Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    • 11,944Posts
    • 34,466Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 16th Jun 16, 8:32 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 16th Jun 16 at 8:32 PM

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.

Last edited by redfox; 30-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Page 100
    • izzeyb
    • By izzeyb 9th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 82,936 Thanks
    izzeyb
    Also for TM and Marmite
    This weekend it's cheese laundry detergent and dishwasher tablets
    Originally posted by scottishshortie

Unfortunately marmite went early for his cheese
    • Nellie35
    • By Nellie35 9th Jun 17, 8:44 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 14,785 Thanks
    Nellie35
    Good morning everyone and emerald
    • scottishshortie
    • By scottishshortie 9th Jun 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 16,172 Thanks
    scottishshortie
    Originally posted by izzeyb
    Youcan never have to much cheese and making sure he doesn't make the same mistake with the other offers
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 9th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 8,751 Posts
    • 55,166 Thanks
    LEJC
    Good morning all....

I've not read back fully over the nights events...but it looks from the number of posts that there may have been a night shift watching the election results.

Well all I will say is...lets see where this result takes us!

I've been having a think about Sarah's question over contributing to the household and think its possibly not something that there is a "set amount"...I would like to think of it more as an acknowledgement that some things will cost extra on the family and as an earner its only fair to get them into the habit of budgeting.

I remember many moons ago my parents sitting me down and agreeing a figure with me based on what I was taking home,but also recognising that it wasn't a case that I needed to hand over everything and I was actually left with a generous amount of the money for personal consumption!!!

At the time I had just bought a car and was paying back loan payments which were also a large part of my salary....but thinking back I guess what i did pay as keep probably amounted to around 20% of what I got paid each month.
    I think the key is agreeing an amount that you are all happy with.

Possibly It's a case that theres no hard and fast percentage rule,moreover the recognition that the young adult is paying their way.

Sarah...has DS got a figure in mind that he's thinking of,or is it a case that you are all still wondering how to approach the subject?

Perhaps let him have his first months money and then gently suggest a family get together to listen to all sides of the argument going forward.

I have to say I was dreading the conversation with DS prior to him going to uni over funding and living expenses but actually he came up with some level headed discussion points and it has worked out quite well for all sides.
    What possibly also helps is if you forget the fact that you have supported your offspring as they have grown up and don't use that as a basis of your discussion with them.What's gone before is in the past and they now need to realise that its about being an adult and paying their way.

My bundle of joy is off back to the uni pod this afternoon....apparently there is one last party weekend and then they are cleaning the pod on Monday.
    He has warned us that we might need to go back next weekend to potentially finish the job and pick up the rest of his stuff...oh the joys.

Have a lovely day all.....
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 93 out 83 in ...£13.96 spend
    • hornetgirl
    • By hornetgirl 9th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 66,399 Thanks
    hornetgirl
    Morning all

We declared at 2:40am and I was home by 2:58 but couldn't sleep right away so listened to the radio for an hour or so. V tired now though but time for some breakfast I think, otherwise it will be lunchtime and I'll have missed a meal lol.
    Our MP is pretty tall, about 6'4" I think.

LEJC I keep meaning to ask what a pod is. Whenever you mention it I always imagine your DS and his friends all snuggled up like a row of peas
    Unity is strength...Knowledge is power...Attitude is everything

MF 30 June 2010

Everything is fleeting, everything will change
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 9th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 8,751 Posts
    • 55,166 Thanks
    LEJC
    Can I also thank DM TM and Nellie for their election nightshift last night....well done guys!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    May
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 9th Jun 17, 10:02 AM
    • 8,751 Posts
    • 55,166 Thanks
    LEJC
    Morning all

LEJC I keep meaning to ask what a pod is. Whenever you mention it I always imagine your DS and his friends all snuggled up like a row of peas
    Originally posted by hornetgirl
    It's a little bit like that really....
    A big block of flats probably quite generic..imagine each flat housing 7 being like a corridor in a hotel with 7 single rooms with small ensuite lined up and the end corner room being a much larger sitting/kitchen area that wraps around the corner of the building.
    There are I think four pods to each floor of the building and I think it's 8 floors high.

They are indeed peas in their pod!

In September 4 of them from the pod are moving into a student house....it's going to be such a big change for them....space wise even the smallest bedroom is at least 4 times the size of what they each currently have.
    I think DS will struggle without the ensuite but gallantly the 3 boys have offered the one ensuite room to their girl housemate!!!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    May
    • tweets
    • By tweets 9th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 28,212 Posts
    • 406,995 Thanks
    tweets
    Willow Woods Chestnut Mushrooms (250g) was 95p now 49p @ Aldi
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Just giggling to myself read that as willy woods chestnut mushrooms and thought what a daft name so reread and saw it was willow woods
    Lost 2st-13lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 9th Jun 17, 10:13 AM
    • 28,212 Posts
    • 406,995 Thanks
    tweets
    Oh yes please I am on a diet really. This is the third week and I have lost 7.5Lbs in the first two weeks bubbs is doing really well
    Originally posted by Nellie35
    Well done Nellie
    Lost 2st-13lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 9th Jun 17, 10:18 AM
    • 28,212 Posts
    • 406,995 Thanks
    tweets
    Good Morning

Fine here at the moment but keeps clouding over so think we will have rain before long.
    Lost 2st-13lb
    • marmitelovemehateme
    • By marmitelovemehateme 9th Jun 17, 10:31 AM
    • 2,172 Posts
    • 23,236 Thanks
    marmitelovemehateme
    Originally posted by izzeyb
    Izzeyb....There's plenty space for more cheese
    OMG, I'm rich! Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeff, Crystals in the Kidney, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries and an inexhaustible supply of natural gas! I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!!
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 9th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 8,751 Posts
    • 55,166 Thanks
    LEJC
    HG... you must have been reasonably lucky that you didn't end up with several recounts last night.....I think there were some very close calls last night in terms of majorities and is it good old Kensington & Chelsea that have had so many re counts over the night that they have sent everyone home to sleep and told them to come back later this afternoon.....

It certainly says something when a seat like that can't decide!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    May
    • marmitelovemehateme
    • By marmitelovemehateme 9th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 2,172 Posts
    • 23,236 Thanks
    marmitelovemehateme
    Youcan never have to much cheese and making sure he doesn't make the same mistake with the other offers
    Originally posted by scottishshortie
    I need looking after.....I try my best...but you know sometimes its just not good enough...
    OMG, I'm rich! Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeff, Crystals in the Kidney, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries and an inexhaustible supply of natural gas! I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!!
    • Sarahdol75
    • By Sarahdol75 9th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    • 6,265 Posts
    • 83,501 Thanks
    Sarahdol75

Sarah...has DS got a figure in mind that he's thinking of,or is it a case that you are all still wondering how to approach the subject?

Perhaps let him have his first months money and then gently suggest a family get together to listen to all sides of the argument going forward.

I have to say I was dreading the conversation with DS prior to him going to uni over funding and living expenses but actually he came up with some level headed discussion points and it has worked out quite well for all sides.
    What possibly also helps is if you forget the fact that you have supported your offspring as they have grown up and don't use that as a basis of your discussion with them.What's gone before is in the past and they now need to realise that its about being an adult and paying their way.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    We broached the subject of him saving when he got his job, OMG the look on his face was like we were about to murder him

He wants a car, we have told him we will purchase a car, but its not to his standards, he wants better, so now he wants to pay extra towards it, all being well while he is earning, but what if this job doesnt work out we said, it will be us paying the extra off.

We can afford to keep him at home and pay for his car, but we want him to realise that money is not to be frittered away and if he wants nice things in life he has to save for it.

We have decided that we will charge him a board fee, but save it in an account for him when he needs it.

Ah we could do with a elite baby its been all grandchildren lately
    :
    Originally posted by diluvsdiscounts
    OMG di, dont wish it on me, im 41 I cant have any more children, my youngest is 14, OMG it would kill me going through all that again.
    Walk 2000 miles in a year challenge 2017 -

229.37 January
    222.5 February
    218.80 March
    290.10 April
    248.49 May

Completed Race for Life 25 June 2017

A huge thankyou to everyone who sponsored me
    • Nellie35
    • By Nellie35 9th Jun 17, 11:04 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 14,785 Thanks
    Nellie35
    Well done Nellie
    Originally posted by tweets
    Thank you tweets
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 9th Jun 17, 11:15 AM
    • 14,156 Posts
    • 240,332 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    Good Morning

Tactial didn't work here, so stuck with Tory git
    Our Family Motto ~
    ♦ If all else fails - read the instructions ♦

• Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 9th Jun 17, 11:16 AM
    • 14,156 Posts
    • 240,332 Thanks
    Snap-ant

Have ultra sound appt for my hernia 27th June
    Our Family Motto ~

• Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 9th Jun 17, 11:29 AM
    • 14,156 Posts
    • 240,332 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    LEJC was yesterday's smartest player!

24 players played.

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=99008

Today's Topic (Friday): *** FunTrivia Mixed Bag

Our Family Motto ~

• gocat
    • By gocat 9th Jun 17, 11:38 AM
    • 4,622 Posts
    • 52,031 Thanks
    gocat
    GREAT RESULT !!!!

PAGs for HD & CC are through
    Originally posted by braveheart60uk
    About time
    Morning all
    • gocat
    • By gocat 9th Jun 17, 1:34 PM
    • 4,622 Posts
    • 52,031 Thanks
    gocat
    2 hours without a post. Have we moved again?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

195Posts Today

1,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin