Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 11,944Posts
    • 34,466Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 16th Jun 16 at 8:32 PM

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.

Last edited by redfox; 30-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Page 158
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Jun 17, 10:34 AM
    • 8,751 Posts
    • 55,166 Thanks
    LEJC
    Snap...I hope your visit south for Fathers Day proves the tonic perhaps that you all need at the moment.

There have been loads of reports of bee's in odd places this year...not sure if it's weather related or just being picked up by the news more....but I hope that your bee man can entice them all away to a better hive than the log burner.

I know we all talked about our kids yesterday on the thread and came to the conclusion that they were jointly owned by all the elite....but again for me I think your parents are so special and in an elite way I feel as if you share them with us.....soppy I know but I guess we all have taken an interest in them (and their fabulous collections housed at home) over the years and treasure them x
    Last edited by LEJC; 15-06-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 93 out 83 in ...£13.96 spend
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 15th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 14,156 Posts
    • 240,332 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    Queenriderbrekke was yesterday's smartest player!

24 players played.

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=99008

Today's Topic (Thursday): World : UK

Our Family Motto ~
    ♦ If all else fails - read the instructions ♦

• HILLBERN
    • By HILLBERN 15th Jun 17, 10:42 AM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 25,293 Thanks
    HILLBERN
    Good morning all....

Saver sue....call me cynical but I'm with Enterprise on this situation with the gardener.

My first thought was that he has an electrician friend who can do a full check of the house electrics and find lots that needs attending to.

Being involved in the rental market and hopefully being what I would hope was a responsible landlord,over the years I've come across many rogue handy people who will and sadly do take advantage.

Just to put things into perspective regarding electrics many many houses in the country are not up to current electrical regulations but that does not mean in any way that they are not safe....it just means that current regulations are not met.....
    We refurbished a property totally in 2012 and even though the whole house was completely rewired and took to the then required standard,because things have moved on its not now within standard....only minor things but it just means that if the property were rewired again today there would be a new set of rules to follow.

Most consumer units in properties will be "identified" as "not reaching standard if they are old style and over 20 years old.....it doesn't mean they dont work...indeed some houses go 50 or 60 years between rewiring but to the untrained or ill informed the consumer unit is an easy target for an electrician to suggest that its not performing as it should.
    The fact that this gardener seems to be tripping switches is without doubt to me an indication of where this might take you in the next few weeks....

The fact that he is not using his own electrical tools is also a pointer that perhaps he doesn't own any and as such therefore isn't responsible for PAT testing so yes if he suddenly gets an electric shock from something you have provided him to work with that you haven't arranged a PAT test on may lead him to utter the words "compensation for injury"

I'm not sure how you found the gardener or indeed if you get rid of him how easy it will be to replace him...but I think he's given you enough thoughts to consider terminating the arrangement or at least approaching him to find out that he holds the correct public liability insurance when working at your mums house.(my guess is he will not have this)

How is he paid?.....thats another pointer as to whether he has a legitimate business or is more of a cash in hand man to keep costs down.....do a bit of googling and you will be able to see if he pays vat etc.
    Anyone who is legitimate wont mind actually giving you details themselves!

Have you got age concern or saga representatives nearby...they usually hold a database of trusted local trades who work specifically with the elderly....its been a while since I have needed their advice so things might have changed but ask your social worker for details....maybe even explaining the situation to them to see if they have other reports of such instances in the area.

I know its probably another thing to deal with ontop of a mountain of other challenges that you already face with your mum,but I really think you should voice this through with someone who can at least give you some pointers on what current scams there are relating to the elderly.

It makes my blood boil that sometimes its the most vulnerable and caring in our society that are taken advantage of....I went through it with my mum and we came out relatively unscathed....but I've just been witness to someone trying a massive scam on my OH's parents that if we had not been vigilant would have seen them lose many tens of thousands of pounds whist abroad.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    very wise words
    • aau1
    • By aau1 15th Jun 17, 10:47 AM
    • 18,728 Posts
    • 322,914 Thanks
    aau1
    Mrs aau1's Nectar account shows a 1,000 bonus point offer on virgin east coast booking ...no min spend

Nothing on my account
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 15th Jun 17, 10:47 AM
    • 14,156 Posts
    • 240,332 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    Our Family Motto ~
    ♦ If all else fails - read the instructions ♦

• locarr
    • By locarr 15th Jun 17, 10:53 AM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 137,684 Thanks
    locarr
    Morning ALL!
    "I've never looked at myself and said that I need to be a certain way to be around a certain sort of people. I've always wanted to stay true to myself, and I've managed to do that. People have to accept that."
    Jay-Z

bilge© copyright all rights reserved
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Jun 17, 10:58 AM
    • 8,751 Posts
    • 55,166 Thanks
    LEJC
    Where you been locarr..I've missed the daily flags!
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 93 out 83 in ...£13.96 spend
    • ChelseaFred
    • By ChelseaFred 15th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 4,737 Thanks
    ChelseaFred
    Morning all

Been around before but still thought-provoking

THE IDIOSYNCRASIES OF ENGLISH:
    (Savvy, don't read this if you're lurking!)

1. IF MAN EVOLVED FROM MONKEYS AND APES, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?
    2. ATHEISM IS A NON-PROPHET ORGANIZATION.
    3. ONE TEQUILA, TWO TEQUILA, THREE TEQUILA...... FLOOR.
    4. THE MAIN REASON THAT SANTA IS SO JOLLY IS BECAUSE HE KNOWS WHERE ALL THE BAD GIRLS LIVE.
    5. I WENT TO A LIBRARY AND ASKED THE LADY, "WHERE'S THE DIY SECTION?" SHE SAID IF SHE TOLD ME, IT WOULD DEFEAT THE PURPOSE.
    6. WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?
    7. IF A DEAF CHILD SIGNS SWEAR WORDS, DOES HIS MOTHER WASH HIS HANDS WITH SOAP?
    8. IF SOMEONE WITH MULTIPLE PERSONALITIES THREATENS TO KILL HIMSELF, IS IT CONSIDERED A HOSTAGE SITUATION?
    9. IS THERE ANOTHER WORD FOR SYNONYM?
    10. WHERE DO FOREST RANGERS GO TO "GET AWAY FROM IT ALL?"
    11. WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU SEE AN ENDANGERED ANIMAL EATING AN ENDANGERED PLANT?
    12. IF A PARSLEY FARMER IS SUED, CAN THEY GARNISH HIS WAGES?
    13. WOULD A FLY WITHOUT WINGS BE CALLED A WALK?
    14. WHY DO THEY LOCK PETROL STATION TOILETS? ARE THEY AFRAID SOMEONE WILL BREAK-IN AND CLEAN THEM?
    15. IF A TURTLE DOESN'T HAVE A SHELL, IS HE HOMELESS OR NAKED?
    16. CAN VEGETARIANS EAT ANIMAL CRACKERS?
    17. IF THE POLICE ARREST A MUTE, DO THEY TELL HIM HE HAS THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT?
    18. WHY DO THEY PUT BRAILLE ON THE DRIVE-THROUGH BANK MACHINES?
    19. HOW DO THEY GET DEER TO CROSS THE ROAD ONLY AT THOSE YELLOW ROAD SIGNS?
    20. WHAT WAS THE BEST THING BEFORE SLICED BREAD?
    21. ONE NICE THING ABOUT EGOTISTS: THEY DON'T TALK ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE.
    22. DOES THE LITTLE MERMAID WEAR AN ALGEBRA?
    (This one took me a minute)
    23. DO INFANTS ENJOY INFANCY AS MUCH AS ADULTS ENJOY ADULTERY?
    24. HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CIVIL WAR?
    25. IF ONE SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMER DROWNS, DO THE REST DROWN TOO?
    26. IF YOU ATE BOTH PASTA AND ANTIPASTO, WOULD YOU STILL BE HUNGRY?
    27. IF YOU TRY TO FAIL, AND SUCCEED, WHICH HAVE YOU DONE?
    28. WHOSE CRUEL IDEA WAS IT FOR THE WORD 'LISP' TO HAVE 'S' IN IT?
    29. WHY ARE HAEMORRHOIDS CALLED "HAEMORRHOIDS" INSTEAD OF "ASSTEROIDS"?
    30. WHY IS IT CALLED TOURIST SEASON IF WE CAN'T SHOOT THEM?
    31. WHY IS THERE AN EXPIRATION DATE ON SOUR CREAM?
    32. IF YOU SPIN AN ORIENTAL MAN IN A CIRCLE THREE TIMES, DOES HE BECOME DISORIENTED?
    33. CAN AN ATHEIST GET INSURANCE AGAINST ACTS OF GOD?
    34. WHY DO SHOPS HAVE SIGNS, 'GUIDE DOGS ONLY', THE DOGS CAN'T READ AND THEIR OWNERS ARE BLIND?

Don't forget the Kettle Bites this morning, £1 in T, 75p COS.

ChelseaFred
    • underperky
    • By underperky 15th Jun 17, 11:19 AM
    • 4,996 Posts
    • 62,326 Thanks
    underperky
    Good morning Durmha teskies selling off Viners cutlery sets for £34 if any

locals are looking for a one .....hope every one is well
    • izzeyb
    • By izzeyb 15th Jun 17, 11:25 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 82,935 Thanks
    izzeyb
    Morning everyone David Beckham deodrants price has change at Morrison on my supermarket but still would compare against Sainsbury, plase check before buying x have a great day x
    Originally posted by Honeybee1978

Still comparing to Morries from shop done at 08.21. Checked fine but apg system awaiting techie wizzards .... again

3x David Beckham Homme Deodorant Spray (150ml) £15.00 £4.50
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 15,995 Posts
    • 188,986 Thanks
    mhoc
    Snap...I hope your visit south for Fathers Day proves the tonic perhaps that you all need at the moment.

There have been loads of reports of bee's in odd places this year...not sure if it's weather related or just being picked up by the news more....but I hope that your bee man can entice them all away to a better hive than the log burner.

I know we all talked about our kids yesterday on the thread and came to the conclusion that they were jointly owned by all the elite....but again for me I think your parents are so special and in an elite way I feel as if you share them with us.....soppy I know but I guess we all have taken an interest in them (and their fabulous collections housed at home) over the years and treasure them x
    I like the idea of our kids being jointly owned and how we all try to look out for them and give them our combined expertise and experience in whatever the weeks dilemma is wether it be car insurance or work based problems or house buying knowledge etc ...

And if any of our combined offspring end up at any of our nearby uni - we have several within a small radius, when they inevitably get home sick but home is 3 trains and 4 hours away they are quite welcome to come to us for a family cooked meal (we already make meals for a battalion) , a clean fragrant shower in a posh bathroom, a clean newly bed for the night with freshly changed linen, some rubbish TV and endless cat cuddles (proxy parents but with minimal nagging)
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    • 15,995 Posts
    • 188,986 Thanks
    mhoc
    So back to the Errant son saga – I will back track a couple of weeks so we are all on the same page .
    He had made numerous job applications and got interviews for almost all of them but every time he was getting knock backs – mostly for very dubious reasons like not enough experience or not having enough qualifications so he was getting a bit dispirited.
    After he was rejected by the Edinburgh one on the Thursday he contacted a firm on his B list – on the B list for various reasons - it was not in one of his ideal locations, actually based very local to us, also it was a commercial firm - he has always worked for charities before, also it had advertised quite a while before etc.
    He emailed this company even though he thought they had filled all of their vacancies but they replied to say they had one left at a water centre about 10 miles from us. They then followed up with the various application forms by email.
    Friday morning he was up early and he tackled these and sent them off. About half an hour later he got a call from HR, very long conversation and he was then offered an interview on the Monday.
    In the meantime we though he had no temp work over the weekend but the temp company rang him on Saturday morning. I was annoyed/anxious/worried as he had accepted a 12 hour night shift – 6 at night until 6 in the morning, he had never done nights before, never mind a 12 hour shift. At least it was local and only a 15 min bike ride away. Anyway he set off a bit earlier than 6 as he also had to do induction (an extra unpaid hour), came back on Sunday morning, showered, eat and went to bed for the day. Then at about 4 on Sunday afternoon he finally got up, showered, sorted out his emails and messages, had something to eat and started making his lunch box up again. Only then did I realise he was actually getting ready for work again –I’d not realised that it was 2 night shifts over the weekend and not just one, so now I was really livid.
    But he set off for work again, another 12 hour night shift and he got back at just after 6 on Monday morning. He had breakfast but obviously he was too wired up to go to bed even for a couple of hours so he showered and got himself prepared and organised again.
    Fortunately OH was still off work so he drove Errant son up to HQ for his interview for 10 o’clock
    And despite being sleep deprived he made enough of an impression at his interview and he was offered the job straight afterwards .
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 12:10 PM
    • 15,995 Posts
    • 188,986 Thanks
    mhoc
    Then Errant son came home and there followed numerous calls and emails from his new company. He had to complete various documents and forms plus he got his contract.
    He also had to complete his CRB check which is done online now, you get a link to the form – nothing happens until this is completed and processed.
    HR said that his line manage who was based at another centre would contact him to arrange induction on Wednesday – obviously this didn’t happen because of the short notice plus the line manager is one of those who is impossible to get hold of, takes days to reply to messages etc.
    So things were on hold mainly until induction could be organised and the CRB check was completed.
    As it looked like it was going to be a long process he rang the temp agency and he got work for Friday – this was the weekend we went off to the wilds of East Anglia to see Eldest son and his GF in their new little cottage.
    We went early Friday and come back on Sunday afternoon leaving Errant son in charge of the house and the cats. He kept us well informed over the weekend with various updates on the cats – who was in and who was out and who had misbehaved etc …
    Errant son also organised his temp work for the following week – 2 day shifts over the weekend we were away with the local company and then Monday to Friday 2 in the afternoon until 10 at night at the company he worked for about 10 miles from us, so 7 days working but at least it was going to keep him busy until his new company could get things organised.
    Then on Tuesday we got a message late in the evening asking if there was bread for sandwiches and if not he would got to Mr T which is a 24 hour store to get some (needless to say we did the big Aldi shop on Tuesday afternoon and he had finished the bread off while we were out and not bothered to message us)
    He finally got in on Tuesday night sometime before 11 at night and did his usual routine. Then I realised what he was doing in the kitchen was making a lunch pack up for the morning which he didn’t need to do as he was not at work until 2 in the afternoon on Wednesday.
    It turned out that his new company had contacted him the previous Friday (when we had gone away for the weekend) to organised 2 induction days – so he had kept us informed about the cats and their antics but not bothered to tell us about the new company getting in touch again, even though it had been brought up in conversation several times, we were worrying why things had gone quiet and why the new company had not rung/messaged or emailed him about induction.
    Apparently it was nothing to do with us.
    Wednesday morning he was out of the house for 7.45 and he drove for an hour to Derbyshire to the climbing venue for a teaching session with his new line manager and his group of students. This finished about lunchtime and he then drove to the temp job which is about half way back to do his 2 until 10 shift and then finally he got home about 10.30 – so about 15 hours out of the house doing a double shift plus about 2 hours driving and the same again on Thursday.
    So over those 7 days he did
    24 hours on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at one local temp
    40 hours Monday- Friday for the other temp job
    8 hours induction on Wednesday and Thursday morning
    About 8 hours driving back and to in the week
    Total 80 hours

I don't think I ever had that amount of energy to do 80 hour weeks
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 15th Jun 17, 12:11 PM
    • 35,476 Posts
    • 149,651 Thanks
    silvercar
    So back to the Errant son saga – I will back track a couple of weeks so we are all on the same page .
    He had made numerous job applications and got interviews for almost all of them but every time he was getting knock backs – mostly for very dubious reasons like not enough experience or not having enough qualifications so he was getting a bit dispirited.
    After he was rejected by the Edinburgh one on the Thursday he contacted a firm on his B list – on the B list for various reasons - it was not in one of his ideal locations, actually based very local to us, also it was a commercial firm - he has always worked for charities before, also it had advertised quite a while before etc.
    He emailed this company even though he thought they had filled all of their vacancies but they replied to say they had one left at a water centre about 10 miles from us. They then followed up with the various application forms by email.
    Friday morning he was up early and he tackled these and sent them off. About half an hour later he got a call from HR, very long conversation and he was then offered an interview on the Monday.
    In the meantime we though he had no temp work over the weekend but the temp company rang him on Saturday morning. I was annoyed/anxious/worried as he had accepted a 12 hour night shift – 6 at night until 6 in the morning, he had never done nights before, never mind a 12 hour shift. At least it was local and only a 15 min bike ride away. Anyway he set off a bit earlier than 6 as he also had to do induction (an extra unpaid hour), came back on Sunday morning, showered, eat and went to bed for the day. Then at about 4 on Sunday afternoon he finally got up, showered, sorted out his emails and messages, had something to eat and started making his lunch box up again. Only then did I realise he was actually getting ready for work again –I’d not realised that it was 2 night shifts over the weekend and not just one, so now I was really livid.
    But he set off for work again, another 12 hour night shift and he got back at just after 6 on Monday morning. He had breakfast but obviously he was too wired up to go to bed even for a couple of hours so he showered and got himself prepared and organised again.
    Fortunately OH was still off work so he drove Errant son up to HQ for his interview for 10 o’clock
    And despite being sleep deprived he made enough of an impression at his interview and he was offered the job straight afterwards .
    Originally posted by mhoc
    That's amazing. Very industrious to work hard when also on the job search path.

Still think he should be renamed. Sounds far less errant every time you talk about him.
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    • 15,995 Posts
    • 188,986 Thanks
    mhoc
    Also on that Tuesday evening whilst Errant son was making his lunch pack for induction in the morning, I was gasping at what he was proposing to do for the next 2 days and also trying to find out why he had not bothered to tell us that the new company had rung the previous Friday and about the induction etc …

- bare in mind this was nearly midnight at this point. I went to the study to check the final emails of the day, less confrontational then me chewing his ear off in the kitchen and I nudged the computer back out of sleep mode and up on the computer came the Expedia page.
    Somewhere between coming in the door at gone 10.30, showering, eating and sandwich making (obviously he had been researching this in the evenings and on his non working mornings) he had booked hotels and also flights to Hong Kong to see the wife.
    Then I really did lose my patience with him – he only had about £400 in his current account (I only knew this as his slip from the cash machine was lying around. I knew he had to sort out his van insurance but he has also been sending money back to the wife as well which is why he has so little) so he booked these flights and hotel on his credit card which I was also cross about.
    I was too mad with him to even ask the details
    (last year he did a similar trick, after coming back to the UK he had the interview he had set up in Kent, got his new job and he then got his train home,then next day he had gone back down to Heathrow and flown back out again, just walked out of the house that morning without telling us anything)

Friday night he finished work and he was home at 10.30, showered and eat as usual and then sorted out his bag packing. OH asked him what time his flight was – I was too exasperated with him to know any of the details.
    His flight was at 9 on Saturday morning from Manchester and he had booked his train ticket from the local station – we have a local service that only takes about 45 mins up to Manchester airport. He said his train was at midnight but actually it was 12.45 but we stayed up and OH gave him a lift to the station so there would be no difficulties in parking his van for the week at the station.
    He had to take that 12.45 train as the service then stops and does not start again until too late for check in so he was at the airport for about 1.30 in the morning and he slept on a bench at the airport (having just done an 80 hour week) until check in at about 6 – it was the only way of doing it to get his flight.

So after he set off he sent a message when he checked in and also he sent a message to OH that he had arrived in Hong Kong on Sunday but that was all we heard from him then for that week until he came back to the UK.
    Last edited by mhoc; 15-06-2017 at 12:25 PM.
    • nanx4
    • By nanx4 15th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    nanx4
    Morning all
    I'm at work and signal poor but can I ask again if anyone is going A's can they please make a note what simple is in 3 4 2 as some now half price in t, thank you x
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Hi bubbs
    Looked at the simple this morning , the only ones in my store that are included in 3f2 are
    Simple age resisting day cream £4
    Eye make up remover £4

All the others some of the ones that where rtc have now all gone back up in price but not on the 3f2
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 12:25 PM
    • 15,995 Posts
    • 188,986 Thanks
    mhoc
    The next week we were away ourselves from Tuesday for a fortnight nearly and in the meantime Errant son was back in the UK, his CRB check had come back just before we went away so he was all set.
    He got back in on Sunday and he started work at the new company on Monday, having no idea where he was supposed to be or what he was doing but we were still away so he had to sort it out himself.
    So by the time we got back on Saturday he had already done his first week at the new company and he was settling in. He also realised that he would not be doing evenings and he was working 5 days out of 7 so there would be weeks when he had gaps.
    He emailed his old boss at the hotel where he worked when he was a student right up to the time he finished uni when he had his first post uni job and went up north –worked there for about 5 years in the kitchens and they were very accommodating allowing him to do the odd shifts around and allowing for his other commitments -college/uni/ATC/scouts and practical assignments etc. The old boss said no problem he could have his old job back.

So he now has a second job doing the same as he has done before, just one of 2 shifts a week on an as and when basis and he has already done his induction morning and one shift. The money from the 2nd job makes up for his low wages on his main job and he also gets fed at the hotel when he is on duty which is another big advantage plus its close enough to bike to, at least in good weather so no fuel for the van needed.

So that’s where we are at, Errant son with his full time job and his part time temp job is now living with us on a permanent basis or at least for the next 6 months .

He also has found a local mountaineering club so he has climbing partners to go out with and he is starting to try and re connect with his scout group, although that is a bit tentative at the moment but that was his main social life before and if he cant fit back in with his old scout group there are others locally that he can help with.
    It will be like (although not the same as too much time has passed and too much has gone on ) or at least similar to when he was at uni but living at home– mostly he was out and about and not around much except for meals and sleeping so hopefully we will all manage to get along without annoying or irritating each other too much.

So that is our empty nest refilled, life sends us challenges but only as much as we can deal with. I know all situations eventually have some sort of silver lining and this one will have although it may take a long time to show itself
    Last edited by mhoc; 15-06-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 12:44 PM
    • 15,995 Posts
    • 188,986 Thanks
    mhoc
    On the plus side Errant sons final expenses cheque arrived just before we went away - this was expenses for the job he had previously who paid him mileage expenses, meals and parking while he was away from the home base.
    There was a discrepancy with a couple of the receipts but with a bit of common sense it was all sorted out - the old company were doing their very best to drag their heels and it took nearly 2 months in all to get them to pay up.
    But that money has already been spent and it will cover his credit card bill.

This is a recurring theme, he also had issues trying to get his old landlord to return the deposit and again it took 2 months and it was only when we asked Eldest child for advice (as she has vast experience of rentals) and she rang the agency up, only then did the deposit get returned.

At the moment Errant son is waiting on a payment from one of the temp agencies - he works for 2 but they are part of the same company but in 2 towns and one agency does not communicate with the other so both are blaming each other for the shortfall.

I emphasised to errant son about keeping records of his temp shifts, where and when and what he had got paid for so he has been meticulous in his record keeping which is even more vexing when the temp companies mess up - so he has been ringing daily trying to get it sorted and trying to get one office to ring the other.
    This is payments for the week he did 7 days in a row and he is short about £300 so its not an insignificant sum.

But he will get a full months pay at the end of June from the new company and I think he also gets overtime for the 2 induction days - have to see what happens at the end of the month.
    Plus pay for 2 shifts from the hotel so at least his money situation will start to improve.
    • aau1
    • By aau1 15th Jun 17, 12:46 PM
    • 18,728 Posts
    • 322,914 Thanks
    aau1
    Free cineworld tickets up for grabs on the wuntu app (three customers)

Eta. You should generate your code now and screenshot it, you then have until 27/6 to use it
    Last edited by aau1; 15-06-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • locarr
    • By locarr 15th Jun 17, 12:47 PM
    • 7,735 Posts
    • 137,684 Thanks
    locarr
    Where you been locarr..I've missed the daily flags!

RL Busy, busy...haven't had time to catch up...

got some cond spends from Waitys yesterday 4 x £6 off £30

any decent offers on at the mo?

TIA
    "I've never looked at myself and said that I need to be a certain way to be around a certain sort of people. I've always wanted to stay true to myself, and I've managed to do that. People have to accept that."
    Jay-Z

bilge© copyright all rights reserved
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,855Posts Today

7,277Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin