Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 12,027Posts
    • 34,678Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 16th Jun 16 at 8:32 PM

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.

Last edited by redfox; 30-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Page 157
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 15th Jun 17, 6:29 AM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 50,387 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Add a Business Consultant, Rock Guitarist and NVQ Hairdressing Assessor to the list

ChelseaFred
    Originally posted by ChelseaFred

Brilliant
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 48.15

• Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 15th Jun 17, 6:31 AM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 50,387 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Dead easy to take and post when you get used to it too.

Originally posted by davemorton

But what do you do when you want to find one in a hurry?
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 48.15

• diluvsdiscounts
    • By diluvsdiscounts 15th Jun 17, 6:41 AM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 30,683 Thanks
    diluvsdiscounts
    Good morning, last day today and then off until Wednesday.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 15th Jun 17, 7:00 AM
    • 14,808 Posts
    • 181,055 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Good morning all

Originally posted by Serendipitious
    Thank g*d for that, but where the heck has Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday go????

Can we turn the clock back please x
    Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • tweets
    • By tweets 15th Jun 17, 7:29 AM
    • 28,435 Posts
    • 408,931 Thanks
    tweets
    Right, been catching up...Someone, bubbs or tweets is trying to post a pic, then said it had been posted, but I cant see what they were trying t opost...has it been posted the, I am lost?

Tis wasn't me DM I posted a link for a site enterprise found the other week and couldn't remember what it was this one

https://postimage.io/
    Lost 3st-1.5lb
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 15th Jun 17, 7:31 AM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 17,954 Thanks
    curl girl
    Saversue.

Keep your eye out in your mum's area for another gardener, ask at the house they're working on about them.
    Then get rid of the existing one as he sounds a problem!

Morning peeps.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboards!!!
    • tweets
    • By tweets 15th Jun 17, 7:34 AM
    • 28,435 Posts
    • 408,931 Thanks
    tweets
    Good Morning
    Lost 3st-1.5lb
    • hornetgirl
    • By hornetgirl 15th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 5,469 Posts
    • 67,319 Thanks
    hornetgirl
    (((x))) for rose and saversue

Morning all
    Unity is strength...Knowledge is power...Attitude is everything

MF 30 June 2010

Everything is fleeting, everything will change
    • tweets
    • By tweets 15th Jun 17, 8:01 AM
    • 28,435 Posts
    • 408,931 Thanks
    tweets
    I am So So angry IO know in the greater scheme of things happening at the moment it's not important, but someone trying to pull the wool/ diddle my Mum is really upsetting.

Haven't trusted her gardener for a bit, a few weeks ago took a load of Sandstone (as he was clearing a bit of the garden - more like decimating it) and said he was taking it to the tip - No Way.

Then he said she had mice in garage - checked it, no sign of mice - put bait down etc, not touched, but he still insists he keeps finding live mice and they are chewing things, haven't worked what he is up to there.

Couple of weeks ago he said her hedge trimmers had packed in and could I
    get some new ones.
    Took mine which have only been used twice. He used them last week, then today said they weren't working :eek :when he got them out.
    I asked to look at them and the wire had nearly been cut through.
    When I said so, he said, no must have been the mice, Couldn't I see where they had been chewed ? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS.
    Said nothing to Mum because she has told me to stop complaining to her about him as it upsets her too much.

Next thing, there's a crash outside house, neighbour doing a U-turn hit a motorbike - police and ambulance called. Couldn't believe it when police said there would be no further action, just an incident number for insurance. Bike driver refused hospital, though hurt, and recovery vehicle came to take bike away.

Gardener comes to get paid and tells Mum about "mice" chewing wire of hedge trimmers.
    Now Mum is Old, In Poor Health and Very Frail, but even she says it doesn't look like mice. Gardener insists it is, as otherwise he'd of got an electric shock. I tell him No because it's a fuse board with safety features (can't remember what they are called)

About an hour after he goes I decide to check freezer in garage - and it's OFF Check fuse box and it's tripped for the circuit where he plugs into in the garage.

So lucky I checked it, otherwise 6ft high freezer contents all ruined.
    Originally posted by Saversue

saversue I have a gardener and he uses his own equipment . I cant understand why your mums doesn't. Wish you lived nearer I would recommend mine to your mum.

Glad you spotted the fuse box had tripped otherwise you would have been annoyed,
    Lost 3st-1.5lb
    • Honeybee1978
    • By Honeybee1978 15th Jun 17, 8:03 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    Honeybee1978
    Price change
    Morning everyone David Beckham deodrants price has change at Morrison on my supermarket but still would compare against Sainsbury, plase check before buying x have a great day x
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 15th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 18,390 Posts
    • 194,868 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Good morning all, beautiful day here.

Sue, hope things improve for you xx

Rose, it is all their problem, don't let them get to you, not easy I know but focus on what you will eventually get out of this xx

I am So So angry IO know in the greater scheme of things happening at the moment it's not important, but someone trying to pull the wool/ diddle my Mum is really upsetting.

Haven't trusted her gardener for a bit, a few weeks ago took a load of Sandstone (as he was clearing a bit of the garden - more like decimating it) and said he was taking it to the tip - No Way.

Then he said she had mice in garage - checked it, no sign of mice - put bait down etc, not touched, but he still insists he keeps finding live mice and they are chewing things, haven't worked what he is up to there.

get some new ones.
    Took mine which have only been used twice. He used them last week, then today said they weren't working :eek :when he got them out.
    When I said so, he said, no must have been the mice, Couldn't I see where they had been chewed ? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS.
    Said nothing to Mum because she has told me to stop complaining to her about him as it upsets her too much.

Next thing, there's a crash outside house, neighbour doing a U-turn hit a motorbike - police and ambulance called. Couldn't believe it when police said there would be no further action, just an incident number for insurance. Bike driver refused hospital, though hurt, and recovery vehicle came to take bike away.

Gardener comes to get paid and tells Mum about "mice" chewing wire of hedge trimmers.
    Now Mum is Old, In Poor Health and Very Frail, but even she says it doesn't look like mice. Gardener insists it is, as otherwise he'd of got an electric shock. I tell him No because it's a fuse board with safety features (can't remember what they are called)

About an hour after he goes I decide to check freezer in garage - and it's OFF Check fuse box and it's tripped for the circuit where he plugs into in the garage.

We have seen cables that have been chewed by mice, it is very obvious.

He will probably soon appear with a mate who will get rid of the "mice" for a very high fee, either that or he will get an "electric shock" and ask your mum to pay or he will sue.

I agree, he has to go. I am another one amazed he does not use his own equipment, and sandstone is expensive, he would have got good money for that.

Could you just tell your mum a little white lie, say you don't feel safe around him or something? Preferably with the largest muscle man you can find nearby for protection?
    Last edited by Enterprise 1701C; 15-06-2017 at 8:13 AM.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Jun 17, 8:18 AM
    • 49,586 Posts
    • 574,195 Thanks
    bubbs
    Morning all
    I'm at work and signal poor but can I ask again if anyone is going A's can they please make a note what simple is in 3 4 2 as some now half price in t, thank you x
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-3 st 4 1/2 lb week 21
    • Westvleteren
    • By Westvleteren 15th Jun 17, 8:28 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 91,323 Thanks
    Westvleteren
    Morning folks!

Dead easy to take and post when you get used to it too.

Aaarrggghhhh!
    Something unexpected happened which made me smile and still continues to make me smile.

2017 Walk 4000 miles in a year challenge: Jan: 277.5. Feb:262.6. March 287. April 297.5. May 318. June 132.35

• davemorton
    • By davemorton 15th Jun 17, 8:31 AM
    • 25,748 Posts
    • 301,673 Thanks
    davemorton
    Morning folks!

Aaarrggghhhh!
    Originally posted by Westvleteren
    Thought you would like that
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • scottishshortie
    • By scottishshortie 15th Jun 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 16,172 Thanks
    scottishshortie
    Good morning
    Lidls weekend offers for next weekend are
    Chilean Pedro Jimenez £2.99
    Cotes du Rhone £2.99
    Bavarian Bratwurst 300g, 99p
    Doussy Fabric Conditioner 2L, 99p
    Floralys Aloe Vera Toilet Roll 4 rolls 89p
    • rhosynbach
    • By rhosynbach 15th Jun 17, 8:44 AM
    • 7,299 Posts
    • 113,712 Thanks
    rhosynbach

get some new ones.

Some people are awful.
    Elderly neighbour had a similar thing with gardener, he was flogging the broken tools at car boots when they where supised to be broke and she was buying new ones. Of course he had a mate that could supply them st a good price, poor lady totally riped of. Only discovered when oh offered to take a petrol mower to scrap yard and gardener got agresive so oh checked it and it had been disabled.
    Last edited by rhosynbach; 15-06-2017 at 9:16 AM.
    • elliemoo
    • By elliemoo 15th Jun 17, 9:27 AM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 44,448 Thanks
    elliemoo
    Good morning all, happy Thursday.
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 15th Jun 17, 9:39 AM
    • 16,196 Posts
    • 190,646 Thanks
    mhoc
    Morning all

a quick question before we start regarding COS pretty please.

My app has 2 freebies for Superdrug, super yummies and cow and gate pouches. The yummies I fpund in my other superdrug yesterday but no sign of the fruit pouches
    So I thought I would do an online order - never uploaded an online order receipt to COS so this was going to be a new experience.
    But on superdrug.com they dont seem to sell the single pouches only the boxes of 4
    So that plan was thwarted.
    Has anyone uploaded a superdrug invoice for COS and is it straight forward - I am just thinking of the size of the thing and if you included the bit with your name and address?
    If so and something free came up in the future free from superdrug I would have to register new beauty cards with the matching names and emails for Ohs and the spare COS

Has anyone seem the pouches in the Chester Superdrug? Its a bit far to warrant going all the way to Chester for 2 lots of baby food. Or Wrexham for that matter.
    I suppose I will just get the yummies, something for the food bank anyway
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 15th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 8,909 Posts
    • 56,088 Thanks
    LEJC
    Good morning all....

Saver sue....call me cynical but I'm with Enterprise on this situation with the gardener.

My first thought was that he has an electrician friend who can do a full check of the house electrics and find lots that needs attending to.

Being involved in the rental market and hopefully being what I would hope was a responsible landlord,over the years I've come across many rogue handy people who will and sadly do take advantage.

Just to put things into perspective regarding electrics many many houses in the country are not up to current electrical regulations but that does not mean in any way that they are not safe....it just means that current regulations are not met.....
    We refurbished a property totally in 2012 and even though the whole house was completely rewired and took to the then required standard,because things have moved on its not now within standard....only minor things but it just means that if the property were rewired again today there would be a new set of rules to follow.

Most consumer units in properties will be "identified" as "not reaching standard if they are old style and over 20 years old.....it doesn't mean they dont work...indeed some houses go 50 or 60 years between rewiring but to the untrained or ill informed the consumer unit is an easy target for an electrician to suggest that its not performing as it should.
    The fact that this gardener seems to be tripping switches is without doubt to me an indication of where this might take you in the next few weeks....

The fact that he is not using his own electrical tools is also a pointer that perhaps he doesn't own any and as such therefore isn't responsible for PAT testing so yes if he suddenly gets an electric shock from something you have provided him to work with that you haven't arranged a PAT test on may lead him to utter the words "compensation for injury"

I'm not sure how you found the gardener or indeed if you get rid of him how easy it will be to replace him...but I think he's given you enough thoughts to consider terminating the arrangement or at least approaching him to find out that he holds the correct public liability insurance when working at your mums house.(my guess is he will not have this)

How is he paid?.....thats another pointer as to whether he has a legitimate business or is more of a cash in hand man to keep costs down.....do a bit of googling and you will be able to see if he pays vat etc.
    Anyone who is legitimate wont mind actually giving you details themselves!

Have you got age concern or saga representatives nearby...they usually hold a database of trusted local trades who work specifically with the elderly....its been a while since I have needed their advice so things might have changed but ask your social worker for details....maybe even explaining the situation to them to see if they have other reports of such instances in the area.

I know its probably another thing to deal with ontop of a mountain of other challenges that you already face with your mum,but I really think you should voice this through with someone who can at least give you some pointers on what current scams there are relating to the elderly.

It makes my blood boil that sometimes its the most vulnerable and caring in our society that are taken advantage of....I went through it with my mum and we came out relatively unscathed....but I've just been witness to someone trying a massive scam on my OH's parents that if we had not been vigilant would have seen them lose many tens of thousands of pounds whist abroad.
    Last edited by LEJC; 15-06-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 110 out 87 in ...£13.96 spend
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 15th Jun 17, 10:25 AM
    • 14,259 Posts
    • 241,462 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    Good Morning Llovelies
    ♥ Sending to Saversue ♥

Dad has been moved to a ward from A&E today.
    Has no memory at the moment & quite poorly
    We travel down tomorrow for Fathers Day so will get off train in Guildford to visit him ♥
    Poor Mum now has bees setting up home in their log burning stove. You can see them through the glass so bee man has been summoned.
    Fourp's brother arriving today to look after house so lots to do, but this time I'm not getting to much 'special' food in, as he seems he is allergic to Soya even the birds didn't eat it
    Our Family Motto ~
    ♦ If all else fails - read the instructions ♦

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

77Posts Today

2,299Users online

Martin's Twitter