Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 12,298Posts
    • 35,015Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 16th Jun 16 at 8:32 PM

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.

Last edited by redfox; 30-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Page 1115
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 5th Oct 17, 10:29 AM
    • 19,887 Posts
    • 255,723 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    I have to admit I quite like 12A film....It tends to have a story to it with minimal swearing and isn't too graphic,more implied rather than showing things in too much detail.

Once you get on to a 15 film nowadays it's usually got a little too many expletives and an 18 just seems to be as much blood guts and gore that they can get away with....I'm sure it's a sign of the times rather than me "becoming a prude" but I think films were a lot gentler 20 years ago.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    Now that's interesting. The only problem I've ever had in the cinema was with a 12-rated film. I'm fine with 15 and 18. That said there was once a film, a long time ago, that my dad put on at home that I wish I hadn't seen - someone with their head being cut up and their brains showing. That one - I didn't like that tiny part of the film too much, but I was completely fine after a few seconds. I've had it on my mind for only about a total of 10 seconds in the 20 years ever since, so things sometimes can come back years after an event. It wasn't "traumatic", just a bit "ugh...".

I think some things can get better over time. When I first learned about something at the age of 11, I thought it was a bit disgusting. But, when I thought about it at 16, I was fine. Now it is totally normal. "Disgusting" is rarely indeed in my vocabulary as almost nothing disgusts me. Disgust is a very very strong word, a bit like the word "hate" that people drop a little too often. They say, for example, they hate the bad weather. Well, if you "hate" something like that, then what word have you got left to describe things that are truly worthing of hate? The only things I would hate or call disgusting are terrorist acts of actual murder and shootings and rape and child abuse and little all else. If anything less than those is "horrible" or "disgusting", then I don't know what word you have in reserve to describe the things that really are.

Nonetheless, I underplay things too - or, probably, unfortunately be more truthful; it's "unfortunate" because I don't sell myself - I edge (hedge?) things in with qualifications or caveats that make me look worse. People all the time, especially advertisers, describe things as "great". "Today's great sale...", "The station with the greatest music." I wouldn't describe things as "great", just "very good" as hardly anything is that good to me.

I don't know if films were gentler twenty years ago although maybe some classifications have been reduced. There are also some U-rated films that regularly gain complaints and won't be U if rated today. "Universal, sutiable for all" - clearly not. The film that wasn't "gentle" for me was about twenty years ago, but that was one small bit in just one film - I don't know whether films generally are more what people think as graphic than what they were. It depends what people would call "graphic", different people would think different things have gone too far whilst other people would be absolutely fine and I don't know whether some of us have become desensitized to some things - which, sometimes, is not necessarily a bad thing. I don't think we should ever see graphic violence as normal and, if encountered in real life - I hope I never do, it would be very shocking. However I don't think words should be a problem - however they can on very rare occasions be precursors to violence themselves. All depends on how things are said by someone and the general behaviour of the person in question. It's all about context. But, then, everything is about context.

But then, with autism, I am a little context-blind.

Perhaps at least as far as anything obvious and stand out coming straight to me - I have to think about it in order to work out the "context" that I "know" it really meant. It's interesting to me that it may explain why I seem to be able to withstand all sorts of scenes that seem to freak many people out. I just don't understand it - I view films differently to 'everyone else' anyway - always have and never realised it until quite recently - I never get any plotline, just like a series of scenes (although that's not quite accurate, don't know how to describe it) and I don't link any of them together. I think the scenes freaking people out must have some emotional content that just completely passes me by - and yesterday, or day before, on the news they were saying that people were "clearly" distressed or "the emotion obvious in his voice" (referring to a police officer soon on the scene of the devastating Las Vegas shooting). It wasn't obvious to me at all - I couldn't hear any upset in his voice. I thought I got tone of voice, knowing whether people are asking a question by raising their voice towards the end or making a statement for example. But maybe this shows there are subtleties behind, or in, tone that are just not there to me. I'm grateful that the news reporters and presenter, on three occasions together in a short space of time, were telling me that things were clear and were obvious, none of which I could hear or see.

I got nothing of that on seeing their face - they were not clearly distressed at all to me. They were almost nothing - they were obviously not happy as something terrible had happened but I didn't get that, several hours later in a news conference, they were visibly distressed. That was not visible (to me). The Especially as they were the police commander or whatever, that I expect not to be distressed by things that didn't personally happen to them but I'd have thought, encountering it so often, would have been emotionally detached - however the Las Vegas tragedy does seem to have gone, for many people, a lot further than the senselessly regular gun killings that happen in the USA. "Distressed" is one thing - and I may not see it as people may be distressed inside but not always show it - but "clearly" distressed would have to be absolutely overt and obvious to me. The level of "clear distress" on the officer's face was not clear or obvious to me. The newscasters were not being untrue however - it is like them saying "As you can see..." and someone in their audience being blind. They clearly can't see, so, no, to them, it's not "as I can see". Nonetheless, the newscasters are speaking therefore from what a person without a disability can see - and, to me, yes I can see it - if it's just some event that the newsreader is describing - unless it's emotions on people's faces or things like this. Those are not there and the newscaster is, very helpful I find, telling me they are (which, of course, they are, to the vast majority of people).

Just realised that I have been editing and editing and now written way too much.

For completeness, I don't know how you can ever have too much "swearing" in a film - it's just not possible to me. Either I'm in a place in which swearing causes me to be uncomfortable, in which case a single use is too much. Or I'm not, in which case no amount can ever be too much, unless the environment changes into one in which I'm uncomfortable. Then again, I notice that you didn't say "too much swearing" at that point, you said too many "expletives". I think you mean them the same or as synonymous - however, swearing and expletives are different concepts to me. By "expletives", you mean "swearing" in general (maybe excluding so-called milder swearing that you might not see as swearing but other people might) although you have said "expletives" at that point, just as a relaxed description rather than a precise term of art, but to me, strictly, "expletives" means words used in points of emotion that are interjection uses of words and does not include all swearing - swearing in normal conversation that is not uttered as an exclamation is therefore, for me, not an "expletive" use, even if it may be swearing - or maybe not, I have no idea whether a particular word is a swear word and would have to say "I don't know whether it is swearing or is not" since different percentages of people and different dictionaries say or suggest it is and some non-insignificant minority say or suggest it isn't. I have no idea anymore what is now in plain slang and what is in taboo ("swearing") - I do not know if some words that are not slang but are informal (marked as such in dictionaries) can still be swear words as some, or many, people describe those words as that - I think swearing has to be a slang word and informal words are never swear words, but many people seem to think some of them are and I've no idea whether non-informal non-slang words, such as racist words, are "swear words" or whether they are a separate concept of inappropriate or discriminatory language and not swearing.

And, in the course of trying to find out, I have come across several words that, for over forty years I have never known were swearing, that some person bizarrely to me seems to think they are - total news to me! - that are not generally considered to be swearing or have either been omitted from research on that and maybe they always were but somehow I was never told. Is the formal, normal word "lust" a swear word for instance? It gets through here no problem and I don't think many people have considered it to be a swear word - I have never known it was and no dictionary at all has any marking to indicate anything else. Well, it appears in a "list of swear words" on one website. So, after that, I now have no idea what might be swearing to any single person anywhere at all and therefore what might be swearing. There has also been some change in the language or people's perceptions of it and I do not know the precise moment at which something has moved into swearing or whether it still has not done so or when or whether it is yet to happen some words that were swear words twenty years ago no longer are (one dictionary suggests that has happened, more than two others have yet to say it has). So, I have no idea what "swearing" is anymore. What do you mean, you don't know? some people might ask me. And then I would have to give the long explanation and say that is now why I do not. I wouldn't say "lust" was a swear word. But, if I say that of one word - that I have never known to be a swear word - then I might say it of any other, including words that I have thought to be swearing. Clearly, one person thought "lust" was a swear so, to them, they would be in my position that I would have over another word that I have thought was swearing but maybe it has never been.

The 'trouble' is that some words may be "swear words" - or maybe they aren't any longer? - but they are used generally and seem to be generally accepted even between strangers - so, maybe, something may be being considered to be swearing but not objected to because, even if it is swearing, it doesn't matter. I have no idea about whether or not it is being considered to be a swear word however because, if it is, people are not objecting to it anyway thus giving me no clue that that individual moment was considered to be a swear but still considered acceptable. And, if their eyebrow is rising but they are not verbally expressing any disagreement, then I am not seeing their eyebrow move anyway so not getting any clue. Of course, I know what words might generally be considered to be out-and-out swearing but, at the edges of that, I don't know where the line between "swear word" and "not a swear word" lies. And then maybe I don't know what is out-and-out as even some of the (medium range) of the "out-and-out" might not be swear words. A dictionary removing its taboo label thirteen years ago from one word that I thought was more severe whilst keeping the label on a lesser word for me has upset the applecart. And I am right as latest research commissioned by Ofcom indicates the word that they now mark is mere slang and claim to be "acceptable in speech" is generally under the column marked "strong" but the one they have as "taboo" is considered merely "medium" (it seems to have gone up the scale - as it was considered mild from 1996 all the way to 2006, when it was, like all swearing back then, very strong for me. I don't know how it goes from mild to medium - it is nowadays mild or not swearing to me, I have no idea what it is; it seems to depend on which group of several thousand people they happen to ask).

The BBC bleeps a word that I have never considered to be swearing only to broadcast an unbleeped word twenty minutes later that I have considered to be. Then, a week later, it broadcasts the word that I didn't think was swearing with no bleeping and even before the watershed and now bleeps something else that is a less severe word than that one that it bleeped before the week before after 9pm - so it is itself in confusion and giving an impartial message that reflects the confusion. (Just shows how the bleeping is hopeless and does nothing anyway - that I still know which words they were - doing nothing now other than drawing unwanted attention to words, the sometimes delicate words that are the very ones that are best not drawn attention to, and loudly announcing them out and annoying me by making an issue about something being offensive that not bleeped was not. I get very annoyed and offended by bleeped language these days but the unbleeped words completely fine.)
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 05-10-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    M list - posts 22772-3 (page 570 on 40 posts).
    Buy in M/Tvs M - post 22982 (page 575 on 40 posts).
    SP list - now page 548, posts 21900-21903.
    For my reference: was previously page 535 (21371).
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 5th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 9,176 Posts
    • 57,555 Thanks
    LEJC
    Although on the subject of the film last night was I the only one who just kept reverting back to "the crown" every time Claire Foy was on screen....she seems to be the actress of desire to producers and directors at the moment ....but when they keep casting her in roles of the 50's and 60's I just automatically go back to the crown.

It was the same a few years back when every film I seemed to go and see had the girl in from that family programme on the tv with Hugh Dennis as the dad...she played Karen but I can't think of her name!
    frugal October...£29.92 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 141 out 118 in ...£14.92 spend
    • braveheart60uk
    • By braveheart60uk 5th Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 20,619 Thanks
    braveheart60uk
    For those who have Chicago Town free Kitchen Pizza coupons, mine expire 15/11/17 Mr T has then 1/2 price intil 17/10, so If A keep £1.50, a tidy profit from T in a targeted shop, so keep hold just in case. Also keep for conditional spends when at £3
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 5th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 14,516 Posts
    • 243,928 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    Good Morning Llovelies

Fourp VAX cleaning other half of sitting room...
    I'm like an island amongst the stacked furniture

Didn't it rain last night?
    Absolutely hammering down so much Mrs Tibbs has peed in her bed
    Bed in machine, she is cast adrift without her bed ...
    Our Family Motto ~
    ♦ If all else fails - read the instructions ♦

• aau1
    • By aau1 5th Oct 17, 11:06 AM
    • 18,833 Posts
    • 323,864 Thanks
    aau1
    Free Coffee at Hotel Chocolat until Sunday 8th October (18 locations - see below)

Just show them the image from this FB post:

BELFAST CITY HALL
    BEVERLEY
    BURY ST. EDMUNDS
    CAMBRIDGE
    CHELMSFORD
    CHESHIRE OAKS
    CLARKS VILLAGE
    EDINBURGH
    GLASGOW BUCHANAN ST
    LEEDS CHOCOLATE METROPOLIS
    LIVERPOOL
    LONDON - COVENT GARDEN
    LONDON - COVENT GARDEN PIAZZA
    LONDON - EUSTON TRAIN STATION
    LONDON RABOT 1745
    MILTON KEYNES
    PETERBOROUGH
    WORCESTER
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 5th Oct 17, 11:13 AM
    • 14,516 Posts
    • 243,928 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    hornetgirl was again yesterday's smartest player!

24 players played

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=99008

Today's Topic (Thursday): World : UK

Our Family Motto ~
    ♦ If all else fails - read the instructions ♦

• Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 5th Oct 17, 11:44 AM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 53,210 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Free Bodyform came in the post, thanks to the OP, can't remember who it was, sorry.

Outer packaging has 2 x 50p mocs printed on it, valid till 5/2018.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 82.74

• Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 5th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 19,887 Posts
    • 255,723 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Yes totally agreed too much nudity and profanity. A story of true love and strength.
    Originally posted by mrs lds
    I know what "nudity" is and have never had any problems with that (the favourite that make "everyone" laugh is the advisory about "brief nudity" - wow, brief nudity!), but what is "profanity"? And is it any different from "swearing"? TIA*.

*Roll around - clearly not expecting any response.

What is profanity though? It's a serious question. The racist words seem "profane" to me nowadays, but the swear words (or what used to be swear words) do not. So, maybe profanity is now mutually exclusive from swearing - profanity is racist language and does not cover any swearing at all. From this, I may appear to be at cross purposes, misunderstanding you to be referring to racist language when you meant swearing (whatever that is in the year 2017) but I know what you mean really. Or at least I think I do.

Of course - the point is that the story is about love and strength. Totally missed that one.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 05-10-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    • Poppea
    • By Poppea 5th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 12,299 Thanks
    Poppea
    Just noticed the Percol offer on Shopmium ends in 12 hours. I thought it was supposed to last 7 days That's well & truly stuffed up my Sainsburys shop (to get the bonus Nectar points) tomorrow.
    Why do people profess to loving the sun/heat then, when it comes, start complaining?😠 At least I'm consistent. I#HateHeat☀️ &#LoveRain🌧️😍

"Rain is grace; rain is the sky descending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life."
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 5th Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 16,711 Posts
    • 194,377 Thanks
    mhoc
    Free Bodyform came in the post, thanks to the OP, can't remember who it was, sorry.

Outer packaging has 2 x 50p mocs printed on it, valid till 5/2018.
    Originally posted by Serendipitious
    and some types are £1 in Superdrug
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • aau1
    • By aau1 5th Oct 17, 11:58 AM
    • 18,833 Posts
    • 323,864 Thanks
    aau1
    Just noticed the Percol offer on Shopmium ends in 12 hours. I thought it was supposed to last 7 days That's well & truly stuffed up my Sainsburys shop (to get the bonus Nectar points) tomorrow.
    Originally posted by Poppea
    best just wait and see. Shopmium offers stop/restart all the time
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • Poppea
    • By Poppea 5th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 12,299 Thanks
    Poppea
    best just wait and see. Shopmium offers stop/restart all the time
    Originally posted by aau1
    Yes, I guess I'll just have to hope for the best.
    Why do people profess to loving the sun/heat then, when it comes, start complaining?😠 At least I'm consistent. I#HateHeat☀️ &#LoveRain🌧️😍

"Rain is grace; rain is the sky descending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life."
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 5th Oct 17, 12:04 PM
    • 16,711 Posts
    • 194,377 Thanks
    mhoc
    I've got the 3 free babyfoods from Superdrug on my COS and on OHs COS - needless to say I was in a different Superdrug yesterday and they might have stocked them

They keep popping up at intervals - I think I will have to put the car before the horse and keep an eye out for them and then whenever they do re appear I will know where to go.

OH is fed up of me whittering on about baby food
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 5th Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    • 19,887 Posts
    • 255,723 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    I know I like to confuse people, put a little worm in the applecart, by suggesting that each individual word has a specific and precise (but not necessary exact) meaning and does not mean the exactly the same as another word when people may think it does or use it as if it does.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 5th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 19,887 Posts
    • 255,723 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Yes totally agreed too much nudity and profanity. A story of true love and strength.
    Originally posted by mrs lds
    A succinct answer compared to... well I won't quote it fully...

Now that's interesting. The only problem I've ever had in the cinema... [snip]
    Originally posted by Savvybuyer
    I am surprised that both managed to get two thanks - mine should have had none. Thank you for bearing with me, and I'm sorry.

(Is "snip" a swear word? I suppose, if you call someone a "snip" in a bad way, then I suppose it could be.)
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 05-10-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    • LANGO1966
    • By LANGO1966 5th Oct 17, 12:14 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 25,215 Thanks
    LANGO1966
    Kabuto noodles on Shopium buy three for 60% back.
    £2 in Tosco v £1.50 Sada could add to brand gaurantee shop if you like these.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 5th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 53,210 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    My problem with the cinema is the sound volume, I have perfect hearing and simply cannot cope with the sound system being so loud. Also the screen size is overbearingly large.

Which means I choose not to go, unless it's a case of escorting the g/kids, I'd make an exception for that, but that is rare.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 82.74

• tpwl66
    • By tpwl66 5th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    tpwl66
    You are welcome use post image, zippy has a guide on page 1

You never know swap the wrong things now up your water you may have a surprise
    My weigh in tomorrow
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Afternoon, everyone, Bubbs tried doing Zippys suggestion for p1, registered, added my photo, but haven't a clue how to get it on here, I know I'm a complete dumbass
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 5th Oct 17, 12:39 PM
    • 9,176 Posts
    • 57,555 Thanks
    LEJC

Of course - the point is that the story is about love and strength. Totally missed that one.
    Originally posted by Savvybuyer
    For those that didn't see the film last night it was the story of Robin Cavendish ....I believe that both his son and wife had quite a lot of input into the film and whilst it did focus on their journey through life and its constraints after his polio paralysis it also portrayed how he didn't want to conform to the life he was expected to lead as a result of "what society dictated"

love and strength was indeed evident but actually it was quite interesting to discover how ground breaking his story was too.
    frugal October...£29.92 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 141 out 118 in ...£14.92 spend
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 5th Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    • 19,887 Posts
    • 255,723 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Getting back - I didn't intend to be discussing swearing when I woke up this morning and initially replied to every other part of the post except that. (Btw, the word "other" is a swear word since it has an archaic meaning referring to sexual relations - although that's not the context of use here, but, then again, if it's a swear word it's a swear word regardless of context.)

Now, I have gone off on a tangent again.

Getting back, to what should be the 'main tasks', I'm going to be trying to do the SP and new mini(?) M list - I might start with the SP list first as I can then put all of the "best vs M" items from it into the mini-list. It may become a maxi list within the next half-week. Or I might put something into the mini-M list and then come back to the SP and then back again. It occurs to me that this "M" list - which isn't the M list but is merely "an" M list since it is not that huge one that I had before - might well go into several posts. It's not going to be twelve or thirteen but might be up to six at this rate (my estimate though is about three or four - looking at how much I have but I could be off the mark)

I have thought of putting SP items first, then the regular price items, then the expiry date of items and ordering them into the different sections of the store within each. It's easier for me as, if I do this again, I can delete whole sections of expiry date once they pass and move items farther down if they roll-over. I don't know which is best for you - I don't know if people generally use such a list (if they use it at all) by looking at the category (e.g fruit & veg.) of items that they want and, under my old lists, you had everything - eventually literally everything! - there, but under a differently-organised list, or several lists if you want to treat each expiry date as a separate "list", you'd need to look at fruit & veg., say, in the SP section, regular price section and in every expiry date. (I think I may do next four weeks of dates, i.e. ending each Tuesday for the next few weeks and then a "long-stop" of everything currently expiring beyond a month or so away. Of course, they can always pull things earlier.) Actually, fruit & veg. probably not a good example to pick as there aren't really any SP or regular price items in it more offers, but you get the idea (I hope).

I'll go to the current post (21114) at the moment, whenever I get back there over the next few days, and will need to reorganise into sections of the store - I might start reposting, moving parts ad-hoc one post at a time if I run out of space - they'll be all over the place, and then bring them altogether in a row of posts moving the lists again and deleting the single, disparate-spaced posts. Or I might - not right now but at some point - take four (or six) posts in a row, leaving the last of them empty or as templates for now and adding things to various parts as and when. Just to let you know, if I suddenly post lists, it's just me trying to organise things into various posts - they may get moved by myself and the original post deleted later on - if I try with something saying "1 of 4" then you know I'm trying to post four in a row, but I will probably give some separate express notice of that and then wait to a convenient round-number post number to start from. At the moment, don't worry if any new posts that may contain parts of the (it's not the) list get posted non-consecutively as I am not too bothered about that and can move them all to consecutive later.

I might not even do the collection next week. I've got what I've got though and have done it "just this once" so will get whatever I have onto here as and when - and may go to M on weeks whenever I feel like it or happen to get the chance and can't travel out as extensively as before (if at all) so there will be other items that people will find in their M that I do not have. So - prepare for the incompletist Savvy. Get you as much as whatever I have got.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,550Posts Today

8,795Users online

Martin's Twitter