Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 11,886Posts
    • 34,379Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 16th Jun 16 at 8:32 PM

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.

Last edited by redfox; 30-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Page 159
    • Busylizzie
    • By Busylizzie 15th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 39,831 Thanks
    Busylizzie
    Wondered if there would be any reduced plants left at B & Q. I needn't have worried, there were loads - geraniums, marigolds, petunias, begonias, fuchsias etc. Thanks to OP's

Also popped into Homebase on way home and got a tray of FREE plants - very, very sorry for themselves so we will see.......
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 15,795 Posts
    • 187,433 Thanks
    mhoc
    Mrs aau1's Nectar account shows a 1,000 bonus point offer on virgin east coast booking ...no min spend

Nothing on my account
    Originally posted by aau1
    I've got the same on my nectar - it just said Virgin trains but when you click on it its actually East coast. I've also got 500 points for an East coast booking but I don't think they will give me both - screen shots needed I think.

OH has none - now I am wondering if his nectar is linked up to any train services .... have to check.

we both have 4 x points for Tu purchases which will go nicely with the till spits - spend £30 on Tu get 8p off fuel - pity the clothing is so badly fitting. And various triple point till spits.

also 200 points for a sainsburys local purchase on both.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    • 8,644 Posts
    • 54,573 Thanks
    LEJC
    My goodness mhoc...it's been all go in your household on the job and holiday front .....but its sorted now and hopefully you can look forward to less choppy waters going forward.

And I guess whilst it came as a bolt from the blue that Errant went off to HK....at least he did get to spend a little time with his new wife and he does seem to be trying to provide for the two of them and the future that they have...he's certainly not work shy your boy!
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 78 out 79 in ...£13.96 spend
    • pippo
    • By pippo 15th Jun 17, 1:55 PM
    • 2,694 Posts
    • 27,208 Thanks
    pippo
    Morning all
    I'm at work and signal poor but can I ask again if anyone is going A's can they please make a note what simple is in 3 4 2 as some now half price in t, thank you x
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Hi Bubbs,
    Simple in 243 @ A
    Regeneration age resisting Wipes £3 - £3.00 in Ts
    Regeneration age resisting day cream £4 - £5 in Ts
    Regeneration age resisting night cream £4 - £5 in Ts
    Kind to skin vital vitamin day cream £5.50 - £2.50 in Ts
    HTH, can post a picture later if you need it.
    Last edited by pippo; 15-06-2017 at 2:15 PM. Reason: To add T's prices
    Toiletries/cosmetics In 31 Out 60 - cost £9.24
    Clothes etc In 12 Out 42
    • pippo
    • By pippo 15th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 2,694 Posts
    • 27,208 Thanks
    pippo
    Off to make a cuppa then have a sit down to catch up with the mhoc family saga.
    Clothes etc In 12 Out 42
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 2:02 PM
    • 15,795 Posts
    • 187,433 Thanks
    mhoc
    Off to make a cuppa then have a sit down to catch up with the mhoc family saga.
    Originally posted by pippo
    make a pot and get out all of the biscuits and cake as well
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 2:11 PM
    • 15,795 Posts
    • 187,433 Thanks
    mhoc
    My goodness mhoc...it's been all go in your household on the job and holiday front .....but its sorted now and hopefully you can look forward to less choppy waters going forward.

And I guess whilst it came as a bolt from the blue that Errant went off to HK....at least he did get to spend a little time with his new wife and he does seem to be trying to provide for the two of them and the future that they have...he's certainly not work shy your boy!
    Originally posted by LEJC
    very true, I am hoping that it will all settle now and we have minimal drama. It wont be a 9 to 5 life but this is how its always been here, everyone doing different shifts, coming and going at all hours of the day and week but we have always coped.

Errant son also has to do all of his food standard qualifications online for the hotel job - never had to do them previously.
    Also for his full time job there is an entire raft of online courses and exams to complete - child safety and procedures courses etc so thats going to keep him occupied in any down time he has for months to come.
    All this is extra in his own time and unpaid.
    • pippo
    • By pippo 15th Jun 17, 2:22 PM
    • 2,694 Posts
    • 27,208 Thanks
    pippo
    I like the idea of our kids being jointly owned and how we all try to look out for them and give them our combined expertise and experience in whatever the weeks dilemma is wether it be car insurance or work based problems or house buying knowledge etc ...

And if any of our combined offspring end up at any of our nearby uni - we have several within a small radius, when they inevitably get home sick but home is 3 trains and 4 hours away they are quite welcome to come to us for a family cooked meal (we already make meals for a battalion) , a clean fragrant shower in a posh bathroom, a clean newly bed for the night with freshly changed linen, some rubbish TV and endless cat cuddles (proxy parents but with minimal nagging)
    Originally posted by mhoc
    Lovely idea
    Clothes etc In 12 Out 42
    • Sarahdol75
    • By Sarahdol75 15th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 6,200 Posts
    • 82,967 Thanks
    Sarahdol75
    Wow Mhoc, your son certainly has been busy, I do think you need to rename him now though.
    Walk 2000 miles in a year challenge 2017 -

229.37 January
    222.5 February
    218.80 March
    290.10 April
    248.49 May

Completed Race for Life 25 June 2017

A huge thankyou to everyone who sponsored me
    • Sarahdol75
    • By Sarahdol75 15th Jun 17, 2:27 PM
    • 6,200 Posts
    • 82,967 Thanks
    Sarahdol75
    Just received a letter from the council where our holiday home is, they are putting the council tax up another 50%, they really are trying to drive holiday makers out

Its not like we dont spend any money there, we are there every weekend, we do our shopping there, we renovated the house from top to bottom, used local builders merchants.

They are complaining that holiday makers are taking homes away from locals. In our little village there are 3 houses or sale, they have been for sale for 4 years, and only had a handful of viewers, and still not sold them, I cant see how we are taking houses away from them.

The annoying thing is our house has been in the family since 1970, would be a shame if we have to sell because of this.
    Walk 2000 miles in a year challenge 2017 -

229.37 January
    222.5 February
    218.80 March
    290.10 April
    248.49 May

Completed Race for Life 25 June 2017

A huge thankyou to everyone who sponsored me
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 2:31 PM
    • 15,795 Posts
    • 187,433 Thanks
    mhoc

as to the future, well firstly he has to get through more than his 6 months probation period and he has not managed this in the last 2 jobs. At the moment he is based at the water park which is hard work but at least its a pleasant environment. In the winter months he will be mostly based in our nearest city and working with very challenging teens - the staff turn over is very high so this is worrying.
    To get his wife into the Uk they need to apply for a spousal visa so he has to have 6 months of salary slips to prove income. He has to earn over a certain amount which the main job does not pay enough. The 2nd job in the hotel will bridge the gap but its debatable if this will be admissible as evidence as its on an ad hoc basis.
    he also has to have his own place with his name on the lease and to have been living there for a certain amount of time, might be at least 3 months. At the moment he does not have money to pay for deposits, rent, references, key money, furniture - all the money you need to start renting a flat.
    He also really cant commit to a place of his own until he has completed his probationary period.
    Living at home for now is probably saving him maybe at least £700 a month in rent and bills - maybe 75% of his income will go in rent, bills and living costs when he does eventually move out.
    So all this is ahead.
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 2:35 PM
    • 15,795 Posts
    • 187,433 Thanks
    mhoc
    Just received a letter from the council where our holiday home is, they are putting the council tax up another 50%, they really are trying to drive holiday makers out

Its not like we dont spend any money there, we are there every weekend, we do our shopping there, we renovated the house from top to bottom, used local builders merchants.

They are complaining that holiday makers are taking homes away from locals. In our little village there are 3 houses or sale, they have been for sale for 4 years, and only had a handful of viewers, and still not sold them, I cant see how we are taking houses away from them.

The annoying thing is our house has been in the family since 1970, would be a shame if we have to sell because of this.
    Originally posted by Sarahdol75
    this is such a shame. Is the house suitable for renting out for a few weeks in the summer to cover this or could you let out some airbandb rooms - i expect as a family home you might not want strangers there
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 15,795 Posts
    • 187,433 Thanks
    mhoc
    Wow Mhoc, your son certainly has been busy, I do think you need to rename him now though.
    he is not a reformed character - have to see how it goes over the next 6 months
    • two yellow roses
    • By two yellow roses 15th Jun 17, 3:16 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    two yellow roses
    To get his wife into the Uk they need to apply for a spousal visa so he has to have 6 months of salary slips to prove income. He has to earn over a certain amount which the main job does not pay enough. The 2nd job in the hotel will bridge the gap but its debatable if this will be admissible as evidence as its on an ad hoc basis.
    he also has to have his own place with his name on the lease and to have been living there for a certain amount of time, might be at least 3 months. At the moment he does not have money to pay for deposits, rent, references, key money, furniture - all the money you need to start renting a flat.
    Originally posted by mhoc
    All I can say is there is a different route.

A friend of one of my kids is a globetrotter, he took his wife into the Irish Republic(from the middle east, via Europe), then to Northern Ireland, then to England. Apparently thats the cheapest/easiest route.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    • 8,644 Posts
    • 54,573 Thanks
    LEJC
    come back and shoot us all in 6 months time when you can prove us wrong mhoc...but for now lets just embrace the moment that errant has employment!
    He may prove himself he may not....but if he can get a level of savings behind him then there is a lot for him to gain in moving his wife to the UK and that might just be the motivation that he needs to build their future.
    Jan £41.60/£40
    May
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 8,644 Posts
    • 54,573 Thanks
    LEJC

The problem is that sometimes the houses are just too expensive for locals to afford hence them being for sale for so long...or vendors setting the price too high in the first place.

My sister lives in a very coastal holiday haven where it thrives during the summer months but is almost empty during the winter...she loves where she lives but does say it's changed even over the last 10 years and can be quite soul less when theres not many people around....she often says their village needs inhabitants for 7 nights a week not 3 to survive and be a community.

I guess the council want to ensure that the village has a community spirit all year round hence the increase in charges.
    I can see this from both sides and its very difficult to go one way or the other but I think the council is in the position of capitalising on the need to obtain revenue the whole year round hence the increased fees.

Its not unusual for empty property add ons to be charged in any part of the country now....even city places.

Is renting an option even if you did something like just 6 month tenancies or even went down the holiday let route?
    Again it's easy for someone to say "rent the property out" but I guess you have to also factor in the costs to do it and whether you self manage or via an agent...of course whilst renting out it wouldn't also provide you with somewhere to retreat to at the weekend. You have to think yourself to be quite lucky to have the luxury of a weekend bolthole....and I really dont mean that in a condescending way...its just that the council now also want you to pay for the privilege too.

I also really get the bit that your place is very important to you,and assume it was a cherished family home....I've got one like that,it's been in my family since it was built at the beginning of the century.....it would have killed me to sell it,and if I'm honest the only way to keep it going was to modernise and rent it out....but I still cannot go into it whilst tenants are there...OH needs to do all the communicating with them on day to day things like visits/inspections and I only ever see it empty once they have moved out.
    Last edited by LEJC; 15-06-2017 at 3:52 PM.
    Jan £41.60/£40
    May
    • two yellow roses
    • By two yellow roses 15th Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    two yellow roses
    The problem is that sometimes the houses are just too expensive for locals to afford hence them being for sale for so long...or vendors setting the price too high in the first place.

My sister lives in a very coastal holiday haven where it thrives during the summer months but is almost empty during the winter.

I guess the council want to ensure that the village has a community spirit all year round hence the increase in charges.
    If only the original owners had sold to locals eh?

Of course the reason they didnt was because they wanted more money.

I'm not surprised when Londoners, Welshmen, Scotswomen, Poles etc move into the bit of Derbyshire I live in. Of course they inflate prices, and our kids have to live where they can afford. So long as its not Cornwall etc.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Jun 17, 3:58 PM
    • 8,644 Posts
    • 54,573 Thanks
    LEJC
    If only the original owners had sold to locals eh?

Of course the reason they didnt was because they wanted more money.

I'm not surprised when Londoners, Welshmen, Scotswomen, Poles etc move into the bit of Derbyshire I live in. Of course they inflate prices, and our kids have to live where they can afford. So long as its not Cornwall etc.
    Originally posted by two yellow roses
    Although to be fair it is very expensive for any of the younger generation to step onto the property ladder wherever they live nowadays.

Back when we bought our house it was difficult,but not something that was a pipedream.....the cost of buying now seems to be so much more and not quite the equilibrium between house prices and wages that it may have been a generation before.
    Jan £41.60/£40
    May
    • xxlouisexx56
    • By xxlouisexx56 15th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 29,281 Thanks
    xxlouisexx56
    Asda Morrisons
    1x Walkers Salt & Vinegar Crisps (6x25g) £1.50 £1.50
    1x Wham Raspberry Flavoured Bar (16g) £0.10 N/A
    0.82x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Banana (order by number of bananas or select kg) (per kg) £0.59 £0.59
    1x MAOAM Giant Strawberry Stripes (1pk) £0.10 £0.10
    1x Haribo Tangfastics Minis 11 Pack (200g) £1.00 £1.40
    1x Swizzels Refreshers Original Lemon Flavour (18g) £0.10 £0.10
    1x ASDA 20 Single Lighter Cheese Slices (400g) £1.75 N/A
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Cucumber (each) £0.50 N/A
    3x David Beckham Homme Deodorant Spray (150ml) £15.00 £4.50
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Iceberg Lettuce (each) £0.50 £0.42
    1x Barratt Flumps (12g) £0.10 £0.10
    Comparison total (compared products only) £18.89 £8.71
    +£10.18 cheaper
    For your information:
    • house elf
    • By house elf 15th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 6,390 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Afternoon,

Feels like morning to me! After 3 days back at work, I have caught a sickness bug and have been in bed all day.

I feel a bit like 'Errant Son' mhoc. Found a job opportunity on line this week, and have spent a lot of time emailing agency back and forth.....CV, interview dates, uncertainty, etc.

Interview was supposed to be today, but too ill to go. It seems that after all that fretting, it was not to be. (Wasn't too keen on the school anyway!), but would have been good interview practice. Ho hum.

I can hear our DS1 and GF getting ready for work. Our paths don't cross much, as they work in bars and are usually out or asleep when we are home, but I share many your feelings of irritation. The latest being that they wanted us to take them on holiday! Is it not enough that they live rent free, don't pay for food, have free lifts and a maid and butler who cleans up after them!!!!!!!! I suggested they go outside school holiday time, just the two of them, and visit DD in Greece. It would be far cheaper and much more fun........now they are not speaking to me!
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,386Posts Today

8,329Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: It's been everywhere, so why not here. Which Hogwart's house should you've been in (Ive put key traits to help)...

• Quick favour if uv graduated within around the last year. I could do with pic of a student loan statement (no personal info) inc interest

• RT @ValeOfLevenCU: Why not sign up to @MartinSLewis https://t.co/kxMBedCNNw weekly email for free, impartial tips? #ThriftyThursday http?

• Follow Martin