Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 30th May 17, 4:29 PM
    • 4,558Posts
    • 44,793Thanks
    mcculloch29
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries June 2017
    • 30th May 17, 4:29 PM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries June 2017 30th May 17 at 4:29 PM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to er, mcculloch29, that would be me, for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for June and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014
    7. Fiasco55 - graduated with honours May 2017

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    January 2017
    February 2017
    March 2017
    April 2017
    May 2017
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
Page 7
    • VALM
    • By VALM 16th Jun 17, 4:32 AM
    • 3,712 Posts
    • 34,589 Thanks
    VALM
    Soooooooo who has been drooling over the new UD Naked palette?! It doesn't launch until 20th July, so safe for now - but ooooohhhhhhhh I want it! Perfect colours for me - but I already have 4 UD palettes, not sure I need it

I really want to new red/wine coloured eye liner (Alkaline) too - it's amazing

http://www.beauddiction.com/2017/06/urban-decay-naked-heat-launching-june-12.html
    Originally posted by fixx
    One for me to check out on holiday. I think I'm likely to pick up either a Lorac Pro palette or Kat Von D. This Naked one looks very similar to the Anastasia Beverley Hills Modern Renaissance palette.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • fixx
    • By fixx 16th Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 5,878 Thanks
    fixx
    One for me to check out on holiday. I think I'm likely to pick up either a Lorac Pro palette or Kat Von D. This Naked one looks very similar to the Anastasia Beverley Hills Modern Renaissance palette.
    Originally posted by VALM
    Ooooh good shout - I've been lusting over the Modern Renaissance palette for ages too! I'll have to see if I can find any comparisons - and then only treat myself if I hit some fitness goals by end July...
    • VALM
    • By VALM 16th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    • 3,712 Posts
    • 34,589 Thanks
    VALM
    Ooooh good shout - I've been lusting over the Modern Renaissance palette for ages too! I'll have to see if I can find any comparisons - and then only treat myself if I hit some fitness goals by end July...
    Originally posted by fixx
    I'm not sure if the colours are too warm for me. I did use Emma's ABH palette recently and they were lovely. I really like the look of the new Tarte palette but those colours are very similar to the Smashbox full exposure that I own and I just don't rate Tarte eyeshadows. I have tried using some again today but they just look muddy.

I did throw away The Balm palette this week as I'm never going to reach for it and it seems nobody wants to buy it. So it's gone.

UU this morning Rituals Honey Touch body lotion. Was lovely. Would buy again if on a special offer and would buy the full size. I am on my last tub of 50ml body butter and then will have to use gradual tan !!!
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • asajj
    • By asajj 16th Jun 17, 6:23 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 10,034 Thanks
    asajj
    I have TA two products - one unnamed body lotion that I tested for Alba Science and No 7 facial sunscreen. The body lotion was too thick and not a pleasant texture and scent. No 7 facial sunscreen made me break out. I prefer Clarins.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • pinkfluffybabe
    • By pinkfluffybabe 16th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 7,124 Thanks
    pinkfluffybabe
    Another June UU:

Nuxe perfume. WBA. This was a gift but I really like the fragrance.
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2017 (41/142 UU, 16 INs)
    • asajj
    • By asajj 16th Jun 17, 11:28 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 10,034 Thanks
    asajj
    I was a bit busy earlier so couldn't list but I have some INs to declare

I went to Murad counter in Debenhams for a quick free facial today. I bought their new night cream: City Skin Overnight Detox Moisturiser. Expensive but for 50 ml and with the new pump, it will last for a while I hope.

I also got GWP - Essential C-Cleanser 200 ml. Renewing Eye cream 4ml, Active Radiance Serum 5ml, Essential-C day cream 10 ml., hydrating toner 15 ml, Invisiblur Perfecting Shield 5 ml.
    I also bought Lancome Midnight Rose Treson Perfume and UD Full Spectrum palette. The last two were impulse purchases but nearly 40 % so a bit relief :P I have spent too much money this month on several things. Here hoping July will be better.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • fudgesmoothies
    • By fudgesmoothies 17th Jun 17, 8:47 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    fudgesmoothies
    A few more UU, they seem to come in pairs!

NYX Micro Brow Pencil WDBA. This is good dupe of the thinner Benefit pencil. I just had a brown pencil in my birchbox so won't repurchase immediately.
    Tresemme Keratin Smooth Heat Protection WMBA. This came free with my hairdryer back in December so has lasted a very long time. One of those essential products that you don't really see much benefit from. I've replaced with a blow dry spray i had in stash that contains heat protectant.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 17th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 2,420 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU from last night:

Superdrug Little Moisturising Blue Stick 4.8g WDBA, it's my HG lip balm. I use this on a night after I've brushed my teeth and before I go to sleep. I put a lot on so it last overnight. Lovely, non scented lip balm. I'm going to try the Nuxe Reve de Miel lip balm now.

I've nearly finished the REN cleansing milk, so that should be UU in the next few days or so.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 17th Jun 17, 3:12 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 25,429 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Finally got my lists up to date and have some UU to add

150ml LRP Serozinc 5/48
    130ml Body oil (missing the label!) 6/49
    GWP size Clinique mild cleansing bar 7/50
    3ml Odacite Papaya-Geranium Serum 8/51
    7ml ESPA Lift & Firm moisturiser 9/52
    50ml Gatineau Refreshing Cream Cleanser 10/53
    12ml Lacura Nail Oil 11/54

Being several small sizes it looks like easy pickings, but trying to use the older things from stash as well as HGs. Lesson to (slightly) younger self....... use 1 thing, if you like it make a note of it, try something else and so on, you do not need loads and loads of different makes and types of toiletries stashed away, eating up potential holiday/treat money and taking up space, new things come along far quicker than you can use what you have and they all seem very desirable.

This really is a summary of how I have been (uncomfortable reading) and not a sermon to any one of you lovely people, we all have the right to do as we wish with our hard earned cash
    • sunny_money
    • By sunny_money 18th Jun 17, 7:38 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    sunny_money
    One little UU:
    ESPA - Optimal Body TriSerum 12ml
    Wasn't a fan of the aromatherapy scent but it worked well and loved the glass packaging.
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 18th Jun 17, 8:56 AM
    • 483 Posts
    • 3,283 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    mixa citaplast cream in
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 18th Jun 17, 9:05 AM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 29,796 Thanks
    dolly84
    maddie - I agree with what you have said, the only comfort for me is that I don't have to spend much now as I have so much in the stash.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 18th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    Ladykernow
    Partner has started using up my stash instead of buying new. Hurray!
    2017 13# Sealed pot: 1300/1,500
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 18th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 25,429 Thanks
    maddiemay
    A teeny little UU, but they all count

30ml hotel shampoo 12/55
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 18th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 2,420 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU tonight:

REN Evercalm Gentle Cleansing Milk 50ml WNBA. It didn't really wow me. It cleansed my skin okay, but it had a weird scent. I'm glad it's gone.

That's another cleanser gone. I'm down to 7 now
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 18th Jun 17, 9:33 PM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 7,994 Thanks
    wondercollie
    Finally got my lists up to date and have some UU to add

. Lesson to (slightly) younger self....... use 1 thing, if you like it make a note of it, try something else and so on, you do not need loads and loads of different makes and types of toiletries stashed away, eating up potential holiday/treat money and taking up space, new things come along far quicker than you can use what you have and they all seem very desirable.

This really is a summary of how I have been (uncomfortable reading) and not a sermon to any one of you lovely people, we all have the right to do as we wish with our hard earned cash
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    Oh, so true! I just realized that my eyeshadow and blush stash will probably outlive me! I'm 58 and there is no way I will ever use all of that lot
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 18th Jun 17, 10:35 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,188 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    Hi gang,

I have some mostly sample based UUs to share:

Samples:
    - Clinique dramatically different moisturiser WNB as not for my skin type
    - Clarins one step cleanser WPNB but this was used when staying over at a friends
    - Body shop honey mask WNB prefer the rose one
    - Mystery serum WNB as no idea what it was!
    - Oskia eye wonder WNB as too expensive for product
    - darphin light moisturiser WMB was really nice lovely and light yet hydrating
    - Vichy normaderm night detox WPNB don't really know what this was about!

Full size
    Neals Yard eye make up remover WMB was nice and gentle, and fairly effective liked that it didn't in any way bother my eyes.

Ins
    3x Clinique moisture surge for men samples (the lady on the counter said the formula is exactly the same as the 'ladies version' only blue which is frankly hilarious. They'd run out of pink version!)
    - Avene eye make up remover
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 18th Jun 17, 10:36 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,188 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    Also step away from the palettes ladies! (If you can, I don't own any but I do want one a bit!)
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 18th Jun 17, 11:38 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 25,429 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Oh, so true! I just realized that my eyeshadow and blush stash will probably outlive me! I'm 58 and there is no way I will ever use all of that lot
    Originally posted by wondercollie
    Well in one week's time I will be 68, so I have no chance

I own 3 blushers, but quite a few eye shadow palettes and single ones too, most palettes have too many taupes and browns for my colouring, so I am very selective these days
    • WJN222
    • By WJN222 19th Jun 17, 1:02 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    WJN222
    hello all,

plodding on here with UU: (thankfully no ins! I am trying to remain strong!)
    UU: Fat Har Hairspray - WISH I could buy again - this is my HG but sadly has been discontinued, I am onto my last from the stash
    UU: Colgate tooth paste - WBA but tend to go for whatever is on offer - replaced with oral b from stash.

Scores on the doors for June - 9 out 1 In
    walk 2017 miles in 2017 - 415 of 2017
    SW journey - loose 28lbs - 14lb of 28
    Clear the stash July OUT : IN = 17:2
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,139Posts Today

9,111Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin