Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 1st Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    • 2,302Posts
    • 1,663Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    Rail company issued travel cards not working on the underground
    • 1st Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    Rail company issued travel cards not working on the underground 1st Jun 17 at 3:06 PM
    I travel quite a lot from Basingstoke to London via the train, since I have a seniors railcard, getting the London travel card as part of the rail ticket works out cheaper. However of late I've had issues where the London Underground gates will not accept the ticket,I then have to get a LU staff member to open the gate, which to be honest has not been a problem, it just slows down the journey.

The same ticket works fine on the rail main line gates, so it's not a case that the metallic strip is totally unreadable. One LU employee tried to tell me that putting the ticket in close proximity to a credit card in my wallet was the cause, as it "scrambles" the strip. I don't buy that.

It happened on two different occasions recently, I realised I'd used the same South West Trains (small blue unit) collection point both times to print the ticket. So the next time I used one of the regular larger collection points, and had no problems on LU.

Anyone else seen this type of behaviour?
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 2nd Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 17,884 Posts
    • 13,569 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 2nd Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 2nd Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    Sounds to me like you should be speaking to SW Trains to suggest that they look at their collection point.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 2nd Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    • 939 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 2nd Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    • 2nd Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    It is possible that the strip can be messed with by other things e.g. magnets (maybe on a wallet/purse or bag) or mobile phones. The strips on disposable-type tickets aren't as resistant to it as things like credit cards which have to last much longer. I don't know whether it can be partially messed up and whether some ticket machines would be more sensitive to that, but I'd give keeping the ticket separate from your phone and any magnets a go. It won't hurt to try!
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 3rd Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 7,341 Posts
    • 4,739 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 3rd Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 3rd Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    The last few times I've travelled overground and had to change stations in London, I've just been sent ordinary rail tickets, which have no mag strip.

I just walk straight to the manned gate, tell them it doesn't work the barriers, and they let me through immediately, they're as good as gold. They barely even look at the ticket. It doesn't slow the journey down at all.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 4th Jun 17, 12:35 AM
    • 4,108 Posts
    • 3,501 Thanks
    Kite2010
    • 4th Jun 17, 12:35 AM
    • 4th Jun 17, 12:35 AM
    The last few times I've travelled overground and had to change stations in London, I've just been sent ordinary rail tickets, which have no mag strip.

I just walk straight to the manned gate, tell them it doesn't work the barriers, and they let me through immediately, they're as good as gold. They barely even look at the ticket. It doesn't slow the journey down at all.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Ordinary rail tickets which don't have mag strips?
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 4th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    • 7,341 Posts
    • 4,739 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 4th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    • 4th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    Ordinary rail tickets which don't have mag strips?
    Originally posted by Kite2010
    Sorry, they have mag strips. Just not ones that work on the underground.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 4th Jun 17, 11:24 AM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,521 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 4th Jun 17, 11:24 AM
    • 4th Jun 17, 11:24 AM
    Sorry, they have mag strips. Just not ones that work on the underground.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    There may be the odd one or two which don't work, but your sweeping generalisation has no foundation.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 4th Jun 17, 12:12 PM
    • 7,341 Posts
    • 4,739 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 4th Jun 17, 12:12 PM
    • 4th Jun 17, 12:12 PM
    There may be the odd one or two which don't work, but your sweeping generalisation has no foundation.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    It isn't a 'sweeping generalisation', it refers only, as I said, to 'the last few times I've travelled overground and had to change stations in London'.

I know not whether that's typical or not.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 7th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 1,763 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 7th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 7th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    National Rail travelcards often don't work on LU gates, giving either an 09 or an 07 error code. It's well known and is NR's problem which they don't bother to resolve.
    • stclair
    • By stclair 9th Jun 17, 9:32 AM
    • 6,325 Posts
    • 3,372 Thanks
    stclair
    Some conductor tickets are paper now so it's a pain when you're travelling through London as they don't even fit through the barriers.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,037Posts Today

6,885Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin