Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 29th May 17, 10:55 PM
    • 149Posts
    • 299Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    if i make a start . then there has to be an end right ?!
    • 29th May 17, 10:55 PM
    if i make a start . then there has to be an end right ?! 29th May 17 at 10:55 PM
    24 years old 3 kids . bipolar. physical disability. second child with additional needs and 15k of debt (12k + interest if i can get approved for a loan and consolidate)

i always thought id leave school go to college , travel. go to uni . get married . buy a house . have kids. raise the babies. then one day retire.

but life had a different plan,

here i am , 24 , 3 kids too two different dads. living in a 2 bed council flat with my partner 3 kids and a cat.
    i only have to look at my children to realise why ive never given up. at times when my mental health got too much.
    i have big dreams.
    but first i need to get my debt paid off , enjoy making memories with my kids .. then i can look at the next stage of my life ,
    my youngest is 11 weeks old tomorrow.
    that has flown by,

anyway this is my little diary on loving life and paying off the dreaded debt
Page 6
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 23rd Oct 17, 9:08 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Yes I know what you mean.
    I will overall have less debt too as I'll be paying a settlement figure on my car which is a lower amount by about 2000

If I get approved for definite. (I never trust these things till its all done) then I will update with a new total and new plan. If not I'll carry on with my current plan.
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 25th Oct 17, 10:13 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    trip to my old childhood park with the family today.
    Also doing our weekly food shop today. (normally do it on a Monday but have been quiet busy) .
    6 days till November . Ds2 Turns 4 in November. Present already brought.

I need to do an update of our Debts. I know the credit card has risen slightly.

I should have earned around 250 extra this month in overtime.

My car insurance is based over 11 payments. So this month is my non payment month I think. I'm going to leave the money in the account until the first if it still hasn't been taken I'll transfer it to savings or debt
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 25th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    I've decided to start some challenges / tasks / goals for myself.

Task 1 . Get rid of 5 things a day from my home. Sell/skip. This will free up some space and declutter my home.

Financial goal 1 stick to the budget. Meet debt payment targets and saving target each month

Health Goal 1. Continue with cutting down smoking. I tried to go cold turkey and failed miserably. I remember watching a programme with Gp advising to cut down slowly each week.
    Example week 1 10 a day week 2 9 a day etc so I'm going to try this method instead.

Time for me task.. Read for 30 minutes a day.

5/2 diet. (financial) 5 nsds a week.

I'll update daily with how it goes.
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 25th Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    july
    car 9072
    credit card 3500
    catalogue 1300
    total 13872

3rd October
    Credit card 2900
    Car 7900
    Catalogue 1300
    Total 12100

25th October
    Credit card 3500
    Catalogue 1300
    Car 7584
    Family 200 (brought a tent and some extra camping gear off them to start camping trips)

Basically I'm back to where I started in July... I know what I've spent and I'm angry at myself.

I'm going to put my car insurance renewal on my credit card next month as this will work out cheaper than. Paying monthly.

I cant really do anything now until next Month.

I have 2 more food shops.
    Car tax
    Nursery fees
    Music lessons.
    And electric to pay.

I have enough to cover this in my spends account witb about 10 to spare.

Going to finish part one of two of my medication training by tomorrow so that's one less thing to worry about.

Next month debt and savings
    150 to house - budgeted
    100 to Emergancy - budgeted
    100 to credit card - budgeted
    250 to catalogue - overtime money from this month

If I have any extra it will be split equally between catalogue and credit card
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 25th Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    My aim was 250 each month to house. But anything is better than nothing. I know it would make sense to just pay off the debt but I feel seeing my debt go down as well as my savings go up will give me more motivation
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 25th Oct 17, 5:07 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    58 spent on food shopping. 22 of it was nappies formula and wipes
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 25th Oct 17, 9:00 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Done some juggling about with money.

july
    car 9072
    credit card 3500
    catalogue 1300
    total 13872

3rd October
    Credit card 2900
    Car 7900
    Catalogue 1300
    Total 12100

24th October
    Credit card 3500
    Catalogue 1300
    Car 7584
    Family 200

Totals are 25h October
    Car 7584
    Credit card 3318
    Catalogue 1150
    Family 200

Total 12252
    So less than the start of the month. But not by much. But it's less
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 25th Oct 17, 11:51 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    I get so upset at times for getting myself in so much debt.
    I'm determined to get it all paid off before we welcome 2019 . That gives me just over a year. Ita not impossible but it won't be easy by a long shot.
    Ive also worked out to have the deposit I want by the time I'm 30 I need to save 500 a month. Again. This is possible. But again it's going to be tight. So now what do I do. Do I do a trial month set up direct debits for debts and savings and see if it is possible without feeling like we are just working / breathing to pay off debt and save. I suppose it's better than now. ATM I have an aim each month but just pay what I can mainly at the end of the month. Which can mean we end up over spending through out the month.

I'm going to use November and December as my. Trial months and then set up a more secure plan. Last time I tried doing this I forgot about the payment going out and went overdrawn.
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 26th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Today I had an OT come out to me for the first time since a child. She's basically said our property isn't suitable and we need to have a meeting with the housing association on medical grounds. I still hope to buy one day but if the council are able to move us it will put the pressure off it being so immediate. So my plans haven't changed for now. But if we are moved I've decided I'm going to squeeze in a trip to Disneyland Paris before the kids are too old to appreciate it so much and we will still buy but might leave it till nearer 35.
    Anyway like I said for now or plans are staying as they are as my hope for a transfer via the council isn't very high.
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 1st Nov 17, 5:05 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    November update
    It's the first of November so here's our update.

Wages have been paid . Money has been shuffled accordingly for the month and monthly payments have been made not including car dd that comes out later in the month. (money has been transferred)

Credit card 3300
    Catalogue 940
    Car 7583.66
    Total 11,823.66p

Savings
    House Money box 105
    House savings 250
    Emergency 250
    Total 605
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 2nd Nov 17, 11:35 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Doc has put me on stronger pain relief. So gutted it's at this point already at 25 . But I couldn't bare the pain any longer.
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 13th Nov 17, 12:09 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    First day of my weeks holiday. No actual holiday but have a few things to get done

1. Finish meds course
    2. Do job application
    3. Arrange christening
    4. Review finances.
    5. Renew and switch car insurance
    6. Chase appointments
    7. Get rid of stuff we dont need
    8. Take some me time to read my book and relax
    9. Check diary.
    10. Meet up with best friend
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 13th Nov 17, 5:43 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Started sorting christening.
    Application for middle child's school place has been done
    Finances for the next few months reviewed
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 17th Nov 17, 12:56 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    In so much pain.
    Painkillers swallowed.
    Bath running.
    Then it's eBay listing
    Bit of housework and let the sofa suck me up while I curl up and read my book
    • vintner55
    • By vintner55 17th Nov 17, 1:27 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    vintner55
    Sorry you're feeling so bad today. I've been following your blog and I am full of admiration for you. Hope you feel better soon. Hugs, Sue
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 17th Nov 17, 2:23 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    Chrystal
    I've read through your diary and have to say that I'm full of admiration for your determination.

Hope the painkillers soon kick in and you start to feel some relief.

Taking your medication regularly is so important. I know it's easy (when they're working) to think we feel OK now and are tempted that we don't need them (been there, done that) Accepting that the medication is an integral part of keeping us going can be hard for some, but it's as important as food or water - without it we can't function, so please don't stop taking it again.

Onwards and upwards pet.... you can do this. XX
    GC. Oct.17 = 261.18/ 300 = + 38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = 354.89/300 = - 54.39

• mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 17th Nov 17, 3:08 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    30 items listed for sale
    Son moved up a group in swimming.

Did the loan consolidation in the end. Will update when it's all gone though with our current debt situation. I've been really stupid with money lately so it seems we are not in much less debt than the beginning of the year but things should be easier now I just have one payment excluding the catalogue go out every month. By next year I hope to have at least 10k in savings and at least 2.5k paid off the debt. This is the minimum goal.
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 6th Dec 17, 7:51 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 5,660 Thanks
    117pauline
    How are things with you

Just thinking of you
    Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,134Posts Today

5,641Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin