Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 12,176Posts
    • 34,882Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 16th Jun 16 at 8:32 PM

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.

Last edited by redfox; 30-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Page 947
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 375,779 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Originally posted by Snap-ant
    That starts a war in our house.
    Birds flying high, You know how I feel, Sun in the sky, You know how I feel,
    Reeds driftin' on by, You know how I feel

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life, For me, And I'm feeling good...
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 375,779 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Frustratingly we are waiting for just one form now in order to complete our property purchase for my oldies to finally get a roof over their heads...
    Exchange and completion will now hopefully be on the same day at some point next week.....

its been a long journey since the conception of this purchase back in Feb...and of course the change of property mid way though but it finally looks like its all going to come together next week sometime....more finger crossing needed please!

Snap...its an A for me....
    Originally posted by LEJC
    Fingers crossed for you LEJC x

Needing the same finger crossing, DD1 and BF are hoping to exchange today, phone call from solicitor to ask for their permission to go ahead. They put the offer in nearly 6 months ago, hoping to complete before mortgage offer expires.

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life, For me, And I'm feeling good...
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 1:28 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 375,779 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    GARDENERS ALERT:

Wilkinsons lots of RTCs around 75% off

Hosepipes £2.50, waterbutt diverters £1.25, greenhouse thermometer 65p, Cuprinol 5l (one coat spray) £4, Cuprinol Garden Shade 1l £2.50, Mini greenhouse £4, Flowery ladies rigger gloves 90p and more, there are lots of bits and bobs to look out for.

Seeds half price at the moment, I'm waiting a bit longer for those.

• Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 375,779 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Off for lunch, Pizza of course.

• Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 375,779 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Warning those meatball pizzas are not for the faint hearted.

Nose running now, they were hot stuff, didn't even realise thought the just bolognese by the name, I wonder what Polpette actually stands for.

Still Mr TS happy says one of the best bargains I've ever bought.

• Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 15th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 5,049 Posts
    • 52,373 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Originally posted by Snap-ant

Of course it's B.

You can't do this otherwise:

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 71.48

• Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 375,779 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    This is the stuff that is £4 in Wilko, £17.99 at Wickes

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Cuprinol-1-Coat-Sprayable-Forest-Green-5L/p/147082

They had 3 different shades in my local.

• Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 375,779 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Mr TS says I have to take the hose pipe back apparently he has enough.

Apparently I have bought some RTC another year.

• Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 375,779 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Hoping no big online glitches for a while Mr TS's CC been hacked , apparently they had 2 takeaways on us before trying to spend about £150 on shoes, thankfully that was blocked.

Although you wouldn't think an automated message coming through is the ideal way to inform you. Conflicting advice about the telephone number the call was from when I googled, some people saying was spam, so he phoned the number on the back of the card.

I'm bit confused how the takeaway orders went through a well known site, surely the delivery dress should match the card details... Hopefully will be refunded ok, as how do we prove it wasn't Mr TS. They did ask if it was ok for police to be involved if they thought it was appropriate which of course he said yes.

I mean £150 on shoes the cheek of it. Obviously the bank knew from previous spending the most would be a fiver.

• LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 56,791 Thanks
    LEJC
    Fingers crossed for you LEJC x

Needing the same finger crossing, DD1 and BF are hoping to exchange today, phone call from solicitor to ask for their permission to go ahead. They put the offer in nearly 6 months ago, hoping to complete before mortgage offer expires.
    Originally posted by Tinyshoes
    very happy to return the favour of finger crossing for you all Tiny....
    It must be so exciting for them,finally all coming together and they can enjoy their own place.

I remember you saying earlier in the year how they were struggling to find anywhere and their offers were not meeting the vendors expectations....but I'm so glad they are almost there....

Wishing them lots of special times in their new place x
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 131 out 101 in ...£14.92 spend
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 375,779 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Ooh forgot some of the camping/picnic and BBQ bits were RTC in Wilko too.

Got a camping kettle for £1.50 The whistle lid is broken on our old one and we have to balance it on, sometimes losing it completely for it to be found days later.

Also things like rat and mouse bait, and different types of ant killer were reduced too. I picked up a couple of those round ant bait stations for the larder just in case, as handy the poison is enclosed.

• Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 375,779 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    very happy to return the favour of finger crossing for you all Tiny....
    It must be so exciting for them,finally all coming together and they can enjoy their own place.

I remember you saying earlier in the year how they were struggling to find anywhere and their offers were not meeting the vendors expectations....but I'm so glad they are almost there....

Wishing them lots of special times in their new place x
    Thanks LEJC, it's a worrying time as their Landlord has given them notice. He wrote to them in August asking them to sign a brand new year contract with him. They have been on a rolling contract for the last 3 years, after the original year contract so it sort of came out of the blue.

There has been lots of hold ups as the leasehold management company for the flat were very slow answering all the legal questions. And there was a consideration of whether the building insurance was still valid as there is back log of fire regs stuff being done because of Grenfell so the things that had not been done yet at the block were low priority compared to those that have cladding etc.

• Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 375,779 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    I can't get excited yet though not until I know they have exchanged...

• Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 2:55 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 375,779 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    The other interesting thing LEJC, don't know if you have ever come across it. They have had to take out an insolvency indemnity insurance because me and her BF's parents have gifted money towards the purchase of the flat. They had no idea what it was for but google suggests it's just in case any of us parents go bankrupt, even though we have had to sign paperwork to say we have no interest in the property and the money was a gift.

I found this online first I have ever read about it.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2830653/First-time-buyers-helped-Mum-Dad-hit-150-fee-insurance-policy.html

• bargainqueen8
    • By bargainqueen8 15th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 23,025 Thanks
    bargainqueen8
    Head & shoulders shampoo 500ml have been moved into the 3 for 2 in my store. I can't test for a couple of days but they should work out at £1.33 each against tesco and morrison but I haven't checked what ones.
    Originally posted by Blacklist
    saw this mentioned the other day elsewhere so tested this morning,all good £18 apg against morries or tesco(dont usually do apgs but thought will go for it this time.)

1x Head & Shoulders Citrus Fresh 2 in 1 Anti-Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner (450ml) £5.00 £3.33, 1x Head & Shoulders Classic 2 in 1 Anti-Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner (450ml) £5.00 £3.33, 1x Head & Shoulders Menthol Fresh Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (500ml) £5.00 £3.35, 0.13x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Red Onion (order by number of onions or select kg) (per kg) £0.10 £0.13, 1x Maoam Giant Strawberry Stripes (1pk) £0.10 £0.10, 3x Head & Shoulders Classic Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (500ml) £15.00 £10.00, 1x Head & Shoulders Apple Fresh Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (500ml) £5.00 £3.33, 1x Head & Shoulders Smooth & Silky Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (500ml) £5.00 £3.33, 0.12x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Onion (order by number of onions or select kg) (per kg) £0.09 £0.09, 0.12x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Carrot (order by number of carrots or select kg) (per kg) £0.07 £0.07, 1x Head & Shoulders Citrus Fresh Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (500ml) £5.00 £3.33 , 1x Barratt Flumps (12g) £0.10 £0.10 .Comparison total (compared products only) £45.46 £30.49
    +£14.97

feel free to tidy it,i`m rubbish at this.lol
    Last edited by bargainqueen8; 15-09-2017 at 3:01 PM.
    • pk04
    • By pk04 15th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 46,088 Thanks
    pk04
    1x Head & Shoulders Citrus Fresh 2 in 1 Anti-Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner (450ml) £5.00 £3.33,
    1x Head & Shoulders Classic 2 in 1 Anti-Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner (450ml) £5.00 £3.33,
    1x Head & Shoulders Menthol Fresh Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (500ml) £5.00 £3.35,
    0.13x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Red Onion (order by number of onions or select kg) (per kg) £0.10 £0.13,
    1x Maoam Giant Strawberry Stripes (1pk) £0.10 £0.10,
    3x Head & Shoulders Classic Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (500ml) £15.00 £10.00,
    1x Head & Shoulders Apple Fresh Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (500ml) £5.00 £3.33,
    1x Head & Shoulders Smooth & Silky Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (500ml) £5.00 £3.33,
    0.12x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Onion (order by number of onions or select kg) (per kg) £0.09 £0.09,
    0.12x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Carrot (order by number of carrots or select kg) (per kg) £0.07 £0.07,
    1x Head & Shoulders Citrus Fresh Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (500ml) £5.00 £3.33 ,
    1x Barratt Flumps (12g) £0.10 £0.10 .
    Comparison total (compared products only) £45.46 £30.49
    +£14.97

There you go bargainqueen8
    There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne ... Bette Davis
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Sep 17, 3:20 PM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 56,791 Thanks
    LEJC
    The other interesting thing LEJC, don't know if you have ever come across it. They have had to take out an insolvency indemnity insurance because me and her BF's parents have gifted money towards the purchase of the flat. They had no idea what it was for but google suggests it's just in case any of us parents go bankrupt, even though we have had to sign paperwork to say we have no interest in the property and the money was a gift.

I found this online first I have ever read about it.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2830653/First-time-buyers-helped-Mum-Dad-hit-150-fee-insurance-policy.html
    I think these type of policies and indeed lots of the indemnity policies that are available nowadays are there in response to the culture that has sprung up over no win no fee...third party claims etc.

Back in the day when we bought our house we had a little gifted from the bank of mum and dad and no one batted an eyelid about it.
    I guess nowadays everyone wants to make sure that every loophole is covered so that in the event of any lawsuit everyone is covered.

We bought our 1st rental back in 2014 and were amazed at that point just how strict the solicitors checks were regarding proof of funds etc....and even this time the documentation of where funds have come from has left us needing to prove and prove again that the funds have been obtained fairly.

I do wonder if there is a legal obligation to take some of these policies out and having read the link in the article you posted wonder what would happen if your DD and her BF would have challenged the necessity of the policy ...but again with hindsight its easy to have these thoughts when at the time you will literally sign and pay for any document just to push the sale through especially when its so wanted and you will within reason do anything to ensure your sale or purchase goes through.

buying a property isn't cheap or as speedy as it used to be but thats a sign of the times that you have to cover yourselves for any future claim.

....and with that I've just received via email a draft invoice from our solicitor that is almost eye watering to say the least....second home stamp duty has a lot to answer for!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    May
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Sep 17, 3:37 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 375,779 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    I think these type of policies and indeed lots of the indemnity policies that are available nowadays are there in response to the culture that has sprung up over no win no fee...third party claims etc.

Back in the day when we bought our house we had a little gifted from the bank of mum and dad and no one batted an eyelid about it.
    I guess nowadays everyone wants to make sure that every loophole is covered so that in the event of any lawsuit everyone is covered.

We bought our 1st rental back in 2014 and were amazed at that point just how strict the solicitors checks were regarding proof of funds etc....and even this time the documentation of where funds have come from has left us needing to prove and prove again that the funds have been obtained fairly.

I do wonder if there is a legal obligation to take some of these policies out and having read the link in the article you posted wonder what would happen if your DD and her BF would have challenged the necessity of the policy ...but again with hindsight its easy to have these thoughts when at the time you will literally sign and pay for any document just to push the sale through especially when its so wanted and you will within reason do anything to ensure your sale or purchase goes through.

buying a property isn't cheap or as speedy as it used to be but thats a sign of the times that you have to cover yourselves for any future claim.

....and with that I've just received via email a draft invoice from our solicitor that is almost eye watering to say the least....second home stamp duty has a lot to answer for!
    Thankfully I didn't have to provide as much info as his parents did. The gifted money was in a savings account. But had only been there since the sale of mum's bungalow in 2014 but I didn't have to go that far back a copy of the most recent transactions in the savings book was enough. His parents on the other hand had to provide so many months bank statements.

It's one time I have been glad I kept the money in my name and not jointly with Mr TS even though it is "ours". He has no photo id so not sure how we would have got on about that, as I also had to show my passport which not that long ago I didn't have one either. Can't remember what ID I used in the end when selling mum's bungalow...

I can imagine eye watering fees, DDs and her BFs draft invoice is more than they first expected.

I did wonder if the insurance is absolutely necessary but it is better to be safe, I think the thing that gets me is you can't shop around for the policy at the last hurdle only yesterday were they aware of it. It sort of smacks a bit, is that the right saying?, of PPI. You are not told what it is exactly for and who is getting any commission from it etc.
    Last edited by Tinyshoes; 15-09-2017 at 3:39 PM.

• LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 56,791 Thanks
    LEJC

I did wonder if the insurance is absolutely necessary but it is better to be safe, I think the thing that gets me is you can't shop around for the policy at the last hurdle only yesterday were they aware of it. It sort of smacks a bit, is that the right saying?, of PPI. You are not told what it is exactly for and who is getting any commission from it etc.
    Many moons ago I was around when PPI came in to the frame as a wonderful cover policy....I too now wonder if in 20 years time it will be the indemnity mis selling that is going to be something people will be able to make a claim against....
    Jan £41.60/£40
    May
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 50,547 Posts
    • 581,134 Thanks
    bubbs
    Why is the aussies purchased in batches of 7s if on three 4 two?? Surely its better to get in 3s or am i missing something?? Tia
    Originally posted by mrs lds
    I'm confused as well.
    Originally posted by zippydooda
    I think he got confused as been doing 3's and had 7 on his brain for the sweets that didnt work
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    [COLOR="Magenta"]Stopped Smoking 22/01/15 -3 st 10 1/2 lb week 26
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin