Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • [MaccA]
    • By [MaccA] 31st May 17, 10:06 AM
    • 91Posts
    • 42Thanks
    [MaccA]
    E.ON still installing SMETS1 meters
    • 31st May 17, 10:06 AM
    E.ON still installing SMETS1 meters 31st May 17 at 10:06 AM
    I couldn't find an answer to this online so tweeted E.ON Help yesterday. Hopefully putting it here will help others find it.

According to E.ON Help, as you can see in the tweet reply, they are still deploying SMETS1 smart meters.
    https://twitter.com/EONhelp/status/869519866943983616

These are the old smart meter types that may not be compatible with other energy providers should you wish to move supplier. The new smart meter type, SMETS2, will use the central government backed 'DCC' network for communicating, which will allow all suppliers to automatically pick up readings from any SMETS2 smart meter. See this Which article for confirmation and more info. http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/smart-meters/article/smart-meters-explained/smart-meter-roll-out.

Which states that suppliers are allowed to deploy SMETS1 smart meters for 1 year after the DCC went live. I can't find an exact date for that but from the official DCC web site it looks like that was some time in November 2016. https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/implementation/programme/

Hope this helps someone. The information is correct to the best of my ability. Happy for someone to correct or add more info.
Page 2
    • [MaccA]
    • By [MaccA] 13th Aug 17, 9:38 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    [MaccA]
    Hate to break it to you, but to date, every smart meter fitted will HAVE to be replaced...

And so will every smart meter fitted between now and 2023
    Originally posted by MeterMan
    Please provide a source for this information as I've never read that, unless you are just saying that everything in life breaks eventually in which case you are missing the point.

I am actually massively in favour of smart meters, and I want one soon, hence I did the research (and provided links to my claims). But I am not going to take one that will become defunct when I move supplier (which I do, like most people on here, the moment my fixed tariff ends), when a second generation one will solve that in just a few months.
    • Michaelw
    • By Michaelw 13th Aug 17, 5:15 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Michaelw
    Which states that suppliers are allowed to deploy SMETS1 smart meters for 1 year after the DCC went live. I can't find an exact date for that but from the official DCC web site it looks like that was some time in November 2016. https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/implementation/programme/
    Originally posted by [MaccA]
    It sounds like they had no choice because there is only SMETS1 meters are available .Looking at Landis&Gyr's website theres no mention of of the new version.The problem also is peoples IGT ground boxes have been modified for this type of gas meter too.Here are the British Gas type.

http://www.landisgyr.co.uk/product/landisgyr-libra-310-series-2/

http://www.landisgyr.co.uk/product/landisgyr-e470-zigbee-smart-electricity-meter/

Messaging
    • The meter is capable of showing messages from the utility on the meter display.
    I don't know why they bothered the display on this meter is terrible.Its hard to read at glance and is of poor display.

Companies should inform their customers that meters are not nterchangeable with this "upgrade".Having an other onsite visit to exchange meters costs money.That comes from customers' bills.Gaz & Leccy should have shown a bit of savvy.
    • [MaccA]
    • By [MaccA] 14th Aug 17, 11:58 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    [MaccA]
    Call me a cynic but I bet there are SMETS2 boxes available, just the suppliers need to use up their SMETS1 stock before moving to the new version

Hence the term "allowed" to deploy SMETS1 for 1yr post DCC launch. They need to deploy as many meters as possible before November as after that date the SMETS1's go to the recycler and get written off.

I'm no expert, these opinions are just based on some short research, reading between the lines and a healthy dose of cynicism
    • dnpark38
    • By dnpark38 14th Sep 17, 10:46 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    dnpark38
    Anyone had a smart meters fitted by Eon recently?
    Was it an SMETS1 or SMETS2?
    Thanks
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 14th Sep 17, 12:13 PM
    • 4,421 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Anyone had a smart meters fitted by Eon recently?
    Was it an SMETS1 or SMETS2?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by dnpark38
    Can't find the relevant thread......but EON rep recently confirmed that they are still fitting the 1st generation meters.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 14th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    House Martin
    Landis and Gyr have had SMETS2 smart electric and gas meters on sale for at least a year.. E470 zigbee electric and G370 ultrasonic zigbees are both SMETS2 compliant.They also say a module exchange only is possible to update old SMETS1 like the G430 gas meter.
    Eon have switched to fitting Liberty Secure smart meters..Worst smart meters of the lot from a customer point of view.Very bad decision by the Eon boss who has no respect for the end user.
    Last edited by House Martin; 14-09-2017 at 3:05 PM.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 14th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 11,199 Posts
    • 14,718 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Have you asked them to stop calling you over this?

Or are you happy to be called almost daily, with their "pestering"???
    Originally posted by footyguy
    i have contacted Eon with regards to this communication and opted out of receiving further communication, which they were happy to do so.
    Originally posted by Wolf3
    I had to tell British Gas 4 times that I didn't want a smart meter until I know I'll be getting SMETS2 ones before they stopped contacting me about them
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 14th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 2,093 Posts
    • 2,956 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Hence the term "allowed" to deploy SMETS1 for 1yr post DCC launch. They need to deploy as many meters as possible before November as after that date the SMETS1's go to the recycler and get written off.
    Originally posted by [MaccA]
    As much as I like to criticise the smart meter programme, they wouldn't really write off brand new never installed smart meters would they.... not when there's already a huge stock of installed SMETS1 meters which will require some kind of compatibility upgrade.

I mean, recycling brand new expensive electronic equipment just because some arbitrary "install by" date has been set - that would be crazy.

I guess we don't have long to wait to see.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • phillw
    • By phillw 14th Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    phillw
    which will require some kind of compatibility upgrade.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    I'm not convinced that they are going to bother. They probably have as much clue about what they are going to do about the SMETS1 meters as the government has about brexit.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 16th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 9,309 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    This is fast turning into a typical UK Government farce. The wrong sort of meters, incompetent installers, not enough incompetent installers, training organisations cashing in on supplying get rich quick training courses to be smart "Engineers",,etc etc,,
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,364Posts Today

7,847Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin