246Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin