Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 12,192Posts
    • 34,903Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 16th Jun 16 at 8:32 PM

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.

Last edited by redfox; 30-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Page 150
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 14th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 16,475 Posts
    • 192,871 Thanks
    mhoc
    one bit of heartbreak though.
    Eldest child finally made the decision this week to part with her beloved car and she is totally in bits. It was coming up to MOT time again and a decision had to be made.

She had to wait until she finished uni before she took her final lessons and test - where she was at uni was city centre so everyone walked or bussed everywhere. And anyway she was busy spending her wages and student loan on other things ...

So having passed her test she took a knowledgable friend for back up and bought her first car. She never went much further than a 15 mile radius but she got to grips with city driving.

The car was pivotal when her m-i- l was ill and she was driving to and from hospital, work, home and parents-in-law place for months on end and also she was very attentive of nana-in-law while she was alive.
    They moved flats twice and then there was the big move down south and her little car came to so over the last 5 years they have grown up together - so much emotion and family history mixed up together. Having to sell it has left a big hole.

Last year she got a refund from the electric company but the same day her car went for its MOT and it needed new tyres so the money came and went in the same day - one of those dire days

So now she has no car but at least it has freed up a bit of money in a very tight budget and she has one less thing to worry about.

We seem to get very emotionally attached to cars in our family
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 14th Jun 17, 4:30 PM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 52,416 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Isn't it nice that the various Elite offspring are doing well in their endeavours and bringing us positive news and helping to counterbalance the general misery in the world
    Originally posted by mhoc

I agree entirely mhoc, and with LEJC who also said similar earlier.

Off the top of my head I know we have doctors, dentists, accountants, business managers, environmental professionals, talented students and trainee lawyers, and I'm sure we can add more to the list. All doing their bit for the health and prosperity of others.

And they are all happy, buoyant and looking ahead. It would be one amazing party if they all got together!

Hopefully we will all be kept handsomely in our old age...
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 77.24

• LANGO1966
    • By LANGO1966 14th Jun 17, 4:30 PM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 25,046 Thanks
    LANGO1966
    Gluten free granola on COS £1:50 back, on rollback at £2 sada
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 14th Jun 17, 4:31 PM
    • 16,475 Posts
    • 192,871 Thanks
    mhoc
    Feeling nauseous and wobbly and got to keep eyes away from computer screen for a couple of days. If I'm still the same after Thursday I'm back to hospital, right, got to hand over devices for now.

Have a good day Elite. Hugs to the poorly Elite and those low in spirit, you're in my thoughts xx
    Originally posted by altojack
    poor love, another wounded soldier
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 14th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    • 16,475 Posts
    • 192,871 Thanks
    mhoc

Off the top of my head I know we have doctors, dentists, accountants, business managers, environmental professionals, talented students and trainee lawyers, and I'm sure we can add more to the list. All doing their bit for the health and prosperity of others.

And they are all happy, buoyant and looking ahead. It would be one amazing party if they all got together!

Originally posted by Serendipitious
    Eldest child says we have to be nice to her as its her who will be choosing our care homes
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 14th Jun 17, 4:36 PM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 56,791 Thanks
    LEJC
    So pleased for Errant...mhoc....gosh we've been with him in spirit all the way to getting this job....it's like we share a little of him with you.

I can relate to the car thing too....in my whole time driving since 17 I have only owned 5 cars.....all of which have taken me and us through some wonderful times....my car's are definitely part of the family.

Which flavour cider did you go for....I have had both and perhaps favour the rhubarb over the damson....but either way both are ones that if the price was favourable I would buy again.
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 131 out 101 in ...£14.92 spend
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 14th Jun 17, 4:41 PM
    • 16,475 Posts
    • 192,871 Thanks
    mhoc
    Also seem my middle sister today, in very good spirits, started the drug 2 weeks ago and no side effects and starting radiotherapy next week.

She found another lump last week, like a hard ball bearing so there was a major panic but the cancer nurse said it was nothing to be worried about as she has been scanned, biopsied, prodded and poked and examined in minute detail so there was nothing new to report but another scan is booked for July anyway

And they have booked a Norway cruise for August
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 14th Jun 17, 4:53 PM
    • 16,475 Posts
    • 192,871 Thanks
    mhoc
    So pleased for Errant...mhoc....gosh we've been with him in spirit all the way to getting this job....it's like we share a little of him with you.

I can relate to the car thing too....in my whole time driving since 17 I have only owned 5 cars.....all of which have taken me and us through some wonderful times....my car's are definitely part of the family.

Which flavour cider did you go for....I have had both and perhaps favour the rhubarb over the damson....but either way both are ones that if the price was favourable I would buy again.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    I cant believe its been an entire year since yours started uni - is he working over the summer?

Eldest child after she went up to uni she lived and worked up there, never came home in the summers - mind you we were in mortal combat so one of would have killed the other if we were ever in the same place more thsn 3 days

Same here with cars from my first one - a very ancient mini into which I had to squeeze 3 under 5s plus pushchair that folded like an umbrella between the back seats plus all of their kit to my last car - my beloved green merc that had such a death wish, 3 times it died on me in the final year - my dad was in a car home 30 miles away, Eldest child was running riot at uni, Eldest son was out in Cyprus, Errant son was at uni but living at home - I didn't have the head space to deal with a car telling me it was last orders time ...

Damson
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 14th Jun 17, 4:57 PM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 52,416 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Eldest child says we have to be nice to her as its her who will be choosing our care homes

My DD, having observed my struggles with both parents, decided long ago that when it came to me, the care home option was the only viable choice.

Mind you, care homes of the future should be very different from now. We are, after all, the rock, reggae, disco and pop generation....

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 77.24

• mhoc
    • By mhoc 14th Jun 17, 5:04 PM
    • 16,475 Posts
    • 192,871 Thanks
    mhoc
    very sad news about the tower block, not quite caught up yet. I cant believe how many people lived there, so many families have been injured or lost loved ones and all of their worldly goods.

Finding them alternative accommodation is going to be a nightmare - I seem to remember a TV series regarding the situation in London whereby they were having to send families out of the capital to places up north or they would have been forever in bed and breakfast emergency places.

I always look for the emergency exits when we are in strange buildings especially in hotels - fire alarms regularly go off in the night when we stay in hotels
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 14th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    • 16,475 Posts
    • 192,871 Thanks
    mhoc

My DD, having observed my struggles with both parents, decided long ago that when it came to me, the care home option was the only viable choice.

Mind you, care homes of the future should be very different from now. We are, after all, the rock, reggae, disco and pop generation....

Ideally if you have several children you could go on extended visits to each child's home in turn until they get fed up of you and in between times last minute cruises - cheaper than care homes
    Thats our plan anyway
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 14th Jun 17, 5:10 PM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 56,791 Thanks
    LEJC
    I cant believe its been an entire year since yours started uni - is he working over the summer?
    Madness isn't it...the time has gone so quickly.
    Poor love is still trying to adjust to planet home at the moment,that phase that we call uni jetlag.....sleeps till midday and up all night!

Although in seriousness he has a few things lined up,a few camps with the beavers,cubs and scouts to keep his hand in with them over the summer and all being well a bit of labouring with a guy that we know through the rentals .....OH is determined that DS will learn DIY painting and all the things that nowadays seem to have fallen a little by the wayside in relation to maintaining houses....so I think that will take up most of his free time once he has acclimatised.

OH also has a bathroom refit to do during his annual leave in the next couple of weeks and plans to make sure DS pulls his weight with that too.
    How much of that is going to be "paid" is anyones guess but it will keep him busy.

He has already lined up a job at the student union for September so that will be a bonus going forward and miraculously still has some grant left from this year.
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 131 out 101 in ...£14.92 spend
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 14th Jun 17, 5:33 PM
    • 26,085 Posts
    • 304,138 Thanks
    davemorton
    Ideally if you have several children you could go on extended visits to each child's home in turn until they get fed up of you and in between times last minute cruises - cheaper than care homes
    Thats our plan anyway
    Thanks MHOC, you just reminded me, a few of your kids were asking me for a website address. Could you pass it on please.
    http://www.mongolia-properties.com/
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • pippo
    • By pippo 14th Jun 17, 5:42 PM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 28,288 Thanks
    pippo
    Have some good news to share from both the boys, ds2 is now engaged she is so lovely and dd is delighted as she is her best friend . they are happily house hunting

And ds3 despite missing lots of college because of his illness and his tutor wanting him to leave has finished his first year of law at a distinction level and college have arranged for him to start a business course next year alongside law. The business is a full time course so they have never had a pupil doing the law as well, but as he has already done his welsh bac first year he will be doing law while the rest are doing the bac . . complicated but will be worth it, x
    Originally posted by rhosynbach
    Oh Rhos, I'm so pleased for you and the boys, you must be so proud.
    Toiletries/cosmetics In 31 Out 62 - cost £9.24
    • pippo
    • By pippo 14th Jun 17, 5:44 PM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 28,288 Thanks
    pippo
    Thankyou, ate a whole pack of doughnut peaches this afternoon
    Originally posted by bubbs
    I love those and can eat a whole pack in one go too!
    • tweets
    • By tweets 14th Jun 17, 5:51 PM
    • 28,629 Posts
    • 410,356 Thanks
    tweets
    Hello tweets
    Been 26 here, not looked inside bet its over 30

Hiya bubbs

Was 28 here earlier was melting in the kitchen
    Lost 3st-3lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 14th Jun 17, 5:54 PM
    • 28,629 Posts
    • 410,356 Thanks
    tweets

Must add on to this sons and daughters that us mothers and fathers and family members on the Elite are all proud of .
    Lost 3st-3lb
    • pippo
    • By pippo 14th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 28,288 Thanks
    pippo
    Mhoc, has errant son had any luck with a job?
    I was just wondering about that myself.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 14th Jun 17, 5:58 PM
    • 50,580 Posts
    • 581,431 Thanks
    bubbs
    I love those and can eat a whole pack in one go too!
    Originally posted by pippo
    Hello Pip
    Where ya been hiding?
    They are delicious Nectrines turn today but only 1 so far but a punnet of strawberries
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    [COLOR="Magenta"]Stopped Smoking 22/01/15 -3 st 10 1/2 lb week 26
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 14th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    • 50,580 Posts
    • 581,431 Thanks
    bubbs
    Hiya bubbs

Was 28 here earlier was melting in the kitchen
    Originally posted by tweets
    Dont worry you will be getting wet soon enough
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    [COLOR="Magenta"]Stopped Smoking 22/01/15 -3 st 10 1/2 lb week 26
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

75Posts Today

1,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin