Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 11,884Posts
    • 34,378Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 16th Jun 16 at 8:32 PM

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.

Last edited by redfox; 30-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Page 161
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 5:22 PM
    • 15,795 Posts
    • 187,433 Thanks
    mhoc
    Feeling loved

They came with various £20% off coupons too. wasn't sure if the number on them was personal to me so didn't take full pic of them all...

And 4 x £8 off £40 spend at waities . No pic of them as they have got my name on.

Also local for me got these

TM and DM will get bit excited there with some bare flesh.
    Originally posted by Tinyshoes
    free hot drink in Marks - why are you special? Have you been using your sparks card recently? Ive got the 20% vouchers and the invite for tomorrows shindig which I am not getting over excited by.
    Ive also got a £5 voucher to spend on anything .... no idea what yet
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • pippo
    • By pippo 15th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 27,205 Thanks
    pippo

I'm the same LEJC, but I'm tempted.........
    Originally posted by Chrisv
    I'm also very tempted too, and I will need moisturiser in a month or 2!
    Toiletries/cosmetics In 31 Out 60 - cost £9.24
    Clothes etc In 12 Out 42
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 27,124 Posts
    • 372,987 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    our cherries are still very green, at least a week off turning. Mind you we don't get to eat many, even now the blackbirds are amassing and awaiting for them to turn ...
    Originally posted by mhoc
    This is first year we have had more than 3 fairly new tree but Mr TS is trying this trick no idea if it will work.

Birds flying high, You know how I feel, Sun in the sky, You know how I feel,
    Reeds driftin' on by, You know how I feel

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life, For me, And I'm feeling good...
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 15th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    • 35,300 Posts
    • 148,982 Thanks
    silvercar
    The entire job application nightmare is very convoluted. Ive not really had to go through it before with any of mine - Eldest child has been gone since she was 18, eldest sons army applications just took a long time to go through the various steps.
    Errant son when he was finishing uni he only did 2 interviews before getting his first placement and even last summer when he came back to the UK he had an interview lined up and that was that.
    So this was our first full on experience of the process - we had 2 months of job applications, completing forms and sending off CVs and checking websites, waiting for calls and emails, attending interviews from Edinburgh to Kent to deepest Wales - it does take over your life. I know many people are in the midst of this for 6, 12 months even longer - every time you get rejected you can more and more dejected and depressed ...
    We went through this. It is very draining on the whole family.

Don't give in and take them on holiday - that way lies madness. You will end up paying for everything - even travel insurance and bar bills
    We had one last holiday with all 3 of ours about 7 years ago ... it was just about manageable because during the days they just vanished and kept themselves amused. We have taken Eldest chid away for a couple of days - that was long enough.
    I would love to treat mine to a holiday, but they are not interested.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 15th Jun 17, 5:28 PM
    • 35,300 Posts
    • 148,982 Thanks
    silvercar
    This is first year we have had more than 3 fairly new tree but Mr TS is trying this trick no idea if it will work.

We planted a cherry tree 5 years ago, but are yet to see a single cherry.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 15th Jun 17, 5:29 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 6,383 Thanks
    house elf
    Don't give in and take them on holiday - that way lies madness. You will end up paying for everything - even travel insurance and bar bills
    We had one last holiday with all 3 of ours about 7 years ago ... it was just about manageable because during the days they just vanished and kept themselves amused. We have taken Eldest chid away for a couple of days - that was long enough.
    Agreed! They moved in to DS1 room to save up for trip to Florida last summer. GF parents took them. We paid for park tickets for his birthday. (They seem to have forgotten they were saving up and took out a loan instead!). They spend all their money on Uber and takeaways. I despair! Bet they will even forget it's Fathers Day this weekend!

Taking DS2. May be our last holiday with him before he flies the nest.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    • 27,124 Posts
    • 372,987 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    free hot drink in Marks - why are you special? Have you been using your sparks card recently? Ive got the 20% vouchers and the invite for tomorrows shindig which I am not getting over excited by.
    Ive also got a £5 voucher to spend on anything .... no idea what yet
    No idea mhoc it's the first mailing I have had from Sparks with anything exciting, only previously ever had one mailing when they did the 20% friends and family while back. I have only just recently gone over the 5000 points mark so don't know if that is my my specialness.

My £5 off is for a £30 spend on bras and knickers, they have obviously been monitoring my buying. But all those cheap ones I got earlier in the year I didn't even get to £30 and certainly don't need anymore.

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life, For me, And I'm feeling good...
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 15th Jun 17, 5:33 PM
    • 18,137 Posts
    • 192,957 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Feeling loved

They came with various £20% off coupons too. wasn't sure if the number on them was personal to me so didn't take full pic of them all...

And 4 x £8 off £40 spend at waities . No pic of them as they have got my name on.

Also local for me got these

TM and DM will get bit excited there with some bare flesh.
    I've got those sparks vouchers too

Pretry sure I am nowhere near 5000 points.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Jun 17, 5:35 PM
    • 27,124 Posts
    • 372,987 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    We planted a cherry tree 5 years ago, but are yet to see a single cherry.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    This is it's third year silvercar, it has been planted in the middle of where the trampoline used to be you can still see the frame that hasn't been taken out yet. It will end up having some use in the garden I expect...

• Sarahdol75
    • By Sarahdol75 15th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 6,199 Posts
    • 82,962 Thanks
    Sarahdol75
    It is such a very hard and difficult one to advise you on Sarah....I know that in my case I would have quite easily preserved my gem in a cocoon if I could have.... contents and all!
    In the end the only way forward was renovate and rent....contents went to storage and thats an expensive luxury that even 5 years on I'm not ready to part with.

The memories are still in the house for me.....and it's providing a stability for the future too...just someone else borrows it on a day to day basis.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    Iunderstand what you mean, but this is our bolthole for the weekend, and I mean every weekend.
    Walk 2000 miles in a year challenge 2017 -

229.37 January
    222.5 February
    218.80 March
    290.10 April
    248.49 May

Completed Race for Life 25 June 2017

A huge thankyou to everyone who sponsored me
    • pippo
    • By pippo 15th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 27,205 Thanks
    pippo
    I am So So angry IO know in the greater scheme of things happening at the moment it's not important, but someone trying to pull the wool/ diddle my Mum is really upsetting.

Haven't trusted her gardener for a bit, a few weeks ago took a load of Sandstone (as he was clearing a bit of the garden - more like decimating it) and said he was taking it to the tip - No Way.

Then he said she had mice in garage - checked it, no sign of mice - put bait down etc, not touched, but he still insists he keeps finding live mice and they are chewing things, haven't worked what he is up to there.

Couple of weeks ago he said her hedge trimmers had packed in and could I
    get some new ones.
    Took mine which have only been used twice. He used them last week, then today said they weren't working :eek :when he got them out.
    I asked to look at them and the wire had nearly been cut through.
    When I said so, he said, no must have been the mice, Couldn't I see where they had been chewed ? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS.
    Said nothing to Mum because she has told me to stop complaining to her about him as it upsets her too much.

Next thing, there's a crash outside house, neighbour doing a U-turn hit a motorbike - police and ambulance called. Couldn't believe it when police said there would be no further action, just an incident number for insurance. Bike driver refused hospital, though hurt, and recovery vehicle came to take bike away.

Gardener comes to get paid and tells Mum about "mice" chewing wire of hedge trimmers.
    Now Mum is Old, In Poor Health and Very Frail, but even she says it doesn't look like mice. Gardener insists it is, as otherwise he'd of got an electric shock. I tell him No because it's a fuse board with safety features (can't remember what they are called)

About an hour after he goes I decide to check freezer in garage - and it's OFF Check fuse box and it's tripped for the circuit where he plugs into in the garage.

So lucky I checked it, otherwise 6ft high freezer contents all ruined.
    Originally posted by Saversue
    Sue, Like the others I too feel that this fellow is a dodgy character.
    My DH is a self employed handyman and until a few years ago he did gardening too, not now due to back trouble.
    He has/had public liability insurance, not VAT registered as his turnover was not that high.
    He always provided his own equipment and like most 'real' gardeners used petrol driven rather than electric. On the odd occasion he used something electric powered he always used his own circuit breaker.
    As regards the stone, DH would take away/dispose of waste when asked, anything that could be reused/might come in handy generally came home with him and I can remember having 3 large pieces of stone in the back yard for sometime. He would use things like that for other customers to save them money. (We still have 4 pieces of concrete edging that I refuse to use in the front garden!). Still waiting for the front to be repaved after he took up 2 of the paving slabs as one of his customers needed a base for her shed !
    He does seem to collect 'old ladies' but always seems to try hard to save them money. One poor dear once tried to give him £150 for a £25 job, he managed to get contact details for her sister and after that would only take payment from the sister.
    Clothes etc In 12 Out 42
    • pippo
    • By pippo 15th Jun 17, 5:50 PM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 27,205 Thanks
    pippo
    The Yardley pink and blue and the Aveno are still working, despite the Yardley not being labelled as 342.
    Clothes etc In 12 Out 42
    • tbw
    • By tbw 15th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    • 4,696 Posts
    • 53,388 Thanks
    tbw
    This one should work out at £1.25 for 3 if on 3for2 instore. Pay £11, apg £9.75. so 42p each.

Originally posted by Chrisv
    Not on 3 4 2 in my store - at least, not according to the miserable moo of a Supervisor that I asked to check them for me !!! She was even moaning about me to the check out lady.
    ELITE 5:2
    # 42
    11st2lbs down to 9st2lbs - another 5lbs gone due to alcohol abuse (head down toilet syndrome)
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 15th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 47,954 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Just to say Johnnie Walker Double Black is £33 down to £28 on website but was £17 instore - DD just bought one.

No idea if national.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91

• Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 27,124 Posts
    • 372,987 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Just doing a bit of research on my picks,

these are on offer and in my picks, £1.53 for 20 meatballs

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=72302

• davemorton
    • By davemorton 15th Jun 17, 6:37 PM
    • 25,110 Posts
    • 296,915 Thanks
    davemorton
    And looks like I might be going into the business of making wine not buying it.

From the chateau

Dont think I have any on mine! I can not understand how to prune them correctly, it goes right over my head, so I am probably doing it wrong. I did get a couple of bunches last year, but they were not up to much, might replace it with a variety that I know is an eater, as not sure if currant () one is a wine or eaty type.
    That stuff on the cherry tree must be working, I dont think they usually last until that red with the birds about.
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Jun 17, 6:39 PM
    • 48,008 Posts
    • 561,786 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all
    Not caught up yet
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-2 stone 8 1/2 lb week 13
    • aau1
    • By aau1 15th Jun 17, 6:45 PM
    • 18,699 Posts
    • 322,671 Thanks
    aau1
    Just doing a bit of research on my picks,

these are on offer and in my picks, £1.53 for 20 meatballs

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=72302
    and with 65p cb on GJ
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • Saversue
    • By Saversue 15th Jun 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 21,196 Thanks
    Saversue
    Saversue.

Keep your eye out in your mum's area for another gardener, ask at the house they're working on about them.
    Then get rid of the existing one as he sounds a problem!

Good idea

Morning peeps.
    Originally posted by curl girl
    saversue I have a gardener and he uses his own equipment . I cant understand why your mums doesn't. Wish you lived nearer I would recommend mine to your mum.
    Glad you spotted the fuse box had tripped otherwise you would have been annoyed,
    Originally posted by tweets

He never uses own equipment. Is not really a professional gardener. Was recommended to Mum by one of her friends after last one died suddenly. Found pout he works in a very small local Co-Op, by accident - went in there one day when Mum was in hospital - and he just does "gardening" on the side.
    Glad you spotted the fuse box had tripped otherwise you would have been annoyed,[/QUOTE]

Good morning all, beautiful day here.

Sue, hope things improve for you xx

Rose, it is all their problem, don't let them get to you, not easy I know but focus on what you will eventually get out of this xx

We have seen cables that have been chewed by mice, it is very obvious.

He will probably soon appear with a mate who will get rid of the "mice" for a very high fee, either that or he will get an "electric shock" and ask your mum to pay or he will sue.

I agree, he has to go. I am another one amazed he does not use his own equipment, and sandstone is expensive, he would have got good money for that.

Could you just tell your mum a little white lie, say you don't feel safe around him or something? Preferably with the largest muscle man you can find nearby for protection?
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    I entirely agree with you.

Hate the man and want to call him a liar to his face and tell him where to go. Would do so in a heartbeat, but Mum would have a meltdown , blame me a probably end up back in hospital.
    Can't tell her a white lie because she knows I want to get rid of him, unfortunately she only sees the best in people and hasn't believed me when I tell her what he's doing, ruined her garden for one.
    This is the first time she thinks I am right, but has told me to keep quiet.

I know the difference between a wire chewed by a mouse and one cut through with a hedge trimmer and know exactly what he was going to do with the Sandstone.

Think he either wants paying to clear the garage or has spotted something in there worth money, or both - hence the non existent mice.
    He keeps telling me they have eaten all the bait I have put down, but there are no mice alive or dead, no droppings, nothing chewed and the bait is always there when I check. It only vanishes when he's been.

He has already brought mates in to fit a new side and garage door, do some decorating and clean out the gutters. Mum always agrees to this when I'm not there. He rings her up and says that her knows someone who can fix/do such and such.

Beginning to get really worried about his motives in pretending to befriend Mum.
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    • 27,124 Posts
    • 372,987 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Dont think I have any on mine! I can not understand how to prune them correctly, it goes right over my head, so I am probably doing it wrong. I did get a couple of bunches last year, but they were not up to much, might replace it with a variety that I know is an eater, as not sure if currant () one is a wine or eaty type.
    That stuff on the cherry tree must be working, I dont think they usually last until that red with the birds about.
    Originally posted by davemorton
    Mr TS is the expert pruner, I will have to get him to give you lessons.

I think I put a pic of the vine down the community garden last year it will have had the same treatment and lbs of them. Only tiny grapes on the outside vine at the moment, it is a bit early.

Just strands of net curtain tied to the tree, only problem this year is rats I'm afraid. Since next door got their decking last year we seem to have a major problem they have been told but think other neighbour might also have them living as hole dug under from their side that Mr TS has filled back in. That neighbour has enough on his plate as his poor wife had a stroke and he is full time carer so Mr TS just keeps putting the traps down with success. We are the only garden for miles with anything for the bloomin boogers to eat.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,840Posts Today

8,914Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin