Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 12,154Posts
    • 34,834Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 16th Jun 16 at 8:32 PM

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.

Last edited by redfox; 30-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Page 949
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Sep 17, 4:28 PM
    • 16,407 Posts
    • 192,350 Thanks
    mhoc
    The other interesting thing LEJC, don't know if you have ever come across it. They have had to take out an insolvency indemnity insurance because me and her BF's parents have gifted money towards the purchase of the flat. They had no idea what it was for but google suggests it's just in case any of us parents go bankrupt, even though we have had to sign paperwork to say we have no interest in the property and the money was a gift.

I found this online first I have ever read about it.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2830653/First-time-buyers-helped-Mum-Dad-hit-150-fee-insurance-policy.html
    Originally posted by Tinyshoes
    This is one thing I was wondering about - the insurances you have to take out with a mortgage now, honestly dont have a clue.

This sounds like another of these insurances that no one will ever claim for.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    • 16,407 Posts
    • 192,350 Thanks
    mhoc
    Olden days mhoc? That is where some of my savings are.
    I had passbooks for my dads Brittania building society but he died before the Co op bank took it over.
    Ive got passbooks from Yorkshire building society dating back a few years but everything is online now so these just get uodated on the interest date and at the start of the new tax year.
    And my very oldest account was with the Cheshire and again they were taken over by Nationwide, went online for a few years and eventually swallowed whole.

Yes I miss savings passbooks
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 4:37 PM
    • 27,471 Posts
    • 375,759 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Does your DD and BF have contact with their LL Tiny?

It might be worth them requesting an earlier check out of the property if it suits them better....and afterall no point paying for 2 places unless they have to.

The LL could be very flexible and welcome them going as it means they can start remarketing etc for new tenants and if a tenant can be found before the natural end of the notice period and moved in then they may be entitled to a rental partial payment back....the LL is not able to rent the property out until the previous tenancy ends and so must give back unused rent if they do find a new set of tenants during an existing tenants notice period.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    He is already marketing it LEJC. They did actually want a bit of a gap between and had factored in an extra months rent. DD hasn't even started packing and they will need to buy wardrobes as the rented flat has built in ones. I think it will work out just right. Unfortunately the flat they are moving to is no bigger than what they are renting, in fact I don't think it has as much storage, so it will be better to be empty while it's decorated, furniture erected etc. It is not far up the road from where they are living now, so I think they may get away without the cost of big removals van if it's done bit by bit.
    Birds flying high, You know how I feel, Sun in the sky, You know how I feel,
    Reeds driftin' on by, You know how I feel

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life, For me, And I'm feeling good...
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 27,471 Posts
    • 375,759 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    I had passbooks for my dads Brittania building society but he died before the Co op bank took it over.
    Ive got passbooks from Yorkshire building society dating back a few years but everything is online now so these just get uodated on the interest date and at the start of the new tax year.
    And my very oldest account was with the Cheshire and again they were taken over by Nationwide, went online for a few years and eventually swallowed whole.

Originally posted by mhoc
    I don't do online banking so my loyalty saver with Nationwide which was only opened few years ago is a passbook, I like to see how much is in it or rather isn't in it at the moment. I think most of it has been transferred to better interest paying regular saver though and that is a card.

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life, For me, And I'm feeling good...
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    • 50,476 Posts
    • 580,557 Thanks
    bubbs
    How did she do this, prove where the money came from?
    I suppose in the olden days we had building society cashbooks but now most things are online.

I know some peope have an inheritance as part of their deposit and
    I suppse thats easy to prove as there will be solicitors documentation

Also if its the bank of mum and dad and they give a couple deposit money, mum and dad have to prove that its their money from savings and it has to be solicitor witnessed - bank statements in the correct names and initials and passport scans etc

All to do with the money laundrying laws
    She printed off the bank statements and took the policy letters in as she was only able to do this through loosing her dhshe would rather have him though
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

[B] -3 st 8 lb week 25/B]
    • zippydooda
    • By zippydooda 15th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    • 14,492 Posts
    • 225,907 Thanks
    zippydooda
    nice head and shoulders womble v morrison
    3 for 2
    1x Head & Shoulders Apple Fresh Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (500ml) £5.00 £3.33

1x Head & Shoulders Citrus Fresh Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (500ml) £5.00 £3.33

1x Head & Shoulders Apple Fresh Anti-Dandruff Conditioner (400ml) £5.00 £3.34
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 56,782 Thanks
    LEJC
    it's a shame that they can't get it to all link in with less of a gap....it's not just the extra months rent ,it's the hidden things like 2 lots of council tax and standing charges on utilities on top of an already probably streched moving budget....but I'm sure it will all be worth it and in a few months time they and you will have forgotten all the stress .....

Looks like we'll be racing them for a completion next week...spoke to our solicitor this afternoon and they are still hopeful...I'm not quite as hopeful now as the form we need has to come from the sellers management company and having dealt with them before I know they are on the impossible side of slow when it comes to sending anything!
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 131 out 101 in ...£14.92 spend
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    • 50,476 Posts
    • 580,557 Thanks
    bubbs

Our ISA's are books
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

• ChelseaFred
    • By ChelseaFred 15th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 5,088 Thanks
    ChelseaFred
    I think he got confused as been doing 3's and had 7 on his brain for the sweets that didnt work
    Originally posted by bubbs
    True, didn't know it at the time but still got tears in my eyes
    At least it has been tested and others won't be caught

Been a hectic week with little sleep, so after tonights shift looking forward to catching up on some rest. DW off to Edinburgh for the weekend with 4 old school friends so should get some chill time, only she has left me a long list of 'little' jobs

Trying to get motivated for another night down the Salad Mines

ChelseaFred
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 16,407 Posts
    • 192,350 Thanks
    mhoc
    Hoping no big online glitches for a while Mr TS's CC been hacked , apparently they had 2 takeaways on us before trying to spend about £150 on shoes, thankfully that was blocked.

Although you wouldn't think an automated message coming through is the ideal way to inform you. Conflicting advice about the telephone number the call was from when I googled, some people saying was spam, so he phoned the number on the back of the card.

I'm bit confused how the takeaway orders went through a well known site, surely the delivery dress should match the card details... Hopefully will be refunded ok, as how do we prove it wasn't Mr TS. They did ask if it was ok for police to be involved if they thought it was appropriate which of course he said yes.

I mean £150 on shoes the cheek of it. Obviously the bank knew from previous spending the most would be a fiver.
    I am very surprised that the credit card company didnt pick it up the unusual activity when they started ordering takeaways.

Its happened to all of us. Eldest son had his current account emptied when his debit card was cloned, really mean as he was just doing a Saturday job at the time and only earning £28 a week. Nationwide had it sorted out for him within a day and his money was returned.
    Eldest child was home one weekend, late Friday night just incidentally she looked at her banking app and noticed unusual activity. Someone had cloned her card and was using it in India. She rang Halifax and it was all sorted for her next day.
    We were in the garage paying fir a repair bill but the credit card was blocked. When we got home I rang them and our card had been blocked because someone had tried to do test purchases with it before buying something massive.
    Banks now are very quick to sort out these problems
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 56,782 Thanks
    LEJC
    In shopping news....no Yazoos in 2 local T

One had 4 pack version for £1 on offer from £1.60 and it just scanned as milk on the receipt but I didn't get it incase the claim was rejected.

Think the 6 pack must be new stock that hasn't got through to all stores yet.

Dream vouchers work...like a dream really!.....fabulous overages for the brave.
    Jan £41.60/£40
    May
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 50,476 Posts
    • 580,557 Thanks
    bubbs
    True, didn't know it at the time but still got tears in my eyes
    At least it has been tested and others won't be caught

Been a hectic week with little sleep, so after tonights shift looking forward to catching up on some rest. DW off to Edinburgh for the weekend with 4 old school friends so should get some chill time, only she has left me a long list of 'little' jobs

Trying to get motivated for another night down the Salad Mines

ChelseaFred
    Originally posted by ChelseaFred
    If its any consolation i ballsed up an aussie and got sweet FA put it down to bad luck and put it away
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

• LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 56,782 Thanks
    LEJC
    If its any consolation i ballsed up an aussie and got sweet FA put it down to bad luck and put it away
    Originally posted by bubbs
    we've all been there at least once haven't we....

Oh CF....chalk it up to experience and remember you can't be a true elite until you've made a few rookie mistakes and even handed your badge back a few times
    Jan £41.60/£40
    May
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    • 27,471 Posts
    • 375,759 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    glad it all went through, 6 months is a long time since the offer went in, what caused the delay on the flat.
    At least they will only have to give a months notice on the flat - is that correct? The annoying thing is that landlords/agents start advertising straight away as soon as you put notice in so you can have randoms in the flat while you are in the midst of trying to pack to move ( I think they have to give sone notice, 24 hours is it?
    And then the first months mortgage will be 5 weeks so slightly bigger but they might possibly have had the deposit back from the flat by then.
    Are they hiring a removale firm or moving themselves?
    It was the leasehold management company that were holding things up in the end the EA and the seller were ringing them everyday. Of course the management company had no reason to hurry things along they were getting the ground rent/maintenance fees from the seller regardless while they are still the owner.

And as I mentioned the solicitor flagged up some fire regs that hadn't been done yet not sure if it is just checks or actual work, it's only a two storey block of flats with garages under. Solicitor wanted to make sure that the building insurance was still valid until whatever it is that needs to be done is done. Now what I am not sure on is if these fire regs are due to the grenfell situation or were already needing to be done. But the flats are brick built and their flat has an internal fire door. I guess the insurance company took a while to reply back to the management company too, I know this last question had been going on for few weeks.

Apparently they have to give months notice yes, but landlord has already given them 2 months notice to move out towards end of oct so no different really. DD said something about whenever the notice was something about the day they moved in would be the date of the month they have to move out. Not sure about the details of that. They moved in on the 24th of a month so she said it's too late to give notice for this month obviously and if they did give notice now it's the same date 24th oct that he has already given them to be out by. Have I made sense.

Think they are hoping to move themselves. No white goods to move as they belong to landlord. And no wardrobes. Beds, sofa and table and chairs which they will be able to hire small van for. Rest will fit in all our card at some point. We moved them in from Poole so I am sure with everyone chipping in we can do it again.

• bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    • 50,476 Posts
    • 580,557 Thanks
    bubbs
    we've all been there at least once haven't we....

Oh CF....chalk it up to experience and remember you can't be a true elite until you've made a few rookie mistakes and even handed your badge back a few times
    Oh more than once but i was being clever getting 8 items but 2 shampoos were the same in the wrong place on the shelf and i didnt check
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

• LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 56,782 Thanks
    LEJC
    I think if you moved in before october 2015 the notice periods you give are correct Tiny...after that date there was an amendment which allowed tenants to have a rolling contract that isn't tied to their move in date....but just needs to be a month.

It still might be worth checking that the LL doesn't get anyone in before the tenancy expiry as how it stands he cant get a tenant to move in until at least the 25th oct...and until the end of their tenancy your DD and her BF will not be handing back their keys WILL THEY?...!!!!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    May
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 27,471 Posts
    • 375,759 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    it's a shame that they can't get it to all link in with less of a gap....it's not just the extra months rent ,it's the hidden things like 2 lots of council tax and standing charges on utilities on top of an already probably streched moving budget....but I'm sure it will all be worth it and in a few months time they and you will have forgotten all the stress .....

Looks like we'll be racing them for a completion next week...spoke to our solicitor this afternoon and they are still hopeful...I'm not quite as hopeful now as the form we need has to come from the sellers management company and having dealt with them before I know they are on the impossible side of slow when it comes to sending anything!
    Good point LEJC it hadn't occurred to me all those extras. I will remind them but unsure whether anything can be done. I know they haven't allowed for getting their deposit back in all the buying figures and it was around month and a half rent so hopefully that will cover some eventualities.

• Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 27,471 Posts
    • 375,759 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    I think if you moved in before october 2015 the notice periods you give are correct Tiny...after that date there was an amendment which allowed tenants to have a rolling contract that isn't tied to their move in date....but just needs to be a month.

It still might be worth checking that the LL doesn't get anyone in before the tenancy expiry as how it stands he cant get a tenant to move in until at least the 25th oct...and until the end of their tenancy your DD and her BF will not be handing back their keys WILL THEY?...!!!!
    No I think they may have some leverage there.

They did move in before then, May 2013. Year contract and then went on to a rolling month.

• Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 5:23 PM
    • 27,471 Posts
    • 375,759 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Really appreciate your LL insight LEJC x

• braveheart60uk
    • By braveheart60uk 15th Sep 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 20,035 Thanks
    braveheart60uk
    In shopping news....no Yazoos in 2 local T

One had 4 pack version for £1 on offer from £1.60 and it just scanned as milk on the receipt but I didn't get it incase the claim was rejected.

Think the 6 pack must be new stock that hasn't got through to all stores yet.

Dream vouchers work...like a dream really!.....fabulous overages for the brave.
    I found mine in the soft drink aisle, not chilled. Top shelf.
    Best Before dates 23/9/17 in 3 different shops.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,073Posts Today

8,380Users online

Martin's Twitter