Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 12,311Posts
    • 35,042Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 16th Jun 16 at 8:32 PM

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.

Last edited by redfox; 30-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Page 1120
    • wendyak
    • By wendyak 5th Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 2,492 Posts
    • 37,740 Thanks
    wendyak
    Not since 6th Form, so we're talking early 70s here

For some strange reason, school took us all, by train, apart from tired feet all I can remember is eating and drinking our way through loads of freebies on the long journey home.
    Originally posted by Serendipitious
    Oh memories..
    I went in the 5th form. It was an all girls grammar school and we were very naughty despite them being strict. My old dad used to call it St Trinians !!
    I remember on the way to London we passed another coach and it was all velvet curtains and posh lamps. Once we drew level we could see the sign writing and people inside- it was none other than Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel. They were all the ra ge and they blew us kisses which made us even more wild.
    We only bought one thing while there, think it was called magic balloons. You blew them up with a straw from a piece of plastic dough, can't even imagine what he point was ......
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 5th Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    • 34,154 Posts
    • 451,105 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    25p back on snsave

To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 5th Oct 17, 10:21 PM
    • 26,237 Posts
    • 305,234 Thanks
    davemorton
    We only bought one thing while there, think it was called magic balloons. You blew them up with a straw from a piece of plastic dough, can't even imagine what he point was ......
    Originally posted by wendyak
    WOW!! They are my favourite toy of all time!!! Think Hamleys still sell it. Love it.

I used to go down to London once a year when I was a child, and was let loose in Hamleys (oh how much bigger it seemed then) and always got a tube of that stuff.
    (Yes, I can remember that far back!!)
    Edit: There you go, packaging has changed a bit.
    http://www.hamleys.com/hamleys-magic-plastic-4pack.ir
    Edit2: It could have been the rather nice solvent smell that attracted me to them
    Last edited by davemorton; 05-10-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • wendyak
    • By wendyak 5th Oct 17, 10:22 PM
    • 2,492 Posts
    • 37,740 Thanks
    wendyak
    Thanks

Enjoy yours too, we are going Yorkshire Sat for a week
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Have a lovely time Bubbs and thank you for the SW info xxx
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 5th Oct 17, 10:24 PM
    • 34,154 Posts
    • 451,105 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Also 50p back on bread with snap and save and 50p back on 300g hobknobs

To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 5th Oct 17, 10:25 PM
    • 19,982 Posts
    • 256,411 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Another £4 is not too bad either. Again, the best overall comp. is against M. I think the majority I am getting are against M - seem to have only one or two against S and W each and about two against T over the last several weeks, the rest all triggered by M.

M has seemed to be such a good store with its offers due to this, that it's no wonder I've decided to be there this week.

At last!! Someone has bought a single multipack of crisps.

1x Walkers Cheese & Onion Crisps (6x25g) £1.50 £1.00

Two multipacks would have been nicer, they should surely have stretched to that, but I am glad they have not bought 3. (Three would still have worked against M, only if M is best comp. overall as it indeed fortuitously is, but would have given less - as you know, I don't like equivalent £1s vs £1s as they don't add much and run greater risk, because of their low value, of being lost altogether by other items in the shop being much more expensive at competitors.)

Persil at £7 is good too (on a womble...where M is otherwise best overall). High on these is generally £10 and low is £5. Not £5 at the moment - £7 could go either way (indeed it did go the other way vs everywhere else, not a great loss as only £8 elsewhere, in fact no loss at all as M is best overall) - but fortunately it is £6 and therefore lower than £7:

1x Persil Small & Mighty Washing Liquid Bio 40 Washes (1.4ltr) £7.00 £6.00
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 05-10-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    M lists - post 24450+ for now (page 612).
    Partially expired version earlier: this week's new items missing - posts 22772-3 (page 570) and 22982 (page 575).
    SP list - page 548, posts 21900-21903 [A price on fish fingers not yet altered throughout; noticed kievs gone up now - not yet got round to amending].
    My ref.: previously page 535 (21371).
    • wendyak
    • By wendyak 5th Oct 17, 10:25 PM
    • 2,492 Posts
    • 37,740 Thanks
    wendyak
    WOW!! They are my favourite toy of all time!!! Think Hamleys still sell it. Love it.

I used to go down to London once a year when I was a child, and was let loose in Hamleys (oh how much bigger it seemed then) and always got a tube of that stuff.
    (Yes, I can remember that far back!!)
    Originally posted by davemorton
    It was in the seventies, when there was lots of money about (and lots of power cuts), it was very expensive.
    I think the attraction is the guey consistency and if I remember it had a smell too, lol xx
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 5th Oct 17, 10:26 PM
    • 36,084 Posts
    • 151,750 Thanks
    silvercar
    Good grief - Eldest child is expecting us to get on the Northern Line and get ourselves to Charing Cross - on our own without her guiding us through so neither of us (OK me really) goes into meltdown.

Yes its only 6 stops, I can manage that bit, actually being on the tube but its the getting ourselves onto a Northern Line platform facing the right direction from Euston

Not keen on escalators and hate the winding passageways and everyone running hell bent to get where they need to be
    Originally posted by mhoc
    Euston is geared up to tourists. You will be fine. You want the 'Northern Line southbound via Charing Cross' branch. Paying with a contactless debit or credit card is much cheaper than buying a ticket for cash and means you don't need to queue at the ticket office or buy at the machine.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 5th Oct 17, 10:30 PM
    • 34,154 Posts
    • 451,105 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    I've found a receipt with 3 for 2 toiletries on, two of which don't show on the receipt.

Am I right in thinking it's no use anyway as the 342 discount isn't showing on the APG?
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • aau1
    • By aau1 5th Oct 17, 10:40 PM
    • 18,836 Posts
    • 323,918 Thanks
    aau1
    Anyone after those things posted on HUKD (still cant find the link) by Braveheart, I think these work out cheaper dependant on your options.
    To be fair.....he did say it was from 10 ways
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 5th Oct 17, 10:41 PM
    • 34,154 Posts
    • 451,105 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Oh bubbs....worry not...it's just a little blip. Your body's just having a breather.

You'll be fighting fit after your jollies

Did anyone read the news stories at the weekend about lack of sleep and how it can have a devastating effect on your long term health....I haven't been able to sleep since
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 5th Oct 17, 10:47 PM
    • 26,237 Posts
    • 305,234 Thanks
    davemorton
    To be fair.....he did say it was from 10 ways
    Originally posted by aau1
    Pah?! Theres ten mins of my life I spent hunting I will never get back.
    Ta for letting me know though.
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 5th Oct 17, 10:47 PM
    • 19,982 Posts
    • 256,411 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Not too fussed with this as no voucher from this shop.

Vs M
    1x Oreo Original Biscuits (154g) £1.08 £0.50

I think we are still on Monday unfortunately, making the pork pie small glitch potentially now very shortlived indeed, as these biscuits are comparing against old M price - they look to me that they went up to £1.04 in M on Wednesday. (Could be fortunate if you really want the Oreo Biscuits or if you have wombles - in fact if you have wombles with Oreo biscuits on I would check them sharpish as they will probably be a worse comp. vs M tomorrow, potentially could lose small vouchers altogether - I think we should not have been able to get £1.08 vs 50p as I think they went up from 50p in A to £1.08 on the same day as M appears to have increased its price - should have been 50p vs 50p one day and £1.08 vs £1.04 going by actual real time prices, but APG delay has allowed this - if you really want Oreo Biscuits vs 50p M, this may be good; however I think you are running on borrowed time and risk a price update against £1.04 appearing by the time you check your shop if you've not already done the shop. Several Oreo Biscuits in M - so it is not just Original version - all were 50p at the start of the week in M, all apparently went up there on Wednesday.)

Vs M
    (Monday result on same shop done tonight, I think)
    1x Terry's Chocolate Orange (157g) £1.00 £1.00

Wish they had bought this when it was £2 in A rather than now. If we are on Monday, as I think we are, no guarantee that this will have picked up £1 on Wednesday (and will therefore continue once update reaches the system) but it should have done.

Oh well, that's me no longer buying pork pies this weekend so I have saved money by not going to buy them now.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 05-10-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    M lists - post 24450+ for now (page 612).
    Partially expired version earlier: this week's new items missing - posts 22772-3 (page 570) and 22982 (page 575).
    SP list - page 548, posts 21900-21903 [A price on fish fingers not yet altered throughout; noticed kievs gone up now - not yet got round to amending].
    My ref.: previously page 535 (21371).
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 5th Oct 17, 10:49 PM
    • 34,154 Posts
    • 451,105 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Anon...have you heard anything back from Argos....think we submitted our botched reviews about the same time

Does anyone have a Nectar strategy for tomorrow...anyone planning to go first thing?

I was so low on petrol today I had to put a fiver in
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 5th Oct 17, 10:56 PM
    • 26,237 Posts
    • 305,234 Thanks
    davemorton
    Anon...have you heard anything back from Argos....think we submitted our botched reviews about the same time

Does anyone have a Nectar strategy for tomorrow...anyone planning to go first thing?

I was so low on petrol today I had to put a fiver in
    Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    If I can shave a few mins off my morning routine, I hope to be able to put a tenner in on the way to work.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 5th Oct 17, 10:57 PM
    • 34,154 Posts
    • 451,105 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    £1 token for roald dahl books with every happy meal

https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/latest/happy-meal.html
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 5th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 34,154 Posts
    • 451,105 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    If I can shave a few mins off my morning routine, I hope to be able to put a tenner in on the way to work.
    Just skip Brushing your teeth
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 5th Oct 17, 11:00 PM
    • 26,237 Posts
    • 305,234 Thanks
    davemorton
    Just skip Brushing your teeth
    Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    And where can I get the other 1 min 40 seconds from?
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 5th Oct 17, 11:00 PM
    • 34,154 Posts
    • 451,105 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Take the 2 week better skin challenge with Cuticura

http://www.cuticura.co.uk/2-week-challenge/sample
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 5th Oct 17, 11:01 PM
    • 34,154 Posts
    • 451,105 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    And where can I get the other 1 min 40 seconds from?
    One Weetabix instead of two
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,006Posts Today

9,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin