Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RebeccaPlant
    • By RebeccaPlant 30th May 17, 8:06 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 3Thanks
    RebeccaPlant
    Checking a company's bank account details are legitimate
    • 30th May 17, 8:06 PM
    Checking a company's bank account details are legitimate 30th May 17 at 8:06 PM
    Hello MSE-ers,

I'm about to pay a company just under £20k but I want to confirm in advance that the account number and sort code are attached to the company I'm paying, to make sure I'm not being scammed!

Is there a way to confirm this without contacting the company itself?

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 30th May 17, 8:16 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 30th May 17, 8:16 PM
    • 30th May 17, 8:16 PM
    Hello MSE-ers,

I'm about to pay a company just under £20k but I want to confirm in advance that the account number and sort code are attached to the company I'm paying, to make sure I'm not being scammed!

Is there a way to confirm this without contacting the company itself?

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by RebeccaPlant

Surely the best and most sensible way is contact the company itself? Why are you opposed to this?
    • RebeccaPlant
    • By RebeccaPlant 30th May 17, 8:25 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    RebeccaPlant
    • 30th May 17, 8:25 PM
    • 30th May 17, 8:25 PM
    Surely the best and most sensible way is contact the company itself? Why are you opposed to this?
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Thanks for your reply! We've been struggling to find contact details for the company (aside from silly contact forms) apart from the one person we've had contact with directly. We just want to make sure that the account details are for the company and not been replaced by this one person to go to his personal account.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 30th May 17, 8:26 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 30th May 17, 8:26 PM
    • 30th May 17, 8:26 PM
    Thanks for your reply! We've been struggling to find contact details for the company (aside from silly contact forms) apart from the one person we've had contact with directly. We just want to make sure that the account details are for the company and not been replaced by this one person to go to his personal account.

Not sure id be happy sending 20k to a company I couldn't contact, Try typing the account details into google and see what it brings up.
    • RebeccaPlant
    • By RebeccaPlant 30th May 17, 8:31 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    RebeccaPlant
    • 30th May 17, 8:31 PM
    • 30th May 17, 8:31 PM
    Not sure id be happy sending 20k to a company I couldn't contact, Try typing the account details into google and see what it brings up.
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Yeah I know what you mean - that's why we're trying to be cautious! I have found a telephone number now which I'll try in the morning. Did try googling but nothing of interest came up...
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 30th May 17, 8:36 PM
    • 5,337 Posts
    • 5,972 Thanks
    lovinituk
    • 30th May 17, 8:36 PM
    • 30th May 17, 8:36 PM
    I'd be very cautious. A company asking for £20k by bank transfer who don't appear to make themselves easily contactable sounds very suspicious.

Check them on Companies House.
    Check their domain registration details.
    Both of those should provide some sort of contact details.
    The following is my forum signature and not necessarily a response to your post:
    "To be truly successful you must live a few years of your life like others won’t so you may live the rest of your life like others can’t"
    • colsten
    • By colsten 30th May 17, 9:57 PM
    • 8,598 Posts
    • 7,218 Thanks
    colsten
    • 30th May 17, 9:57 PM
    • 30th May 17, 9:57 PM
    Thanks for your reply! We've been struggling to find contact details for the company (aside from silly contact forms) apart from the one person we've had contact with directly.
    Do you mind me asking how you would ensure you get whatever it is you are paying £20k for if you can't contact the company? What if that person you spoke to leaves the company tomorrow?
    • Sparx
    • By Sparx 30th May 17, 10:07 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    Sparx
    • 30th May 17, 10:07 PM
    • 30th May 17, 10:07 PM
    What service is this for may I ask? e.g. if it's a builder/service who seems hard to contact and has little presence... Sending them £20k via bank transfer would put me on the uhhh side of hell no!
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 30th May 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 30th May 17, 10:40 PM
    • 30th May 17, 10:40 PM
    If you're having difficulty contacting the company and don't entirely trust (you seem to imply this) the only person you've had contact with then why would you trust the company? I wouldn't!

And why pay £20k by bank transfer? Why can't this company accept other means?

Card payment or even old-fashioned cheque would be better. I know it's fashionable to dismiss cheques but in this sort of scenario they do still have relevance!. And if you don't have a cheque book you can ask your bank for one.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 30th May 17, 11:19 PM
    • 15,018 Posts
    • 13,336 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    OP - is it related to this thread?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5646848
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 30th May 17, 11:21 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    dj1471
    It's a legal requirement for UK companies to provide a postal address. If the website really only has contact forms as you suggest I wouldn't be giving them a penny and definitely not by bank transfer.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 31st May 17, 8:22 AM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Originally posted by maninthestreet
    If it is related to that - i.e. a narrowboat from an insolvency practioner who is in a hurry to sell I'd be even more cautious!

And add, wrt to narrowboats, that you should be very wary of the rules of residential boating and the apparently hardening attitude of the Canal & River Trust (who control most of the inland network) towards residentials, particularly 'continuous cruisers'.
    • RebeccaPlant
    • By RebeccaPlant 31st May 17, 8:39 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    RebeccaPlant
    Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your replies so far. I feel I may have misconstrued the situation somewhat. Yes, it is related to buying assets from an insolvency practitioner. They are a large global company which is registered on companies house and all seems legit. There are contact details available but I have struggled previously to find a phone number for the specific department that's relevant to the purchase - mostly they either want contact via email or through the website's contact form.

I have no doubt that the company is genuine, I just want to make sure that the bank details that I've been given are actually belonging to the company to account for the (unlikely) that the person I've been talking to has swapped them out for his own personal details.

I don't really believe that we are being scammed - the whole process so far has been quite slow and various things about it wouldn't add up if it was a scam artist. However, I just want to make sure because it's a lot of money!
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 31st May 17, 9:17 AM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your replies so far. I feel I may have misconstrued the situation somewhat. Yes, it is related to buying assets from an insolvency practitioner. They are a large global company which is registered on companies house and all seems legit. There are contact details available but I have struggled previously to find a phone number for the specific department that's relevant to the purchase - mostly they either want contact via email or through the website's contact form.

I have no doubt that the company is genuine, I just want to make sure that the bank details that I've been given are actually belonging to the company to account for the (unlikely) that the person I've been talking to has swapped them out for his own personal details.

I don't really believe that we are being scammed - the whole process so far has been quite slow and various things about it wouldn't add up if it was a scam artist. However, I just want to make sure because it's a lot of money!
    Good that you're happy the purchase is legit - but why pay £20k by bank transfer?
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 31st May 17, 10:00 AM
    • 15,018 Posts
    • 13,336 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    Suggest to the IP that you should pay using an Escrow service (of your choice), e.g www.escrow.com
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • RebeccaPlant
    • By RebeccaPlant 11th Jun 17, 10:18 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    RebeccaPlant
    Just in case anyone was wondering how we got on - I did some more digging, confirmed the payment details, the sale went through, we have proof of purchase, and we now own a narrowboat! Hooray! Thanks for all your advice, very much appreciated
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

328Posts Today

4,007Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin