Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 12,171Posts
    • 34,875Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 16th Jun 16 at 8:32 PM

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.

Last edited by redfox; 30-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Page 954
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 10:29 PM
    • 27,473 Posts
    • 375,777 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    they do have some good offers on
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Waities is the only supermarket for DD2, except the little Ts express. She hasn't had any conditional spends sent yet, only got her card beginning of August. She is in training.
    Birds flying high, You know how I feel, Sun in the sky, You know how I feel,
    Reeds driftin' on by, You know how I feel

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life, For me, And I'm feeling good...
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Sep 17, 10:35 PM
    • 50,527 Posts
    • 580,938 Thanks
    bubbs
    Waities is the only supermarket for DD2, except the little Ts express. She hasn't had any conditional spends sent yet, only got her card beginning of August. She is in training.
    Originally posted by Tinyshoes
    Yes waities is my sister "corner shop" since she has moved
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    [COLOR="Magenta"]Stopped Smoking 22/01/15 -3 st 10 1/2 lb week 26
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    • 50,527 Posts
    • 580,938 Thanks
    bubbs
    Right im off to bed, night all x
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    [COLOR="Magenta"]Stopped Smoking 22/01/15 -3 st 10 1/2 lb week 26
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 10:39 PM
    • 27,473 Posts
    • 375,777 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Right im off to bed, night all x
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Night bubbs x

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life, For me, And I'm feeling good...
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 10:39 PM
    • 27,473 Posts
    • 375,777 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Don't know why I have thought of this choon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X2fdGEWOhA

• shirley999
    • By shirley999 15th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 14,278 Thanks
    shirley999
    is anyone able to log into their nectar accounts?

Several people on their fb page say they are having problems and neither me nor the missus can access our accounts

edit: scratch that, it's all working now
    Originally posted by aau1
    Not working for me! Probably been sabotaged by all the haters.
    • aau1
    • By aau1 15th Sep 17, 10:45 PM
    • 18,793 Posts
    • 323,543 Thanks
    aau1
    Can anyone login to nectar just now? Neither me nor my son can.
    Originally posted by shirley999
    Not working for me! Probably been sabotaged by all the haters.
    Originally posted by shirley999

I've just checked and I'm having the same problems as I was having yesterday.
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 27,473 Posts
    • 375,777 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    So sad to see the difference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_xrbmkz03s

• aau1
    • By aau1 15th Sep 17, 10:47 PM
    • 18,793 Posts
    • 323,543 Thanks
    aau1
    No veg box delivery for us today, as we had no means to pay for it had to remove the credit card from the account. Thankfully we have a lot of our own produce to see us through.

Don't have card stored in many places, I've been through M&S, Debs, Argoose to name a few most it wasn't saved on anyway,
    Mr TS did Amazon and Paypal. So we are in limbo land until new card arrives. What's the betting something really good comes up over the weekend.
    If you've cancelled with the card provider does it really matter if it's stored anywhere?
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 15th Sep 17, 11:06 PM
    • 19,588 Posts
    • 253,652 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Someone's bought the usual drinks and sweets for a Friday night. And paid a little more than they should:

7 items on your receipt qualify for comparison Asda morrisons
    1x Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 Tennessee Whiskey & Cola (330ml) £2.00 £2.12
    1x Appletiser Sparkling Apple Drink (750ml) £2.50 £1.47
    1x Skittles Fruity Sweets Bag 4 Pack (4x45g) £1.70 £1.76
    1x Sprite Mini Can (150ml) £0.25 N/A
    1x Coca-Cola Mini Can (150ml) £0.25 £0.42
    1x Diet Coke Mini Can (150ml) £0.25 £0.42
    1x Rowntrees Fruit Gums Sweets Bag (150g) £1.00 £1.00
    1x Fanta Orange Mini Can (150ml) £0.25 £0.42
    Comparison total (compared products only) £7.95 £7.61

I like this receipt because, although they bought a non-comparable and failed to get a 4 for £1 for M:

1x Sprite Mini Can (150ml) £0.25 N/A
    1x Coca-Cola Mini Can (150ml) £0.25 £0.42
    1x Diet Coke Mini Can (150ml) £0.25 £0.42
    1x Fanta Orange Mini Can (150ml) £0.25 £0.42

with the result three of the mini cans take away money, I still get a voucher. Mainly because they paid more money than sense for an Appletiser drink:

1x Appletiser Sparkling Apple Drink (750ml) £2.50 £1.47

and the other items don't lose. With the result that Morries is cheaper! It might have been cheaper still if they had shopped at M as they would have been forced to pick up a different mini can and probably paid 4 for £1 to M - is M 4 for £1 on its cans? However, despite the Sprite, I am grateful that they bought this as I am relying on it for the eight items.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 15-09-2017 at 11:15 PM.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 15th Sep 17, 11:22 PM
    • 19,588 Posts
    • 253,652 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Is that a pop against modern music? I think that later performance is actually a 'good' performance. However, it comes across to me as more of a comedy performance, whether or not it was intended to be, rather than a serious musical composition.

I heard one recent cover version of a song today, because I was stuck taking someone else to the doctors. The radio was on and had a song on that ruined one of my favourites from a few decades before. I didn't like it. The 'rule', which became established by about 17 years ago, is that, if they do a cover and I really dislike it, it will be a huge hit but if a cover is released that actually does a good version or - better! - ruins someone else's worse cover or original - then it will sink without trace. This is very scientific. (I think it is because, post-1998, the radio, that still determines what most people hear and, therefore, allows them more to know and be able to buy/download what is played, collectively plays most often, as "radio-friendly", a sound that I completely dislike. Just about the only sound in music I dislike. I actually prefer nails down a blackboard. I know. That is a less uncomfortable sound. I don't like radio-friendly sounds. There's actually a word for the more pleasant sensation of nails (compared to most modern 'music' anyway) - this page claims it isn't English but it is - http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39141780/theres-now-a-word-for-nails-on-a-blackboard---but-its-not-in-english - it's called "grima" - I don't see why we can't import the "Spanish" word and use it as English - in fact "Schadenfreude" on there, I think that actually is in English dictionaries even though it is originally German - it's like French - "le weekend" - French word you see! So I don't see why the word "grima" cannot be a valid English word for a sound that I like compared to almost all of this century's stuff on the mass part of the radio, although I do like the sound of the vast majority of last century's pop, excluding the last couple of years - and at least some music from every genre besides. I am probably the man that likes a greater percentage of music overall than anyone else, but just thoroughly dislikes, and finds uncomfortable, what gets played from the last 19 years - I simply add an extra year with each passing year!

They go back to the 1980s, or - since it was even better in my view the early 1990s even rarer - and manage to pick music that I like but, whenever they go to post-1998, immediately they lose their taste and pick only the stuff I don't like from that time - there was actually a whole lot more good music at that period than possibly before but none of it is ever played! As I must have said before, I like everything that hit the UK singles sales Top 40 that got playlisted in the daytime on absolutely no UK radio station and excluding only almost everything that got playlisted by any of them, even more so if it was playlisted by more stations - it is scientifically calculated and worked out like this. Actually in the early 1990s, which was 'my era', everyone did this during theirs surely? - I was a stats geek and used to compare the BBC chart and the commercial stations' chart every week and, even back then, noticed that, if I liked something a bit more, it was lower down the airplay/sales chart than the pure sales chart in proportion to the amount that I liked it - my brother, who has similar tastes (but not the same) to me, also had the same but not as much as me - whereas, if I really liked something and it was my absolute favourite of the week, it would be even more positions lower down the airplay-based chart than its 'true' position on sales only. The top 10 was sales only on both charts - so, if I one of the songs I heard was a Top 10 hit, it would enter the Top 10 and, when it later fell outside the Top 10, it would fall right the way down if I really liked it and, if I disliked it, it would stick around for weeks and weeks at numbers 11 and 12 on airplay/sales, whilst, in 'reality', my reality anyway, truly it was lower down on sales and had disappeared but was obviously continuing to get airplay. Clearly they would pull my songs off the radio and then never play them again if they are good; if I disliked something it would get played and played even after it had been a hit. This became more stark towards the late 1990s - consistent sidelining of my music obviously eventually turned it into something I thoroughly detested and could not deal with - sorry if you like current pop, I really find it impossible to listen to - as song-makers would have to change their sound in order to get their song played. Anyway, enough. It is scientific and based on factual evidence and statistics of chart positions weighed up, although no-one believes me.

My music was biased towards those pure club sounds that got into the lower end of the Top 40 because many dance DJs would buy them on vinyl each week but they were claimed, by an edition of Guinness Hit Singles, to be sounds for a particular environment that they alleged did not transmit well on the radio, even though they transmit very well indeed to me. However, as the radio in daytime clearly did not like being 'forced' to play my song each week only at the low end of the chart, the lowest new entry for a single week, week after week (early 2000s), whilst nearly all the rest of the chart was tune-out for me, they changed the rules in 2006 to count download. Thus making the physical sales of my music lose out and not get into the chart. I have never liked them for this ever since. Then they changed it so that they no longer play the entire chart. I haven't listened to the charts - in fact it is physically impossible for me to do so I think because the sound of the songs is that bad to me - for nearly 15 years and I don't bother with them at all. It is not possible (for me) to tune into contemporary music radio as - I'd be back to the increasingly annoying position that started to happen from the mid-1990s onwards to me - I would tune out every song and then switch over, thus ensuring I heard the same song again and again even more and tuned out again and eventually switched the whole lot off at the end of the 1990s! I then bought - we had no Internet - records as forced to do so to get anything decent to listen to, discovered I liked all loads of songs, in different versions and remixes to the ones the radio played most often but just not the version they played, and have never looked back since. I have felt a lot happier since I switched them off in 1999 and away from all the dirge that they play. I am not sure if modern music on the radio is boring now or if it is irritating high-pitched vocals - it's either that or is stuff that is inappropriate to the places in which it is played and makes me regularly very uncomfortable. Sorry to end on a 'bad' note - at least it's better than theirs!)
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 16-09-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 11:30 PM
    • 27,473 Posts
    • 375,777 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    If you've cancelled with the card provider does it really matter if it's stored anywhere?
    Originally posted by aau1
    No you are right it doesn't...I think we were just wondering where it was stored so removed it as we looked.

• Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    • 27,473 Posts
    • 375,777 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Is that a pop against modern music? I think that later performance is actually a 'good' performance. However, it comes across to me as more of a comedy performance, whether or not it was intended to be, rather than a serious musical composition.

I heard one recent cover version of a song today, because I was stuck taking someone else to the doctors. The radio was on and had a song on that ruined one of my favourites from a few decades before. I didn't like it. The 'rule', which became established by about 17 years ago, is that, if they do a cover and I really dislike it, it will be a huge hit but if a cover is released that actually does a good version or - better! - ruins someone else's worse cover or original - then it will sink without trace. This is very scientific. (I think it is because, post-1998, the radio, that still determines what most people hear and, therefore, allows them more to know and be able to buy/download what is played, collectively plays most often, as "radio-friendly", a sound that I completely dislike. Just about the only sound in music I dislike. I actually prefer nails down a blackboard. I know. That is a less uncomfortable sound. I don't like radio-friendly sounds.)
    Originally posted by Savvybuyer
    It was the differnece in his looks I found sad savvy, he was a very good looking man but felt the continuing need to have plastic surgery which eventually went wrong.

• davemorton
    • By davemorton 15th Sep 17, 11:49 PM
    • 26,051 Posts
    • 303,833 Thanks
    davemorton
    Who???????????????
    (I will catch up and see, but just nosey)
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 16th Sep 17, 12:01 AM
    • 27,473 Posts
    • 375,777 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Who???????????????
    (I will catch up and see, but just nosey)
    Originally posted by davemorton
    Pete Burns

• Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 16th Sep 17, 12:05 AM
    • 19,588 Posts
    • 253,652 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    It was the differnece in his looks I found sad savvy, he was a very good looking man but felt the continuing need to have plastic surgery which eventually went wrong.
    Oh. Well I would never have noticed that of course.
    There goes me - I wasn't even looking at his facial impressions, I suspect there is something in this.

I have no idea - if anyone is 'saying' anything (that isn't really grossly overt) through their face or their eyes in that video - or indeed every other - then it simply does not get through to me.

I could just about see that someone was upset on one recent news report (a few months back). They must have been really, really, really, seriously upset. All other occasions they will appear to be showing nothing to me including occasions where other reporters have said the person was upset (obviously, on those and every other occasion of humans on television/film, I see their face but it doesn't give any emotion at all - it doesn't look emotionless either as that would itself be an emotional state - a state of a blank expression - but, instead, it's not even a blank expression or any expression at all - there's nothing there and nothing not there, I just see their face (on television or film anyway, real life I tend to look down) - and then occasionally a reporter will say they were upset or had a certain body language, which is very helpful to me if they do that, or "you can see from their body language..." - no I can't!).
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 16-09-2017 at 12:15 AM.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 16th Sep 17, 12:15 AM
    • 26,051 Posts
    • 303,833 Thanks
    davemorton
    So when does the third new home announcement arrive on here
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Pete Burns
    Scary bloke!
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 16th Sep 17, 12:23 AM
    • 26,051 Posts
    • 303,833 Thanks
    davemorton
    Well I have had the same wall for 10 and a half years, it was looking knackered, and since I have put the house up for sale, decided to get a new one 3 weeks ago...and today some twit decided to drive through it, sods law, why they didnt do that 3 weeks ago when I would have been over the moon, I do not know. Least the bloke was honest and left his details (not that he had much choice).
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 16th Sep 17, 12:24 AM
    • 19,588 Posts
    • 253,652 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Pete Burns
    I did do research, to see if he was in Dead or Alive, before I inaccurately commented that later performance was a cover version.

See, missing context again - I have no clue who is in most bands, even those, like Dead or Alive that, as far as I am aware, I like (perhaps it is the remix producer of their songs that I like?) - unless it was something that I was really interested in, as a narrow and usually temporary interest, then I would not remember it. I know band names and music artists - until around the millenium and then I stop - as it is a blank area there, where I only know increasingly lower charting music - by 2008, I think I was average peak of number 112 in the Top 200, after that, I haven't been anywhere at all - does not chart. But, yes, as far as band names and songs are concerned, I probably have a perfect memory of a lot more than most people (but nearly nothing at all, certainly not popular, from mid-2000s onwards) - or I have a good memory probably only the ones I really like - but don't really know band members. My favourite artists tend not to be bands anyway - a sizeable number of them are DJs or producers with a a featured artist solo singer. Or are "underground" bands that don't make much impact in this country (even though the vast majority that I regularly listen to perform in English, simply because that is the language that I understand so I am biased in that way).

You would never know the research that goes into my posts. To be honest, I don't really care who is performing something (unless I don't like it) - it's whether I can listen to/like the music. Though if you tell me it is a recent (post-1998) pop music artist, I will admittedly probably dislike it or only like it if it is a remix version (or the original if the pop version is a remix - sorry, my tastes just don't seem catered for - it appears to me to be so unfair), preferably a remix that removes their vocals from it as much as possible or completely and absolutely changes them to make them totally unrecognisable to the original that irritates me hugely.

My tastes are hugely unkind sometimes.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 16-09-2017 at 12:32 AM.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 16th Sep 17, 12:29 AM
    • 12,064 Posts
    • 132,062 Thanks
    Anon
    Busy watching REM on Sky Arts - they have so many excellent tracks .

Anon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

384Posts Today

3,269Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin