Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 30th May 17, 6:47 PM
    • 15,929Posts
    • 41,558Thanks
    tesuhoha
    Debenhams Scam
    • 30th May 17, 6:47 PM
    Debenhams Scam 30th May 17 at 6:47 PM
    Please be aware that this is a bit of a scam.

***URL removed (sorry but it helps it come up in search engines)***

I thought it was a special offer to buy expensive products cheap because Debenhams were closing some stores. I ordered some face cream and paid the postage asked of £4.95.

I got a confirmation email which states that I have entered into a subscription to pay goodness knows how much each month. They have my debit card details and state that my account will be debited each month.

I have cancelled this but to do this I have to return the products to Cyprus at my expense by 28th June. If they do not receive them by then my account will be debited by £69.

I didn't see any mention of this on the offer but it may have been in the small print which I should have read.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam1; 21-06-2017 at 8:54 PM.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

The best kept secret is an open secret.

A vacuum is nature's default state.
Page 1
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 30th May 17, 6:53 PM
    • 4,705 Posts
    • 12,817 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    • 30th May 17, 6:53 PM
    • 30th May 17, 6:53 PM
    Did you apply via a link on Facebook? I've seen this "offer" all over my FB feed and a couple of friends have "liked" it....I'll warn everyone, so thanks for posting this.
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 30th May 17, 6:59 PM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 3,135 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 30th May 17, 6:59 PM
    • 30th May 17, 6:59 PM
    its nothing to do with debenhams
    • asajj
    • By asajj 30th May 17, 7:45 PM
    • 4,054 Posts
    • 9,859 Thanks
    asajj
    • 30th May 17, 7:45 PM
    • 30th May 17, 7:45 PM
    Rule 1 of internet shopping. If an offer is too good to be true, it probably is.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 30th May 17, 11:35 PM
    • 10,143 Posts
    • 18,181 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    • 30th May 17, 11:35 PM
    • 30th May 17, 11:35 PM
    I went on Debenhams official Facebook page to complain about a broken lift in one of their stores and the page was full of people complaining about the scam.
    I finished my degree!! AA100, DD102, U214, A230, A363, E302 (Complete) OU BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit- results 07/17
    Proud to be the WFC!!! #TeamWoody
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 31st May 17, 8:20 AM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 1,858 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 31st May 17, 8:20 AM
    • 31st May 17, 8:20 AM
    This was mentioned here in the Praise,Vent section over a week ago.

In a Facebook group I belong to someone put up the link and asked was it safe. No. Replied I. Well for one the actual address was a jewellery online store! So WTF have they to do with Debenhams and Dior face cream?

Since then loads popping up with different .com online address if you actually look closely.

They are total scum.

Sorry for those that have fallen for it. BUT, as said if it looks too good to be true then its not! Always read the small print and see the actual company which will not be Debenhams. Dior,Chanel,Guerlain etc will not give their stock away. All unused products will be returned to them or sent to other Debenhams' stores. Also they are not closing the stores for two years to get things sorted.
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 2nd Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 2,743 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    • 2nd Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    • 2nd Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    I saw this on FB as well and looked at where it was taking you. When I saw there was no mention on the Debenhams own page I decided it was definitely a fake. I am sad that some of my friends had liked the fake posts though
    MF 03Sep2016
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 2nd Jun 17, 5:54 PM
    • 3,380 Posts
    • 6,290 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    • 2nd Jun 17, 5:54 PM
    • 2nd Jun 17, 5:54 PM
    Well I'm glad I clicked on this thread, I saw the item on FB and was tempted but just haven't got round to it yet. I've had a narrow escape !
    • Macduff506
    • By Macduff506 12th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Macduff506
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    Help!
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    Did you get an email straightaway?
    I've stupidly just done this and I'm panicking how to stop it?? Shall I contact my bank?? I've had no confirmation, help needed x

I thought it was a special offer to buy expensive products cheap because Debenhams were closing some stores. I ordered some face cream and paid the postage asked of £4.95.

I got a confirmation email which states that I have entered into a subscription to pay goodness knows how much each month. They have my debit card details and state that my account will be debited each month.

I have cancelled this but to do this I have to return the products to Cyprus at my expense by 28th June. If they do not receive them by then my account will be debited by £69.

I didn't see any mention of this on the offer but it may have been in the small print which I should have read.[/QUOTE]
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Jun 17, 10:48 AM
    • 7,234 Posts
    • 5,208 Thanks
    pmduk
    Facebook is NOT a reliable site for adverts. There is little to no regulation on there and you have no protection of your funds compared with other sites. You buy at you own risk.
    Last edited by pmduk; 12-06-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 12th Jun 17, 12:16 PM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 1,858 Thanks
    donnac2558
    Debenhams will be closing stores over a 5 year period the very idea they will be selling any stock which actually still belongs to the company its branded to is just nuts! The company may not want it back too long on the shelves, then it is sent to another store which is not closing. Or go on sale in store or sometimes turns up in TKMaxx. Quite a few items of Nars,Dior,Estee Lauder been turning up in my local branch. It will never ever go to some unknown company flogging it on Facebook

PEOPLE STOP AND JUST THINK FOR 2 SECONDS!

Facebook spam ads all the time if in doubt contact the actual company they are suppose to be debenhams, dior etc and get an answer.
    Last edited by donnac2558; 12-06-2017 at 12:20 PM.
    • katie buck
    • By katie buck 21st Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    katie buck
    Debenhams Scam
    Does anyone have their contact details? i am one of the stupid people who fell for this and before i could blink they've taken over £140 out of my account )))) : i have received no items (there's a shocker).... any help would be much appreciated
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 21st Jun 17, 6:53 PM
    • 16,358 Posts
    • 277,480 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    This thread will likely get a better response over in the Consumer Rights board so I'll pop it across
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...

Attempt number 7854- W1-3 -6lbs
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 21st Jun 17, 6:57 PM
    • 3,978 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    Lorian
    maybe edit the first post so the website is not a clickable link too....
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st Jun 17, 6:58 PM
    • 16,613 Posts
    • 41,662 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Is this really a Debenhams scam?
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 21st Jun 17, 7:08 PM
    • 3,978 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    Lorian
    Looks like a Russian site hiding behind cloudflare.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st Jun 17, 7:15 PM
    • 16,613 Posts
    • 41,662 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Looks like a Russian site hiding behind cloudflare.
    Originally posted by Lorian
    The title of the thread is somewhat unfair to Debenhams then
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 21st Jun 17, 7:18 PM
    • 3,978 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    Lorian
    The title of the thread is somewhat unfair to Debenhams then
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Indeed it is.
    • photome
    • By photome 21st Jun 17, 7:31 PM
    • 12,414 Posts
    • 7,932 Thanks
    photome
    I posted a week or so ago to never click on an ad on Facebook.

The next reply was along the lines of "I did and everything was great"

I would reiterate to never click on an ad on facebook
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 21st Jun 17, 7:39 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    angryparcel
    nothing to do with Debenhams it is a 100% scam just like the

win aldi vouchers
    win smurnoff vodka
    win primark vouchers
    and the mountain of others that pop all over facebook

https://whois.domaintools.com/debenhams-giveaway.club
    they hide behind cloudflare

report the link to abuse@cloudflare.com. As i offer cloudflare to clients i have passed details to my account manager at cloudflare, he suggests if people report the link it will flag it up so they can get the cloudflare IPs removed from the domain and take action against the domain owners
    Last edited by angryparcel; 21-06-2017 at 7:53 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,023Posts Today

6,707Users online

Martin's Twitter