Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 30th May 17, 4:29 PM
    • 4,558Posts
    • 44,856Thanks
    mcculloch29
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries June 2017
    • 30th May 17, 4:29 PM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries June 2017 30th May 17 at 4:29 PM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to er, mcculloch29, that would be me, for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for June and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014
    7. Fiasco55 - graduated with honours May 2017

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    January 2017
    February 2017
    March 2017
    April 2017
    May 2017
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
Page 4
    • asajj
    • By asajj 7th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 10,173 Thanks
    asajj
    Hi, everyone. I'm down with a cold. In June. Really.
    Haven't had much progress in the stash. UU'ed a shower gel yesterday morning. Have more in the cupboard. I have a body lotion that was sent to me to test. I decanted the remaining into a pot and will try to UU it this month.
    I might declutter some makeup stuff this weekend.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 7th Jun 17, 9:00 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    sstevo19
    Hi, everyone. I'm down with a cold. In June. Really.
    Haven't had much progress in the stash. UU'ed a shower gel yesterday morning. Have more in the cupboard. I have a body lotion that was sent to me to test. I decanted the remaining into a pot and will try to UU it this month.
    I might declutter some makeup stuff this weekend.
    Originally posted by asajj
    Don't worry, I think I'm coming down with a cold too
    • asajj
    • By asajj 7th Jun 17, 9:20 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 10,173 Thanks
    asajj
    Don't worry, I think I'm coming down with a cold too
    Originally posted by sstevo19
    I didn't even notice it was coming . Take some vitamins before it's too late!!
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

• VALM
    • By VALM 8th Jun 17, 6:22 AM
    • 3,763 Posts
    • 34,925 Thanks
    VALM
    Items to add to my PP list.
    Categories from roulette list :-

Something with beautiful packaging: Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish Jasmine and Osmenthus

Item that was a gift : NARS peach lipgloss

Will update my list later.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 8th Jun 17, 9:02 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One IN from yesterday that I forgot to post:

Aquafresh Complete Care Whitening 75ml

I started testing a new cleanser last night, it's the Aloe Cream Cleanser from The Body Shop and it's really nice. I can't wait to finish the REN cleansing milk, it's not that great.
    Last edited by sstevo19; 08-06-2017 at 9:08 AM.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 8th Jun 17, 10:22 AM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 29,978 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have a uu

Crabtree & Evelyn Aloe Vera Body Wash 250ml - very strongly scented which I liked, WMBA.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • VALM
    • By VALM 8th Jun 17, 3:33 PM
    • 3,763 Posts
    • 34,925 Thanks
    VALM
    Updated pp list
    Updated PP List for June:-

Kind Natured shampoo
    Kind Natured conditioner
    Urban Decay Gwen Stefani Lo-Fi blush
    Benefit Goofproof eyebrow pencil
    Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Creme de Nude
    Essie Gel Setter Top Coat
    Elemis Balancing Lime Blossom Cleanser
    Boots Extracts Peppermint Body Butter
    L'occitane conditioner
    Avon Senses hand wash
    Liz Earle Jasmine & Osmenthus Cleanse & Polish
    Nars Peach lip gloss - I have taken the stopper out of this.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • getmyacttogether2016
    • By getmyacttogether2016 8th Jun 17, 5:20 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    getmyacttogether2016
    Afternoon all

Couple more UUs, quite a few Ins and some TAs to report. Been playing around with some makeup looks and needed a few items.

UUs
    8) Urban Decay pore perfecting primer sample - not too sure with this one and have more samples to use before making the decision.
    9) Urban Decay naked skin foundation shade 3.5 sample - quite a good colour match but feel like I need something a little more full coverage.

TAs
    Maybelline colour tattoo in on and on bronze - wnba like the colour but it had dried up. I find these dry up too quickly.
    Work the colour eyeshadow pencil in vintage blush - wmba colour was okay but a little pink, goes on smoothly but it had dried up.
    Maybelline eraser eye in nude - wnba as too dark.

Ins
    MUA undress your skin highlighter
    MUA brow define mascara in mid brown
    MUA brow define mascara in dark brown
    Makeup Revolution strobe highlighter
    Maybelline eraser eye in brightening
    Got2b texturising gum
    Got2b instashine hairspray
    Superdrug blending brush
    Superdrug eyeshadow brush
    Studio London blending brush
    Studio London dual ended smokey eye brush.

GMAT
    VSP 2017 #5 £338.97/£450 (2016 #5 £493.26)
    £2 savers 2017 #23 £64/£200 (2016 #32 £228.00)
    PAYDBX 2017 #33 £2253.59/£2253.59 (2016 #33 4372.37/4372.37)
    Saving for Xmas 2017 #57 £181/365
    MFiT - T4 #41a 0/130,000 (#41 35,963/35,963)
    No buying toiletries 2017 UU 56 (inc makeup) TA 4, GA 1, IN 30
    • getmyacttogether2016
    • By getmyacttogether2016 8th Jun 17, 5:29 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    getmyacttogether2016
    Updated PP
    Morning all

Updated PP list

Elemis apricot toner ( couple more uses left)
    Elemis pro-radiance illuminating flash balm (1 more use left)
    Elemis pro-collagen cleansing balm
    Elemis white lotus & lime bath/shower nectar
    Decleor handcream
    Gatineau radiance gommage
    Aplha H liquid gold ( couple more uses left)
    Daisy body lotion
    Clarins tonic body polisher
    Daisy eau so fresh edt
    Daisy eau so fresh shower gel (spluttering so maybe another 1/2 uses)
    Aveda phomollient sytling foam
    V05 texturising gum
    Boots firm hold hairspray
    Any 2 make up items
    Any 4 samples (currently all make-up)

GMAT
    Last edited by getmyacttogether2016; 08-06-2017 at 6:40 PM.
    VSP 2017 #5 £338.97/£450 (2016 #5 £493.26)
    £2 savers 2017 #23 £64/£200 (2016 #32 £228.00)
    PAYDBX 2017 #33 £2253.59/£2253.59 (2016 #33 4372.37/4372.37)
    Saving for Xmas 2017 #57 £181/365
    MFiT - T4 #41a 0/130,000 (#41 35,963/35,963)
    No buying toiletries 2017 UU 56 (inc makeup) TA 4, GA 1, IN 30
    • sunny_money
    • By sunny_money 8th Jun 17, 8:37 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    sunny_money
    UU
    Revlon – Plumping Lipgloss 01 -7ml - Bought this years ago, plumping action worked for the first couple of months only, then became just a normal lip gloss, but nice colour so continued using, but the gloss wore off quickly. Do all plumping lipglosses stop working soon after opening?
    Will start using Soap and Glory Extreme Plump, and Dior mini pink lipgloss - old, from stash.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 8th Jun 17, 9:50 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    sstevo19
    Another IN today:

Oral B Satin Tape I needed some floss. So necessary in a way.
    • pinkfluffybabe
    • By pinkfluffybabe 8th Jun 17, 10:54 PM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 7,174 Thanks
    pinkfluffybabe
    Second IN of June:

John Masters Scalp shampoo. Really liked this so treated myself to a bottle!
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2017 (44/142 UU, 28 INs)
    • fudgesmoothies
    • By fudgesmoothies 9th Jun 17, 6:35 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    fudgesmoothies
    Had 3 UU all at once last night:

Dove Daily Moisture Shampoo WBA. This is left over from my holiday last month, I only bought it as it was the cheapest one in Boots but i did quite like it. I would buy again if it was cheap.

Waitrose Wild Fig and Sandalwood Bath Foam WDBA. I love anything with sandalwood and i like the Waitrose bubble baths. Surprisingly cheap and lots of bubbles!

The Body Shop Vineyard Shower Gel WNBA.I really love the Body Shop shower gels but the scent in this one was a little fake for me. I've got a Mango one in stash so will see how i get on with that soon.

And my naughty ins:

Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Summer Lip Glow in Sun Blush Its absolutely beautiful, i'm a sucker for rose gold packaging, but it's also a beautiful colour and i did research it.... It's also limited edition and sold out where i bought it from so that's my defence!

Benefit They're Real Tinted Lash Primer (mini) I bought this to get free delivery, but i have a friend who swears by this and i had wanted this for a while.
    • mad_scientist
    • By mad_scientist 9th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 4,432 Thanks
    mad_scientist
    Hello, hope everyone's doing well?

My first UU for June

1. Manuka Doctor Apinourish rejuvenating face mask - WNBA, this was an old sample sachet, got 3 uses from the sachet but the mask stung my skin a bit (maybe from all the honey bees!)

2. Garnier Aqua Defense Cleansing Foam - WNBA, nothing special just a standard foaming face wash

3. Max Factor Facefinity Compact in Ivory - WBA, my HG for easy work day makeup, no need for separate foundation and powder. I do have another in the stash but am going to save it for now as I have 3 pressed powders which have all hit pan to UU first!

4. A kind of UU/TA - the lid came off my hand sanitiser gel in my handbag and it all evaporated! Replaced with another from my stash.

Wishing everyone a great weekend!
    No more buying unnecessary toiletries, started May 2017 - 37UU
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 9th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 4,099 Posts
    • 10,999 Thanks
    Hermia
    UU Tony & Guy Cleanse detox shampoo - WBA.

TA two Atlas Silks hand creams (I think I got these in a gift set). They are horrible. They did not moisturise my hands at all. They also really upset some sensitive areas on my hands due to the fact that they are so highly scented. I did not attempt to use these up as foot cream for this reason.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 9th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU from this morning:

Impulse True Love 35ml WDBA. Lovely scent.

And five INs to declare:
    La Roche Posay Hydreane Legere moisturiser x 2
    La Roche Posay Toleriane moisturiser
    Caudalie Rose De Vigne shower gel
    Lierac Blemish Correction Regulation Gel sample

I stocked up on my current moisturiser whilst I still can, and I got another to try. Hopefully, these will be my last INs for this month.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 9th Jun 17, 10:10 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 10,173 Thanks
    asajj

Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Summer Lip Glow in Sun Blush Its absolutely beautiful, i'm a sucker for rose gold packaging, but it's also a beautiful colour and i did research it.... It's also limited edition and sold out where i bought it from so that's my defence!

Originally posted by fudgesmoothies
    This looks amazing. I should hunt for one maybe

No UUs yet for me.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

• catherine/kate
    • By catherine/kate 10th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    catherine/kate
    Hello everyone, nice to see lots of progress!

Had a few weeks away, meant to take some travel sizes with me to UU but forgot . . . guess if I'm not even using travel sizes for travelling then I might as well just UU at home.

One UU so far: Body shop coconut body butter. Used to be my HG but this particular tub had annoying little lumpy bits (presumably bits of coconut) in it - WNBA. Replaced with an Avon body butter which smells like cleaning fluid!

Everything seems to be taking ages to use at the moment! Will be working on travel size shower gels and hand creams (from advent calendar) this month.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 10th Jun 17, 1:27 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 10,173 Thanks
    asajj
    I have a UU. Murad Instant Radiance Eye Cream deluxe sample.
    This was a 3.5 ml sample and the consistency is thick. I got good use out of it. It is also "environmental shield" and rich with vitamin C. It claims to brighten/minimise dark circles and improves the appearance of wrinkles. I have neither currently.
    This did sting on the first use but I think it might have been some other products causing this.

WMBA one day.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

• Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 10th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 2,223 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    Hi everyone,

To those with colds - I think I have one too! OR it is bad hay fever as a lot of people around me have been complaining of epic hay fever.

I have a couple of UUs and two ins (but one was a gift)

UU
    Living proof healthy hair conditioner WMBA - first few times I used this I really really loved it, and after a break using something else I used up the last of it and liked the results again. However in between I did have some issues with kind of frizzy patches in hair. On the whole it felt thicker and healthier as promised, but sometimes felt weird. This experienced echoed reviews I have read. Still on the hunt for a HG thickening shampoo and conditioner!

Karma bubble bar - WBA liked the colour water went, liked the smell, and got two good uses out of it.

Ins
    Nip Fab extreme glycolic pads - recommended by CH and were on offer. Had no acid toners so thought I'd try a cheaper option and so far glad I have!
    Butterball bath bomb - was a gift but love these!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,271Posts Today

8,283Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin