Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 11,951Posts
    • 34,471Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 16th Jun 16 at 8:32 PM

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.

Last edited by redfox; 30-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Page 163
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 15th Jun 17, 7:33 PM
    • 14,650 Posts
    • 179,727 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Vroom, vroooooom then
    Originally posted by bubbs
    OMG...... did someone say free!
    Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Jun 17, 7:35 PM
    • 27,170 Posts
    • 373,392 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    I'm letting the side down I'm sat outside in the car at Dodo's Ts and it's probably whoopsie time. But I have really short shorts on.

I'm just dropping DD to her BF house and she wanted to stop for icecream...
    Birds flying high, You know how I feel, Sun in the sky, You know how I feel,
    Reeds driftin' on by, You know how I feel

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life, For me, And I'm feeling good...
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 15th Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    • 32,637 Posts
    • 439,511 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    I'm letting the side down I'm sat outside in the car at Dodo's Ts and it's probably whoopsie time. But I have really short shorts on.

Originally posted by Tinyshoes
    Wouldn't stop me
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • shogun 777
    • By shogun 777 15th Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    shogun 777
    One for 3Dogs list TESTED

3for2 AvS

OGX Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo 385ml £6.99 v £5.00
    OGX Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Conditioner £6.99 v £5.00
    OGX Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo 385ml £6.99 v £5.00

Cost £13.98 apg £7.47 works out roughly at £2.17 hth

Not sure if any of the others work.

Noticed some Toni and Guy in the 3for2 offer in A might work against Tesco 2 for £9.00 NOT TESTED
    • Saversue
    • By Saversue 15th Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 21,629 Thanks
    Saversue
    Good morning all....

Saver sue....call me cynical but I'm with Enterprise on this situation with the gardener.

My first thought was that he has an electrician friend who can do a full check of the house electrics and find lots that needs attending to.

Being involved in the rental market and hopefully being what I would hope was a responsible landlord,over the years I've come across many rogue handy people who will and sadly do take advantage.

Just to put things into perspective regarding electrics many many houses in the country are not up to current electrical regulations but that does not mean in any way that they are not safe....it just means that current regulations are not met.....
    We refurbished a property totally in 2012 and even though the whole house was completely rewired and took to the then required standard,because things have moved on its not now within standard....only minor things but it just means that if the property were rewired again today there would be a new set of rules to follow.

Most consumer units in properties will be "identified" as "not reaching standard if they are old style and over 20 years old.....it doesn't mean they dont work...indeed some houses go 50 or 60 years between rewiring but to the untrained or ill informed the consumer unit is an easy target for an electrician to suggest that its not performing as it should.
    The fact that this gardener seems to be tripping switches is without doubt to me an indication of where this might take you in the next few weeks....

The fact that he is not using his own electrical tools is also a pointer that perhaps he doesn't own any and as such therefore isn't responsible for PAT testing so yes if he suddenly gets an electric shock from something you have provided him to work with that you haven't arranged a PAT test on may lead him to utter the words "compensation for injury"

I'm not sure how you found the gardener or indeed if you get rid of him how easy it will be to replace him...but I think he's given you enough thoughts to consider terminating the arrangement or at least approaching him to find out that he holds the correct public liability insurance when working at your mums house.(my guess is he will not have this)

How is he paid?.....thats another pointer as to whether he has a legitimate business or is more of a cash in hand man to keep costs down.....do a bit of googling and you will be able to see if he pays vat etc.
    Anyone who is legitimate wont mind actually giving you details themselves!

Have you got age concern or saga representatives nearby...they usually hold a database of trusted local trades who work specifically with the elderly....its been a while since I have needed their advice so things might have changed but ask your social worker for details....maybe even explaining the situation to them to see if they have other reports of such instances in the area.

I know its probably another thing to deal with ontop of a mountain of other challenges that you already face with your mum,but I really think you should voice this through with someone who can at least give you some pointers on what current scams there are relating to the elderly.

It makes my blood boil that sometimes its the most vulnerable and caring in our society that are taken advantage of....I went through it with my mum and we came out relatively unscathed....but I've just been witness to someone trying a massive scam on my OH's parents that if we had not been vigilant would have seen them lose many tens of thousands of pounds whist abroad.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    Thanks for such a detailed and informative post.
    He gets paid cash-in-hand, is definitely not registered for VAT or Public Liability No Gardening qualifications and no aptitude to be a gardener from the mess he has made. He has no tools or equipment of his own.
    Only know his first name, that he lives and works locally and he has recently bought a house with his boyfriend who is much older and retired. They have 5 dogs - all little ones.

I like the idea of contacting Saga, Age Concern or Social Services to see if they can recommend anyone.
    I can't cope with the situation as it is and am truly afraid he is going to rip Mum off big style. I can feel it in my bones, there is something going on.

Have stressed over it all day. Don't know if I should report him for undeclared earnings, but sure he would know its me.

Sue, Like the others I too feel that this fellow is a dodgy character.
    My DH is a self employed handyman and until a few years ago he did gardening too, not now due to back trouble.
    He has/had public liability insurance, not VAT registered as his turnover was not that high.
    He always provided his own equipment and like most 'real' gardeners used petrol driven rather than electric. On the odd occasion he used something electric powered he always used his own circuit breaker.
    As regards the stone, DH would take away/dispose of waste when asked, anything that could be reused/might come in handy generally came home with him and I can remember having 3 large pieces of stone in the back yard for sometime. He would use things like that for other customers to save them money. (We still have 4 pieces of concrete edging that I refuse to use in the front garden!). Still waiting for the front to be repaved after he took up 2 of the paving slabs as one of his customers needed a base for her shed !
    He does seem to collect 'old ladies' but always seems to try hard to save them money. One poor dear once tried to give him £150 for a £25 job, he managed to get contact details for her sister and after that would only take payment from the sister.
    Originally posted by pippo
    He tried to take all the sandstone before I got to Mum's, but I caught him. Went to ask Mum what was going on and she said he had cleared a bit of the garden that was overgrown and found it and it was rubbish.
    The week before he asked me about clearing that bit and I said no there was other more important things to do. So told Mum it needed clearing when I wasn't there, and of course she agreed.
    He removed everything, including all the plants and left a bare patch. Took all the Sandstone to front drive and got his boyfriend to come and help him load it into their car, except it was too heavy and couldn't take it all at once. Which is how I caught him.
    Mum said he had kindly offered to Take It To The Tip and I was not to say anything to him when I objected.
    Complete pack of lies because No 1 Tip closed - Sunday evening; No 2 I believe the tip charges for this; No 3 he knew it was valuable; No 4 there was no reason to remove it from where it was.
    • tweets
    • By tweets 15th Jun 17, 7:38 PM
    • 28,234 Posts
    • 407,172 Thanks
    tweets

Originally posted by Tinyshoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_xXeP9ANrA
    Lost 3st-0.5lb
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Jun 17, 7:42 PM
    • 48,715 Posts
    • 567,215 Thanks
    bubbs
    Whoopsies tonight
    I'm particularly happy with the mushrooms cjj

Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    Gis them mush please
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-3 stone week 17
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    • 48,715 Posts
    • 567,215 Thanks
    bubbs
    OMG...... did someone say free!
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    They have been free all week
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-3 stone week 17
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 15th Jun 17, 7:46 PM
    • 32,637 Posts
    • 439,511 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Thanks for such a detailed and informative post.
    He gets paid cash-in-hand, is definitely not registered for VAT or Public Liability No Gardening qualifications and no aptitude to be a gardener from the mess he has made. He has no tools or equipment of his own.
    Only know his first name, that he lives and works locally and he has recently bought a house with his boyfriend who is much older and retired. They have 5 dogs - all little ones.

I like the idea of contacting Saga, Age Concern or Social Services to see if they can recommend anyone.
    I can't cope with the situation as it is and am truly afraid he is going to rip Mum off big style. I can feel it in my bones, there is something going on.

Have stressed over it all day. Don't know if I should report him for undeclared earnings, but sure he would know its me.

He tried to take all the sandstone before I got to Mum's, but I caught him. Went to ask Mum what was going on and she said he had cleared a bit of the garden that was overgrown and found it and it was rubbish.
    The week before he asked me about clearing that bit and I said no there was other more important things to do. So told Mum it needed clearing when I wasn't there, and of course she agreed.
    He removed everything, including all the plants and left a bare patch. Took all the Sandstone to front drive and got his boyfriend to come and help him load it into their car, except it was too heavy and couldn't take it all at once. Which is how I caught him.
    Mum said he had kindly offered to Take It To The Tip and I was not to say anything to him when I objected.
    Complete pack of lies because No 1 Tip closed - Sunday evening; No 2 I believe the tip charges for this; No 3 he knew it was valuable; No 4 there was no reason to remove it from where it was.
    Originally posted by Saversue
    Sorry Sue....I'm coming in late to this but can you let him know that you are wise to what's he's doing and frighten him off.

Is it worth contacting the police and voicing your suspicions?
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 15th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 14,650 Posts
    • 179,727 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I have not had the chance to go...... I am putting off doing work.... i need to shift my bum and stop procrastinating.... and do some work
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 7:49 PM
    • 16,018 Posts
    • 189,184 Thanks
    mhoc
    I want to join in the 342 fun but I dont know where to start - I keep looking at everyones lists in sdmiration but I cant figure out how much everything costs in real money.
    Also I cant think of anything we are desperate for but I suppose the mens deodarant or posh mens shower gel would be a good place to start

i could do with micellar cleansing water but Ive not seen it mentioned yet

We are near a bigger sada tommorow so I might take a couple of example lists with me to work from (as things are bound to be out of stock) I have APGs to print off - about nine pounders
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 16,018 Posts
    • 189,184 Thanks
    mhoc
    What has been free all week?????

confused
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 48,715 Posts
    • 567,215 Thanks
    bubbs
    I have not had the chance to go...... I am putting off doing work.... i need to shift my bum and stop procrastinating.... and do some work
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    They will finish tomorrow
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-3 stone week 17
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 48,715 Posts
    • 567,215 Thanks
    bubbs
    What has been free all week?????

confused
    Originally posted by mhoc
    David beckham spray
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-3 stone week 17
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Jun 17, 7:52 PM
    • 48,715 Posts
    • 567,215 Thanks
    bubbs
    I want to join in the 342 fun but I dont know where to start - I keep looking at everyones lists in sdmiration but I cant figure out how much everything costs in real money.
    Also I cant think of anything we are desperate for but I suppose the mens deodarant or posh mens shower gel would be a good place to start

i could do with micellar cleansing water but Ive not seen it mentioned yet

We are near a bigger sada tommorow so I might take a couple of example lists with me to work from (as things are bound to be out of stock) I have APGs to print off - about nine pounders
    Originally posted by mhoc
    Dont think thats in 3 4 2
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-3 stone week 17
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 15th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    • 14,650 Posts
    • 179,727 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    They will finish tomorrow
    I am not going to get a chance to get any

sob sob sob

• Saversue
    • By Saversue 15th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 21,629 Thanks
    Saversue
    Some people are awful.
    Elderly neighbour had a similar thing with gardener, he was flogging the broken tools at car boots when they where supposed to be broke and she was buying new ones. Of course he had a mate that could supply them st a good price, poor lady totally riped of. Only discovered when oh offered to take a petrol mower to scrap yard and gardener got aggressive so oh checked it and it had been disabled.
    Originally posted by rhosynbach
    How true.
    Gardener said he would take my hedge trimmers home and try to fix them. I asked him what he was going to do and he said open it up and reconnect the wire inside. I said that will make the wire far too short; and I would take them and put electric blocks in to reconnect the wires and then insulating tape securely around.
    Looked at me in amazement and said, but you have to be a qualified electrician to do that
    Are you? I asked, because that's a sealed unit you are suggesting opening up!!! Touche!
    Last edited by Saversue; 15-06-2017 at 9:10 PM.
    • rhosynbach
    • By rhosynbach 15th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    • 7,296 Posts
    • 113,680 Thanks
    rhosynbach
    We couldnt rent it to people we dont know, its too treasured, its in a beautiful spot up in the mountains, the views are to die for.

The village where we are have around 20 houses, its not a village really but a little road. I would say there are 3 houses that are holiday homes, the rest are lived in permanently by welsh residents.

The 3 houses for sale, are not even expensive houses so I have no idea why they have not even had any views.

There is no way we would rent it out to others, especially people we dont know. We do let it out but mainly to friends and family.

We go every single weekend without fail, and I use it all through the summer holidays and school half terms, easter etc.

Just wish there was a way around it.
    Originally posted by Sarahdol75
    sarah it must be hard and I know how much you love being here, the council where discussing 100% rise but settled on the 50% I do agree its unfair espeacily when you dont use all the services, its meant to stop the rising increase in holiday homes as gwynedd has the most in wales, I think all it will do is drive out the normal people that work hard for their little bit of wales and we will have more areas like abersoch full of wealthy people in their own little communities,
    and if people here want to buy houses they can we did , my dd has and my son is, none of us have high payed jobs but we work hard and saved. its wrong that people blame the tourists xx
    Last edited by rhosynbach; 15-06-2017 at 8:20 PM.
    • rhosynbach
    • By rhosynbach 15th Jun 17, 8:15 PM
    • 7,296 Posts
    • 113,680 Thanks
    rhosynbach
    catching up backwards. sorry to hear your dad poorly again snap hope he makes a speedy recovery xxx

mhoc so pleased things are on the up with errant son, love hearing your family tales hope he loves the job. xx
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 15th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    • 16,413 Posts
    • 277,935 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Dont think I have any on mine! I can not understand how to prune them correctly, it goes right over my head, so I am probably doing it wrong. I did get a couple of bunches last year, but they were not up to much, might replace it with a variety that I know is an eater, as not sure if currant () one is a wine or eaty type.
    That stuff on the cherry tree must be working, I dont think they usually last until that red with the birds about.
    Originally posted by davemorton
    We really struggled with pruning my grape vine this year. In the end we left 3 or 4 main branches and cut everything else back. Seems to have worked wonders because there's tons of grapes on there now

I came back with ONE single solitary cherry today

I also came back with another 2kg of strawberries add that to the 1.5kg I came home with on Tuesday

Raspberries are doing very well as are redcurrants and I've got black currants ripening up now too
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...

Attempt number 7854- W1-3 -6lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,512Posts Today

9,333Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin