Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 12,298Posts
    • 35,015Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 16th Jun 16 at 8:32 PM

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.

Last edited by redfox; 30-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Page 1164
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 12th Oct 17, 9:54 PM
    • 34,058 Posts
    • 450,354 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Anyway the awful news we are have been waiting on this week came this afternoon.

Errant son has lost his main job – he was still on probation so with very little warning you can be dismissed. It’s one of the hazards of the outdoor sports industry, they are very keen to recruit in the summer but once the busy summer period is over and they can’t afford to keep paying you over the winter then you end up out of a job. Companies make out that jobs are full time permeant contracts because otherwise no one would apply if they were just described as summer contracts. Then when you are taken on you are under 3 or 6 months’ probation and then any excuse/reason is found close to the end to let you go when you still have no legal rights under employment law. It has happened to him twice this year so you can see why we are very cynical.

He is in a better position now than he was in March – then he was both jobless and homeless. At least he has us now supporting him and a roof over his head. And he still has the second job which is technically his main employer now. They are very good with giving him extra hours and calling him in when they get short staffed. For the last few days he has been in early so he can cover for a chef that is ill – doing 100 covers which means plating up 100 identical plated meals.

But the rate of pay is only £7.50 an hour so there are just not enough days and hours in a week to make up for the salary he has now lost. His plan at the moment is to do shifts 7 days a week at least for the next 8 weeks or so – he mostly starts at 3 in the afternoon until 11 at night but sometimes he does an evening followed by a breakfast shift at the weekend so he stays over in staff quarters. He has been doing about 70 hours a week between the 2 jobs so this is actually slightly better hours.

All of his future plans have gone down the pan for now. He was managing to save very well, saving most of his wages from the hotel so his wages from the main job covered his bills – bank loan, credit card, fuel, van insurance, phone etc. – and he was sending money back.

He was starting to build up a good amount of savings for a deposit. Even on his main job low wages he could have got a mortgage on a small flat or terraced house in our nearest city for under £60k. But the hotel work is too low paid even for that.

Rented accommodation around here is quite expensive – starting at £500 a month so with that and bills (electric, gas, house rates, water, insurance plus his bank loans, credit card, fuel, phone etc) it’s just not feasible.
    Plus for rentals he would need a months deposit and a months rent and all of the fees letting agency cost plus references etc so that would take a huge lump out of his savings.

So for now he will continue to live with us.
    This means he won’t be able to apply for the spousal visa. For that he needs to have his own accommodation which is not going to happen. He also needs an income over a certain amount – the main job didn’t really meet the criteria but he had his 2nd job as well so between the 2 he earned enough. Now he just has the hotel job which is just too low paid.

I asked him if he was going back to doing work for the temping agency but they messed his around so much I think he would only do this if the hotel work dried up. The temping agency paid £60 a shift but they want people who can do full weeks and slotting it in with the hotel shifts would mean doing two eight hour shift every day, back to back.

One of the first things he did once he was back in work and getting a salary in August was organise a months holiday so he can go back and see the wife over Christmas. This was so he could use the bank holidays and so he could all of his leave in one fell swoop during the less busy quiet times. His main employer had no objection to this – it does make you wonder now if they allowed this as they knew they would not be employing him by December.

So he booked his flights and he has paid for his train fares so at least that is paid for. As for spending money it will have to come out his deposit savings money now.

The hotel were less happy about his being on holiday over their busiest period but as they were the 2nd employer at the time and he was doing far more hours than he was contracted to do then they had to lump it.

Plan B is now in place and he has been organising it this week. He did have it set up in the summer but things on hold until next year – he has an Army selection event booked to go to in November – 2 day course and it’s at the same centre as his big brother went to so at least he will get a lot of advice and support from his brother.
    As to whether he will get through selection – well his brother found it very tough going but it was totally what he wanted to do and army life was the making of him, maybe it will be for Errant son as well.
    So Errant son now has 3 weeks of preparation ahead to get him through this selection weekend.
    As to where his is emotionally and in his head – I don’t know really as he is quite closed off. I suppose you go through a sort of grieving process and I think he is at the angry and enraged stage .

As they say you are only as happy as your most miserable child
    Originally posted by mhoc
    Oh sorry to hear all this mhoc but you know what....I'm sure he won't be beat.....he's a damn hard worker....young, fit and healthy. At least he has his month away over Christmas to look forward too. Hopefully he will come back refreshed. He must be so looking forward to seeing his wife
    Things will work out mhoc......rarely do they go smoothly but that's life. Wishing him all the luck in the world. He deserves it.
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Nebnalon
    • By Nebnalon 12th Oct 17, 10:12 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Nebnalon
    Nivea Q10 anti age care hand cream 75ml
    A £3 Vs W £2.33
    342 after APG £1.10 each
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Oct 17, 10:15 PM
    • 51,044 Posts
    • 584,577 Thanks
    bubbs
    I am pleased to see alot of new 3 4 2 thats what i usually do Nebnalon take the pics the look when home
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :-3 st 11 lb week 28
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 12th Oct 17, 10:21 PM
    • 36,045 Posts
    • 151,569 Thanks
    silvercar
    [QUOTE=mhocAnyway the awful news we are have been waiting on this week came this afternoon.

Errant son has lost his main job – he was still on probation so with very little warning you can be dismissed. It’s one of the hazards of the outdoor sports industry, they are very keen to recruit in the summer but once the busy summer period is over and they can’t afford to keep paying you over the winter then you end up out of a job. Companies make out that jobs are full time permeant contracts because otherwise no one would apply if they were just described as summer contracts. Then when you are taken on you are under 3 or 6 months’ probation and then any excuse/reason is found close to the end to let you go when you still have no legal rights under employment law. It has happened to him twice this year so you can see why we are very cynical.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear this. I hope they pay out all the holiday entitlement he is due for the time he has worked over the Summer.

So for now he will continue to live with us.
    This means he won’t be able to apply for the spousal visa. For that he needs to have his own accommodation which is not going to happen.
    I'm surprised by this. I knew that you needed sufficient income, I didn't know you needed your own accommodation.
    • 3Dogs
    • By 3Dogs 12th Oct 17, 10:26 PM
    • 13,687 Posts
    • 141,873 Thanks
    3Dogs
    Thanks 3Dogs. It's amazing what one can do with taking a few photos on a mobile phone when it's quiet and then price checking later.
    There's a few items there that maybe of interest to someone, plus could be handy for a mixed basket if the starting price is the same
    Originally posted by Nebnalon
    It's just what we all needed, so thanks again. I have adjusted your figures on some of them so you may want to check post 20

Thanks WMC....and others who post through the day. I peeped into the thread at work, spotted this and bought one on the way home from work.
    Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    My friends use this and love it
    Mr 3Dogs 3-7-12 3Dogs'Mam 31-3-13

FRUGAL groceries Oct £55.98, Nov £62.96, Dec £43.46, Jan £68.88, Feb £86.58, Mar X, Apr £52.73, May X, June £94.72, July £69.82, Aug £99.39, Sept X
    NSD Oct 18, Nov 16, Dec 21, Jan 16, Feb 19, Mar 19, Apr 20, May 16, June 19, July 20, Aug 21, Sept 19, Oct 9/16
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 12th Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 34,058 Posts
    • 450,354 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Oh our lovely 3dogs

Sorry to hear about that black dog following you around these days

Is it worth getting checked out by the doctor Susan? A meds review perhaps.

You do so well putting yourself out there when most likely you really want to curl up under your duvet.

Sending you all my love x
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Oct 17, 10:38 PM
    • 51,044 Posts
    • 584,577 Thanks
    bubbs
    TM
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 12th Oct 17, 10:42 PM
    • 34,058 Posts
    • 450,354 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    20p on SEL in A today.

Loads of Belvita reduced to 60p and one of those tall crates full of large Purina One for £2.50

To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 12th Oct 17, 10:43 PM
    • 34,058 Posts
    • 450,354 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    TM
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Hello bubbs....did you enjoy Eden Camp?
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Oct 17, 10:46 PM
    • 51,044 Posts
    • 584,577 Thanks
    bubbs
    Hello bubbs....did you enjoy Eden Camp?
    Yes was very interesting, been Whitby today tomorrow we are going here http://www.welcometopickering.co.uk/what-s-on/pickering-1940s-wartime-weekend/ think the weekend would be better but we will be going home then
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 12th Oct 17, 10:48 PM
    • 34,058 Posts
    • 450,354 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Check emails for Living Social invitation

£5 off a £10 spend.

They have those Santa toilet sets that folks were buying last year for £6.99

Ends midnight tonight
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Anon
    • By Anon 12th Oct 17, 10:53 PM
    • 12,179 Posts
    • 133,011 Thanks
    Anon
    Not sure if mentioned, CS/CoS free 4 tray pack of Butchers Choice dog food.

Anon
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 12th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 34,058 Posts
    • 450,354 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Not sure if mentioned, CS/CoS free 4 tray pack of Butchers Choice dog food.

Anon
    Originally posted by Anon
    Yes it's been mentioned

Sorry

To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 12th Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    • 34,058 Posts
    • 450,354 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    50p off Santamaria stuff in Sains

https://www.santamariaworld.com/globalassets/uk/spices/sm0001-online-coupon-sainsb.pdf
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Anon
    • By Anon 12th Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    • 12,179 Posts
    • 133,011 Thanks
    Anon
    Yes it's been mentioned

Sorry

Better twice or more than not at all .

Anon
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 12th Oct 17, 11:04 PM
    • 26,223 Posts
    • 305,092 Thanks
    davemorton
    Yes was very interesting, been Whitby today tomorrow we are going here http://www.welcometopickering.co.uk/what-s-on/pickering-1940s-wartime-weekend/ think the weekend would be better but we will be going home then
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Wow, that will be brilliant. You will be able to imagine you are in your teens again
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 12th Oct 17, 11:07 PM
    • 26,223 Posts
    • 305,092 Thanks
    davemorton
    Zag/anyone else....What metal could this be? It is a silver/grey, dull not shiney, and its used for a kitchen weight. It isnt lead as its hard. It isnt magnetic. Any ideas anyone please?
    Im thinking Aluminum, but that seems a strange metal to make a kitchen weight out of.
    Edit: ahh, could be zinc.

Edit2: file the metal and put vinegar on the zinc it'll foam up a bit. On the aluminium the vinegar will stay clear.

Edit 3: Shiny when scraped, no fizzing when I put malt vinegar on it.
    Last edited by davemorton; 12-10-2017 at 11:19 PM.
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 12th Oct 17, 11:11 PM
    • 34,058 Posts
    • 450,354 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Free extra side with M&S Indian takeaway

Also free bottle of wine when you spend £85 or over on Food to Order.

Streetlights could feed a village for that

To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 12th Oct 17, 11:12 PM
    • 34,058 Posts
    • 450,354 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Zag/anyone else....What metal could this be? It is a silver/grey, dull not shiney, and its used for a kitchen weight. It isnt lead as its hard. It isnt magnetic. Any ideas anyone please?
    Im thinking Aluminum, but that seems a strange metal to make a kitchen weight out of.
    Edit: ahh, could be zinc.
    Originally posted by davemorton
    Has someone painted a stone

QT is very boring tonight
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Anon
    • By Anon 12th Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    • 12,179 Posts
    • 133,011 Thanks
    Anon
    According to MSM, 150g Kettle have gone on offer in M at £1.

If these appear the same as the 250g packs on the receipt, they may be profitable on CoS ...

Untested.

HTH

Anon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,569Posts Today

7,596Users online

Martin's Twitter