Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 11,962Posts
    • 34,506Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 16th Jun 16 at 8:32 PM

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.

Last edited by redfox; 30-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Page 160
    • tweets
    • By tweets 15th Jun 17, 4:10 PM
    • 28,262 Posts
    • 407,440 Thanks
    tweets
    Good Afternoon

Snap (((X)))

Been to Mr T found the tin openers but they the new style so not cheaper so I didn't buy one because they not

Been another nice day but had a breeze which made it cooler
    Lost 3st-0.5lb
    • Sarahdol75
    • By Sarahdol75 15th Jun 17, 4:10 PM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 83,708 Thanks
    Sarahdol75
    this is such a shame. Is the house suitable for renting out for a few weeks in the summer to cover this or could you let out some airbandb rooms - i expect as a family home you might not want strangers there
    Originally posted by mhoc
    We couldnt rent it to people we dont know, its too treasured, its in a beautiful spot up in the mountains, the views are to die for.

The problem is that sometimes the houses are just too expensive for locals to afford hence them being for sale for so long...or vendors setting the price too high in the first place.

My sister lives in a very coastal holiday haven where it thrives during the summer months but is almost empty during the winter...she loves where she lives but does say it's changed even over the last 10 years and can be quite soul less when theres not many people around....she often says their village needs inhabitants for 7 nights a week not 3 to survive and be a community.

I guess the council want to ensure that the village has a community spirit all year round hence the increase in charges.
    I can see this from both sides and its very difficult to go one way or the other but I think the council is in the position of capitalising on the need to obtain revenue the whole year round hence the increased fees.

Its not unusual for empty property add ons to be charged in any part of the country now....even city places.

Is renting an option even if you did something like just 6 month tenancies or even went down the holiday let route?
    Again it's easy for someone to say "rent the property out" but I guess you have to also factor in the costs to do it and whether you self manage or via an agent...of course whilst renting out it wouldn't also provide you with somewhere to retreat to at the weekend. You have to think yourself to be quite lucky to have the luxury of a weekend bolthole....and I really dont mean that in a condescending way...its just that the council now also want you to pay for the privilege too.

I also really get the bit that your place is very important to you,and assume it was a cherished family home....I've got one like that,it's been in my family since it was built at the beginning of the century.....it would have killed me to sell it,and if I'm honest the only way to keep it going was to modernise and rent it out....but I still cannot go into it whilst tenants are there...OH needs to do all the communicating with them on day to day things like visits/inspections and I only ever see it empty once they have moved out.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    The village where we are have around 20 houses, its not a village really but a little road. I would say there are 3 houses that are holiday homes, the rest are lived in permanently by welsh residents.

The 3 houses for sale, are not even expensive houses so I have no idea why they have not even had any views.

There is no way we would rent it out to others, especially people we dont know. We do let it out but mainly to friends and family.

We go every single weekend without fail, and I use it all through the summer holidays and school half terms, easter etc.

Just wish there was a way around it.
    Walk 2000 miles in a year challenge 2017 -

229.37 January
    222.5 February
    218.80 March
    290.10 April
    248.49 May

Completed Race for Life 25 June 2017

A huge thankyou to everyone who sponsored me
    • xxlouisexx56
    • By xxlouisexx56 15th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 29,305 Thanks
    xxlouisexx56
    Morrisons
    1x ASDA SmartPrice Toffee Bag (250g) £0.33 N/A
    1x Wham Raspberry Flavoured Bar (16g) £0.10 N/A
    1x Haribo Mega Party Minis Multipack 11 Pack (200g) £1.00 N/A
    1x MAOAM Giant Strawberry Stripes (1pk) £0.10 £0.10
    1x ASDA Smartprice Pasta Shapes (500g) £0.29 N/A
    1x Haribo Starmix (1pk) £0.10 £0.10
    1x Swizzels Refreshers Original Lemon Flavour (18g) £0.10 £0.10
    3x David Beckham Homme Deodorant Spray (150ml) £15.00 £4.50
    1x Barratt Flumps (12g) £0.10 £0.10
    1x ASDA Green Pesto (190g) £0.98 £1.00
    Comparison total (compared products only) £16.38 £5.90
    +£10.48 cheaper
    For your information:
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 15th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    • 3,725 Posts
    • 71,992 Thanks
    Chrisv
    Hi Bubbs,
    Simple in 243 @ A
    Kind to skin vital vitamin day cream £5.50 - £2.50 in Ts
    HTH, can post a picture later if you need it.
    Originally posted by pippo
    This one should work out at £1.25 for 3 if on 3for2 instore. Pay £11, apg £9.75. so 42p each.

Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
    • izzeyb
    • By izzeyb 15th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 83,224 Thanks
    izzeyb
    Asda Morrisons
    1x Walkers Salt & Vinegar Crisps (6x25g) £1.50 £1.50
    1x Wham Raspberry Flavoured Bar (16g) £0.10 N/A
    0.82x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Banana (order by number of bananas or select kg) (per kg) £0.59 £0.59
    1x MAOAM Giant Strawberry Stripes (1pk) £0.10 £0.10
    1x Haribo Tangfastics Minis 11 Pack (200g) £1.00 £1.40
    1x Swizzels Refreshers Original Lemon Flavour (18g) £0.10 £0.10
    1x ASDA 20 Single Lighter Cheese Slices (400g) £1.75 N/A
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Cucumber (each) £0.50 N/A
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Iceberg Lettuce (each) £0.50 £0.42
    1x Barratt Flumps (12g) £0.10 £0.10
    Comparison total (compared products only) £18.89 £8.71
    +£10.18 cheaper
    For your information:
    Originally posted by xxlouisexx56

Have you been able to print your voucher yet please?

It let me check my Beckham shop this morning but I am still getting the techie wizzards message. Thanks.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Jun 17, 4:21 PM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 55,744 Thanks
    LEJC
    This one should work out at £1.25 for 3 if on 3for2 instore. Pay £11, apg £9.75. so 42p each.

Originally posted by Chrisv
    Dear Chris
    Please stop enticing me with face creams....I have far too many but at 42p each I could be easily persuaded.....

lots of love
    LEJC xx
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 102 out 86 in ...£13.96 spend
    • two yellow roses
    • By two yellow roses 15th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    two yellow roses
    Although to be fair it is very expensive for any of the younger generation to step onto the property ladder wherever they live nowadays.

Back when we bought our house it was difficult,but not something that was a pipedream.....the cost of buying now seems to be so much more and not quite the equilibrium between house prices and wages that it may have been a generation before.
    Its cheaper to buy than to rent in most of the UK.

When I bought in 'the 80's my old man thought I was "mad" paying first £10k for a terrace, then even "madder" when paying £30k for a detached.

My son is looking at £200k for his first place, but he will have a great deposit and a mortgage around 3.5%.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 55,744 Thanks
    LEJC
    We couldnt rent it to people we dont know, its too treasured.

Just wish there was a way around it.
    Originally posted by Sarahdol75
    It is such a very hard and difficult one to advise you on Sarah....I know that in my case I would have quite easily preserved my gem in a cocoon if I could have.... contents and all!
    In the end the only way forward was renovate and rent....contents went to storage and thats an expensive luxury that even 5 years on I'm not ready to part with.

The memories are still in the house for me.....and it's providing a stability for the future too...just someone else borrows it on a day to day basis.
    Jan £41.60/£40
    May
    • two yellow roses
    • By two yellow roses 15th Jun 17, 4:30 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    two yellow roses
    Morrisons

For your information:
    Originally posted by xxlouisexx56
    May I ask the time of your shop?
    TIA
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 15th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    • 3,725 Posts
    • 71,992 Thanks
    Chrisv
    Dear Chris
    Please stop enticing me with face creams....I have far too many but at 42p each I could be easily persuaded.....

lots of love
    LEJC xx

I'm the same LEJC, but I'm tempted.........
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Jun 17, 4:38 PM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 55,744 Thanks
    LEJC

When I bought in 'the 80's my old man thought I was "mad" paying first £10k for a terrace, then even "madder" when paying £30k for a detached.

My son is looking at £200k for his first place, but he will have a great deposit and a mortgage around 3.5%.
    Originally posted by two yellow roses
    but renting and buying are two different things and suit different people.

I would never have rented,to us it was not an option....but there are people who dont want to own for many differing reasons hence the rental market.

I would always encourage someone to buy if they can,but quite simply the rental market offers lots of people the security of living somewhere hopefully maintenance free and without the commitment of being tethered to a property or mortgage long term
    Jan £41.60/£40
    May
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    • 16,054 Posts
    • 189,492 Thanks
    mhoc
    Good Afternoon,

Feels like morning to me! After 3 days back at work, I have caught a sickness bug and have been in bed all day.

I feel a bit like 'Errant Son' mhoc. Found a job opportunity on line this week, and have spent a lot of time emailing agency back and forth.....CV, interview dates, uncertainty, etc.

Interview was supposed to be today, but too ill to go. It seems that after all that fretting, it was not to be. (Wasn't too keen on the school anyway!), but would have been good interview practice. Ho hum.

I can hear our DS1 and GF getting ready for work. Our paths don't cross much, as they work in bars and are usually out or asleep when we are home, but I share many your feelings of irritation. The latest being that they wanted us to take them on holiday! Is it not enough that they live rent free, don't pay for food, have free lifts and a maid and butler who cleans up after them!!!!!!!! I suggested they go outside school holiday time, just the two of them, and visit DD in Greece. It would be far cheaper and much more fun........now they are not speaking to me!
    Originally posted by house elf
    The entire job application nightmare is very convoluted. Ive not really had to go through it before with any of mine - Eldest child has been gone since she was 18, eldest sons army applications just took a long time to go through the various steps.
    Errant son when he was finishing uni he only did 2 interviews before getting his first placement and even last summer when he came back to the UK he had an interview lined up and that was that.
    So this was our first full on experience of the process - we had 2 months of job applications, completing forms and sending off CVs and checking websites, waiting for calls and emails, attending interviews from Edinburgh to Kent to deepest Wales - it does take over your life. I know many people are in the midst of this for 6, 12 months even longer - every time you get rejected you can more and more dejected and depressed ...

Don't give in and take them on holiday - that way lies madness. You will end up paying for everything - even travel insurance and bar bills
    We had one last holiday with all 3 of ours about 7 years ago ... it was just about manageable because during the days they just vanished and kept themselves amused. We have taken Eldest chid away for a couple of days - that was long enough.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 27,177 Posts
    • 373,478 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Thought we all might need cheering up so here's my red cherries

Birds flying high, You know how I feel, Sun in the sky, You know how I feel,
    Reeds driftin' on by, You know how I feel

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life, For me, And I'm feeling good...
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Jun 17, 5:04 PM
    • 27,177 Posts
    • 373,478 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    And looks like I might be going into the business of making wine not buying it.

From the chateau

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life, For me, And I'm feeling good...
    • xxlouisexx56
    • By xxlouisexx56 15th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 29,305 Thanks
    xxlouisexx56
    Have you been able to print your voucher yet please?

It let me check my Beckham shop this morning but I am still getting the techie wizzards message. Thanks.
    Originally posted by izzeyb
    No I get the same message as you, I can check the comparison, just not get the actual voucher.

Hopefully it fixes tonight as I want to go to a different store tomorrow when I go to meet my friend
    • xxlouisexx56
    • By xxlouisexx56 15th Jun 17, 5:13 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 29,305 Thanks
    xxlouisexx56
    May I ask the time of your shop?
    TIA
    11 am or there about
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 16,054 Posts
    • 189,492 Thanks
    mhoc

Where Eldest child lives which is an hour out of London so very much in commuter belt £300 k would get you a one bedroom modern box flat.
    They are quite unusual amongst their friends in renting their own flat (rent at neatly £1000 a month ) Most of their friends are still living in house shares, even couples in their early 30s.

Technically we are in the outer belt of commuter land - there is a small army of people catching 7.30 trains and doing the hour and a half journey via Virgin trains into London and back again at night
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • Tinyshoes
    • By Tinyshoes 15th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 27,177 Posts
    • 373,478 Thanks
    Tinyshoes
    Feeling loved

They came with various £20% off coupons too. wasn't sure if the number on them was personal to me so didn't take full pic of them all...

And 4 x £8 off £40 spend at waities . No pic of them as they have got my name on.

Also local for me got these

TM and DM will get bit excited there with some bare flesh.

• mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    • 16,054 Posts
    • 189,492 Thanks
    mhoc
    Thought we all might need cheering up so here's my red cherries

Originally posted by Tinyshoes
    our cherries are still very green, at least a week off turning. Mind you we don't get to eat many, even now the blackbirds are amassing and awaiting for them to turn ...
    • pippo
    • By pippo 15th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    • 2,743 Posts
    • 27,664 Thanks
    pippo
    he is not a reformed character - have to see how it goes over the next 6 months
    Originally posted by mhoc
    He may not be a reformed character, but he certainly is a character and a grafter.
    Toiletries/cosmetics In 31 Out 62 - cost £9.24
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,070Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin